Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Sake brewery/onsen tour from Fukushima across to Niigata.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Yeah Niigata or Shikoku is pretty much all that's left.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Besides the above options for summer:

Nagano
Yamagata onsen tour
Akita, including the west side
Kamikochi

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Thanks for the ideas.

I had thought about Kumano Kodo (I guess I don't consider that Kyoto/Osaka) but I'd want to camp, rather than stay in arranged accommodations - yes, I would have a full set of camping gear with me for Fuji Rock (who wants to go to FRF? Let me know!) - but that doesn't seem very easy to do. Similarly, I had though about doing parts of the Shikoku Henro but that seems to be mainly along roads - not exciting - and also the same thing with camping. I've seen people say that it's "okay" to camp as long as you're discrete but I'm not sure I'm entirely comfortable with that. But if there are places to camp, even if it's designated camp spots, that would be awesome to do, I think.

Visiting a bunch of distilleries would be fun and I could get myself a JR Pass to travel all over. Has anyone done a bunch of these? I've got a week to fill, so I could probably hit up 4-5 good ones.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
I guess you said not Hakodate, but Hokkaido is still a good option. Why not visit Sapporo, drive down via Otaru to Shakotan, and then maybe take the trip through Abashiri (or southern path) via Setsuzan to Shiretoko? You can drop by Nikka on the way near Otaru.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Unless you're really dedicated or want to include shōchū, a distillery crawl would be tough. There's too much distance between them

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

totalnewbie posted:

Thanks for the ideas.

I had thought about Kumano Kodo (I guess I don't consider that Kyoto/Osaka) but I'd want to camp, rather than stay in arranged accommodations - yes, I would have a full set of camping gear with me for Fuji Rock (who wants to go to FRF? Let me know!) - but that doesn't seem very easy to do. Similarly, I had though about doing parts of the Shikoku Henro but that seems to be mainly along roads - not exciting - and also the same thing with camping. I've seen people say that it's "okay" to camp as long as you're discrete but I'm not sure I'm entirely comfortable with that. But if there are places to camp, even if it's designated camp spots, that would be awesome to do, I think.

Visiting a bunch of distilleries would be fun and I could get myself a JR Pass to travel all over. Has anyone done a bunch of these? I've got a week to fill, so I could probably hit up 4-5 good ones.

There are henro paths through the mountains that you can take. Most people don't anymore, but they exist and are generally useable. There aren't a huge number of designated camp grounds, but there are plenty of places where it is acceptable to camp. The local people have a long tradition of kindness to henro and they won't call the cops on you or anything.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

LyonsLions posted:

There are henro paths through the mountains that you can take. Most people don't anymore, but they exist and are generally useable. There aren't a huge number of designated camp grounds, but there are plenty of places where it is acceptable to camp. The local people have a long tradition of kindness to henro and they won't call the cops on you or anything.

This is promising. I've tried looking for places that detail which sections are better for hiking and/or camping but haven't found much aggregated information. Does anyone know of a good resource for that kind of specific information?

zmcnulty posted:

Unless you're really dedicated or want to include shōchū, a distillery crawl would be tough. There's too much distance between them

Well I was thinking I could put some real mileage on a JR Pass and basically make that the whole trip, i.e. go to a distillery, check it out, and then come back and hang out but maybe not.

ntan1 posted:

I guess you said not Hakodate, but Hokkaido is still a good option. Why not visit Sapporo, drive down via Otaru to Shakotan, and then maybe take the trip through Abashiri (or southern path) via Setsuzan to Shiretoko? You can drop by Nikka on the way near Otaru.

I really want to avoid trips where I have to drive. I get enough of that here, though I recognize that one of these years, I'm going to have to do some driving.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

If you have other things to do it's totally possible to fit in sake hopping. I think I visited eight last time I was in Japan, along with a couple miso makers.

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

totalnewbie posted:

This is promising. I've tried looking for places that detail which sections are better for hiking and/or camping but haven't found much aggregated information. Does anyone know of a good resource for that kind of specific information?

Lots of info on camping to be found: https://followingthearrows.com/2014/09/22/list-of-free-or-cheap-accommodation/

Which section is better is going to depend on what you want to see and how much time you want to spend. The Tokushima temples can be done fairly quickly, if you don't have much time. The Kochi coast temples take you along a really scenic route. Western Kochi into Ehime is supposed to be the most mountainous and difficult, aside from the temple at Ishizuchi in northern Ehime. Southern Ehime is supposed to have some of the most interesting (and weird) temples.

