Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
Does anyone have a recommended week by week for an Escalation League for blacksmiths?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
It's going to get weird if your group is using the default escalation rules because you don't have a mascot. Do you know how that's working?

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

LeSquide posted:

It's going to get weird if your group is using the default escalation rules because you don't have a mascot. Do you know how that's working?

I was told I'd use 1 Master, 2 apprentices week 1, add a master, add an apprentice, add a master.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

omnibobb posted:

I was told I'd use 1 Master, 2 apprentices week 1, add a master, add an apprentice, add a master.

Yeah, this is how our escalation league did it as well, and it is rough running a 5 influence team.

I would try either Furnace, Cinder, Cast or Hearth, Alloy, and any other apprentice, maybe cinder.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Errata dropped, farmers reigned in a bit. Grange will still be a monster when receiving. http://steamforged.com/sfg-news-blog/gb-errata-march-18

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
Sounds great; me and a buddy are both starting the game, I picked Farmers and he picked Morticians in preparation for Rat Catchers.

He got told that Farmers are "totally OP" and started whining about how I chose the powerfaction (I chose the faction that looked cool). I'm glad that stuff has apparently been toned down so that I can now kick his butt without him telling me that my mans are just too good on the pitch. Mind you, we haven't even played yet ;)

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Farmers are likely mid tier now, as morticians are.

Morticians however are a control guild that are not super easy to pilot if you don't have a solid understanding of game fundamentals and the opposing guild's game plan, and making mistakes is costly, so your buddy's perception probably isn't going to change for awhile

GEMorris fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Mar 5, 2018

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Veteran Decimate is gonna push Brewers into mid-tier. Good days are coming you alcohol fetishists.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
*Sadly hang Union flag*

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Any opinions on Godtear from SA members? I went ahead and backed, since I can always cancel later but if I back now I can ensure the bonus.

If I stick with it, probably gonna get the dwarf warband (love me some dwarves) and might consider the elementalist duo/orc/sea warbands.

Also vMinx is looking super nice. Still need to find locals to split with.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
I'm backing god tear. Aesthetically I am not a fan, but the fact that it is played on a grid is what is making me give it a chance. Miniatures games that rely on placement are always extremely succeptible to cheating, which is a major turn off for me with regards to competitive play.

So hopefully I will like GT and it will develop a competitive scene.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

A bunch of local WMH and GB players are getting into it. Seems like the beta rules have been changing kind of quickly.

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
Played my first couple games and I'm hooked! Took a while since I only play fully painted. Coming from Warmachine, I felt at home after a couple matches. Got my rear end handed to me by a seasoned Alchemist player a couple times, gave a buddy a demo lending him my Butchers, and finally got to play two games against my friend who started with Morticians.

By then, I had already gotten used to some of my Farmer's mechanics. We played 5v5 with Grange, Buckwheat, Jackstraw, Windle and Tater vs. Scalpel, Casket, VetGraves, Vileswarm and Bonesaw. Predictably, my Morticians opponent felt pretty overwhelmed and it became very apparent that their learning curve is higher - Control is only good if you know what or how to leverage it. I usually moved Grange, Tater and Windle forward into a scrum, and he didn't manage to break it up, letting me make mincemeat of his team. First game I scored a goal with Jackstraw and got two takeouts, second game He got a goal with Bonesaw and I got 4 takeouts.

My buddy felt like he couldn't do anything against the pain train that is an unchecked windle. I explained to him that he has pushes and dodges galore, and could (just as an example) use his captain to charge windle, take one of his influence and give it to the empty jackstraw, push Windle more than 2" away from any harvest markers, then use second wind to retreat to safety. The morticians required more cleverness and knowledge of what the opponent wants to do, which you can't really leverage in your first two games. I'm also not too sure about his lineup. I'm hoping he'll get more accustomed to them in time.

Still, having fun and my enthusiasm is catching on to my warmachine group ;) It's funny, I tried the game two years ago with a butcher crew and found the game too complicated as an off-game. Now, it feels just right - despite the farmers being more complicated. Maybe WMH grew in complexity so that GB, which didn't change much, feels easier in comparison.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Morticians are a steep learning curve, I love playing scalpel but they are my second team (Hammer-led Mason's are my main.) I do think a different guild would be easier, but really these types of games are very difficult to learn and your first 10-30 are going to to be a lot of getting your face smashed.

GEMorris fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Apr 30, 2018

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I"m starting an escalation league as Masons next week. First week is a captain and two regular team members, any advice? I was thinking Hammer, Flint and... someone.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
I'm a big fan of Tower. Tooled Up on Hammer is ugly, he's not awful at footie, and he can get some work done against a knocked down target.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Looks like Falconer boxes are getting Malifaux'd and won't be in until August. Bummer since I'm looking forward to it, and since it's part of a sizable Discount Games order I made. Maybe they'll split the order...

