Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Mimesweeper posted:

Don't hesitate, endgame warframe is 90% fashion and 10% giving away free poo poo to improve the new player experience, especially within the clan.

speaking of which, now that I'm armed with five years of crypto ALUs I have a lot of random archwing mods if people need a starter set so they too can invest too much time in a bad idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Is there any good reason to keep the Sicarus or Kraken once I'm done levelling them for the MR?

Maybe I've just not modded them right but it seems like burst fire pistols loving suck.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

alphabettitouretti posted:

Is there any good reason to keep the Sicarus or Kraken once I'm done levelling them for the MR?

Maybe I've just not modded them right but it seems like burst fire pistols loving suck.

You need the kraken to build a kulstar, a pistol that fires cluster grenades.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007

alphabettitouretti posted:

Sicarus has a prime variant (which is good). Kraken is used to make the Kulstar, a pistol that shoots cluster bombs.

edit: welp.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

I don't, like, get Limbo man. I've tried but all I end up doing is dying or being annoying.

I love Nyx though, she owns bones.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I was looking at my arsenal and debating throwing a Catalyst in my Atomos, but then realized I only had 1 and needed to rank up my faction. Are the BPs just that much rarer than the gold potato ones?

Broose
Oct 28, 2007

Levantine posted:

I was looking at my arsenal and debating throwing a Catalyst in my Atomos, but then realized I only had 1 and needed to rank up my faction. Are the BPs just that much rarer than the gold potato ones?

Well, not really. Recently there have been more reactors than catalysts, but it is usually pretty even. But there is like 300 some weapons and only around 100 things to stick a reactor into (numbers I totally just pulled out of my rear end thinking about prime variants and sentinels and pets). So you are always usually going to want to have more catalysts.

Atomos is a REALLY good weapon though. And will provide benefits in killing more things. Rather than something that will require more standing before you get to do anything with it.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Well, Baro has a new Liset.

In Syandana form.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Any of the non Cosmetic stuff particularly notable this time around on Baro? (Other than Sands of Inaros for people who haven't got it) Primed Point Blank seems like a useful mod, if long term crippingly expensive to actually fuse up.

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008
Primed Pistol Gambit and Primed Ravage are both solid for your pistol/shotgun needs, especially the latter now that Arca Plasmor and Corinth exist.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Broose posted:

Well, not really. Recently there have been more reactors than catalysts, but it is usually pretty even. But there is like 300 some weapons and only around 100 things to stick a reactor into (numbers I totally just pulled out of my rear end thinking about prime variants and sentinels and pets). So you are always usually going to want to have more catalysts.

Atomos is a REALLY good weapon though. And will provide benefits in killing more things. Rather than something that will require more standing before you get to do anything with it.

I got a 50% discount last night for my login bonus so I dropped some money on Platinum. If I'm really strapped for them I'll buy them but for now I'm ok. I did use my catalyst for ranking up my standing but it worked out because it got my one of my Fluctus parts. I'm building another from that Invasion yesterday so it's not a total loss.

EDIT: Ok, I've nearly maxed my Nekros Prime and I'm not really sure how I should be playing him. Is there a good primer on that? Not just how to mod him but what niche does he fill? He's good for farming, right? How do I really utilize him?

Levantine fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Feb 23, 2018

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

In general, what sorts of things are worth spending platinum on?

I know I can get platinum by trading with other players (y'know, once I have things that are worth buying), but I'm also enjoying the game enough that I could see myself dropping a few bucks on platinum here and there without feeling too bad about it. What are the sorts of things that I'm not just going to get by playing normally, so I know what's worth the platinum?

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Harrow posted:

In general, what sorts of things are worth spending platinum on?

The Goon Approved Platinum Expenditures® are... in the OP. :v:

Helter Skelter posted:

Helter's guide to spending plat:

Bad Choices, or "Oh god, why would anyone spend real money on this?"
Most Warframes: Mainly these are just way overpriced, and blueprints for all but a few of the frames can be farmed for relatively easily. There are a few frames at 75 plat (~$5), however, which is fairly reasonable.
Weapons: There is never a good reason to spend plat to buy a weapon outright, they are all crazy expensive. Have a little patience, save your money and craft them instead.
Weapon/Warframe Bundles: Discounted bullshit is still bullshit.
Revives: You get 4 free revives per frame you own, per day (resets midnight GMT/8pm Eastern). There's really no good reason to buy them.
Mod/Fusion packs: If you really want mods, play defense/mobile defense/survival mission types. Mod packs are paying for the privilege of mashing your face against the RNG when you have the option of doing it far more efficiently for free.
Credit boosters: Credits are completely trivial to obtain normally. Don't bother.
Credit bundles: Hmm. Spend 90 plat for 30,000 credits (a pittance), or rush through missions for 15 minutes...
Resources/crafting materials: As above, most crafting materials are piss-easy to get by simply playing the game, there's really no good reason to ever spend real money on them.
Rushing builds: Yes, 12/24 hours for weapons and three days for frames feels like a long time to wait for something to cook in the foundry. Seriously though, have a little patience and use the time to harvest more materials for your next crafting project.

