Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I think their heart is in the right place, but I think shipping just a survival mode on a small island will place them against more established games like Devil Daggers, which will find them wanting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
That trailer looks like dog poo poo and they’re releasing survival mode because it requires absolutely no effort on the part of level or AI design. Steam is littered with games exactly like that, crappy throwaway wave based action titles with zero redeeming qualities.

e: the only good one of those games is Blood & Bacon :colbert:

It reminds me of God Mode, one of the many reskins of their own games that Saber Interactive put out this time under the awful dev name of Old School Games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuxoD7xLSQM

SO OLD SCHOOL JUST LIKE YOU REMEMBER IN THE 90S oh wait no it's just another game cloned from that godawful poo poo Inversion and the R.I.P.D. movie tie-in.

Yodzilla fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Feb 23, 2018

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FSedMKJQ4w

This looks like a fake videogame you'd see in a CSI or Law & Order episode.

I feel like there's a certain irony to demo'ing a game on the premise of being a hardcore/classic 90's FPS, and pretty obviously using a gamepad while recording the footage.

Still, looks like it could be entertaining enough. Although I think the current "gun feel" is very lacking, whether it's the minigun barrels calmly spinning or the rifle slowly looping through its firing animation.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I, too, remember the 90s, when single player campaigns and multiplayer modes were at the bottom of the list for FPS devs

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
We've rocketed straight past the Quake/Serious Sam period of nostalgia and slammed straight into the bargain bin knockoffs like Will Rock.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Funny hat you bring that up because Will Rock was the FIRST game Saber Interactive developed.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I had already forgotten devil daggers exists so I'm sure this next early access run around in a circle survival mode game will be a huge success and not at all a game I would spend one afternoon on and never play again

leekster
Jun 20, 2013
Just finished reading Masters of DOOM and I'm really in the mood to read more about DOOM. Are there any books that go into the design and mapping of levels? I'd love to read more about how maps are made or what people consider when building them.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Not an FPS but The Haunted: Hell's Reach was a legit good survival game based on a mod. I fire it from time to time because is fun to roundhouse kick a demon and blow his head off.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

leekster posted:

Just finished reading Masters of DOOM and I'm really in the mood to read more about DOOM. Are there any books that go into the design and mapping of levels? I'd love to read more about how maps are made or what people consider when building them.

Well it's not a book, but I'd certainly be happy to answer any questions you may have about DOOM or DOOM accessories.

leekster
Jun 20, 2013

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Well it's not a book, but I'd certainly be happy to answer any questions you may have about DOOM or DOOM accessories.

To you, and the thread at large if anyone is interested, what is the general workflow of making a map? What's the process from idea to completion?

What are the most important aspects to consider?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

leekster posted:

To you, and the thread at large if anyone is interested, what is the general workflow of making a map? What's the process from idea to completion?

What are the most important aspects to consider?

I like to start any conceptual level by figuring out where I'm going to put the bathrooms. If a map theme doesn't lend itself to having bathrooms, it gets immediately discarded for a theme that does (this is less common than you might think; bathrooms can exist in most settings). An easy "cheat" I've discovered to hone my map-making skills is to open up maps created by other authors, and then put some hand-built high-detailed toilets in the map. That tends to get the creative juices flowing, and it injects a degree of realism into the map that it probably didn't have beforehand.

Like, take Doom 2 Map 15 "Industrial Zone" for example: We're to believe that this takes place in a beleagured urban hellscape, but you mean to tell me that not one bathroom can be found? How were people living in this city before the invasion?

