Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LaserShark
Oct 17, 2007

It's over, idiot. You're gonna die here and now, and the last words out of your mouth will have been 'poop train.'

Sydin posted:

They drink enough water and are available early enough that they honestly feel like a trap for new players. They have marginal utility in areas where it'd be difficult to supply oxygen, or at the bottom of your base early on if too much CO2 is leaking up, but when I first started the description made me feel like they were supposed to be a staple of early bases like the deoxydizer, and ended up burning through all my available starting water before I could locate a geyser.

I mean, you have to research to use it, while the deoxydizer is baseline. Obviously the terrarium must be better!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
I continue to be really annoyed that it's impossible to make a closed cycle system with any of the early techs, despite being able to build things that literally have "terrarium" in the name.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I think I really like this game but every time I start putting critical thought to how basic unit operations should really be represented I have an aneurysm and quit for another release or two.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
So my current biggest annoyance in this game is disinfecting. Basically, the interface for allowing and disallowing disinfecting is astonishingly bad. You have to select individual objects to enable and disable. Just let me mass select what to disinfect and what not to disinfect automatically.

What else the game really needs is scheduling. It's actually really loving annoying how drat ready colonists are to run a mile away from the job you want them to do to take a dump or eat something or have a shower because they got a little piss on them. I'd really love to be able to just designate a time of day where everyone showers and eats and maybe set rules for using the toilet. Like, use the toilet then go off to the ice zone to do that stuff I told them to do like toddlers are told to do before long journeys.

Slime fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Feb 21, 2018

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
This is what I have going on for air conditioning.

It takes50-60C oxygen and outputs 30C oxygen. Which is still hotter than I want it to be. Additionally, the thermoregulators are still taking overheat damage even with the polluted water drip system.

I guess I could isolate the thermoregulators in a room full of wheeze worts and pressurized with hydrogen in addition to the drip.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Slime posted:

So my current biggest annoyance in this game is disinfecting. Basically, the interface for allowing and disallowing disinfecting is astonishingly bad. You have to select individual objects to enable and disable. Just let me mass select what to disinfect and what not to disinfect automatically.

What else the game really needs is scheduling. It's actually really loving annoying how drat ready colonists are to run a mile away from the job you want them to do to take a dump or eat something or have a shower because they got a little piss on them. I'd really love to be able to just designate a time of day where everyone showers and eats and maybe set rules for using the toilet. Like, use the toilet then go off to the ice zone to do that stuff I told them to do like toddlers are told to do before long journeys.

Yeah, it's annoying to see them run all the way across the map to do one thing and then run all the way back to fulfill a need. I've taken to rigging up my remote job sites with one-way doors and clock sensors - once they enter, they can't leave for a while, leaving them with no choice to do some actual work.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Roadie posted:

I continue to be really annoyed that it's impossible to make a closed cycle system with any of the early techs, despite being able to build things that literally have "terrarium" in the name.

Yeah they wanted to make something approaching realistic with the gas system then made it so plants don't consume gas, then made things like growing algae in a terrarium actually COST you algae instead of it growing.

Also nthing the dupe priorities, nothing like seeing them put a exo suit go mine one block then run away then take it off to go do god knows what.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Azuth0667 posted:

This is what I have going on for air conditioning.

It takes50-60C oxygen and outputs 30C oxygen. Which is still hotter than I want it to be. Additionally, the thermoregulators are still taking overheat damage even with the polluted water drip system.

I guess I could isolate the thermoregulators in a room full of wheeze worts and pressurized with hydrogen in addition to the drip.

Thermo regulators can be finicky but you should leave them open and they can run pretty well.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
Well, I was doing okay in my latest colony but when water ran low I found out that the filter doesn't remove germs. So I went back a cycle to get a grey water system going, then realized I'd set up agriculture far too late and now I was out of water because of my reliance on mush bars. The research tree is a trap too, it turns out~

temple
Jul 29, 2006

It is a water sieve, not purifier. It removes the dirt but not the germs. Pollution and germs are different in ONI.

God I wish there was a way to kill germs at room temperature. They do not loving die.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

socialsecurity posted:

Yeah they wanted to make something approaching realistic with the gas system then made it so plants don't consume gas, then made things like growing algae in a terrarium actually COST you algae instead of it growing.

Also nthing the dupe priorities, nothing like seeing them put a exo suit go mine one block then run away then take it off to go do god knows what.

