Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
So a guy in my area filled his car with gas cans full of flammables and crashed through the front of the hospital. Deliberately. Wound up setting himself on fire and is now under arrest in a burn unit.

The local news coverage so far is more 'Wow look at this idiot' and not 'Attempted domestic terrorist bungles plot' Its becauses hes white and catholic I know a few people who went through high school with him and he was apparently a weirdo then, and racked up a few violent felonies since.

https://www.middletownpress.com/middletown/article/Car-crashes-into-emergency-room-at-Middlesex-12633306.php

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Mr. Nice! posted:

I expect the armed police officer to respond to a loving threat like it's his job to save the lives of children especially when it is literally his job to protect children.

When teachers are armed for 30 years, our kids will be saying the same thing about them :)

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Mr. Nice! posted:

I expect the armed police officer to respond to a loving threat like it's his job to save the lives of children especially when it is literally his job to protect children.

I'd agree if we hadn't of flipped this argument over years ago to 'cops just want to go home' and used it to excuse them murdering literally anyone, including children, that stood in their way. Its time everyone sees them for what they are.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Get hosed Kush.

Sources: Mueller probe stymies Kushner security clearance

Also a pretty good money shot:

quote:

The situation is especially complicated for Kushner because the FBI isn't sharing information with the White House that would typically be relevant in a background investigation for security clearance. That's because sharing such information could compromise the special counsel's probe.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

I was a little more partial to the editing put into this version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWR-zuiIFvQ

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Yeah, sorry, I don't expect joe blow to run towards the gun shots, but if you're taking money to do something about the bad man, then you fuckin' do something about the bad man.

But then joe blow and even the kids do MORE than this fucker who is armed and probably even has body armor then holy moly that is some weak rear end poo poo.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

It's almost as if cops aren't the military.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

psydude posted:

It's almost as if cops aren't the military.

meh I'm sure there are plenty of military members who gently caress up first combat situations

this guy was 66 years old and had 32 years on the job as a "cop". He failed. He should be fired. Sorry about the other 31 years of service pal.

Edit: it's gonna come out later that the local protocol is to wait for a partner before making entry. I'm 99% sure this is gonna be in the department training. I have nothing to base this on aside from almost every active shooter training material I've seen emphasize moving in 2,3 or 4 man teams.

Smiling Jack fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Feb 23, 2018

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Smiling Jack posted:

meh I'm sure there are plenty of military members who gently caress up first combat situations

this guy was 66 years old and had 32 years on the job as a "cop". He failed. He should be fired. Sorry about the other 31 years of service pal.

I'm not saying that the military is full of elite warriors, but soldiers operate in groups and are typically only armed when deployed in hostile environments.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Willing to bet if an 'arm the teachers' push was successful you'd see more of a bodycount from negligent discharges and teachers losing their poo poo on a student or co-worker than you would from school shootings over a decent time period.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

That Works posted:

Willing to bet if an 'arm the teachers' push was successful you'd see more of a bodycount from negligent discharges and teachers losing their poo poo on a student or co-worker than you would from school shootings over a decent time period.

So you're saying school shootings will drop off the #1 spot for causes of in-school fatalities?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

TheGreasyStrangler posted:

So you're saying school shootings will drop off the #1 spot for causes of in-school fatalities?

'non-teacher' school shootings, yeah. Just thinking of it as a numbers game. Lots more people with guns in school, training status suspect, opens up the odds a bit.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

https://twitter.com/probirdrights/status/966861217192013824

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

Maybe it's not fair to expect this guy to measure up to Kevin Vickers. Maybe it's on government and society to send the trash that can't hack it as prison guards to watch over schools. But then,

bird cooch posted:

The 15 yo JROTC kid had more balls than the cop.

The gym teacher had more balls than the cop.

Mr. Nice! posted:

That shameful excuse of a deputy is the kind of dude Patton needed to slap.

Also, goodish article, even if it's a little meandering. Then again, I learned about the details about 5.56 cavitation from framed pages of journal articles one of the labs in the Air Force Research Laboratory put up in their hallways. Even had diagrams showing how that ammo will gently caress someone up better than just about anything. I was never sure if it was meant to warn people about what they would have to treat or bragging about what they were able to accomplish. Or both.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

That Works posted:

The only way I'd want to see armed teachers, and do not take this as any kind of endorsement as I don't think it's a good idea at all, but if it absolutely must be done, then have a safe that's hardwired to a "holy gently caress school shooter alarm" and only unlocks under that circumstance.

But I still don't think its a good idea.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I'm not saying that everyone should be a hero or go in guns a blazing. That's the worst thing that most people can do. But when you have one loving job and you just post up outside? :cmon:

I mean at least help kids escape if you can't confront. Do something. He was the one person there specifically with the power to do something.

He's no Kevin Vickers that's for drat sure.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I have engaged the perpetrator and he is deceased.

Vickers did have a partner though. they fuckin' lit the perp up and left him looking like a collander.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Smiling Jack posted:

Vickers did have a partner though. they fuckin' lit the perp up and left him looking like a collander.

Ebb is there space for this man in GiPmore

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Smiling Jack posted:

Even still he went to his office, grabbed his gun, and then went back to engage.

Slavic Crime Yacht posted:

Ebb is there space for this man in GiPmore

insert the comic where he uses his giant mace to knock the dudes head off.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Cop feared for his safety so he made the situation safe.

Strangely by not discharging his weapon but I guess the same logic applies.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

Even still he went to his office, grabbed his gun, and then went back to engage.

Didn't he then return to his office and call his mom to tell her that he's ok?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Laranzu posted:

Cop feared for his safety so he made the situation safe.

Strangely by not discharging his weapon but I guess the same logic applies.