Or basically anything by that intolerable hack, Sandy Peterson--Doom 2 Map 16 "The Suburbs"?? Doesn't look like any suburb I've ever been to. It makes me wonder if Peterson has ever seen a city, or if he was really living in the woods like Romero claimed he was when iD found him.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Feb 23, 2018

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

You didn't design the first couple of levels of Cold Winter, did you?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Source your quotes.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

site posted:

I had already forgotten devil daggers exists so I'm sure this next early access run around in a circle survival mode game will be a huge success and not at all a game I would spend one afternoon on and never play again

i wish i had come up with such a simple game tho - they made more than a million bucks off it.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

leekster posted:

If you're at all interested in reading Jacked give it a while first. It's nowhere near as good as Masters of Doom. It's not really his fault. Mostly it's that the principle subjects are really unlikable people, and in an uninteresting way too. It's still worth reading.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I feel like there's a certain irony to demo'ing a game on the premise of being a hardcore/classic 90's FPS, and pretty obviously using a gamepad while recording the footage.

Shareware version of Wolfenstein 3D used to advertise the Gravis Gamepad when you quit - and if you bought a Gravis Gamepad it came with the shareware version of Wolfenstein 3D. "90s FPS" is such a loving dumb term to use given the changes during the decade

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

I did this and could have stopped it, but nothing in nature ever follows a gaussian curve. Sure, they'll tell you that it does. They say that every five minutes someone dies in a car accident, but how often are there seven hundred and sixty one armless and legless corpses in one hangar?
I think it's worth mentioning that Saber did put out the rather enjoyable TimeShift.

The weapons ranged from conventional to inventive, the time powers were fun to use throughout the entire campaign (partially because they were weaponized in grenade form in addition to having the generic power suit that let you do stuff), and throwing all of that into a free-for-all arena online worked surprisingly well.

Catching several guys in a time bubble, firing a rocket into it, and running past while they yell at you over the microphone owned.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

leekster posted:

This is worth the $5 it takes to read -

http://www.shacknews.com/article/101156/rocket-jump-quake-and-the-golden-age-of-first-person-shooters

It covers a lot more than DOOM, there is quite a bit about design in some of the sections.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Yeah, that was a really good read. Carmack mentioning that his wife has filed off most of his rough edges made me happy for some reason.

the nucas
Sep 12, 2002
his crowdfunding campaign for a print copy of that article is making slow but steady progress.

i'm putting off reading it myself since i'm hoping the book gets published, i hate reading long form stuff on a computer screen.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

the nucas posted:

his crowdfunding campaign for a print copy of that article is making slow but steady progress.

i'm putting off reading it myself since i'm hoping the book gets published, i hate reading long form stuff on a computer screen.
In this case I think you literally have to use a computer since they didn’t bother breaking the page up at all and the full version crashes the browser on mobile.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
They don't even offer an epub version when you unlock the full thing?

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

leekster posted:

It's not quite the same thing, but DOOM:SCARYDARKFAST goes on a deep dive into the original levels.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Sdoots posted:

I think it's worth mentioning that Saber did put out the rather enjoyable TimeShift.

The weapons ranged from conventional to inventive, the time powers were fun to use throughout the entire campaign (partially because they were weaponized in grenade form in addition to having the generic power suit that let you do stuff), and throwing all of that into a free-for-all arena online worked surprisingly well.

Catching several guys in a time bubble, firing a rocket into it, and running past while they yell at you over the microphone owned.

Timeshift was a really solid B-tier game that probably would have been a hit if it wasn’t in development for so drat long. I’m pretty sure they released a demo of the old steampunk-ish version before canning it for over a year, rewriting the engine, and completely changing the art and setting. Saber also does solid port work.

I remember the end of Timeshift being extremely Half-Life and Dr. Breen as gently caress.

e: and I have no basis for this but Timeshift and Haze are forever linked in my brain for some reason

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.

Yodzilla posted:

e: and I have no basis for this but Timeshift and Haze are forever linked in my brain for some reason

Thank God I thought I was the only one. probably because they're both average scifi FPSes with similarly-armored men facing the same direction for the box covers. also both were yellow.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Yodzilla posted:

Timeshift was a really solid B-tier game that probably would have been a hit if it wasn’t in development for so drat long. I’m pretty sure they released a demo of the old steampunk-ish version before canning it for over a year, rewriting the engine, and completely changing the art and setting. Saber also does solid port work.

