Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Great, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
Does anyone remember that mass shooting simulation that was run by a (conservative?) group a year or so back that tried to prove the "good guy with a gun" premise worked that ended up backfiring? I feel like I'm going to be bringing that up a lot in the next few days.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

MelvinBison posted:

Does anyone remember that mass shooting simulation that was run by a (conservative?) group a year or so back that tried to prove the "good guy with a gun" premise worked that ended up backfiring? I feel like I'm going to be bringing that up a lot in the next few days.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jan/15/texas-gun-group-charlie-hebdo-paintball

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

MelvinBison posted:

iirc, the handwave explanation the last time was that the simulation somehow didn't count because "reasons."
So be prepared for a lot of that.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

VitalSigns posted:

Wait why do we need to arm any teachers if the shooting was fake and all the victims were just actors

The teachers will be able to resist the G men telling them to participate in the plot, dummy.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
Cheers.

the_steve posted:

iirc, the handwave explanation the last time was that the simulation somehow didn't count because "reasons."
So be prepared for a lot of that.
I'd be lying if I said this would change their minds, it's more I don't want to leave my relatives' bullshit unanswered.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

MelvinBison posted:

I'd be lying if I said this would change their minds, it's more I don't want to leave my relatives' bullshit unanswered.

Just so long as you're emotionally prepared to watch the goalpost move through different states, timezones and hemispheres.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

the_steve posted:

Just so long as you're emotionally prepared to watch the goalpost move through different states,

The goalposts will move so fast they sublimate from solid to gaseous, with potential for plasma.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Lightning Knight posted:

The teachers will be able to resist the G men telling them to participate in the plot, dummy.
The right man in... the wrong place... can make all the dif... ference in the world. Mister Freeman.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

VitalSigns posted:

Wouldn't it be easy to investigate a given veteran's story and prove that he really did fight in Vietnam though?

Are you familiar with the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Avenging_Mikon posted:

The goalposts will move so fast they sublimate from solid to gaseous, with potential for plasma.

This is conservatives and guns; the goalposts will move so much they'll quit existing in these puny three dimensions. They will become hyper goalposts that mortal minds can't comprehend; they will extend beyond time and space. They will no longer be in the same reality.

America's right wing is no longer constrained by pesky things like "reality" or "facts." They believe what they believe and anything that refutes or disproves it in any way at all is a lieberal conspiracy perpetuated by Obama and Soros. The reason? Because liberals hate freedom and America.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

When you share Bors you should link to the nib

https://thenib.com/rules-schmules

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

MelvinBison posted:

There was this one, but several years ago. Not sure if this is the one you meant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QjZY3WiO9s

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Ahh yes the infamous "immigration process that has no background checks". :psyduck:

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I think the ID for voting thing is hilarious.

I haven't needed to show ID to vote in years because I vote by mail.

Weird how nobody is worried about fraud when we're discussing a method of voting that's super convenient for middle class people who rarely move and have mailboxes in their front yards.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I think the ID for voting thing is hilarious.

I haven't needed to show ID to vote in years because I vote by mail.

Weird how nobody is worried about fraud when we're discussing a method of voting that's super convenient for middle class people who rarely move and have mailboxes in their front yards.

The one I like is the guy who keeps loudly insisting that there's no economic burden in getting an ID, anybody can do it, yadda-yadda -- right up until I suggest that maybe the government should take responsibility for issuing everybody with an ID, and then it becomes uneconomical to ensure that every registered voter has an ID.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

darthbob88 posted:

The one I like is the guy who keeps loudly insisting that there's no economic burden in getting an ID, anybody can do it, yadda-yadda -- right up until I suggest that maybe the government should take responsibility for issuing everybody with an ID, and then it becomes uneconomical to ensure that every registered voter has an ID.

Seriously, I’ve thrown these idiots off by saying “ok, let’s make a national ID, let’s call it a Constitutional ID, and it can serve as voting ID, gun license, and a replacement for Social Security number as an ID, and it has to be free because everyone should have access to it. It’ll probably cost like $3 billion dollars”

And suddenly it’s just too much, either because of expense or NATIONAL DATABASE :byodame:

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

DarkHorse posted:

Seriously, I’ve thrown these idiots off by saying “ok, let’s make a national ID, let’s call it a Constitutional ID, and it can serve as voting ID, gun license, and a replacement for Social Security number as an ID, and it has to be free because everyone should have access to it. It’ll probably cost like $3 billion dollars”

And suddenly it’s just too much, either because of expense or NATIONAL DATABASE :byodame:

"Oh sure I bet you want it tattooed onto my arm too don't you ADOLF" is the immediate response after that.

e: vvv Hey I saw that one too, shared by someone who also called for kicking out Trump's entire administration from office. The whiplash hurt my brain a little.

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Feb 23, 2018

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Hot take! Coming through!

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Mo_Steel posted:

"Oh sure I bet you want it tattooed onto my arm too don't you ADOLF" is the immediate response after that.

Nah, right hand or forehead.