There is a ton of information put out by local groups about their local temples, but unfortunately not much of it is coordinated or put together for the whole route. One of my friends came back from the pilgrimage with a huge stack of pamphlets and guides she got from local groups along the way that she wanted to put into a website, but just never got around to it. I would look through a general site like this and see what section appeals to you: http://www.shikokuhenrotrail.com/ and then look at local sites for more info.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Just wanted to chime in and say the Kawasaki warehouse/kowloon walled city arcade thing isn't really worth the trip from Tokyo unless you're on your way to Yokohama or something.

It's cool for the first 30 seconds and then it's just another multi story arcade/pachinko parlour. Not sure if it's been dialed back since it orginally opened but it's not super impressive.

I'm in niseko for snowboarding now, which is very impressive.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Laserface posted:

I'm in niseko for snowboarding now, which is very impressive.
Have you been anywhere else for snowboarding in Japan? I've been to Hakuba and Appi and would love to go back some time and check out the other resorts.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I went to niseko 10 years ago and furano this Christmas.

My niseko knowledge is probably out dated but furano was a very nice small town for skiing. I stayed in furano town so I had to catch a bus or taxi to the hill and met some cool people along the way and found some local hangout restaurants

Snow and facility wise both niseko and furano had amazing lifts and runs and snow

Good Parmesan
Nov 30, 2007

I TAKE PHOTOS OF OTHER PEOPLE'S CHILDREN IN PLANET FITNESS
Just learned that I will regretfully be missing the "Eat Beef and Scream" competition: http://yufuin.or.jp/global/modules/pico/index.php?content_id=34

district 12
Oct 19, 2004

muscles griffon~~
holy gently caress i need to go to that

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

totalnewbie posted:

I really want to avoid trips where I have to drive. I get enough of that here, though I recognize that one of these years, I'm going to have to do some driving.

The corollary to that is that while trains are amazing in Japan, a lot of the amazing places outside of major cities require a car to get to. It also speeds up travel significantly if you are sticking to a particular area and not doing a drive all the way from Tokyo to Fukoka or something, as you are not bound by once or twice-per-hour trains in the countryside. Like about 6-7 years back when I started to mostly go to the countryside, I pretty much swore to drive every trip because it made things so easy.

Also, assuming that you are from the US or Canada, Japan is positively the easiest driving I've ever done. People are incredibly polite and obey passing lanes for real.

Also, Michi no Eki + SAs are quite amazing, and folks basically stop doing the "NIHONGO JOUZU DESU NE" completely at them because why the hell would a foreigner drive if they haven't lived in Japan before.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

ntan1 posted:

The corollary to that is that while trains are amazing in Japan, a lot of the amazing places outside of major cities require a car to get to. It also speeds up travel significantly if you are sticking to a particular area and not doing a drive all the way from Tokyo to Fukoka or something, as you are not bound by once or twice-per-hour trains in the countryside. Like about 6-7 years back when I started to mostly go to the countryside, I pretty much swore to drive every trip because it made things so easy.

Also, assuming that you are from the US or Canada, Japan is positively the easiest driving I've ever done. People are incredibly polite and obey passing lanes for real.

Also, Michi no Eki + SAs are quite amazing, and folks basically stop doing the "NIHONGO JOUZU DESU NE" completely at them because why the hell would a foreigner drive if they haven't lived in Japan before.

Yeah, I lived in the Japan countryside (Japanese standards) so I'm well familiar with what's available by car vs. train. But just a personal choice for now, I'm sure I'll be driving on some trips later on.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Question Mark Mound posted:

Have you been anywhere else for snowboarding in Japan? I've been to Hakuba and Appi and would love to go back some time and check out the other resorts.

I did hakuba a few years ago.

The resorts there have much longer runs than what I have experienced so far of niseko. We are staying at moiwa which has a small hill just a few steps from our lodge, and mostly it is not groomed.

So far I have ridden at moiwa, annupuri and grand hirafu with the latter being my favorite. We might head out to rusutsu in the next few days but it's hard to pass up cheap riding seconds from our doorstep.

Niseko is where you go for deep powder, hakuba if you don't get off piste as much and want longer runs. Hakuba is getting no shortage of powder this season either though.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
If you want powder without the crowds you should check out Rusutsu.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Awesome, thanks for the tips!