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
If you want the most broken you can get in Mason's for slow grow.....

Hammer, Brick, Minx

Hammer, Brick, Minx, Marbles

Hammer, Brick, Minx, Marbles, Tower

Hammer, Brick, Marbles, Tower, Mallet, Flint

I do think Minx is win more at regular levels of competitive play, but the efficiency gain she provides in small teams can not be overemphasized.

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
First tournament yesterday after only about 12 games. Needless to say, I got crushed, but knew that going and had a great time. And I fulfilled my secret objective - not a single 0-12 loss :P

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Luebbi posted:

First tournament yesterday after only about 12 games. Needless to say, I got crushed, but knew that going and had a great time. And I fulfilled my secret objective - not a single 0-12 loss :P

Was this tourney in Wisconsin?

If so, your opponents would crush most folks. The Chicago meta is very stronk.

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
Mainz, Germany ;)

That said, lot of WTC and other high caliber players. Germans treat their tabletop gaming very seriously. I knew I didn't stand a chance just looking at the attendees list.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Luebbi posted:

Mainz, Germany ;)

That said, lot of WTC and other high caliber players. Germans treat their tabletop gaming very seriously. I knew I didn't stand a chance just looking at the attendees list.

Oh wow, that tourney was even worse, just chock full of sharks (bit not like, players actually using Shark)

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Painting the kick off Masons right now and I like that they're taller and better proportioned but I hate literally everything else about them :( Details run together, everything is soft, just a total pain. Looking forward to the metal half of the team.

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
Christian Metz, regarded by some as germanys top player (and cool dude) arrived and was like "I don't know what I want to play, you guys wanna vote on it?" And got trolled into playing Morticians, a team he despises and never played before. He came in 2nd ;)

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Luebbi posted:

Christian Metz, regarded by some as germanys top player (and cool dude) arrived and was like "I don't know what I want to play, you guys wanna vote on it?" And got trolled into playing Morticians, a team he despises and never played before. He came in 2nd ;)

Metz is regarded by some as the best player in the world, regadless of what Longshanks says.

That meta is an absolute shark tank and as long as you are ok with losing it is probably the best learning environment you could be in, anywhere. Chicago or maybe London are the only metas that might come close.

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Painting the kick off Masons right now and I like that they're taller and better proportioned but I hate literally everything else about them :( Details run together, everything is soft, just a total pain. Looking forward to the metal half of the team.

Yeah, kick ofd was their first plastics and they leave a lot to be desired.

Speaking of Masons, veteran chisel was just spoiled. Replace mallet with her in your kickoff 6 and you'll have my exact honour team. Where she fits in Hammer lineups is trickier.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

I'm thinking of introducing a friend to the game. I own a bit of union and the mason starter. Would a union vs mason starter be balanced? Which one would be funnier for a beginner?

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Iceclaw posted:

I'm thinking of introducing a friend to the game. I own a bit of union and the mason starter. Would a union vs mason starter be balanced? Which one would be funnier for a beginner?

Honour Masons is super technical and i dont think it was a good pick for a starter box.

That being said, depends on the union.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Well, Vanilla starter. Blackheart, Gutter, Decimate. Can field other instead, though BH is my only captain.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Blackheart is a very balanced captain to learn with. Decimate and Gutter are solid all rounders for learning combat. I'd add Coin (forgiving to allocation mistakes due to coffers), Mist (to have a striker) and Benediction (to learn about synergies, reactive abilities, and repositioning your opponent's models)

Theres a good bit of depth to that team without it being too complex to grok and use at an early stage.

GEMorris fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jun 15, 2018

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
The Falconers are out! I am getting mine painted, so no games for me yet. Anyone put them on the table? What works, what doesn't?

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Devana needs to go after at least one other player that can toss out harriers, but closer to last is better barring the turn after the turn where she legendary's.

Leave Ikaros and Egret in the bench. If you absolutely must take one of them (you shouldn't) then drop Mataagi (but don't).

Rundaas is a monster but keep him positioned well enough that a tooled-up-iron-fist hammer can't easily get to him. Dude is really hard to pin down due to Shadow like, does a lot to make up for 1" melee.

I think the guild is pretty strong at mid tables and fades at top table, reason being it is a guild that basically punishes mis-placement of models by the opponent really hard. If your opponent is very very good, the threat ranges are easy to map out and without the ball they aren't very dynamic.

Oh yeah, you want to manage the ball for movement, but you don't really want to score until it will win you the game or you will absolutely lose it if you don't take the goal right now.

