Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Not sure if this is common knowledge, but I just discovered that if the screen is off then turning the crown will wake the screen up by brightening it up from 0%. And if you are in Theater Mode then turning the crown will raise the brightness and wherever you stop is how bright the screen is while you use the watch. Pretty neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

My wife surprised me with a late Valentine’s Day present of a space gray series 3! I picked up some fun bands and read through the thread, but sill had a question. Does anyone suggest a nice but not expensive extra charger? I would love to have a second one for travel, but do not know what to look for.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Snowmankilla posted:

My wife surprised me with a late Valentine’s Day present of a space gray series 3! I picked up some fun bands and read through the thread, but sill had a question. Does anyone suggest a nice but not expensive extra charger? I would love to have a second one for travel, but do not know what to look for.

Just get the official Apple one.

I don’t even know if there are knock offs yet but IMO just get the Apple one.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I’ll also mention I’ve gotten 3.5 days out of a single charge by turning it off at night.

Going to second the Apple charger.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I’ll also mention I’ve gotten 3.5 days out of a single charge by turning it off at night.

Going to second the Apple charger.

Yes this also works. The 3 gets great battery life.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Awesome! Thanks!

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

I've got a Series 3 watch, and last week I upgraded from the 6S it was paired with to an iPhone X. Since then, I get notifications for iMessages on the watch regardless of whether I've viewed them on the phone. Even if the chat's open on the screen of my phone, my watch will still buzz when I receive a message (and then buzz again two minutes later) which is getting pretty annoying.

This was never a problem before I switched phones. There must be some setting messed up somewhere, but I don't really know where to look - any ideas?

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
I had a similar issue where the phone would keep buzzing even though I was looking at it and wearing the watch. I think I solved it by unpairing and re-pairing the watch, which generally fixes most problems (lovely battery life after an update and others, too).

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Zwille posted:

I had a similar issue where the phone would keep buzzing even though I was looking at it and wearing the watch. I think I solved it by unpairing and re-pairing the watch, which generally fixes most problems (lovely battery life after an update and others, too).

Unpair/re-pair is the “have you tried rebooting the machine” in TYOOL 2018.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Violator posted:

Not sure if this is common knowledge, but I just discovered that if the screen is off then turning the crown will wake the screen up by brightening it up from 0%. And if you are in Theater Mode then turning the crown will raise the brightness and wherever you stop is how bright the screen is while you use the watch. Pretty neat.

:aaaaa: I never knew about this.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Dick Nipples posted:

Unpair/re-pair is the “have you tried rebooting the machine” in TYOOL 2018.

And it worked too! Thanks Zwille.

If only it didn’t take half an hour. Oh well...

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Yeah that bit is annoying. Also nobody do that unless you got a way to charge your watch because on my old S0 it’ll nearly kill a full battery.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Zwille posted:

Yeah that bit is annoying. Also nobody do that unless you got a way to charge your watch because on my old S0 it’ll nearly kill a full battery.

I thought it made you charge it when you want to do the pairing process? Or is that only for OS updates.

Like I thought it wouldn’t start pairing unless it was in the charger.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Nah I paired mine straight out of the box when I was in a bar. Doesn't need to be charging.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

That’s only for updates, yeah.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Violator posted:

This doesn't work on my Series 0. :confuoot:

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

fordan posted:

You need to turn it quite a long way. Do you have the switch for it in Settings - General - Wake Screen?

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4

dissss posted:

You need to turn it quite a long way. Do you have the switch for it in Settings - General - Wake Screen?

Doesn’t work on my Series 1 either and no such setting. Oh well!

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Some redditor figured out that you can turn gifs into live photos and when you sync them to your watch you can have animated watch faces.