Building a pump + the wires it needs + the pipes it needs is a huge pain in the rear end because the polluted water gets them grimy, which means they want to take a shower, so they run back and take HALF a shower then run off to eat then go back to the bathroom area for a poo poo then go to finish their shower, then go back to the polluted water pool and get grimy and the cycle repeats. A timetable of when to eat and shower and take a piss would solve so much of this without needing to make automated airlocks to literally trap them there. At least with the toilet I can slap down a few remote outhouses in work areas without needing to pump water up there.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Showers are completely optional, the Grimy status doesn't actually do anything, so if showers are causing a problem you can remove them or just disable them while you're building stuff.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I have a good feeling about the new colony. Started right next to a set of ruins, so I have peppers right away; I have one large reservoir right next to the printer and another below, and I can see another set of ruins just off to the left of the first.

I'll post the seed when I get back from work.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

socialsecurity posted:

Oh good, I thought it was just me. In my first couple of games I assumed plants made oxygen and algae farms just needed an initial algae stock + ongoing water and well you can guess where those got me.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Someone asked for a beginner's guide. Here is a picture thread on imgur of a 1000+ cycle base
https://imgur.com/a/ooPpt

temple fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Feb 22, 2018

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
I've found that setting up a central air system once you hit coal generators using the starter oxygen generators works really well. Someone mentioned that in this thread and adding in some air pressure sensors to limit power and algae use really makes the system last a long time.

I have it set so that O2 outputs to 4 points in my base, with one pressure sensor beside an exit vent. When the pressure reaches a certain point it shuts off the air pump and O2 generation to save resources, and I haven't had issues for dozens of cycles.

My biggest issues now is creating a bigger O2 farm based on water in an ice biome below me, and also starting up oil processing just below that to get some plastic to make some petroleum generators.

Batteries in the ice biome are sitting at -23C right now but for now I am keeping my coal generators in the lower part of my base.

Hopefully the ice biome will keep the O2 generated cool enough to keep my base around 20C, but we will have to see.

I'd really like to get to the point where I can try some oil cooling for my base.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
i thought the ice biomes didn't actually generate any cold beyond what they just started with

unless they have wheezeworts in them of course

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i thought the ice biomes didn't actually generate any cold beyond what they just started with

unless they have wheezeworts in them of course

It's my understanding that they do, but it isn't a high rate. I do have 3 wheezeworts in the closest one to me which probably will help.

Regardless it's a good stopgap measure while I figure out how to cool my base using other means.

Fano
Oct 20, 2010

Slime posted:

Building a pump + the wires it needs + the pipes it needs is a huge pain in the rear end because the polluted water gets them grimy, which means they want to take a shower, so they run back and take HALF a shower then run off to eat then go back to the bathroom area for a poo poo then go to finish their shower, then go back to the polluted water pool and get grimy and the cycle repeats. A timetable of when to eat and shower and take a piss would solve so much of this without needing to make automated airlocks to literally trap them there. At least with the toilet I can slap down a few remote outhouses in work areas without needing to pump water up there.

I haven't played the game in a few updates but can't you kinda do this by attaching automation timers to doors to only allow them to open during a certain time of day? e.g. only unlock the door to your showers during the morning time.

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

Managing air pressure is really difficult. I'm trying to purge all the toxic gases from my base but keep running into overpressure into the areas i'm trying to vent it to.

CO2 becomes a real problem and all the methods to get rid of it use up water which seems to be a limited resource.

Also, how do I operate out in hostile areas? I learned too late that I need to leave the safety of the starting area to get certain resources, but it's all hostile to life. Do I need to basically build diving bells where my dupes can take breaks to breathe?

Sanzuo fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Feb 23, 2018

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

Sanzuo posted:

Managing air pressure is really difficult. I'm trying to purge all the toxic gases from my base but keep running into overpressure into the areas i'm trying to vent it to.

CO2 becomes a real problem and all the methods to get rid of it use up water which seems to be a limited resource.

Also, how do I operate out in hostile areas? I learned too late that I need to leave the safety of the starting area to get certain resources, but it's all hostile to life. Do I need to basically build diving bells where my dupes can take breaks to breathe?

You can setup remote stations with O2 generators inside that trigger on pressure decrease so you always have some O2 in there. put a sealed door on the front and you have a space they can run to.

Also once you find a water geyser you have infinite water once you figure out how to cool it.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Hamelekim posted:

It's my understanding that they do, but it isn't a high rate. I do have 3 wheezeworts in the closest one to me which probably will help.

