Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Watch Blast ALSO turn out to be King accidentally taking the credit for someone else's achievements, only this time he doesn't realize it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Zerilan posted:

Everyone just understands that he constantly has important Dragon Quest related obligations to deal with.

Also his back is really hosed up from decades of drawing for hours and hours in really bad positions. Ergonomic working environments are very important.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Gologle posted:

Watch Blast ALSO turn out to be King accidentally taking the credit for someone else's achievements, only this time he doesn't realize it.

Reusing King's gimmick but now in Blast form is kinda boring.

jetpackhewy
Mar 30, 2010

skaianDestiny posted:

Reusing King's gimmick but now in Blast form is kinda boring.

That it may be, but it does seem to be a trending thought amongst most readers who wonder about Blast. I feel that gimmick works with King because he is around somehow still getting away with it. With Blast being away and mysterious for so long, I don't feel like the joke would work even if it was fresh.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Blast seems to be tangible and not nebulous like King but not known

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

King is a legitimate hero. gently caress this slander.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

jetpackhewy
Mar 30, 2010

Oh, King is definitely a hero. He just has a unique approach.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Caidin posted:

I think it's because the S class isn't necessarily the highly competitive part of it, that's A class and down. S is generally a bunch of weirdos with bad people skills who happen to be so bullshit strong the HA can't afford not to keep them on speed dial for when something nasty shows up. The only one that actually seems to care about boosting their rank is Geno, because Saitama told him to.

Blast apparently is just so stronk they haven't seen better, so he sits at that rank even if he isn't active anymore.

Blast; the Don Draper to HA's Sterling Cooper

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

blast is real, and cool and strong and is my friend

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Blast is real but I do not respect him.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
blast is probably just saitama with hair

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Terror Sweat posted:

blast is real, and cool and strong and is my friend

He's more like your lovely grandson who never calls. :mad:

Symbolic Butt posted:

Unless he somehow accidentally failed to kill Elder Centipede in the past, Saitama is not Blast.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Blast is Saitama Blanco.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Blast is Saitama Blanco.

Saitama is Blast Calvo

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Symbolic Butt posted:

hes a guy that did the exact same training but he used air conditioning once, so he's not as strong but gets to keep his hair

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I believe that Blast exists but he's just preoccupied with way more important things than any event on Earth.

Just like every other God.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

King is a legitimate hero. gently caress this slander.

King deliberately put himself in Elder Centipede's sights, and in his path of destruction, in order to save lives and end his menace once and for all, when he didn't have to, he could have just waved goodbye to Saitama and wished him luck, and played some Doki Doki Sisters, safe in his apartment.

At that moment, he became a genuine hero, no ifs, ands, or buts about it.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
If Blast couldn't beat elder centipede surely he's not even that strong? Bang is a hosed up old man and it looked like him and his even more hosed up brother had a chance.

Shugojin posted:

Also his back is really hosed up from decades of drawing for hours and hours in really bad positions. Ergonomic working environments are very important.

People keep saying this but I've never seen any sources. Did it just become fact through repetition?

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea

sharktamer posted:

If Blast couldn't beat elder centipede surely he's not even that strong? Bang is a hosed up old man and it looked like him and his even more hosed up brother had a chance.

To me it sounded like Blast did significant damage to Elder Centipede and forced it to retreat, which is why King mentioning Blast's name was enough to lure it to attack. The combined ultimate attack of Bang and his brother barely affected it at all, and that was them making their last stand pretty much

e: looked back and yeah it says Blast brought EC to the brink of death. Anyway trying to gauge someone's strength in this manga by comparing them with Saitama is silly

Revins fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Feb 23, 2018

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

sharktamer posted:

People keep saying this but I've never seen any sources. Did it just become fact through repetition?

It's from his author notes mostly and his interviews

quote:

Point 1 was caused by Point 3 not being fulfilled for too long. From when YYH began serialization up until the start of the Dark Tournament, I had half a day off every week in which I caught up on sleep. Other than that all I had time for were occasional naps, and I'd indulge in my hobbies by sleeping less. For a while, I quite enjoyed this. But my HP (as they say in RPGs) was gradually but surely falling, and around the time that I wrote a 31-page one-shot and simultaneously had to do color pages, my heart began to hurt every time I went without sleep -- and then it began to hurt more and more often.