Worst On Team
Aug 8, 2018

12 pints of liquid courage
Finally got some time and have started to paint my Farmers. Have both sets and Vet Honor, and I've got to say once I got the primer on all of them, it seemed like a lot fo the details vanished. The exception to that being Honor, which is a metal mini. Have you guys had any expierence with with losing detail in these minis, what do you do to overcome?

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Worst On Team posted:

Finally got some time and have started to paint my Farmers. Have both sets and Vet Honor, and I've got to say once I got the primer on all of them, it seemed like a lot fo the details vanished. The exception to that being Honor, which is a metal mini. Have you guys had any expierence with with losing detail in these minis, what do you do to overcome?

Not for Guild Ball minis in particular but putting a really thin wash over white/light primer or drybrushing over black/dark primer can help you find details.

I've used the white with a wash when I was trying to paint something really quickly and it helped a lot. I've mostly done the black / drybrush on accident and found surprising details before I got around to painting those areas.

Worst On Team
Aug 8, 2018

GoodBee posted:

Not for Guild Ball minis in particular but putting a really thin wash over white/light primer or drybrushing over black/dark primer can help you find details.

I've used the white with a wash when I was trying to paint something really quickly and it helped a lot. I've mostly done the black / drybrush on accident and found surprising details before I got around to painting those areas.

Holy poo poo. That works fantasticly.

What do you guys hope for in season 4? I just picked up everything about 2 weeks ago, so I'm not sure what to expect with the season change.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Worst On Team posted:

Holy poo poo. That works fantasticly.

What do you guys hope for in season 4? I just picked up everything about 2 weeks ago, so I'm not sure what to expect with the season change.

I'm hoping Scalpel gets good so I can give my meta a break from Hammer.

As a Hammer main, I'm hoping Mason's don't see much of a Nerf, and that Granite and oChisel become legit choices through being reworked.

Right now, with vChisel, I think Masons might be too good.

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
I'm hoping for many minis who are seen as suboptimal choices to be propped up a little. Esepecially with Captains and Macots. Why play Scalpel when you have Obulus, for example.

For Farmers in particular, I hope they will take a look at Buckwheat, Ploughman, vetHonour and Bushel. They all seem like suboptimal choices right now, which is a problem in farmers as you have to find your right balance between Reapers and Planters. Ploughman isn't taken because the other two planters, Millstone and Harrow, are just unquestionably better, and you don't want to replace a Reaper with another Planter, for example. Due to the Reaper/Planter mechanic I feel like Farmers internal balance is quite tricky.

What I've seen of Season 4 so far looks great, I think the game is in a great place all in all and the Minor guilds are a great addition that allows them to grow the game without bloating the factions.

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
... I'm also hoping for more threat participation - pains me to see this one on page 3 ;)

I had a couple games with and against Falconers now, and they rock. I can see them being popular for a while, but maybe not for too long since their tricks are actually quite limited - Devana can put on the hurt, but it plays out more or less the same each time. Minerva should usually go in fully loaded and try to get into Melee and get three hits in, with a Knockdown on 2 and her two valuable Guildball triggers on 1, each of these momentous, she's great for the setup.

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
Steamforged has started to show off some of the revamped models for Season 4 in their Blog, starting with Snakeskin and Salvo. Interesting stuff so far, but it goes a little over my head as I play neither faction. I think they will continue to spoil one model most weekdays, so keep your eyes peeled on the Blog. Any input from Engineer or Union players on the changes?

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
My takes combined with the takes on our local discord regarding new cards:

Snakeskin: very good, a natural mid-point between Mist and oDecimate for the 6th slot in a vRage list, maybe auto-include for Blackheart.

Salvo: much better now, Swift Strikes change is crucial, legit alt-striker or even only-striker in some matchups. 20" goal threat if you hit your CPs. Competes for space most directly with oVelocity, oddly enough. Also why do engineers get even more 4/1's with 16 boxes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worst On Team
Aug 8, 2018

Got in two games today. My first game was myself with Farmers (just the stock Honest Land set) vs Brewers (Tapper, Quaff, Friday, Hooper, Spigot, Decimate). This was my second game ever, and it just turned into a bit of a blood bath. Lots of learning about harvest marker placement and order of operations with the minis. The game was pretty much devolved into a giant scrum in center field. Final score 12-2, Brewers.

For the second game I swapped Jackstraw out for Millstone, and I enjoyed that team comp a bit better. Played a fun game against the Fisherman's (Shark, Salt, Greyscales, Jac, Sakana, VetSiren). This was a very different game. I honestly wasn't expecting there to be that wild of a difference in play styles between teams. Before this time my only other game had been Masons vs Brewers. Managed to score my first 2 goals and also take out Shark and VetSiren. Final Score 12-4, Farmers.

Really looking forward to getting more involved in season 4!