Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

indigi posted:

is anyone in here an astronomer or stellar physicist or w/e

i know a little orbital mechanics? whats on yr mind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Jonny 290 posted:

i know a little orbital mechanics? whats on yr mind

what would happen if you just sorta hucked Mercury into the Sun? I'd guess nothing but maybe it would float on the surface of the plasma like a piece of wood

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

indigi posted:

what would happen if you just sorta hucked Mercury into the Sun? I'd guess nothing but maybe it would float on the surface of the plasma like a piece of wood

i'm pretty sure it would be torn into itsy-bitsy pieces by gravity before it actually hit the sun

Glans Dillzig
Nov 23, 2011

:justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost:

knickerbocker expert

this is the stupidest loving continuing saga in yospos

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah the only thing in the air there is whether or not it becomes fusion fuel before it gets ripped apart by grav. im not so good on when things get hot, i like to goof with dumb rocks orbiting things

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Glans Dillzig posted:

this is the stupidest loving continuing saga in yospos

thats exactly where i want to be

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

it would burn up like essentially anything you threw into the sun. the sun's a big ball of plasma so the concept of it's "surface" of it is not really comparable to like the Earth's surface. it just gets denser as you go in kinda like a gas giant

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

indigi posted:

is anyone in here an astronomer or stellar physicist or w/e

wwhaddup

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

prefect posted:

i'm pretty sure it would be torn into itsy-bitsy pieces by gravity before it actually hit the sun

no, roche radius of mercury as sun's satellite is smaller than sun's radius, and it would only decrease as mercury would evaporate at an accelerated rate on approach

indigi posted:

it would burn away on approach, alot, and the rest would burn on close contact. nothing would float - it would most certainly disintegrate. also, we would get royally hosed because orbits of everything would start readjusting and there is no way to tell if we would still remain in the inhabitable zone

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

^that's a great answer, I didn't think the Roche limit would come into play but I know like zero math

what's the diameter of a stellar gamma ray burst, like would it hit the entire Solar System or could it conceivably hit the Moon while missing the Earth

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

indigi posted:

what's the diameter of a stellar gamma ray burst, like would it hit the entire Solar System or could it conceivably hit the Moon while missing the Earth

sorry i absolutely suck at extrasolar stuff and weaboo rays/funy particles. basic geometry suggests that with conical bursts and pseudo-cylindrical jets the diameter and how much it hits depends on the distance to the source. i think we'd be gone way before if one could hit moon in a way that it doest hit earth

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

cinci zoo sniper posted:

no, roche radius of mercury as sun's satellite is smaller than sun's radius, and it would only decrease as mercury would evaporate at an accelerated rate on approach

drat, i got owned :tipshat:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

prefect posted:

drat, i got owned :tipshat:

dont worry, i wrote a uni thesis about comets being destroyed by sun and gravity

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i got to see halley's when i was 6 and by god i'll see it again

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

BooLoo posted:

I do! I just represented Czech Republic in the World Cup a few weeks back which was amazing. I’m good :) how are you?

doing alright here, other than replying 6 pages too late

Jonny 290 posted:

yeah, I was 8 when it came by. still have a book they made to celebrate it passing by

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Jonny 290 posted:

same here

i remember being told how lucky we were to be able to see it twice in one lifetime

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

I have (somewhere) a cassette of BBC Micro programs I mail-ordered that would let you track Halleys as it approached with some very simple graphics.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
and now we can do it with a couple clicks, goddamn

https://theskylive.com/halley-info

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Pollyanna posted:

so is it embarrassing for someone 3~4 years into their dev career to be considered a junior engineer

you should not be a junior.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Jonny 290 posted:

and now we can do it with a couple clicks, goddamn

https://theskylive.com/halley-info

i still probably can calculate those from orbital elements

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
man if you can just figure out how big the gofundme needs to be for hams to get a bird up in Molniya orbit again, we'd be forever grateful

everybody just jerks off with cheap launches and 800km high low orbit sats
which are fun, and easy to work, sure, but christ they move fast and they only have like 12 mins above horizon

thats what perplexes me about ole musky's plan to put 4000 birds in leo for 'the world internet' or whatever. handoffs gonna be a bish