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

ntan1 posted:

Michi no ekis are my favourite part of driving in japan. There are some publications devoted solely to them

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Pachinko/slot machine question. I don't know if anyone keeps up with the uh, "scene" there but did anyone know if the metal gear snake eater pachislot game (or any konami game themed machien) could still be found at parlors or whatever you call them

I'm in the states so I have no way of finding out for myselfO

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005

Question Mark Mound posted:

I'm living in Niigata and pretty snowboard crazy. Some recommendations:
in Yuzawa (a quick bullet train from Tokyo) Kagura Mitsumata is a mellow tree/bowl/back country playground, off-piste riding is completely allowed. Hakkaisan Ski resort is a little north of Yuzawa and is the steepest resort I've seen in Japan. With fresh snow it's incredible, with no snow it'll be mogul mountain runs everywhere.
The Myoko area has a lot of snow (check snow japan...it's unreal) and some good variety in terrain. Suginohara in Myoko has the longest cruising runs with great trees, and Seki Onsen is 2-lift local club ski area that's completely unpisted and free-for-all. Hiuchi Charmant is another hidden gem between Itoigawa city and Myoko that is a compact go-where-you-want powder haven.

The other iconic resorts are kind of spread out. Nozawa Onsen is the Kyoto of ski resorts--cute town, good snow, good layout, super busy. Zao Onsen in Yamagata is the quieter rural version and is a good destination spot with snow monster trees and huge pistes but sometimes slow lifts. If you're adventurous Hakkoda Ski resort in Aomori is probably Japan's wildest ski resort and a great spot to just get out on a wild mountain. If you're in Nagano again and want to go a bit off the beaten bath, the hidden ninja village Togakushi is a pretty atmospheric little down that will feel less like Australia.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

Pachinko/slot machine question. I don't know if anyone keeps up with the uh, "scene" there but did anyone know if the metal gear snake eater pachislot game (or any konami game themed machien) could still be found at parlors or whatever you call them

I'm in the states so I have no way of finding out for myselfO

Finding them would require going into pachinko parlors, which if you haven’t been are noise and tobacco smoke machines fueled by old dudes playing 5 yen slots. Your time would be better spent finding videos on YouTube of the machines instead.

Like so:

https://youtu.be/sUz-rSjcrIQ

“But I’m a fan I want to experience them—“

No, trust me, you don’t.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
It's a research thing. I wanted to know what was currently there now

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

This site kindly has a full list at the bottom of every machine currently in-store at a big local chain.
https://www.p-world.co.jp/sp/hall.cgi?dir=ehime&file=super-nikko

Sweet lord, there are even Gyoza no Ohsho and Ring themed machines.
https://www.p-world.co.jp/sp/kisyu.cgi?code=8205
https://www.p-world.co.jp/sp/kisyu.cgi?code=8414

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Sweet lord is that website japanese%20webdesign.htm

edit: lol 2268 validation errors

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010
Travel planning question! Planning a trip in Autumn to spend 4-5 days in Tokyo and 7 days outside Tokyo, very interested in visiting Kanazawa and Takayama. We like historical architecture and relaxing in the country. I'm split between two itineraries for the 7 days:

Route 1
  1. Tokyo ➞ Takayama (PM)
  2. Takayama
  3. Takayama ➞ Okuhida Onsen-go (midday)
  4. Okuhida Onsen-go ➞ Kanazawa (midday)
  5. Kanazawa
  6. Kanazawa ➞ Kurobe Alpine Route (AM) ➞ Matsumoto (PM)
  7. Matsumoto ➞ Tokyo (PM)
Route 2
  1. Tokyo ➞ Kanazawa (AM)
  2. Kanazawa ➞ Takayama (day trip) ➞ Kanazawa
  3. Kanazawa ➞ Nagoya (PM -- not visiting, just breaking up train trip)
  4. Nagoya ➞ Mt. Koya (AM)
  5. Mt. Koya ➞ Nara (midday)
  6. Nara
  7. Nara ➞ Tokyo (PM)
Questions:
- Is Kurobe Alpine Route going to be crazy packed on weekdays during autumn leaves season? Same with Mt. Koya? Still worth it?
- Does Route #2 sound exhausting? Anything to cut?
- Which one sounds best to you?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Mongoose posted:

I'm living in Niigata and pretty snowboard crazy. Some recommendations:
in Yuzawa (a quick bullet train from Tokyo) Kagura Mitsumata is a mellow tree/bowl/back country playground, off-piste riding is completely allowed. Hakkaisan Ski resort is a little north of Yuzawa and is the steepest resort I've seen in Japan. With fresh snow it's incredible, with no snow it'll be mogul mountain runs everywhere.
The Myoko area has a lot of snow (check snow japan...it's unreal) and some good variety in terrain. Suginohara in Myoko has the longest cruising runs with great trees, and Seki Onsen is 2-lift local club ski area that's completely unpisted and free-for-all. Hiuchi Charmant is another hidden gem between Itoigawa city and Myoko that is a compact go-where-you-want powder haven.

The other iconic resorts are kind of spread out. Nozawa Onsen is the Kyoto of ski resorts--cute town, good snow, good layout, super busy. Zao Onsen in Yamagata is the quieter rural version and is a good destination spot with snow monster trees and huge pistes but sometimes slow lifts. If you're adventurous Hakkoda Ski resort in Aomori is probably Japan's wildest ski resort and a great spot to just get out on a wild mountain. If you're in Nagano again and want to go a bit off the beaten bath, the hidden ninja village Togakushi is a pretty atmospheric little down that will feel less like Australia.
Awesome thanks! I’ll pass this post on to my group of boarding buddies.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Mongoose posted:

If you're in Nagano again and want to go a bit off the beaten bath, the hidden ninja village Togakushi is a pretty atmospheric little down that will feel less like Australia.

Any ideas of what Togakushi is like in the fall?

Saeku posted:

Travel planning question! Planning a trip in Autumn to spend 4-5 days in Tokyo and 7 days outside Tokyo, very interested in visiting Kanazawa and Takayama. We like historical architecture and relaxing in the country. I'm split between two itineraries for the 7 days:

Route 1
  1. Tokyo ➞ Takayama (PM)
  2. Takayama
  3. Takayama ➞ Okuhida Onsen-go (midday)
  4. Okuhida Onsen-go ➞ Kanazawa (midday)
  5. Kanazawa
  6. Kanazawa ➞ Kurobe Alpine Route (AM) ➞ Matsumoto (PM)
  7. Matsumoto ➞ Tokyo (PM)

Route 1 is significantly better than Route 2, partially because Nara is very crowded, Koyasan is now too popular (and the attraction of it isn't really that authentic anymore). However, you should still modify your itinerary to actually suit the order properly.

Do:

Tokyo to Kurobe (Nagano side)
Kanazawa
Takayama
Okuhida
Matsumoto
Tokyo

In that or reverse order.

ntan1 fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Feb 27, 2018

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005

ntan1 posted:

Any ideas of what Togakushi is like in the fall?

I've only been in Summer but I imagine fall would be excellent. Of course fall leaves would be great if they line up with your trip (you can check leaf reports online). The town is famous for the shrine in the town that's nestled in the ancient cedar woods about a 40 minute hike from the town itself. It's a mountain village in Nagano, so the local gourmet options line up with that--soba, apples, wild mushrooms and "mountain vegetables". Togakushi is one of the most famous spots for soba in Japan. Especially in Autumn, tempura and soba plates (any season other than Winter is great actually) because Kabocha squash, maitake mushrooms and sweet potatoes will be in season. The most famous soba shop in Togakushi is Uzuraya--basically you'll have to go early, get a reservation, then come back a few hours later. Of course weather and weekday vs. weekend will completely change the waiting time. Everything in Tokagushi closes early, so I'd plan to make an earlyish day of it.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Mongoose posted:

I've only been in Summer but I imagine fall would be excellent. Of course fall leaves would be great if they line up with your trip (you can check leaf reports online). The town is famous for the shrine in the town that's nestled in the ancient cedar woods about a 40 minute hike from the town itself. It's a mountain village in Nagano, so the local gourmet options line up with that--soba, apples, wild mushrooms and "mountain vegetables". Togakushi is one of the most famous spots for soba in Japan. Especially in Autumn, tempura and soba plates (any season other than Winter is great actually) because Kabocha squash, maitake mushrooms and sweet potatoes will be in season. The most famous soba shop in Togakushi is Uzuraya--basically you'll have to go early, get a reservation, then come back a few hours later. Of course weather and weekday vs. weekend will completely change the waiting time. Everything in Tokagushi closes early, so I'd plan to make an earlyish day of it.