Revelation 13:16-17 posted:

And the second beast required all people small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on their right hand or on their forehead, so that no one could buy or sell unless he had the mark—the name of the beast or the number of its name.…

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Pomplamoose posted:

This is pretty funny considering I make a very good income fixing the computers of boomers with Macs who hey fooled by callers from "Microsoft" into charging their credit cards and installing Malware to fix problems in their "windows".

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

There’s gotta be a liberal meme machine I can follow just to annoy the poo poo out of people on my feed right?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Invalid Validation posted:

There’s gotta be a liberal meme machine I can follow just to annoy the poo poo out of people on my feed right?

Mother Jones? :ussr:

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Pomplamoose posted:

these kids are pretty much the generation after millenials. where most idiots use "millenials" as a code word for young people at this point most millenials are adults and the oldest are approaching middle age

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

I’m the ConservativeFiringLine.com tag in yellow comic sans

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Faustian Bargain posted:

I’m the ConservativeFiringLine.com tag in yellow comic sans

little do they know it's conservatives that are going to be on the wall side of that line :v:

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

boner confessor posted:

these kids are pretty much the generation after millenials. where most idiots use "millenials" as a code word for young people at this point most millenials are adults and the oldest are approaching middle age

:colbert: What's your definition of "middle age"?

I'm in my late 30s and was on the edge between Gen X and Gen Y until Gen Y suddenly became not a thing any more.

If you're middle aged or approaching it then you're Gen X at the very latest.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Weatherman posted:

:colbert: What's your definition of "middle age"?

I'm in my late 30s and was on the edge between Gen X and Gen Y until Gen Y suddenly became not a thing any more.

If you're middle aged or approaching it then you're Gen X at the very latest.

Nobody can seem to totally agree on who a millennial is and is not. One of the defining features seems to be "grew up with the internet" but there are people in their upper 30's who did and many who did not. Originally it seemed to be "the internet generation" or Gen Y. "Came of age around the millennium" is another one but that makes it pretty narrow. People who graduated high school in like 1999-2001 are probably considered millennials generally but are approaching middle age in that that puts them pushing 40.

There isn't some clear, defining year where everything changed for that like there was with, say, 1968 when basically everything changed. There's 9/11 but that's more of a political turning point than a generational one considering that the internet was what made a major change in a world and was already chugging along by that point. So now you have this blurry line because people in their mid 30's who used the internet as a kid are different than people in the mid 30's who barely touched a computer ever.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben
The way I'd always split it was 1980 - 1995 for a first memory of Gorbachev to 9/11.

What to call whoever comes after is someone else's problem, cause generations are usually pretty dumb.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
"Millennial" is just conservative-speak for "someone who thinks we can affect meaningful change instead of holding the status quo, and is probably younger than me."

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

jivjov posted:

"Millennial" is just conservative-speak for "someone who thinks we can affect meaningful change instead of holding the status quo, and is probably younger than me."

poo poo, you could probably just trim that down to "someone younger than me."

The fact that Conservatives hate the young and only value them for the purpose of bathing in their blood and stealing their vitality is pretty well established and doesn't need clarification.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

ToxicSlurpee posted:

People who graduated high school in like 1999-2001 are probably considered millennials generally but are approaching middle age in that that puts them pushing 40.

Graduated in 2000. Didn't realize 35 means "pushing 40" now.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
37 is the upper range of millennial according to Forbes (Check the date of the article)

https://www.forbes.com/sites/carolinebeaton/2016/02/29/the-oldest-millennials-just-turned-35-this-is-how-gen-y-ages/#2988b41368d9

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Alterian posted:

Graduated in 2000. Didn't realize 35 means "pushing 40" now.

I too am 35, actually.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Also, a significant portion of tide pod deaths has been older people with dementia. So feel free to throw that back when you see tide pod memes.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Also, a significant portion of tide pod deaths has been older people with dementia. So feel free to throw that back when you see tide pod memes.

Haven't they also killed some toddlers who didn't know any better because they're, you know, babies?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Haven't they also killed some toddlers who didn't know any better because they're, you know, babies?

Some, I think its more that when you've got toddlers, you make sure to keep the cabinets locked.

When you have a parent with dementia, you don't take the same kinds of precautions and you might even buy them pods specifically to simplify laundry.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Yea, the overwhelming number of detergent injuries/deaths are for little kids who stumble onto them and are still at the stage where they naturally experiment with their mouths. It's not even as much that they look like candy or anything, just that many toddlers will put literally anything in their mouth as part of their normal investigation process, which is why you have to watch them even around things that are no in way like as food.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Pomplamoose posted:

Things like this always remind me of the time some teachers in New Hampshire tried to get their students interested in how local politics worked and had them craft a bill to make the red-tailed hawk the official state raptor. So the reps. defeated the bill then mocked the students. Because if a kid has an opinion then they drat well need to be taken down a peg or two I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Pomplamoose posted:

Not that generational theory isn’t bullshit, but I’m pretty sure people born after 9/11 aren’t millenials. They’re getting the title generation Z. 10 bucks says the author of the image macro is either a self hating millennial or a poo poo eating baby boomer.