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

RIP AO-40, the finest jewel the amateur satellite community could muster ,hosed up by a lovely deployment

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

bet those bestow some really lovely superpowers.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
just what we need - more space junk in the sky

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sniep posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_West_Ford

quote:

At the height of the Cold War, all international communications were either sent through undersea cables or bounced off the natural ionosphere. The United States Military was concerned that the Soviets might cut those cables, forcing the unpredictable ionosphere to be the only means of communication with overseas forces.[1] So, a ring of 480,000,000[3] copper dipole antennas (1.78 cm long needles, 25.4μm [1961] / 17.8μm [1963] in diameter)[4][5] was placed in orbit to facilitate global radio communication. The length was chosen because it was half the wavelength of the 8 GHz signal used in the study.[1]

lmfao

Clumps of them still gently caress up space navigation to this day and it is all regarded as space trash

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

cinci zoo sniper posted:

sorry i absolutely suck at extrasolar stuff and weaboo rays/funy particles. basic geometry suggests that with conical bursts and pseudo-cylindrical jets the diameter and how much it hits depends on the distance to the source. i think we'd be gone way before if one could hit moon in a way that it doest hit earth

what if a GRB hit the Sun, would there be any noticeable effect

Jonny 290 posted:

thats what perplexes me about ole musky's plan to put 4000 birds in leo for 'the world internet' or whatever. handoffs gonna be a bish

I think he's just, in the technical sense, "full of poo poo"

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Sniep posted:

lol @ this guy

https://www.dezeen.com/2018/01/30/rocket-lab-humanity-star-artificial-star-condemned-astronomers-space-graffiti-technology/

and the response

https://twitter.com/plutokiller/status/956304964367802368

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

cjs demo to the team of my c sharp and VB scripting stuff went really well :pram: looks like once i get it all back to the work network it'll integrate soundly

first, more experimentation time on syntax tree and semantic analysis of user scripts in situ

if i can make a mini-editor that provides syntax highlighting and error squigglies for our scripting it'll be a good day for ol' ciaphas

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
linux is the biggest pain in the loving rear end and I'm sorry if you have to use it in any way

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I guess I should say it's still a huge hunk of poo poo

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

SmokaDustbowl posted:

I guess I should say it's still a huge hunk of poo poo

hey smoka do you still wanna play SMAC PBEM? cazlab is being a dick so a spot has freed up if you wanna play as pirates: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3837337

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

cheese-cube posted:

hey smoka do you still wanna play SMAC PBEM? cazlab is being a dick so a spot has freed up if you wanna play as pirates: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3837337

yeah probably

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Jonny 290 posted:

yeah the only thing in the air there is whether or not it becomes fusion fuel before it gets ripped apart by grav. im not so good on when things get hot, i like to goof with dumb rocks orbiting things

mercury i guess is mostly iron and silicates. is the sun hot enough to fuse any of those things yet?

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I'm going full hikikomori again. I went for a super long walk the other day and that was nice though.

no I'm not a hoarder

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Sagebrush posted:

still have never seen that video and pretty content about it

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
my office is right next to a park with a shitload of walking trails, so I’ve been trying to get into the habit of going on a half hour midday walk.

i think just working straight through the day contributes to me feeling like poo poo in the evening.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

President Beep posted:

my office is right next to a park with a shitload of walking trails, so I’ve been trying to get into the habit of going on a half hour midday walk.

i think just working straight through the day contributes to me feeling like poo poo in the evening.

make yourself a sandwich and go sit in the park for lunch

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Sagebrush posted:

mercury i guess is mostly iron and silicates. is the sun hot enough to fuse any of those things yet?

our sun is still burning hydrogen into helium

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

SmokaDustbowl posted:

make yourself a sandwich and go sit in the park for lunch

not a bad idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
im working at a new construction site that is requiring respirators and tyveks for an obscenely minute amount of noa

tori would like it tho cause all the normal construction guys have to shave their beards in order to wear respirators and look like weird chubby man-babby faces