Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
the episode with george bush SR is great

but bar', we can't show any weakness in front of the russians :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
say homer, do you like foot ball? do you like na chos? well, why don't you come over and watch the game, and we'll have na chos, and then some beer!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Irradiation posted:

Bush Sr also said we should be more like the Waltons (the show not the billionaires) and less like the Simpsons.

The Waltons loving suck.

My mom likes the Waltons, then again she also liked The Simpsons back then too

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy
The Simpsons are just like The Waltons; they're both praying for an end to the recession.

I think I only saw that bit once as a kid but it really weirded me out seeing real people on The Simpsons in any capacity. The line went straight over my head

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Season 9 was mostly good but had wobbly parts, and somewhere in season 10 was where it just got bad. Season 9 had some of the best episodes, but it also had some that were kind of showing where the show was ending up heading. Lisa finds out she has all of these extended family people she'll never meet again. They start doing more the cringey episodes where side characters meet love interests voiced by celebrity guests. More hard one-off episodes like where Homer joins the navy, kills (I think?) his commanding officer, and is just let go by one literal "haha politics" line. There was also the public sex storyline with Homer and Marge. And not all of even those episodes were bad, but you can kind of see a common thread with them and problems with later episodes.

I think Season 10 has a handful of redeeming episodes, but yeah it's where things really declined.

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

the milk machine posted:

(dan quayle did this re: murphy brown and it was nationally hilarious)

lmao I remember this

murphy brown owned too

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

:unsmith: :hf: :hai:

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Code Jockey posted:

lmao I remember this

murphy brown owned too

murphy brown was good as heck

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

the milk machine posted:

murphy brown was good as heck

But it also starred a career driven woman, the bane of conservative existence.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
atleast some of the seasons post 9 were funny, or had memorable scenes. the new ones are so bad I can't recall a funny moment.

like Max Power, or the Mel Gibson one.

It's Hell being Mel :(

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
What's wrong with the Waltons

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Not enough fukkin' an' sukkin'.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Drunken Baker posted:

Not enough fukkin' an' sukkin'.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

porfiria posted:

*Pushes glasses up nose*

I think they've actually slightly aged Homer up over the years to the point where he's supposed to be 38 or something now. It's sort of a weird thing because on the one hand Homer doesn't seem to have the socioeconomic background to put off having kids until his late 20s, but on the other hand the character has always seemed older than mid 30s in terms of appearance and affect.

What's really frightening is I can remember turning Bart's age...and now I'm not that many years off from being as old as Homer. Horrifying.

No poo poo, I started working out and losing weight two years ago after I watched the episode where Homer grows to 300lbs to try and get on disability... and he started from 240lbs, which was my exact weight at the time. It was a terrible feeling knowing I was the same height and weight as a character portrayed as the fattest, laziest american possible.

I don't even want to think about how he's been married ten years, has a 3bdrm 2bath 2 story house with front and back yards, 2 cars, a garage, 3 kids and a cat and a dog.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

You know what I think my favorite Homer Simpson line ever might be?

"All right, I have thought this through. I will send Bart the money to fly home. Then I will murder him."

Like, for just one brief moment there, he is a competent adult human being, capable of planning and problem solving.

And then the deadpan twist—is like he's actually being intentionally funny for once.

It's all so out-of-character it almost feels like it's from a parallel universe, but it also feels like this is what the Simpsons might be like when the cameras are off.

I don't know, I've always loved that moment

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Data Graham posted:

"All right, I have thought this through. I will send Bart the money to fly home. Then I will murder him."

Like, for just one brief moment there, he is a competent adult human being, capable of planning and problem solving.

And then the deadpan twist—is like he's actually being intentionally funny for once.

It's all so out-of-character it almost feels like it's from a parallel universe, but it also feels like this is what the Simpsons might be like when the cameras are off.

Its a great moment cause Homer went so far down blind raging anger hole that it turned into stone cold rationality.

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

Olaf The Stout posted:

I don't even want to think about how he's been married ten years, has a 3bdrm 2bath 2 story house with front and back yards, 2 cars, a garage, 3 kids and a cat and a dog.

I think Hank Hill was originally 35 years old too.

The backstory is that the Simpsons were basically scraping by with their lifestyle, few savings, and the house was bought for them or something like that. Regardless, the closer I push to these characters in age the more I realize how much average life in America has fundamentally changed in the past 20+ years. I feel like Homer ought to be pushing 50. I have some friends with houses, cars, and babies, but I honestly can't fathom it because of how skewed the system is these days.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Grampa sold his house so Homer could buy his. Homer then shipped him off to the old folks home.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

bitterandtwisted posted:

Grampa sold his house so Homer could buy his. Homer then shipped him off to the old folks home.

