Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

rndmnmbr posted:

I'm legit AFP, i have deliberately filled a cup full of brown gravy and sipped it like it was coffee. Don't need any gravy carriermashed potatoes on my plate, thanks for asking though.

Put it in Tetrapaks and go after Muscle Milk. Mmm, hot gravy, lots of protein, bulk up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

If you could just straight up buy cans of hot pho broth I'd be all over that poo poo

The problem with manufacturing it is the pho only achieves its full power after everything else in the soup's been sitting in it for a little while, purely chugging the stock won't work

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

This takes me back. When I was a kid in the 70s the gelatin salad table at potlucks was a loving minefield. Being a kid at first you think they are going to be sweet, like jello, and some of them are. There was a sort of lime jello coleslaw that turned up pretty often that was pretty good.

Then one day betrayal! This isn't jello, it's unsweetened gelatin, and it's weirdly salty, and some of those lumps aren't fruits or vegetables at all! I don't know what this is, but it is revolting. I have a huge dollop of it on my plate, I can't eat this, so I'm like 5 years old and trying to sneakily dispose of it so I can go back to the table and get something else.

From then on every potluck involves peering into the murky jiggling masses trying to determine what they might be before making a commitment. Worse were the opaque ones, it might be cool whip , mayonnaise, or sour cream, but there was also a chance it could be loving canned mushroom soup. Game over man, game over.

edit: Mmm, lime jello coleslaw

Facebook Aunt has a new favorite as of 07:17 on Feb 23, 2018

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
"Gelatin salad table" is a phrase that needs to be banished from our lexicon.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Facebook Aunt posted:

This takes me back. When I was a kid in the 70s the gelatin salad table at potlucks was a loving minefield. Being a kid at first you think they are going to be sweet, like jello, and some of them are. There was a sort of lime jello coleslaw that turned up pretty often that was pretty good.

Then one day betrayal! This isn't jello, it's unsweetened gelatin, and it's weirdly salty, and some of those lumps aren't fruits or vegetables at all! I don't know what this is, but it is revolting. I have a huge dollop of it on my plate, I can't eat this, so I'm like 5 years old and trying to sneakily dispose of it so I can go back to the table and get something else.

From then on every potluck involves peering into the murky jiggling masses trying to determine what they might be before making a commitment. Worse were the opaque ones, it might be cool whip , mayonnaise, or sour cream, but there was also a chance it could be loving canned mushroom soup. Game over man, game over.

edit: Mmm, lime jello coleslaw

:randno:

I didn't realise people have actually consumed these weird gelatin creations

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Enfys posted:

In the 70s we didn't know any better. :smith:

On the other hand, no one ever tried to feed you Kale, so it wasn't all bad.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Grand Fromage posted:

If you could just straight up buy cans of hot pho broth I'd be all over that poo poo

The problem with manufacturing it is the pho only achieves its full power after everything else in the soup's been sitting in it for a little while, purely chugging the stock won't work

Bovril is hot beef broth so there's a market for it somewhere.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

CannonFodder posted:

Bovril is hot beef broth so there's a market for it somewhere.

I lived off of Bovril while recovering from my recent tonsillectomy. I could taste it and it wasn’t a sweet thing unlike all the puddings and ice cream that were my other options.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Facebook Aunt posted:

In the 70s we didn't know any better. :smith:

On the other hand, no one ever tried to feed you Kale, so it wasn't all bad.

And fondue was all the rage. My parents used to drag me to their friend's "fondue parties" where everyone would proceed to fondue everything. Like, at least three times a month. Of course, as a little kid, the thought of getting so close to burning hot oil with raw meat was strangely enticing. Folks were fondue-ing poo poo like raw potatoes in cheese, broccoli in hot butter, and raw oysters. It was weird.

E: Just noticed the guy with the acoustic guitar. Yep, that's a legit picture. Except that it's not set in someone's Polynesian themed rec room in the basement.

BlankIsBeautiful has a new favorite as of 15:07 on Feb 23, 2018

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Prism posted:

Malt vinegar.

Or apple cider vinegar.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Grand Fromage posted:

nothin wrong with a man having a sip of some fine meat juice

Thanks, Ron.

E: I regularly drink chicken broth and will also happily drink Marmite tea. Protip? Get some Knorr tom yum bouillon cubes and drink a hot cup of that poo poo with extra lime and chili next time you have a hangover. Or not when you have a hangover.

Fleta Mcgurn has a new favorite as of 15:44 on Feb 23, 2018

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Or a cold.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Enfys posted:

My mom makes Jello "Salad" for thanksgiving. The mixed fruit isn't so bad, but the walnuts are just weird man.

Honestly my bigger problem with it is that it just takes up belly space that could be filled with mashed potatoes, turkey, or green beans.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Iron Crowned posted:

Honestly my bigger problem with it is that it just takes up belly space that could be filled with mashed potatoes, turkey, or green beans.