In that case he should have helped get kids outside, shield them, or do literally anything other than just take up a position outside and wait for Cruz to get bored.

CoffeeQaddaffi posted:

Didn't he then return to his office and call his mom to tell her that he's ok?

something like that, yeah.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Mr. Nice! posted:

insert the comic where he uses his giant mace to knock the dudes head off.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

It's the calling his mom touch that I think qualified him for GiPmore

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

:grovertoot:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

That's a nasty jaw infection there.

In other news: Lawrence Krauss has been accused of sexual harassment going back decades.

Never meet your heroes I guess....

https://www.buzzfeed.com/peteraldhous/lawrence-krauss-sexual-harassment-allegations?utm_term=.xce2wGbWgR#.qm3ZGOPJEq

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

one of the most depressing things I've ever seen was the photos of Nathan Cirillo's dogs waiting for him to come home :(

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

kupachek posted:

Decently written. Veers into opinion territory a little as to be expected, but a good article none the less.

god forbid

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

Factual articles and opinion pieces are best left separate. All authors put their own slant into their work to begin with, so no need to mix it further, otherwise it makes it far too easy for people to dismiss out of hand without absorbing the content.

You know, an objective article that lets the reader form their own opinion instead of being led. It is a good thing.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

kupachek posted:

Factual articles and opinion pieces are best left separate. All authors put their own slant into their work to begin with, so no need to mix it further, otherwise it makes it far too easy for people to dismiss out of hand without absorbing the content.

You know, an objective article that lets the reader form their own opinion instead of being led. It is a good thing.

It's an essay whose thesis is "AR-15s should be banned." Unlike most opinion pieces, which is where you might be getting confused, its writer knows what the hell she's talking about and used a lot of facts to justify her conclusion.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Guy we missed page 69 Not nice

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Smiling Jack posted:

one of the most depressing things I've ever seen was the photos of Nathan Cirillo's dogs waiting for him to come home :(

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...haf-Bibeau.html

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Guy we missed page 69 Not nice

My dad is 69 years, strong and I love him.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Eugene V. Dubstep posted:

It's an essay whose thesis is "AR-15s should be banned." Unlike most opinion pieces, which is where you might be getting confused, its writer knows what the hell she's talking about and used a lot of facts to justify her conclusion.

The factual part of the thesis would be "generally, rifles cause worse injuries than pistols, and rifles with high muzzle velocities are particularly bad. 1/2 mv2 doesn't mess around and doesn't care about the brand, what hardware is attached to the rifle, whether the hardware is wood or plastic, or the operating principle of the rifle."

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Smiling Jack posted:

Edit: it's gonna come out later that the local protocol is to wait for a partner before making entry. I'm 99% sure this is gonna be in the department training. I have nothing to base this on aside from almost every active shooter training material I've seen emphasize moving in 2,3 or 4 man teams.

I thought he was 54, not 66, and was taking the retirement he was eligible for so he's still going to get his pension. I'll bet SRO was how he intended to ride out the rest of his career, never having to do anything police-y again, least of all going into harms' way like someone supposed to serve and protect would do.

Also, while I don't work in law enforcement, I thought that the current mindset regarding active shooters was biased towards intervening immediately regardless of whether you have backup. Something like half of shooters give up, run away or suck-start their weapon when faced with any kind of meaningful resistance.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

pantslesswithwolves posted:

I thought he was 54, not 66, and was taking the retirement he was eligible for so he's still going to get his pension. I'll bet SRO was how he intended to ride out the rest of his career, never having to do anything police-y again, least of all going into harms' way like someone supposed to serve and protect would do.

Also, while I don't work in law enforcement, I thought that the current mindset regarding active shooters was biased towards intervening immediately regardless of whether you have backup. Something like half of shooters give up, run away or suck-start their weapon when faced with any kind of meaningful resistance.

SOP since Columbine is run towards the shooter and stop by any means available. If that means ignoring bleeding kids or dead bodies, so be it.

Slate.com posted:

And the final practical lesson of Columbine is a revolution in police response tactics. Cops followed the old book at Columbine: surround the building, set up a perimeter, contain the damage. That approach has been replaced by the “active shooter protocol.” Optimally, it calls for a four-person team to advance in a diamond-shaped wedge. (If there isn’t time to gather four officers, a single officer should charge in alone.) They’re trained to move toward the sound of gunfire and neutralize the shooter. Their goal is to stop him at all costs. They will walk past a dying child if they have to, just to prevent the shooter from killing more. The active protocol has proved successful at numerous shootings during the past decade. At Virginia Tech alone, it probably saved dozens of lives.

The Orgasm Sanction
Dec 30, 2006

Svelte

CommieGIR posted:

That's a nasty jaw infection there.

In other news: Lawrence Krauss has been accused of sexual harassment going back decades.

Never meet your heroes I guess....

https://www.buzzfeed.com/peteraldhous/lawrence-krauss-sexual-harassment-allegations?utm_term=.xce2wGbWgR#.qm3ZGOPJEq

drat, I liked that guy, too bad his perv switch is flipped so easily.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

pantslesswithwolves posted:

As was posted before, yeah since columbine the protocol has been charge in and go for the shooter. The cops at columbine actually blocked the doors so the shooters couldn't escape which prevented kids from escaping too

Upon further research that was my bad memory I think putting that last bit in there

By the way reading about that poo poo is a loving nightmare, don't do it

Riot Carol Danvers fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Feb 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

yeah there is a middle ground between running scared and drawing your katana for honorable 1v1. At the least you can get to a chokepoint and hold it, isolating him to one part of the school or forcing him to come into your line of fire while your cover the hallway while recessed into a classroom.

• Locked thread