Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

The shape knob alters the shape of the wave you've selected with the switch. It will either move the top of the triangle wave to the left or right, creating a sawtooth wave, or change the square wave to it's positive or negative side. Really, it's just there to give you a broader range of sounds than you might get in a similar pedal. By having it in the middle, you're not changing the wave form so it's effectively bypassing that particular control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
So I saw Roger Waters last night and Dave Kilminster was using a Band of Gypsies Germanium Fuzz Face for the Fuzzy Gilmour tones and he blew my tits off.

ERGO.

Recommend me a Germanium Fuzz Face clone that has a bias knob?I know I could just buy a BOGFF but I want something I can tweak to get my own noise too :)

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Pauly Shore posted:

Traded a Fender Princeton Reverb Reissue + Cash for this semihollow Jazzmaster partscaster with Mastery Bridge and Rothstein loaded pickguard with Novak pickups.

Hope the pictures aren’t table breakers. Posting from mobile.

Late to the game here but holy poo poo I want that and it owns owns owns. How heavy is it being a semi?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

H13 posted:

So I saw Roger Waters last night and Dave Kilminster was using a Band of Gypsies Germanium Fuzz Face for the Fuzzy Gilmour tones and he blew my tits off.

ERGO.

Recommend me a Germanium Fuzz Face clone that has a bias knob?I know I could just buy a BOGFF but I want something I can tweak to get my own noise too :)

The bias control on a FF is a very simple mod any tech should be able to perform for cheap. Might be the cheapest way to go for this. Also, not just any germanium Fuzz Face will do: carefully selecting the two transistors for their hfe (gain) and leakage is crucial to getting the best sound: transistor 1 should be approximately 60% hfe of transistor 2. I'm not sure why that is but it's been researched and verified over and over and over again. A lot of clone manufacturers just stick any old combo of germanium transistors in there without the knowledge on how to select them and you get a kind of boring fuzz. Also, both transistors should have some leakage but not excessively so, as having some not-insignificat amount is crucial to the sound as well. Analog.Man and other top-shelf boutique dudes know about this but don't want to talk about it as its key to why people think they are better builders than others.

Upshot: get a Dunlop Germanium FF and have it modded (as opposed to paying a shitload and waiting forever for a boutique FF). Just look at what it costs to have one built by someone who knows what they are doing:

https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=jext%20face

$300 smackeroos! Bonkers!

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
edit: whoops nope.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
Shout out to Dang It Bhabhi! (again.)
Picked up the Berhinger (?!) SF300 SuperFuzz clone for all of $24 brand new on Amazon. Holy gently caress, this thing is a wall of sound. I cannot get over: the incredible sound, the affordable price, the utter chintziness of its plastic chassis. I loving LOVE it. It now sits comfortably next to its (much more expensive) brothers, the EHX OpAmp Big Muff, and the Stomp Under Foot Ram's Head.
Holy balls, you were not kidding. Incredible bang for the buck! Anybody with even a passing interest in fuzz should get one. Do NOT be put off by the Behringer name; this thing loving rips.
edit: pic:

betterinsodapop fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Feb 15, 2018

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

betterinsodapop posted:

Shout out to Dang It Bhabhi! (again.)
Picked up the Berhinger (?!) SF300 SuperFuzz clone for all of $24 brand new on Amazon. Holy gently caress, this thing is a wall of sound. I cannot get over: the incredible sound, the affordable price, the utter chintziness of its plastic chassis. I loving LOVE it. It now sits comfortably next to its (much more expensive) brothers, the EHX OpAmp Big Muff, and the Stomp Under Foot Ram's Head.
Holy balls, you were not kidding. Incredible bang for the buck! Anybody with even a passing interest in fuzz should get one. Do NOT be put off by the Behringer name; this thing loving rips.
edit: pic:

I love the box art of the Paul Allen type going all bluesdad on his superstrat because lord it does not fit the sound that comes out of the thing (not unless mister suit-with-jeans is in a sludge band with the weirdest gimmick ever.) Granted I've only been playing fairly hot humbuckers into it so maybe it's a different story with low output singlecoils.