I remember the end of Timeshift being extremely Half-Life and Dr. Breen as gently caress.

Probably the box art:

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

One thing that I love about Doom and dislike about Serious Sam is SS's arena style battles. I hated that in nuDoom and it seems all these throwback FPSs forget about that.

the nucas
Sep 12, 2002

Yodzilla posted:

they really went full half life, no cutscene silent protagonist talking suit during the redesign. I remember it was originally being marketed having the lead voiced by Dennis Quaid and the villain was Michael Ironside.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Haha oh god I forgot about that cover art, I knew I wasn’t crazy!

And a recent Beastcast brought up Die Hard Nakatomi Plaza and I realized I never played that game. Is there anything redeeming about it? Are there ANY good OG LithTech engine games not involving Aliens? And I’m talking pre-FEAR Jupiter.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Yodzilla posted:

Haha oh god I forgot about that cover art, I knew I wasn’t crazy!

And a recent Beastcast brought up Die Hard Nakatomi Plaza and I realized I never played that game. Is there anything redeeming about it? Are there ANY good OG LithTech engine games not involving Aliens? And I’m talking pre-FEAR Jupiter.
I think No One Lives Forever 1 is pretty good if you can overlook some clunkiness, and 2 is just a few annoying design decisions away from being great. The problems with 2 aren't even the engine's fault either; they had already ironed out most of the Lithtech jank by that point.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Yodzilla posted:

And a recent Beastcast brought up Die Hard Nakatomi Plaza and I realized I never played that game. Is there anything redeeming about it?

Nope

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

i liked shogo and oni but they’re b level games at best

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

DoubleCakes posted:

dislike about Serious Sam is SS's arena style battles
I've tried arguing this point over and over again when someone compares Sam to Doom and it just falls on dumbfuck deaf ears every goddamn time. Serious Sam is seriously loving mediocre when it comes to making the combat even remotely interesting compared to Doom or Quake.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I'm pretty sure the only good Die Hard games are Die Hard Arcade (which is just a reskin of a arcade beat-em-up called Dynamite Deka) and Die Hard Trilogy, which has incredible everybody-is-made-of-paper graphical technology.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Yodzilla posted:

Are there ANY good OG LithTech engine games not involving Aliens? And I’m talking pre-FEAR Jupiter.

Shogo's pretty good. Blood 2 is... Blood 2; it's hampered by being a sequel to Blood but it's not an awful game on its own.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

DoubleCakes posted:

One thing that I love about Doom and dislike about Serious Sam is SS's arena style battles. I hated that in nuDoom and it seems all these throwback FPSs forget about that.

same as hell.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Casual Encountess posted:

i liked shogo and oni but they’re b level games at best

I don’t think Oni is Lith?

The Kins posted:

I'm pretty sure the only good Die Hard games are Die Hard Arcade (which is just a reskin of a arcade beat-em-up called Dynamite Deka) and Die Hard Trilogy, which has incredible everybody-is-made-of-paper graphical technology.

Die Hard Trilogy legit owns.

Lork posted:

I think No One Lives Forever 1 is pretty good if you can overlook some clunkiness, and 2 is just a few annoying design decisions away from being great. The problems with 2 aren't even the engine's fault either; they had already ironed out most of the Lithtech jank by that point.

I completely forgot about the NOLFs and now I feel bad. I didn’t realize that Medal of Honor: Pacific Assault was LithTech Jupiter though. EA must not have liked it to use it for only one (mediocre) title!

Enemies scattered about and wandering levels >>>>> dudes being spawned into an arena. This is true for any genre, not just first person shooters.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Yodzilla posted:

I don’t think Oni is Lith?

Definitely not, though its engine is as janky and terrible as early Lithtech in its own way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

skasion posted:

Definitely not, though its engine is as janky and terrible as early Lithtech in its own way

probably why i thought that. i love oni even though it’s pretty busted. i don’t think there were many third person games like that for pc.