Thought it was pretty sweet.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AppleWatch/comments/7yd8cb/my_collection_of_star_wars_watch_face_images/

The process involves using a phone app (intolive) to convert the gifs to live photos, then the last frame of the animation has to be set as the key photo in the photos app.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

fordan posted:

Only S2 and S3 for some reason.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
Wow dictation on my watch (s1) has taken a complete poo poo. Takes forever to bring up, then if it even does manage to display text it’s usually wrong. Most of the time I’ll get a failed message even if I’m right next to my phone, on WiFi.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Same happens to me on my S3. Siri is loving terrible. The same thing happens on my phone a lot too.

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon
Does anyone know how the watch send SMS message? I've had a couple replies fail recently. In the first case, I was away from my phone, although both the watch and phone were on the same WiFi network. I figured the lack of direct connection was the issue though. Then today it failed again, even though both devices were next to each other and my network connection was fine. More annoyingly, it takes like a minute or two to fail out.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Tambreet posted:

Does anyone know how the watch send SMS message? I've had a couple replies fail recently. In the first case, I was away from my phone, although both the watch and phone were on the same WiFi network. I figured the lack of direct connection was the issue though. Then today it failed again, even though both devices were next to each other and my network connection was fine. More annoyingly, it takes like a minute or two to fail out.

Even more annoyingly, the watch will tell you it failed and actually send, leading to duplicates when you don't double check the failure on the phone.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Tambreet posted:

Yeah I’ve been having mine fail for no reason lately. Maybe it’s a bug with the current OS I dunno.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Kohl's has $60-70 Kohl's cash on the S3 (LTE version as well), plus 3X yes2you rewards if Kohl's is your jam.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

My battery hasn't been lasting anywhere near as long as it used to (Series 1, about a year and change old). Literally died on me today at 4pm, after taking it off the charger at like 7:30 or so.

Unpair / Re-pair the way to go to see if that solves the issue?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

OGB posted:

My battery hasn't been lasting anywhere near as long as it used to (Series 1, about a year and change old). Literally died on me today at 4pm, after taking it off the charger at like 7:30 or so.

Unpair / Re-pair the way to go to see if that solves the issue?

Yeah maybe try a restore as well.

Also you could see if there is an app doing it just uninstall everything and go from there.

HiredGun
Sep 3, 2004

Obesity loves company
I’ve also got the frozen workout app launch freeze issue on my S0. Logged a bug report with Apple.

Currently I’m opening the app, force quitting it and then opening it again, waiting for it to load, and then starting my workout. Frustrating.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah maybe try a restore as well.

Also you could see if there is an app doing it just uninstall everything and go from there.

Ended up doing a complete wipe, and that seems to have done the trick. Almost 11am and I'm at 94%.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oops, traded in my company 6S for an 8 today and forgot to unpair my phone before I wiped it. Now I'm trying to add my S2 to the new phone and it's asking for a passcode which is wrong no matter what I try. Very odd. Trying to reset the passcode on my watch but force pressing on the "power off" slider doesn't seem to do anything. Could it be because I'm not on a charger? Not sure how else to approach this.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204567

Says you have to keep it on the charger.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah, was hoping it was just a suggestion rather than a requirement but now that I'm home I threw it on the charger and everything worked as expected. Thanks!

G5ANDY
Sep 19, 2004

HiredGun posted:

I’ve also got the frozen workout app launch freeze issue on my S0. Logged a bug report with Apple.

Currently I’m opening the app, force quitting it and then opening it again, waiting for it to load, and then starting my workout. Frustrating.

This happens with my S3 on workout and music. :-(

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Are you on the latest OS? I've had zero issues since updating.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
The lag with the Now Playing app went away on my S1 after a recent update, but the workout thing is still there (if you don’t launch it for a day or so).

HiredGun
Sep 3, 2004

Obesity loves company

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Are you on the latest OS? I've had zero issues since updating.

Yep on the latest OS.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

All my problems with os4 (lag opening music, workout app freezing) instantly disappeared with 4.2

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Dang, the sport loop is real comfy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Pants Donkey posted:

Dang, the sport loop is real comfy.

It’s the most comfortable/unnoticeable watchband I’ve ever had.