Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Unions also exist to promote worker safety so the cop made the right decision. gently caress capital.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bearjew posted:

Should I add them to the terrorist organization list?

cant be much of a list if they weren't already at the top of it

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/mikespiesnyc/status/967002101661536256

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Elephanthead posted:

First of all the cop at the Florida school was not a security guard he was a top of the pay grade veteran cop on a cush assignment. He simply made the decision his union has trained him to make, gently caress you got mine. He will retire and get paid 90% of his regular pay with full health benefits until he dies.

This comes off anti union which I am not just it is unfortunate that cops have commoditized public safety to the point of collars fer dollars. it works better when you are building diets cokes.

the cops where i grew up were in the local teamsters and most cleared over $100k/yr via overtime

what do teachers make again?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Potato Salad posted:

gi-ant in-sects??!!

Those happened due to higher levels of O^2, not CO^2... these people are morons.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

I know but it's weird for me to see people on the left attacking the unions. There are so many problems with our police and justice systems. I can promise that if cops weren't unionized we'd still have the same issues. Pressure to target minorities to fund police services, manipulated juries acquitting the police in all criminal cases, corrupt and racist laws and courts, etc. etc. etc. None of these things are created by the union.

Would you let the military unionize?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
looking at the (hilariously ill-advised) "all gun owners are bad" thread in d&d, i stand by my opinion that it's stupid and crazy to think that this forum is important enough for any "paid" troll accounts to register here

hell suckzone unironically believes the clinton campaign paid a bunch of accounts to argue with them and they're wrong about everything

but, i am a little weirded out over how many pro-trump/right-wing accounts are ones that registered around 10 years ago but went completely dormant until last year

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
https://twitter.com/randrewwhite/status/964580244345769987

Our lovely governor to a sheriff who wont gestapo SS immigrants "get shot and die plz"

https://twitter.com/fawfulfan/status/967020326512185344

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
they call em pigs for a reason you kno

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Lawman 0 posted:

Would you let the military unionize?
Yes, because veterans are largely exploited members of the working class, and they're often abandoned as soon as their service is no longer required. Once again, worker representation isn't the problem. The police are a symptom of larger issues. Their ability to negotiate hours and pay didn't create those.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
https://twitter.com/StephenKing/status/967020817740595202

wint: you do not have to, under any circumstance, hand it to isis .txt

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

hahaha i'm making GBS threads and pissing and puking non stop

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Just saying "group I dislike can't unionize because they're corrupt" is the exact argument used against teachers unions, public employees unions, etc.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Mariana Horchata posted:

i missed this yesterday but can't say im surprised at all as i kno that was most definitely no mistake when it happened

https://twitter.com/gregpmiller/status/966854329893359616

:ocelot:

yeah, Russian mercenaries. Big deal. They're just irl trolls, no real connection to my very good friend vlad

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

pathetic little tramp posted:

i was just thinking - lance armstrong got cancer and won the tour de france or whatever right

but did he maybe develop cancer because he injected himself with he own pee

sitting on a bike seat makes it harder for your body to properly store pee in the balls where it belongs, which can lead to health complications such as cancer over a prolonged period

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Agrajag posted:

im pretty sure that security guard made the right call not to go in like a freakin cowboy

like hell i would trust a security guard to know how to act in a ghigh stress situation like that and not end up shooting the wrong people

The whole loving point is to have him ready to rush towards danger. That's why he has a gun. That's what he's supposed to be trained to do. My office just had this long Active Shooter presentation and the officer giving it made a big deal about how waiting for a squad of specially trained police to arrive took to long and could lead to more lives lost. So the new standard is to enter the building as soon as possible.

What's worse is that this guard knew these kids. He was there every day and saw some of the grow up in the school that he felt like he was protecting. But in reality he was probably cuffing kids for being unruly and the one time their lives depended on him he failed them. I get that it's scary to run towards a shooting but that's the loving job you get paid to do.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

MariusLecter posted:

https://twitter.com/randrewwhite/status/964580244345769987

Our lovely governor to a sheriff who wont gestapo SS immigrants "get shot and die plz"

https://twitter.com/fawfulfan/status/967020326512185344

https://twitter.com/relyontruth/status/965448846628200448

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Oxxidation posted:

but, i am a little weirded out over how many pro-trump/right-wing accounts are ones that registered around 10 years ago but went completely dormant until last year

I registered a bunch of accounts on right-wing sites something like 9-10 years ago and have only made 2-3 trolling posts ever with them. I got bored before I could get banned.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

quote:

[Marion] Hammer is the National Rifle Association’s Florida lobbyist. At seventy-eight years old, she is nearing four decades as the most influential gun lobbyist in the United States. Her policies have elevated Florida’s gun owners to a uniquely privileged status, and made the public carrying of firearms a fact of daily life in the state. Daley was referring to a law that Hammer worked to enact in 2011, during Governor Rick Scott’s first year in office. The statute punishes local officials who attempt to establish gun regulations stricter than those imposed at the state level. Officials can be fined thousands of dollars and removed from office.

Legal papers filed by the N.R.A. assert that the organization was “deeply involved in advocating” for the legislation. Hammer oversaw its development. When government policy analysts suggested even minor adjustments to the bill’s language, they made sure to receive Hammer’s approval. In an e-mail to Hammer about three draft amendments, an analyst wrote, “Marion, I’ve spoken with you about the first one,” and went on to note that a different staffer “said she’d spoken with you about the others.” The e-mail concluded, “Let me know what you think.” The amendments addressed matters such as where fines should be deposited.