Which, oddly enough, is incredibly expensive these days.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Data Graham posted:

It's also preceded by Homer turning beet red in anger with a stone cold face and putting on the hazmat helmet to muffle himself going absolutely apeshit
It's a total dad thing too which makes it funnier. Bart didn't do anything to personally affect him but he also did something careless and dangerous so of course he's gonna get mad about it

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Backweb posted:

The backstory is that the Simpsons were basically scraping by with their lifestyle, few savings, and the house was bought for them or something like that. Regardless, the closer I push to these characters in age the more I realize how much average life in America has fundamentally changed in the past 20+ years. I feel like Homer ought to be pushing 50. I have some friends with houses, cars, and babies, but I honestly can't fathom it because of how skewed the system is these days.

Not all of us can be Homer, some of us are Lenny and Moe

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Fried Watermelon posted:

Not all of us can be Homer, some of us are Lenny and Moe

Lenny had a parking spot near the very front of the plant , had a master in nuclear physics , and by all accounts was more successful than Homer . Remember when they all went to his big house to play poker ? idk the Simpsons doesn't make any god drat sense

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I thought most of us were grimey, underpaid, underappreciated and not far from a total meltdown

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Backweb posted:

yeah but hank hill is a far loving cry from homer simpson

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Olaf The Stout posted:

this post made me realize they don't have a bathroom on the ground floor. thats weird

Commie Lasorda
May 15, 2009

IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!

Riptor posted:

this post made me realize they don't have a bathroom on the ground floor. thats weird

did you check the rumpus room?

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Drive-Thru Salad Bar posted:

did you check the rumpus room?

its very impolite to take a dump in someone's rumpus room

dumpus

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Peter Daou Bundy posted:

Lenny had a parking spot near the very front of the plant , had a master in nuclear physics , and by all accounts was more successful than Homer . Remember when they all went to his big house to play poker ? idk the Simpsons doesn't make any god drat sense

What about "Don't tell anyone how I live" Lenny

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Improbable Lobster posted:

What about "Don't tell anyone how I live" Lenny

thats why it doesn't make sense, Lenny was simultaneously shown as successful and smart despite his working class looks, but that scene was also from the beginning of the Bad Simpsons

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

bitterandtwisted posted:

That was the story until the season 22 episode Marge and the Double Wide. Homer, Marge, and baby Bart were living in a trailer originally. Homer heard that the show man vs food was coming to town, and he made it this mission to out-eat the host to usurp him and get his dream job. They went to all the frying dutchman, moes, that sushi place, and the Italian place and ended up tied 2 for 2. The show made a special episode where the next winner would get a house. They went to Chicago and had the contest at an iron chef restaurant. The host won, but homer stayed there and kept eating literally all the food one ingredient at a time while the iron chef begged him to stop until he was finally bribed with buying the house to make him go away

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Sentient Data posted:

That was the story until the season 22 episode Marge and the Double Wide. Homer, Marge, and baby Bart were living in a trailer originally. Homer heard that the show man vs food was coming to town, and he made it this mission to out-eat the host to usurp him and get his dream job. They went to all the frying dutchman, moes, that sushi place, and the Italian place and ended up tied 2 for 2. The show made a special episode where the next winner would get a house. They went to Chicago and had the contest at an iron chef restaurant. The host won, but homer stayed there and kept eating literally all the food one ingredient at a time while the iron chef begged him to stop until he was finally bribed with buying the house to make him go away

stop, stop, he's already dead

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Riptor posted:

(From a bad episode)

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Sentient Data posted:

this is repulsive

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

SEX BURRITO posted:

(From a bad episode)

I refuse to acknowledge this

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

Sentient Data posted:

:chloe:

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Okay, I crunched the numbers. Now imagine that all episodes of The Simpsons that have aired so far, from the pilot to last night's episode, is the song "Bohemian Rhapsody". Saddlesore Galactica happens in the moment of the song when he sings the word "truth".

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Calaveron posted:

It's also preceded by Homer turning beet red in anger with a stone cold face and putting on the hazmat helmet to muffle himself going absolutely apeshit
It's a total dad thing too which makes it funnier. Bart didn't do anything to personally affect him but he also did something careless and dangerous so of course he's gonna get mad about it

Yeah that whole segment is in the top 5 simpsons gags for me

I think my favourite is
"Hello, is this NASA? Good! I'm sick of your boring space launches! SHUT UP! And another thing, how come I can't get no Tang around here?"
followed by
"Is this President Clinton? Good! I figured if anyone knew where to get some tang it'd be you...SHUT UP!"

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
The NASA episode has some of the best gags of that season for certain.

"Second comes right after first!"

"...Homer, you already dialed the phone."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

Peter Daou Bundy posted:

and from what i saw in the newer episodes, they do keep updating stuff. their tv is a flat screen. their cars are still from the late 80's from the looks of it. hell they could milk atleast 5 more episodes out of the SIMPSONS GET A NEW CARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

The cars are from the early 70s, at the latest. The pink one has an eight track.