Regardless it's a good stopgap measure while I figure out how to cool my base using other means.

Nope! Wheezeworts and those weird nullifiers are the only things that are anti-entropic. That is, the only things that are explicitly there to remove heat from the system. You've got the bug corner cases where machines output at specific temperatures no matter their input and dripping tiny amounts of water cooling things down far more significantly than they should, but they really shouldn't be relied upon to be available once ONI is fully released.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sage Grimm posted:

Nope! Wheezeworts and those weird nullifiers are the only things that are anti-entropic. That is, the only things that are explicitly there to remove heat from the system. You've got the bug corner cases where machines output at specific temperatures no matter their input and dripping tiny amounts of water cooling things down far more significantly than they should, but they really shouldn't be relied upon to be available once ONI is fully released.

I'd imagine even in full release state you're probably still going to see temperature weirdness due to difficult to solve issues like floating point weirdness.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Cold biomes don't generate cold but they start at a low enough temperature that you can stick fairly hot machinery in them and the biome will remain cold for hefty amount of cycles. Which is plenty of time to get a heatsink system tied into a nullifier setup.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I'd imagine even in full release state you're probably still going to see temperature weirdness due to difficult to solve issues like floating point weirdness.
Yup, but if you've decent alternatives and the weirdness is low then it's not really going to be a thing. Right now you've limited in-game options and the weirdness is weird enough to be easier than the "real" options.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

It wasn't so bad until they moved the ice biome away from the starting position and cut down on wheezewort seeds by quite a bit.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
what are the temperature input -> output drops that are still active anyway

the only ones i'm aware of are the electrolyzer and the water purifier that both will take any temp water and output fixed temps

i know that the lavatory and sink both conserve fluid temps now and i suspect the shower does too

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Conserving temps is just fine as long as you use insulated pipes, there isn't a ton of heat transfer out the device itself.

I was able to manage the electrolyzer's 40c output with nothing but wheezeworts, and since showers are optional that kept my base habitable temp. I stuck my plastic presses in the cold biome next to the nullifier and my natural gas stuff in a box with insulated sides facing my base so the heat bleeds out in the other direction. Worked for me, but I haven't played since tubular.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
As I promised, here's the seed: 660743227

Pool / breakroom ruins visible top left there, and another set of ruins maybe 15 tiles further left. Sadly it's just a bed and a timer, but there are EVEN MORE useless ruins close by~

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

temple posted:

God I wish there was a way to kill germs at room temperature. They do not loving die.

Airborne germs are insanely easy to deal with. They thrive in polluted air, so the moment you clean that using deodorizer they start to die off (provided there isn't an infinite germ source nearby like a slime block).

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

What annoys the hell out of me about this game is that most power-consuming buildings consume power even when idle. So you either need to shut them on and off manually, or build some sort of automation scheme for each one (and that's simply not possible for stuff like electric grills).

temple
Jul 29, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

Airborne germs are insanely easy to deal with. They thrive in polluted air, so the moment you clean that using deodorizer they start to die off (provided there isn't an infinite germ source nearby like a slime block).
They can take a long time to die and they will multiply if a medium is present. 1 tile of PO2 can keep germs going

enraged_camel posted:

What annoys the hell out of me about this game is that most power-consuming buildings consume power even when idle. So you either need to shut them on and off manually, or build some sort of automation scheme for each one (and that's simply not possible for stuff like electric grills).
That's not really true. You can overload circuits to as many watts as you want. The circuit won't overload until the machines draw over 1k. I know because I used to overload my kitchen on purpose because I had 1 chef and it was impossible for it use multiple machines.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

what are the temperature input -> output drops that are still active anyway

the only ones i'm aware of are the electrolyzer and the water purifier that both will take any temp water and output fixed temps

i know that the lavatory and sink both conserve fluid temps now and i suspect the shower does too
I'm more curious about hydrogen generators since they have no output stream. Either the heat disappears or it doesn't. If the game actually applies first law of thermodynamics "correctly" for a reaction with no products, the generator itself heats up. With no accumulation or back-pressure to stop you from pumping more hot gas/liquid into the system. Its max temperature would depend on how well it conducts/convects/radiates to the surroundings.

In which case you could pump hydrogen over thermo regulators to dump all of your excess heat into an abyssalite/tungsten power plant*, built in your least favorite swamp.

Calling this stupid pointless invention the Phonon Accumulator. Depending on which way ONI breaks physics, the accumulator either gets so hot it melts absolutely everything (and then itself), or it's an infinite heatsink.

