Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
There's a lot of innocent wild animals that are dead because Noctis likes eggs on his cup noodle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
All those frogs that lady squeezed the drugs out of.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Catching up with the thread which I had forgotten about for half a year. Just watched Ep. 35 and the phrase "Titty Dragoon" has me in stitches.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
This game seems only to exist to create crossovers.

topiKal
Mar 11, 2006

Rock Solid.
Heart Touching.
:frogsiren: WHO WROTE THIS GAME :frogsiren:

Episode 52: Incomprehensible

Lunethex posted:

This game seems only to exist to create crossovers.

To be fair, Gordon Freeman and Noctis are a lot alike
A) both are bipeds
B)

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
i love that a major plot point, the adryn/prompto body switch that makes him fall off the train, happens during an 180° A/B camera jump cut thats up for less than a second

why is the editing so bad you second guess at what happens? why would you not milk this scene for easy drama? the entire thing is story boarded like poo poo

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Ardyn was making Noct see Prompto as Ardyn the moment the time stop thing happened, hence all "Why are you trying to hurt me, dude?" from Ardyn.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Snow fields and sand dunes miles apart is supposed to be paradoxical? That's where I grew up. A few hundred feet in elevation meant the difference between desert and ski slopes. Nice effect on the virga though, those clouds probably look really weird if you don't live in an area that gets them. Something to do with the temperature variance and lack of humidity in desert areas, the rain turns back into cloud before it hits the ground.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Feb 22, 2018

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
In a game full of dumb plot twists for the sake of forced drama this poo poo here might take the cake, if only because it involves some dude who can apparently make you see whatever he wants, because that poo poo literally is the mother of all asspulls.

E: Or to more fully convey my disgust at the concept it's the ultimate copout for lazy writers, because now you have to doubt literally everything that you've seen whenever Chancellor Hobo has been around, which completely destroys any narrative coherence that might have existed. Like, why bother having things make sense when you've built in this huge backdoor for yourself?

Cerebral Bore fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Feb 22, 2018

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ometeotl posted:

Ardyn was making Noct see Prompto as Ardyn the moment the time stop thing happened, hence all "Why are you trying to hurt me, dude?" from Ardyn.

that makes more sense but 1) the way prompto acts waking noctis up (at ~7:50) is out of character for someone who was just attacked and 2) the whole shoving sequence was still poorly edited

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
you were saying that this game needs the thing from 13 where it explains the plot in text, but this game actually did exactly that when it explained in one sentence during the loading screen at 15:30 what the gently caress happened on the train

in both cases it's because they just kind of made a bunch of cutscenes over half a decade and then strung them together with string when it came to actually make it a game.

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf
Want to find out what happened to Prompto? Send a check or moneyorder to

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I know they were apparently sent by the Empire, but in a world where demons come out in the darkness why would you even BUILD a tunnel? At what point does that become a better option than going around?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
That's why they put all the lights in there.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
So let me get this straight:
1. Noctis and pals get on a train to... somewhere. I don't remember them actually explaining where they're going, only that Gladio was salty that they were going to stop in Tenebrae first.
2. Along they way they stop for Ignis to smoke a malboro, and Noctis gets another one of these swords even though he already got all of them when he went super saiyan against Leviathan I thought? Okay, fine.
3. After getting back on the train Ardyn casts time stop and illusions himself on to Prompto for... I actually don't know why. Then the empire attacks the train anyway.
3a. Also it should be worth noting that the game does the thing again where it hints at some actual characterization and growth (Prompto's seemingly genuine reply to Noctis telling him everything is his fault for
following along while he thought he was railing at Ardyn) but then goes nowhere with it and Prompto acts like nothing happened once Noctis woke up.
4. The Empire throws tanks, planes, and exploding soldiers at a civilian train but somehow cannot destroy it, then Ardyn body swaps with Prompto again so he can... do what exactly? Why does the empire even want to blow up the train? To kill Noctis? Then why doesn't Ardyn just kill loving Noctis? He seems eminently capable of doing so. What was the point behind any of what happened from the Empire's perspective?
5. Demons can apparently resist lights and the sun now? Is that a thing? That kind of seems like a pretty big bombshell to just drop and not dwell on.
6. Then dragoon lady shows up. Convenient they found somebody who just changed jobs to search and rescue the scene after they needed to go search for and rescue a party member. Also search and rescue for what? What refugees is she talking about? Is this still Venice we're talking about, or another off screen tragedy?

:psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck:

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

1 - going to the empire to do the end of disc shocking twist end this once and for all.
2 - Super Saiyan Noct is not gated behind 100% collection. As for why the decided the absolutely had to go into the cesspit I don't know.
3 - Ardyn is just a loving gigantic troll.
4 - There's a... 'reason'. Its spoilery though but I'm sure if you think about it you'll come up with a much much better twist than the game pulls.
5 - Just consider it a plot hole, if you want to be kind. They honestly should have set the scene at sunset or something, since they were already saying the nights are getting longer.
5a - Also, the empire isn't making demons, they're making their soldiers out of demons.
6 - off scene tragedy.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Bruceski posted:

I know they were apparently sent by the Empire, but in a world where demons come out in the darkness why would you even BUILD a tunnel? At what point does that become a better option than going around?

The diners and small towns are protected from not being wiped out over night by a few flood lights, and you can get high power headlights for your car that repel the demons.
So presumably with the amount of lights lining the train tunnel it's normally safe, and they probably forgot to include a part where Ardyn shuts the power off leaving Noctis "in the dark."

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Kuvo posted:

that makes more sense but 1) the way prompto acts waking noctis up (at ~7:50) is out of character for someone who was just attacked and 2) the whole shoving sequence was still poorly edited

Once the time stop thing happens, Ardyn and Prompto are swapped. That was Ardyn pretending to be Prompto for his dumb trick. When Noct runs to the roof and sees Ardyn pointing a gun at a defenseless Prompto, it's actually Prompto pointing his gun (his weapon of choice in battle) at a pretending to be defenseless Ardyn, up until the shoving happens and Ardyn can drop the ruse. It is badly edited and silly, certainly, but that's FF15 in a nutshell.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

Sydin posted:

So let me get this straight:
1. Noctis and pals get on a train to... somewhere. I don't remember them actually explaining where they're going, only that Gladio was salty that they were going to stop in Tenebrae first.

If I remember correctly, Noctis wanted to go straight to Tenebrae so he could avenge his girlfriend or something, but Gladio was like, "no, quit being a bitch." So they went to that poo poo-bog to get another sword they somehow knew was there and Gladio was like, "no, quit being a bitch and go to Tenebrae."

And then... train... happened. So now we're either still going to Tenebrae or saving Prompto first or? :psyduck:

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

We're in Tenebrae right now, bask in its glory. And sesspit was on the way, so there wasn't a real detour, but how they knew to go mucking around, or why the abandoned mine is still an actual train stop is a mystery.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

I don't think the game has said where the end goal on the train ride is yet, but Noctis wanted to get off at Tenebrae to visit Luna's old home and Gladio told him "gently caress off, we ain't stopping just for your pity party"

Then the empire and demons attacked so they had to get off at Tenebrae anyway to evacuate the other passengers, also it's on fire. As for Prompto they've basically just accepted that even if they went back to where he fell off, Ardyn probably already whisked him away somewhere else to be as annoying and trickstery as possible.

Gruckles fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Feb 23, 2018

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
when was the last good final fantasy game

cuz i'm not sure there's been one in a while

mmos don't count how does this series keep going

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Gamerofthegame posted:

final fantasy 1, obviously

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Gamerofthegame posted:

I like 12, though it's clunky as heck and kinda takes a hard swerve in plot halfway through (whole bunch of intrigue and politics, then you show up at the culmination of that like half an hour too late and everyone interesting is dead. Time for a more standard Big Bad and his Empire of Unredeemable Bad Guys.) They do a good enough job stitching over the seams though, not nearly as bad as the ones in 15. Probably depends on personal tastes and threshold for "good". Since at least FF7 the good games have bad things about them and the bad games have interesting ideas, I doubt you'd get a consensus.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I'd say X is one that you should get people to at least agree that its good for the combat system.

Otherwise If you type in BESTFF in Playonline, it'd probably say IX.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
God, I am so sick of having Noct run up and down this loving train.

Someone should have told the developers that it's really not that interesting.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

Gamerofthegame posted:

I think goofy voice direction, localization weirdness, and loving Blitzball aside, FFX seemed like the most fully realized world and coherent story in Final Fantasy. The sparse population and small towns of pretty much every game ever was part of the story. The giant Doom Whale will show up and wreck your poo poo if too many people gather. Roosty had a character arc of going from a dumb jock celebrity to kind of acceptable dumb jock. Wakka learned to reject racist fundamentalism. I really liked Yuna's character because it was played so subtly most of the time. She was a JRPG chipper priestess archetype on the surface who really did just want a normal life, but was still determined to sacrifice it for a greater good. gently caress that one Seymour fight, though. :argh:

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
realtalk 14 is the best ff game in the last 20 years

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Gorilla Salad posted:

God, I am so sick of having Noct run up and down this loving train.