Found my picture from a few pages back:

BDA fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Feb 15, 2018

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Got the Han-Taun yesterday:

Never owned anything Klon based before, and I'm digging this thing. Has some nice overdrive in the second half of the gain control, and a HUGE amount of boost from the output. I'm using it for bass, but it'd probably do really well in front of a tube amp, or driving another pedal.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Juaguocio posted:

Got the Han-Taun yesterday:

Never owned anything Klon based before, and I'm digging this thing. Has some nice overdrive in the second half of the gain control, and a HUGE amount of boost from the output. I'm using it for bass, but it'd probably do really well in front of a tube amp, or driving another pedal.

poo poo, I want this for the look alone. I love it.

Gorewar
Dec 24, 2004

Bang your head
I finally got the EMG 81 & 85 for my Rhoads V:

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

MrSargent posted:

poo poo, I want this for the look alone. I love it.

Idiotbox pedals are a great value too. I got the Han-Taun for $99 plus shipping directly from their website during Boxing Week.

After playing with it a bit, I feel like I may prefer the Blower Box, but I won't be sure until I can A/B them at volume. Hopefully this Sunday.

VELOUR SPACESUIT
Feb 4, 2008

Well well well, this looks to be one disturbingly erotic post

Juaguocio posted:

Idiotbox pedals are a great value too. I got the Han-Taun for $99 plus shipping directly from their website during Boxing Week.

Backing up this sentiment. On top of every pedal being quality and affordable, the guy who runs it is extremely nice and helpful. Dang solid customer service. I've got a Dungeon Master and a Dimension X Delay.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Welp. That was unplanned, but I've always wanted one, and it was way too good a deal to pass up (even with a flaky rhythm circuit, which, eh).

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Schpyder posted:

Welp. That was unplanned, but I've always wanted one, and it was way too good a deal to pass up (even with a flaky rhythm circuit, which, eh).

Nice. Welcome to the JM club

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Hahahaha oh man.

So, this JMJM was used at my local GC. It was only $30 less than the new ones with their president's day sale pricing, but it had a MUCH nicer rosewood board and much nicer fretwork, so I decided to go with the used one.

So after getting it home and playing it for a bit, I noticed the pickguard was bulging a bit in the middle. Probably a wire stuck between the guard and the body, easy enough to fix. So I pulled off the strings and unscrewed the PG, and had a heck of a time getting it over the pickup covers. But I did, and sure enough some of the wires were getting on the body wood between the pickup routes.

And then I noticed the pickup wires. Extra long, higher gauge, and covered with vintage cloth insulation. No way those are Squier stock, I thought to myself. And the cause of the pickup cover bulging was the leads on one of the pickups wedging themselves a little bit, since they're actually top-mounted. And actually jazzmaster design pickups. Definitely not Squier stock. And then I found the couple bits of the box that the previous owner had stuck under the neck pickup to raise it up a bit more...

This thing has loving SD Antiquity IIs. :woop:

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3

Schpyder posted:

Nothing like a couple hundred extra dollars worth of pickups jammed into your new guitar! According to a rig rundown I watched, he actually uses Antiquities on some of his JMs. Nice find!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Schpyder posted:

Hahahaha oh man.

So, this JMJM was used at my local GC. It was only $30 less than the new ones with their president's day sale pricing, but it had a MUCH nicer rosewood board and much nicer fretwork, so I decided to go with the used one.

So after getting it home and playing it for a bit, I noticed the pickguard was bulging a bit in the middle. Probably a wire stuck between the guard and the body, easy enough to fix. So I pulled off the strings and unscrewed the PG, and had a heck of a time getting it over the pickup covers. But I did, and sure enough some of the wires were getting on the body wood between the pickup routes.