Ty for the info. Was heavily thinking about going there because of perfect Kouyou timing.

Sorry to bust your boat, but like every mountain town makes claim to having the most famous soba. Nagano has Shinshu style, which is legit good, but at this point I've been to enough mountain towns that I'm a bit unfazed by it.

Also, Kabocha and Maitake are in season 100% of the year here where I live.

PS: This still isn't going to detract me from visiting.

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005

ntan1 posted:

Ty for the info. Was heavily thinking about going there because of perfect Kouyou timing.

Sorry to bust your boat, but like every mountain town makes claim to having the most famous soba. Nagano has Shinshu style, which is legit good, but at this point I've been to enough mountain towns that I'm a bit unfazed by it.

Also, Kabocha and Maitake are in season 100% of the year here where I live.

PS: This still isn't going to detract me from visiting.

No boats bursted. I spend most of my time in little mountain towns, so I know where you're coming from. I'd argue that even among "the most famous soba" claiming mountain town soba shops some are better than others, and Uzuraya is legitimately better than 95% of them (in my clearly subjective opinion). Everyone who's eaten a pink mealy tomato in January knows yearly availability is not the same as in season year round.

Anyways, if you like food it's a good place. If you care more about the scenery, it's still a good place. If you want to do kitschy stuff, go take a shuriken throwing lesson at the ninja dojo and have a good time.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Mongoose posted:

Everyone who's eaten a pink mealy tomato in January knows yearly availability is not the same as in season year round.

CA is legitimately an exception to this with a lot of produce. For example, farmers markets strawberries remain extremely sweet all the way from February to October, and tomatoes have a ripe season all the way from June to November. We also no joking have some ridiculous mushroom cultivators. The story goes that apparently all of these talented mushroom cultivators started off by supplying magic mushrooms, but eventually got out of that market after they realized they could make a gigantic profit on normal mushrooms. Kabocha's main season is between July and November here, but stores well and still tastes quite good out of season.

Certain Sansai in Japan however are still not possible to find here though, so that's where the difference lies.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I just finished 9 days in Hokkaido and here's my ranking of resorts from best to worst.

Rusutsu
Hirafu
Moiwa
Annupuri

Niseko village.

NV is expensive as gently caress to ride and so was the food. Not only that it's really limited in how you can ride to get around.

Rusutsu has the best terrain by far. Endless side stashes and nice long groomers with so much great off piste you'd never get bored. We skipped lunch both days there to keep riding.

Moiwa is good since it's cheap as hell and if there is fresh snow, plenty of deep stuff to ride. Quiet as too.

Hirafu we only rode at night but was super fun.

Annupuri is ok but nothing amazing.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Yeah Rusutsu owns doesn't it. Once you get off that first mountain it's practically deserted by Japan standards as well.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

How stupid is it really to go over the New Year? I'm formulating a nebulous plan to go for about 3 weeks starting Dec 29th (arrive Tokyo). I know that Shinkansen are basically completely packed, but is it possible to travel "against" the crowded direction?

I want to do something like:

- Tokyo, visit some temples, stay until Jan 1 or 2, do a Lucky 7.
- Move on to Kamakura, do the Kamakura 33 (2-3 days?)
- Continue to Osaka and check that out; also do the 13 Buddhist Sites (2-3 days?)
- On to Koyasan for a night. I know someone just wrote it's no longer authentic, but I kind of want to see it anyway.

At this point I should be out of the congested New Year period, but it also gets a little more nebulous. I've been pondering heading over to Shikoku, checking out the first 5-6 temples of the Shikoku 88, then heading back to Wakayama and on to Kii-Katsuura, check out the Kumano Sanzan temples, and return to Tokyo via Ise and Takaomachi (Takaosan). That only works if the ferry is operating, of course, but it appears it is.

All of this sounds like a lot of travel, but since it gets dark early and I have little to no interest in night life, travelling in the late afternoon/evening is fine with me. The main insecurity I have with this idea is whether I'll be able to get to Kamakura/Osaka without being squeezed into an even more unshapely mess.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
It sounds really, really, really, really stupid. Unless you have some fetish for standing in lines and having your feet stepped on.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Ok, go after the first week of January, got it (or November, I guess)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
How quickly can someone with a Japanese Passport + Jūminhyō open a bank account in Japan and is anything else required?

Busy Bee fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Feb 28, 2018