But specifically stuff like "locked in a hotel room" and "drew while lying on his back" are just unconfirmed rumors afaik.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Does Garou get beat up as often in the webcomic?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

pretty much everything but the tourney is in the webcomic

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Kild posted:

pretty much everything but the tourney is in the webcomic

He didn't fight Metal Bat or Watchdog Man in the comic. Vast swaths of the past bunch of chapters have been created for the manga. So no, he didn't get his rear end kicked quite as much.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Not as often, just because the a lot of what's happened between Boros up until now is much more abbreviated in the webcomic. Everything between when Fubuki tries to recruit Saitama up until where the Murata version is now is only nine chapters long. But Garou is still the same character, with all that implies.

I will say that the quicker pace does makes Garou much less protagonisty. The webcomic is more clearly Saitama's story.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Feb 23, 2018

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Mulva posted:

He didn't fight Metal Bat or Watchdog Man in the comic. Vast swaths of the past bunch of chapters have been created for the manga. So no, he didn't get his rear end kicked quite as much.

well it wasn't shown but it was implied. Like there's a reason its added to the Murata version.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
It's exactly the opposite. It's added because he realized that they are basically the only 2 S Class heroes that had gently caress all to do this arc, so he went "Well poo poo, guess I better add something for them". It's not that he's expanding on something that was hinted at in the web comic, it's that he totally forgot about the two of them and thought "Hey, guess I'll do something with them now". I have thoughts about that, but well, they can wait a year for when poo poo starts going down.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Yeah pretty much. The thing is that the webcomic version is like 60 pages shorter an update so you don't linger on it nearly as much. Him fighting Bug God and the other guy lasted like 4 pages and that was it.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

saitama only meets garou during the dine and dash part, the earlier part does not happen

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Terror Sweat posted:

saitama only meets garou during the dine and dash part, the earlier part does not happen

You mean the first time he gets no-sold by Saitama is no longer canonical? That's a shame.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013

And More posted:

You mean the first time he gets no-sold by Saitama is no longer canonical? That's a shame.

Why wouldn't it be canonical? The Murata version is the official published version. if anything it's even more canon than the webcomic.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
There isn't any canon. It's a comic.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Terror Sweat posted:

What? That's ridiculous.

Saitama just has a notoriously bad memory for faces, and Garou keeps suffering Traumatic Brain Injuries.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Davinci posted:

Why wouldn't it be canonical? The Murata version is the official published version. if anything it's even more canon than the webcomic.

The ONE version is the rough draft, the Murata is the final product

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Parrotine posted:

The ONE version is the rough draft, the Murata is the final product

The ONE version is its own thing. The Murata version is also its own thing. The only rough drafts are the ones ONE sends to Murata which we only see occasionally when Murata or ONE decides to share.

ONE does the webcomic as a hobby, which is why we haven't had a single update for it for like a year...

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008
I hope that Glasses from a few chapters ago keeps progressing and becomes the next almost-Saitama

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

And More posted:

Discussion about "canon" are really, really dumb. It's just fiction. Everything is false from the beginning. There is no "canon".

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

YggdrasilTM posted:

Discussion about "canon" are really, really dumb. It's just fiction. Everything is false from the beginning. There is no "canon".
People use the term "canon" to refer to things that happened in a story vs. fanfics and stuff, and one of the definitions of canon is "the authentic works of a writer." It isn't really a radical word to use in this context.

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Feb 24, 2018

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Elysiume posted:

People use the term "canon" to refer to things that happened in a story vs. fanfics and stuff, and one of the definitions of canon is "the authentic works of a writer." It isn't really a radical word to use in this context.

It's a weird argument to make, since the Murata version is the ONE version but with extra parts to it. So rather than Garou going from showing up and tearing a guy's arm off to waking up in the MA headquarters we see him taking on a few S-classes and A-classes as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Elysiume posted:

I had no idea people were gonna go nuts on me for using "canon". :stonk:

Yeah, fairly sure canon can just mean "stuff that is part of the main text". I thought Terror Sweat meant that the earlier encounter between Garou and Saitama had been removed from the official comic.

I distinctly remember one non-canonical scene before the tournament while Saitama is sitting in the dressing room. Sour Face comes in and tries to take his wig, and Saitama dodges around. This scene was removed, and a similar scene was placed in the middle of the tournament. The new scene is canonical, the older one isn't.

edit: Oh, and I wasn't talking about the ONE version at all.

And More fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Feb 24, 2018