OK Choices, or "Only kind of a terrible financial decision!" or "gently caress it, I've been playing this game for 500 hours and have nothing better to do with my money."
Alternate helmets: These show up in alerts from time to time, but I guess if you're super impatient and really must have one, then 75 plat isn't too horrible I guess. Certain alternate weapon skins also fall into this category.
Color palettes and other cosmetic bullshit: Okay, you want to play pretty space ninja dress-up and you don't have anything actually useful to spend plat on, that's cool. 75 plat per color palette may seem a bit steep, but it's not that terrible considering they're permanent unlocks and you can use them on everything. The Classic Saturated palette will serve 95% of your needs and should be your first choice here. The bundles for the palettes are also pretty decent deals (essentially buy two get one free). There are also cosmetic armor bits and scarves and such, same advice applies.
Affinity boosters: Double XP gain has the potential to be very useful for a new player starting out, though in reality mod selection and credits are the major early bottlenecks. Established players will generally want to avoid this and just run XP-dense mission types (defense, mobile defense, survival) instead.
Vauban: Remember how I said you shouldn't buy Warframes with plat? Well, you shouldn't, but if you really must spend money on one, at least make sure it's the one whose blueprints only show up in random alerts and is therefor impossible to grind for.
Loki, Volt, and Excalibur: These are those 75 plat frames mentioned earlier. Excal and Loki aren't too difficult to get normally, and Volt is easy as buying the blueprints in the dojo, but that 75 plat includes a frame slot and a pre-slotted Reactor (a 40 plat value), plus the benefit of not having to potentially grind materials and wait 3+ days on crafting time. So yeah, decent deals if you picked Mag as your starter and you're really impatient.
Forma: Blueprints for these are available rarely as alert/login rewards or (significantly less rarely) as end-of-mission rewards in high level Orokin Tower runs (Survival missions in the Void are a particularly good source). You can also get them pre-built in the market for 20 plat, much like a potato. Unlike potatoes however, these are only useful if you've maxed out a weapon/frame to 30 already and want to switch the polarity on a mod slot, or you want to build one of the clan weapons which require one (or more) as a build component. As such, they should be a low priority for spending real money on (a potato will always be more useful on something that doesn't have one yet), but go ahead and spend the plat if you really need one and somehow can't get anyone together to run void missions with you.

Good Choices, or "How to space ninja on a budget."
Potatoes: aka Orokin Catalysts and Reactors. These double the mod capacity of whatever they're slotted in and, while not strictly essential, are enormously useful. However, once slotted they cannot be removed. So you end up wanting a bunch. You can get blueprints for them via the occasional alert/battle pay, or as a login reward, but both of these events are fairly rare. Purchasing them outright for a very reasonable 20 plat per is a 100% Goon Approved method of spending real money on this game.
:siren:Slots::siren: Weapon and Warframe alike, they are one of the very few things in this game that you cannot get in any other way - if you want more, you have to spend plat on them. Thankfully, at 12 plat for two weapon slots and 20 plat for a single Warframe slot they are an excellent deal. If you're wondering what to spend that 50 plat you started off with on, this is probably it.
Sentinels: Okay, so they're not terribly difficult to craft, even if a blueprint costs 100k credits. 75 plat is also not terribly expensive, and worth it in my eyes for the fact that 40 of that is a potato in both the sentinel and its weapon which you'll probably want eventually anyway. You also get to skip that 24 hour build time and save on crafting resources, which is nice.

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013

xiansi posted:

Look for goons in chat with "+x Hydron, bring corpro", that's basically an offer to get carried as long as you bring the mod - 4 players with that equipped removes all enemy armour, which is kind of a big deal.

If you don't have it, ask for one. And don't feel bad about that, plenty of people have spares, and by giving 'em away they are increasing the pool of players who can contribute - just being there adds to the rewards for everyone.