This is 100% why I never ate my mom's mandarin oranges and/or pineapples in jello at holiday meals

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

my family's jello mold for thanksgiving (which my grandparents :rip: used to make and now my dad makes it) is lime jello, sour cream, walnuts and canned pineapple chunks

I like it, tho I could do without the nuts, but it's definitely weird as hell and a strange color

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Apparently my great grandmother was big into tomato aspics. Mom says they weren't terrible, but it's pretty much just cold gelatinous tomato juice and she's glad she doesn't have to eat them anymore.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

And fondue was all the rage. My parents used to drag me to their friend's "fondue parties" where everyone would proceed to fondue everything. Like, at least three times a month. Of course, as a little kid, the thought of getting so close to burning hot oil with raw meat was strangely enticing. Folks were fondue-ing poo poo like raw potatoes in cheese, broccoli in hot butter, and raw oysters. It was weird.

E: Just noticed the guy with the acoustic guitar. Yep, that's a legit picture. Except that it's not set in someone's Polynesian themed rec room in the basement.

Am I the only one who gets a "key party" vibe every time I see pictures of people doing... fondue... things? I thought it might have been the '70s aesthetic that invariably comes with it, but no, it was still there with the brief fondue resurgence about ten years ago.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

KHLAV KALASHNIKOV posted:

Am I the only one who gets a "key party" vibe every time I see pictures of people doing... fondue... things? I thought it might have been the '70s aesthetic that invariably comes with it, but no, it was still there with the brief fondue resurgence about ten years ago.

Let's all dip our sticks together. :quagmire:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Not much to look at from the package, but these things are awful. When you first bite into one they're very dry and crumbly, with a slightly offputting taste. Then, as soon as it mixes with your saliva, it turns into a dry, chalky paste that squeaks when you rub your tongue against your teeth. I tried dipping one into a cup of coffee and it just dissolved into mush.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Ziv Zulander posted:

Not much to look at from the package, but these things are awful. When you first bite into one they're very dry and crumbly, with a slightly offputting taste. Then, as soon as it mixes with your saliva, it turns into a dry, chalky paste that squeaks when you rub your tongue against your teeth. I tried dipping one into a cup of coffee and it just dissolved into mush.

A cursory Google search makes me think you aren't supposed to eat those straight.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

KHLAV KALASHNIKOV posted:

Am I the only one who gets a "key party" vibe every time I see pictures of people doing... fondue... things?
I know I will regret asking this, I know that this knowledge will only cause me despair, but: what is a "key party"?

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Yawgmoth posted:

I know I will regret asking this, I know that this knowledge will only cause me despair, but: what is a "key party"?

swingers

e:

quote:

A couples party where all of the men put their car keys into a bowl or bag and at the end of the party, the women blindly select a set of keys to determine who she goes home with for the rest of the evening for sexual gratification.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Poops Mcgoots posted:

A cursory Google search makes me think you aren't supposed to eat those straight.

I've still got them, how should they be eaten?

Yawgmoth posted:

Swingers. You go to a party, and everybody puts their keys in a jar. Then when it's time to pair up, you grab a set of keys and find its owner.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Ziv Zulander posted:

So, Altoids?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
That's less horrible than I was preparing for. Thanks guys!

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Ziv Zulander posted:

I've still got them, how should they be eaten?

Nevermind, I apparently searched the wrong thing. Those are supposed to be eaten dry and straight up. :shrug:

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Thanks, Ron.

E: I regularly drink chicken broth and will also happily drink Marmite tea. Protip? Get some Knorr tom yum bouillon cubes and drink a hot cup of that poo poo with extra lime and chili next time you have a hangover. Or not when you have a hangover.

Cheers. Got some coming.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Ziv Zulander posted:

Swingers. You go to a party, and everybody puts their keys in a jar. Then when it's time to pair up, you grab a set of keys and find its owner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVrNfFPYMWE

This episode pretty much (no pun intended) nails it. That 70s Show wasn't really too far off the mark at all for that decade.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Cakefarts Carol posted:

I just woke up from a nap and the weirdest part of this is the use of ginger snaps

I've seen this in quite a few mid-century American recipes, particularly sauerbraten. I wonder if it's because they were cheaper/more widely available than ginger in any other form.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Ziv Zulander posted:

If these are anything like polvorones then definitely would, though I acknowledge that the dry powdery texture might be an acquired taste. IDK.

Also lol if their name literally comes from Spanish because it'd mean "dry whore"

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

!

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Why would I debate someone who doesn't know the difference between pasta and pastry.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

rodbeard posted:

Why would I debate someone who doesn't know the difference between pizza and sandwiches.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

rodbeard posted:

Why would I debate someone who doesn't know the difference between pasta and pastry.

I’d argue that pop tarts are more akin to a calzone, which is a folded-over pizza, and thus not subject to your rules.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

What an odd way of spelling hot dogs.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Aunt Beth posted:

I’d argue that pop tarts are more akin to a calzone, which is a folded-over pizza, and thus not subject to your rules.

Calzones are pizza sandwiches

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Pop tarts and ravioli are both sandwiches

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Rollersnake posted:

I've seen this in quite a few mid-century American recipes, particularly sauerbraten. I wonder if it's because they were cheaper/more widely available than ginger in any other form.

I am thinking pretty much that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

bike tory posted:

Pop tarts and ravioli are both sandwiches

I would argue against ravioli being sandwiches, because barring a couple of open face options (maybe), the idea of a sandwich is NOT slathered in sauce.