* diamond tempshift plates optional.
Also maybe a shutoff valve if you're a little baby and don't want a meltdown
Or use it to create superheated steam for a turbine if you want even more electricity for electrolysis... and use the leftover steam to heat up more hydrogen! Bonus points if you're boiling recycled sewage and/or swamp water, because I'm pretty sure that heating to 500C kills the bacteria?

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Feb 23, 2018

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

temple posted:

They can take a long time to die and they will multiply if a medium is present. 1 tile of PO2 can keep germs going

O2 causes slimelung germ count to decrease by half every 2 cycles. PO2 causes it to double every 0.5 cycles. So yeah, you need to make sure the PO2 is gone.

Fortunately that's pretty easy to do since PO2 is heavier which means you can put some deodorizers at the bottom of the room and they'll clear it all out pretty quickly. The germs won't ever die fully but there will be too few of them to cause disease.

quote:

That's not really true. You can overload circuits to as many watts as you want. The circuit won't overload until the machines draw over 1k. I know because I used to overload my kitchen on purpose because I had 1 chef and it was impossible for it use multiple machines.

Ah yeah, I see now. I had to go into the Energy tab and stare at the power consumption for a few seconds, and you are right, it fluctuates with usage. Yay, one fewer thing to be OCD about!

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

silentsnack posted:

I'm more curious about hydrogen generators since they have no output stream. Either the heat disappears or it doesn't. If the game actually applies first law of thermodynamics "correctly" for a reaction with no products, the generator itself heats up. With no accumulation or back-pressure to stop you from pumping more hot gas/liquid into the system. Its max temperature would depend on how well it conducts/convects/radiates to the surroundings.

In which case you could pump hydrogen over thermo regulators to dump all of your excess heat into an abyssalite/tungsten power plant*, built in your least favorite swamp.

Calling this stupid pointless invention the Phonon Accumulator. Depending on which way ONI breaks physics, the accumulator either gets so hot it melts absolutely everything (and then itself), or it's an infinite heatsink.

* diamond tempshift plates optional.
Also maybe a shutoff valve if you're a little baby and don't want a meltdown
Or use it to create superheated steam for a turbine if you want even more electricity for electrolysis... and use the leftover steam to heat up more hydrogen! Bonus points if you're boiling recycled sewage and/or swamp water, because I'm pretty sure that heating to 500C kills the bacteria?

Speaking of hydrogen generators, I never seem to get them to work at 100% capacity, mostly because electrolyzers stop working after a while due to max pressure (base gets filled with oxygen, and pumps in the electrolyzer room can't pump any more out), which limits their hydrogen output.

I need to remove O2 from the system somehow, but the only way I can think of is by liquifying it (or constantly expanding the base). Is there some other trick? I know Carbon Skimmers remove CO2 but that's nowhere enough.

Slow News Day fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Feb 23, 2018

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

silentsnack posted:

Hydrogen generators generate a fixed amount of heat, presumably the in-game temperature of burning hydrogen. Someone better at real science correct me here but surely the hydrogen going in hotter would keep the output temperature the same with hotter hydrogen just burning more efficiently? Catching fire faster? I don't know how hydrogen generators generate electricity.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
If they were burning the hydrogen, that should mean you'd get a load of water at the end. It would also eat a load of oxygen, thus making the loop of throwing water through an electrolyzer and pumping the hydrogen into the hydrogen generator was a net loss of energy.

Honestly the game is actually really weird when it comes to things being used up. Like, okay. You convert water to oxygen and hydrogen, the oxygen gets breathed and the hydrogen...vanishes in the generator? While the oxygen gets used to make carbon dioxide as it's used by the body. This carbon dioxide gets pulled in by a carbon skimmer and...does the extra mass come out as more polluted water than you put in water? Because if you get the same amount of polluted water as the water that went in, you've got some mass vanishing there. And do they pull carbon out of the CO2, or is it just dumping the CO2 itself into the water? No, that doesn't make sense. If it was filling the water with CO2 you'd get carbonated water, not polluted water.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, hydrogen generator just converts hydrogen to energy, there's no byproducts which is weird. Coal generator also doesn't use up oxygen, it just spews out tons of co2, with no clear source of the o2. Obviously it's some weird scifi poo poo going on :v:

temple
Jul 29, 2006

the hydrogen generator doesn't generate hydrogen!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

temple posted:

the hydrogen generator doesn't generate hydrogen!
The coal generator doesn't generate coal either!