Make sure you have enough vitality/armour/shields in your frame to not get killed all the time, stay near the defence target if you are having trouble, try to stick around for at least round 20 and you should be able to 0->30 a couple of weapons.

One minor tweak... if you are less than MR 2, don't worry about Corpro. Use that first run to get MR2, then build a clan key, then ask for a welcome bundle in clan chat. Someone will give you a corpro mod + other good stuff.

And, don't feel sheepish about asking for the welcome bundle. Anyone who has been playing for a few months will have 5-50 extra copies of those mods.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

I should probably update that if only because Vauban Prime is a thing, but it's still totally applicable.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Is Loki still 75p now that he's not a starter frame anymore? Mag is at 75p as well.

Also I'd add a few warframes to that list of Okay Choices for saving time & sanity if you don't mind burning the platinum: Harrow, Gara, Nidus, Mesa, Trinity. I'd say in general just don't do it but for the working adult who doesn't have the free time to grind for stupid amounts of hours to get some of these, they aren't bad choices I feel.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Only think I will note is I think these days you can buy Forma in x3 bundles for 35 instead of x1 for 20. But they also come in some relics and stuff, so they are more designed to be farmed than potatoes I think?

Also to newbies : Once you get to Mercury, at the Relay you can Fast Travel to Cephalon Simaris and in a loop around his room are booths where you can practice your MR test if you are worried about failing them. You keep earning towards the next MR anyway though, so don't feel like you have to stop playing if you do fluff something up. Though I think the first three tests are literally "kill some guys with primary/pistol/melee." So maybe not something to worry about either way.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Tylana posted:

Any of the non Cosmetic stuff particularly notable this time around on Baro? (Other than Sands of Inaros for people who haven't got it) Primed Point Blank seems like a useful mod, if long term crippingly expensive to actually fuse up.

Both Prisma weapons are good. The Prisma Gorgon got a strong buff in the recent rework, and the Prisma Obex will probably get buffed too when they rework melee. Prisma Obex is just fun to use anyway, the attack rate is tied with a couple other things for highest in the game.

Chairman Pow!
Apr 23, 2010

gaj70 posted:

And, don't feel sheepish about asking for the welcome bundle. Anyone who has been playing for a few months will have 5-50 extra copies of those mods.

Really this for new players! As someone who was nervous about this when I started, I now am at a point where I can hook new players up with most core mods and its genuinely no big deal. Also, don't hesitate to ask for syndicate mods, and especially Scattered Justice mod for your new Hek

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
I do love Sparring Weapons. No idea if they actually kill anything meaningful. But <3

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

Levantine posted:

IEDIT: Ok, I've nearly maxed my Nekros Prime and I'm not really sure how I should be playing him. Is there a good primer on that? Not just how to mod him but what niche does he fill? He's good for farming, right? How do I really utilize him?

He's best for farming. Turn on your farm skill and just run around really. Depending on how you build him he can also be really tanky using his ult augment. The only thing you have to watch out for is your damage reduction comes from being within a certain distance of your zombie ghosts. So you either want to hang out in the area of an immobile objective or be prepared to recast your ult to summon all your dudes to you when you're going to get hit.

One thing of note with nekros's ult, the cast time is significantly shorter if you're just recasting it to refill their health and not summoning any new ones. But it can be good to let your ghosts die every once in a while so you can summon more recent higher level dudes you've killed.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Tylana posted:

I do love Sparring Weapons. No idea if they actually kill anything meaningful. But <3

Ever repolarize the stance to use Grim Fury? You can build up your combo counter in no time, and pull off the back+attack move at any speed.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Edmond Dantes posted:

The Goon Approved Platinum Expenditures® are... in the OP. :v:

Until now I've been so good about not asking questions that are answered in the OP, too :eng99:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

this is a good as gently caress baro haul and you all need to get in on it if you're able. primed ravage, point blank and pistol gambit are choice, the prisma gorgon is loving crazy especially after this recent balance patch and there's a good assortment of cosmetic stuff.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Oh poo poo this is the Baro that the bot was predicting 2 weeks ago

Goodbye ducats

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Orthodox Rabbit posted:

He's best for farming. Turn on your farm skill and just run around really. Depending on how you build him he can also be really tanky using his ult augment. The only thing you have to watch out for is your damage reduction comes from being within a certain distance of your zombie ghosts. So you either want to hang out in the area of an immobile objective or be prepared to recast your ult to summon all your dudes to you when you're going to get hit.

One thing of note with nekros's ult, the cast time is significantly shorter if you're just recasting it to refill their health and not summoning any new ones. But it can be good to let your ghosts die every once in a while so you can summon more recent higher level dudes you've killed.