And then I noticed the pickup wires. Extra long, higher gauge, and covered with vintage cloth insulation. No way those are Squier stock, I thought to myself. And the cause of the pickup cover bulging was the leads on one of the pickups wedging themselves a little bit, since they're actually top-mounted. And actually jazzmaster design pickups. Definitely not Squier stock. And then I found the couple bits of the box that the previous owner had stuck under the neck pickup to raise it up a bit more...

Nice. The only surprise I found when I got my Classic Player JM was that someone had made a really lovely shim out of a guitar teacher’s business card that was making the action incredibly high

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Bought another cheap guitar

And for only one reason

I've seen a lot of Harmonys, but I have never seen an SG. Pretty much impossible to put a date on it, but the control layout is based on what Gibson used from ~1979~1987. Neck plate is a small one, same as what's on my '70s Lark Les Paul and most "lawsuit era" bolt neck guitars. Going to have to start searching old Sears and JC Penny catalogs to see if anything similar shows up.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

widefault posted:

Bought another cheap guitar

And for only one reason

I've seen a lot of Harmonys, but I have never seen an SG. Pretty much impossible to put a date on it, but the control layout is based on what Gibson used from ~1979~1987. Neck plate is a small one, same as what's on my '70s Lark Les Paul and most "lawsuit era" bolt neck guitars. Going to have to start searching old Sears and JC Penny catalogs to see if anything similar shows up.

Whatup, knock-off SG-buddy.

I just got a Sakai SG. Never heard of the brand but it's in great condition considering the guitar's probably older than me.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.
I bought a cheap guitar yesterday. Also a pawnshop find, A Yamaha scc500. Nice guitar. Neck feels exactly like a Gibson SG. Probably gonna keep it.
https://imgur.com/gallery/cJBpi

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
I accidentally posted this in "stupid music poo poo" the first time so here's a crosspost:

I traded in my Schecter and got a better Schecter:

Matte black guitars are really hard to photograph.
I think it's a Blackjack SLS C-1 FR, but I'm not 100% sure because they don't seem to make this particular variant of it anymore. (Schecter, why is your naming scheme so goddamn complicated?)
SD Blackouts, real Floyd Rose and I ended up paying about $400 for it. The bridge needs a little attention so I get to learn what that's all about; fortunately I've also got my hardtail EC-1000 to play in the meantime.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

The EHX Ravish is still on backorder.

My cat likes to jump on the bed when I play The Thin Ice (it's her song, and I've modified the lyrics to suit her, because I'm a lonely nerd) and lay down various lines on the looper (bass, chords, etc.) and then play Spanish guitar over the chords.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
So Will's Easy Guitar kept coming up in my Youtube Related links and it looks like some fantastically hilarious guitar nerd Youtube Drama is going on.

Anybody got the story?

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

H13 posted:

So Will's Easy Guitar kept coming up in my Youtube Related links and it looks like some fantastically hilarious guitar nerd Youtube Drama is going on.

Anybody got the story?

posted about it a little in the stupid music poo poo thread, but basically an obviously mentally ill person is obsessed with some other dumb guitar youtube guy

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Krustic posted:

I bought a cheap guitar yesterday. Also a pawnshop find, A Yamaha scc500. Nice guitar. Neck feels exactly like a Gibson SG. Probably gonna keep it.
https://imgur.com/gallery/cJBpi

A friend of mine in college had an old 70s Yamaha SG2000, it was a really nice playing guitar

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Has: '59 Gibson Les Paul Standard Historic in Ice Tea VOS

Lacks: Sense to vacuum before taking picture

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

How many Roombas can you get for one of those?

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Didn't realise how much I was missing a reverb until I traded an old monitor for this in Wants. Its currently after my delay, a shame the reverse cuts off so abruptly, guess I need another reverb to put after it.