Someone should have told the developers that it's really not that interesting.

You've seen how long the loading screens are. Noct has to run along the train until the next station exists.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
It was kinda neat how the tunnel walls seemed to be covered in demons, at least.

Not really sure why demons would want to gently caress with a fast-moving train, but I suppose they don't really need a motivation beyond killing stuff.

But goddamn, that was a lot of stuff happening for gently caress-all reason. At least they helpfully explained what king hobo did. Not why, of course. I assume nobody actually knows. I wonder how many "plot" points were written at some point by someone who no longer worked on the project when they were buttoning everything up.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Zenostein posted:

It was kinda neat how the tunnel walls seemed to be covered in demons, at least.

Not really sure why demons would want to gently caress with a fast-moving train, but I suppose they don't really need a motivation beyond killing stuff.

But goddamn, that was a lot of stuff happening for gently caress-all reason. At least they helpfully explained what king hobo did. Not why, of course. I assume nobody actually knows. I wonder how many "plot" points were written at some point by someone who no longer worked on the project when they were buttoning everything up.

It's the Star Wars Ep1 approach of making the visuals and set pieces first then write the story around them later.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Gamerofthegame posted:

Because the games sell. That's how it keeps going.

And I rather liked XIII-2. That's my choice for last good FF game.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

NikkolasKing posted:

And I rather liked XIII-2. That's my choice for last good FF game.

Good god why. All I remember about it is that Chocolina was terrible and that there was a ridiculous card game with a clock.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

anatoliy pltkrvkay posted:

Good god why. All I remember about it is that Chocolina was terrible and that there was a ridiculous card game with a clock.

After XIII's hallways, I enjoyed how open it was.
I liked the monster party member idea. What FF fan hasn't wanted a Tonberry in their party? And you can put a funny hat on it.
I love multiple endings and wish more games had them.
The game just felt like Square saying "okay, XIII didn't work, let's try EVERYTHING!!" Dialogue choices? Quiz games? Clock puzzles? QTEs? All this and more in FFXIII-2.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I agree. FF13-2 can bei genuinely fun if you let it.

Squarely Circle
Jul 28, 2010

things worsen and worsen
You guys are forgetting the most important question here, who's going to take all our wacky road trip photos while Prompto is gone?

give the camera to the blind guy, the pictures will probably be better

re: good Final Fantasy games, IX is a very good game, especially for reasons why this game isn't: distinctive party members with clear motivations and character growth, memorable locations and NPCs, an actual plot and sense of pacing, a female lead who actually gets to do a thing, Tetra Master is still a better minigame than Justice Monsters Five

Edit- I can't really weigh this game against most other FFs because I haven't played most of them, and I'm following this blind so I want to wait until the end before I draw any final conclusions, but I've actually been thinking about comparisons between this story and another piece of media about four boys setting off on a coming-of-age adventure. With the same theme song and everything. Maybe when this is all over I'll try to write something about it.

Squarely Circle fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Feb 23, 2018

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Bruceski posted:

You've seen how long the loading screens are. Noct has to run along the train until the next station exists.

The train is actually going through countryside in real time, in a bunch of areas it's pretty clear that the developers just never got around to fully modeling and which probably would have been a whole other complete open world segment. If you take good looks outside you can see how low-poly some of the buildings and assets are, a good barometer is in the last update looking at the ground below the train right before going into the tunnel.

Fun fact the train tracks just sort of lazily go into the ocean at the right side of the continent. It's probably mostly just bolted on.

Phantasium fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Feb 23, 2018

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Squarely Circle posted:

Edit- I can't really weigh this game against most other FFs because I haven't played most of them, and I'm following this blind so I want to wait until the end before I draw any final conclusions, but I've actually been thinking about comparisons between this story and another piece of media about four boys setting off on a coming-of-age adventure. With the same theme song and everything. Maybe when this is all over I'll try to write something about it.

"Hey, want to go see a dead body my fiancee a dead body?"

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I'm trying that whole "say at least one nice thing a day" thing.

The scree slopes on the mountains viewed from the train looked very realistic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

I'm glad we've got the car back. A fair trade for Prompto.

• Locked thread