The sponsor of the bill was Matt Gaetz, at the time a twenty-eight-year-old Republican state representative. “That’s the sequence of how each piece is done,” Representative Dennis Baxley, a close ally of Hammer, told me. On bills that he sponsors, he said, “she works on it with the analyst. Then I look it over and file it. I’m not picky on the details.” (Gaetz acknowledges that Hammer was a “significant contributor” to his bill but denies that she oversaw its drafting.)

From that New Yorker piece. Basically the NRA writes law in Florida, which isn't surprising at all, and everyone knows that's how it works.

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

FactsAreUseless posted:

Just saying "group I dislike can't unionize because they're corrupt" is the exact argument used against teachers unions, public employees unions, etc.

police are management

Bearjew
Apr 18, 2017

freckle posted:

cant be much of a list if they weren't already at the top of it

1. NRA
2. Republican party
3. Electoral college
4. Fox News
5. Trump
6. White people
7. NCAA
8. Police unions

69. C-SPAM

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

i hate the congrats they keep giving to these fuckos for showing up to promote "moar guns now*

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
ddale might die of alcohol poisoning before CPAC is over
https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/967034810920308737

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

Those groups don't have guns op.
My greatest fear is having a praetorian guard/janissaries style situation in this country.
Also before you ask I want to clean out the officer corps and impose strict restrictions on their post "retirement" activities.
I understand your argument though. :)

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

GobiasIndustries posted:

ddale might die of alcohol poisoning before CPAC is over
https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/967034810920308737

is that what we calling bombs nowadays?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

FactsAreUseless posted:

yea but *group i dislike* are corrupt and bad!

Bearjew
Apr 18, 2017

Agrajag posted:

is that what we calling bombs nowadays?

That's what we've been calling it since... Korea?

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

MariusLecter posted:

https://twitter.com/StephenKing/status/967020817740595202

wint: you do not have to, under any circumstance, hand it to isis .txt

I'll give Rubio credit for showing up but not a paid mouthpiece of the NRA. Rubio did it because he's a public figure and politicians are supposed to answer directly to their constituents. Loesch was just doing it for a pay check.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Mariana Horchata posted:

they call em pigs for a reason you kno

Because they taste like pork?

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Bearjew posted:

That's what we've been calling it since... Korea?

oh right

m'bad

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

LawfulWaffle posted:

The whole loving point is to have him ready to rush towards danger. That's why he has a gun. That's what he's supposed to be trained to do. My office just had this long Active Shooter presentation and the officer giving it made a big deal about how waiting for a squad of specially trained police to arrive took to long and could lead to more lives lost. So the new standard is to enter the building as soon as possible.

What's worse is that this guard knew these kids. He was there every day and saw some of the grow up in the school that he felt like he was protecting. But in reality he was probably cuffing kids for being unruly and the one time their lives depended on him he failed them. I get that it's scary to run towards a shooting but that's the loving job you get paid to do.

lol when the cops got there they didnt rush in either, and this guy would have probably just shot some kid with a phone in his hand

life isnt a video game or an action movie and this guy is a scapegoat to avoid talking about the real problem

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Agrajag posted:

i hate the congrats they keep giving to these fuckos for showing up to promote "moar guns now*
Nothing bothers me more about that than an elected official standing on stage side by side with someone who is supposed to be a private citizen, talking about public policy together. I mean I always vaguely thought of the NRA as part of the government but it’s never been more clear. Its just another piece of the failing state poo poo going on every day.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

freckle posted:

police are management

arguably yes which is why most states specifically say police can be in unions

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Al! posted:

lol when the cops got there they didnt rush in either, and this guy would have probably just shot some kid with a phone in his hand

life isnt a video game or an action movie and this guy is a scapegoat to avoid talking about the real problem

exactly

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Lawman 0 posted:

Those groups don't have guns op.
My greatest fear is having a praetorian guard/janissaries style situation in this country.
Also before you ask I want to clean out the officer corps and impose strict restrictions on their post "retirement" activities.
I understand your argument though. :)
This isn't ancient Rome. Our problems are systemic, not an issue of armed takeover. You're ignoring causes in favor of symptoms.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

broken clock

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Agrajag posted:

im pretty sure that security guard made the right call not to go in like a freakin cowboy

like hell i would trust a security guard to know how to act in a ghigh stress situation like that and not end up shooting the wrong people

LOL loving 53 year-old overweight English teacher with asthma gonna be a Navy SEAL then?

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

imagine the president just yelling EL SALVADOR ONLY TAKES FROM US

ha

loving crazy right? lol

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

radical meme posted:

I'll give Rubio credit for showing up but not a paid mouthpiece of the NRA. Rubio did it because he's a public figure and politicians are supposed to answer directly to their constituents. Loesch was just doing it for a pay check.

gently caress that, I don't give Rubio credit for a thing either. He's an elected official who constantly hides from his constituents, it's the absolute bare minimum least thing he could have done in this situation. Just because Rick Scott was hiding from teens in his office all day and skipped the event doesn't mean Rubio gets any sort of credit for doing what should be an incredibly basic part of his job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

he broke the loving clock in the first place

• Locked thread