The other settings are all cool, and if you use the 'right' output instead of the 'left' one it continues the reverb tail for the last note after the pedal is switched off for a smoother transition.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Goddamn man. That thing looks sexy as hell. What are you playing through to complement it? (I'm gonna say a Blues Jr)

Also are those Marshall pedals really good? They always looked cheap to me like Dan Electros, which also have people claiming they sound awesome.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Its 'digital' sounding when you quickly adjust a parameter like room size. If you aren't doing massive tweaking on the fly it's fine, pretty much the same thing you get with a lot of reverbs, even stuff like the Waves or Aether plugins- reverb size doesn't have the same smooth warpy character when changing time (aka size) like on a delay does.

It was valued at £40 second hand, around £79 new. Some have complained about quality control on this particular reverb modeller, though this tends to refer to the pedal freaking out or some settings (mostly reverse) not working after around 30 mins of use, I have not experienced this yet . In terms of physical build, it's metal and feels pretty robust to me, the knobs are firm but turn smoothly.

I have a Marshall Shredmaster from donkeys years ago and that thing works absolutely fine, also solidly built. My brother has a Jackhammer (same line as the Reflector) and has had no issues, so in my experience Marshall pedals are decent for the money- I feel far less wary treading on these than I do on plastic housings like Behringers or Wasabis.

NonzeroCircle fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Feb 23, 2018

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

“Nah it’s cool, I’ll just lay this guitar on the ground so that the entire thing is held up by the angled Gibson headstock that is notorious for snapping under even the mildest pressure.”

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

syntaxfunction posted:

Goddamn man. That thing looks sexy as hell. What are you playing through to complement it? (I'm gonna say a Blues Jr)

Also are those Marshall pedals really good? They always looked cheap to me like Dan Electros, which also have people claiming they sound awesome.

Like a Bluesbreaker or a Shred Master?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

GreatGreen posted:

“Nah it’s cool, I’ll just lay this guitar on the ground so that the entire thing is held up by the angled Gibson headstock that is notorious for snapping under even the mildest pressure.”
Wasn't that the whole reason Devin designed his Framus guitar around? Well, that and the evertune, I guess.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

GreatGreen posted:

so you literally think i can't lay a guitar down to take a picture? it's not even an interesting troll, I give it like a C.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Not home yet, but found this at the pawnshop. Early 90's Korean Hamer "Slammer Series" in transparent cherry. Equivalent to the USA Special FM from what I can tell. Set neck, mahogany back and neck with a thick flame maple top. The "binding" is the unstained edge of the maple top, which I have not seen on the USA models. Really needs a setup, but otherwise great shape.

The Korean "Slammer Series" have a pretty good reputation from what little info I can find, and for $150 it seems worth it to me.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

syntaxfunction posted:

yeah they're pretty good. i used to have the jackhammer, and it's one of the few distortion pedals i'd use in lieu of an amp's gain channel. iirc the prices on them never got crazy like the earlier marshall pedals, so they're still a decent bargain

e: and checking reverb they're still like $50 which is kinda amazing considering what "boutique" pedals that purport to do the same thing but nowhere near as well cost and the company name slapped on it

The Muppets On PCP fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Feb 23, 2018

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Huh good to hear on the Marshall pedals. I always assumed they were flimsy eh clones. Are there any I should flat out avoid? I see them floating around cheap ssometimes.

widefault posted:

The Korean "Slammer Series" have a pretty good reputation from what little info I can find, and for $150 it seems worth it to me.

Unf that thing is sexy as poo poo. Old Hamers just have some personality to them, they're always cool. Are those for real SDs or are they "Seymour Duncans"?

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
It's not high-res enough to say for sure but the logo looks like duncan designed.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Yeah, they're Duncan Designed. Apparently Hamer was one of the original group that requested cheaper versions in 1995, and this guitar would have been made around the same time.

I've got a Squier Master Series Esprit that has the JB/Jazz based ones, and I really didn't like them, but after digging it back out recently they sound a lot better. Of course, that's most likely a result of going from an ancient red knob 15 watt solid state Fender to tubes. No idea what version is in the Hamer, guess I'll have to pull them and see if they're labeled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I've got a Hammer Slammer bass that is the same body shape size and all. It's my go to "lead bass:v:" bass due to it's short scale and the body being the same size as a regular guitar.