How does the farming thing work, that's just 3, right? Sometimes when I cast it I run out of energy almost immediately and sometimes I don't all.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Levantine posted:

How does the farming thing work, that's just 3, right? Sometimes when I cast it I run out of energy almost immediately and sometimes I don't all.

Desecrate costs 10 Energy for each corpse consumed. You can reduce this with energy efficiency mods, and/or use the Despoil augment to consume health instead of energy. This isn't as dangerous as it sounds, since Desecrate will cause many more health orbs to spawn than normal.

You're gonna raise range and efficiency, take a weapon that cuts enemies apart, (since an enemy corpse that's been cut in two will be Desecrated twice,) and hang out where the most enemies are dying.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

aegof posted:

Desecrate costs 10 Energy for each corpse consumed. You can reduce this with energy efficiency mods, and/or use the Despoil augment to consume health instead of energy. This isn't as dangerous as it sounds, since Desecrate will cause many more health orbs to spawn than normal.

You're gonna raise range and efficiency, take a weapon that cuts enemies apart, (since an enemy corpse that's been cut in two will be Desecrated twice,) and hang out where the most enemies are dying.

Ah-ha! Ok, that's what I'm missing. I don't have the Despoil augment. That's why I wasn't understanding why it wasn't working the way I expected. I just need to get some more mods, basically.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I could never get Nekros to be the true farming master until I got Despoil, so consider it sort of a preview on how-to-Nekros while your 3 drains energy instead of health. Once you get that and max it, you're set. High-slash weapons are ideal for getting double loot, and closet camping on whatever planet will give you thousands of resources. Maximizing range helps a lot too.

Combine with tentacle pirate and you can get some really dumb loot output. By dumb I mean amazing. I've mentioned this before but during the hema grind we did an ODD with two pilfering swarms hydroids and a nekros and wow, I have never seen so much loot.

Levantine posted:

Ah-ha! Ok, that's what I'm missing. I don't have the Despoil augment.

Red Veil and Perrin Sequence, so somebody can hook you up. Maybe me, if I can grind up more red veil tonight.

Psion fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Feb 23, 2018

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

i was dreading baro would actually be good this weekend when i dont have that much time to play

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Berke Negri posted:

i was dreading baro would actually be good this weekend when i dont have that much time to play

Same here, I have like no ducats.

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp
I was about to ask how my damaged Flow mod has better stats than my non-damaged one, but then I realized that damaged status doesn't just influence the stat, but also how often you can upgrade the thing. Another thing learned.

e: On that note, are damaged mods worth keeping in any shape or form or should I just toss them for Endo?

Ritznit fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Feb 23, 2018

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

I have a collection of damaged mods from trading with friends and newbies back when you could actually trade them. I keep them for novelty purposes.

If you're not a weird space hoarder like me, endo them.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I'm a terrible space hoarder. I should check how much endo I'd get for scrapping all of my extra mods.

I also hoard ayatan statues/stars, but that's just because I find it tedious to fill them and trade them in.

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp

Elysiume posted:

I also hoard ayatan statues/stars, but that's just because I find it tedious to fill them and trade them in.

Oh, I've been wondering what those do. What do you mean by "filling in"?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Jamming stars in them.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Ritznit posted:

Oh, I've been wondering what those do. What do you mean by "filling in"?
Ayatan statues, when found, are empty/unpowered. You can separately find cyan and amber ayatan stars, which power ayatan statues. Different statues require different amounts and combinations of cyan and ayatan stars, with more valuable statues requiring more. As you fill in a statue, it starts to animate like a kinetic sculpture, and becomes worth more endo. A filled statue is worth more than the sum of its parts, so if you want to trade them in for endo, that's the route to go.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
To clarify. Go to your Mod Station. Click on the big Ayatan Sculptures button on the right of the fuse/transmute/sell row.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Oh my god they have had endless Kuva Missions in Kuva Fortress that they just forgot to merge. That's uh lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp

Elysiume posted:

Ayatan statues, when found, are empty/unpowered. You can separately find cyan and amber ayatan stars, which power ayatan statues. Different statues require different amounts and combinations of cyan and ayatan stars, with more valuable statues requiring more. As you fill in a statue, it starts to animate like a kinetic sculpture, and becomes worth more endo. A filled statue is worth more than the sum of its parts, so if you want to trade them in for endo, that's the route to go.

Tylana posted:

To clarify. Go to your Mod Station. Click on the big Ayatan Sculptures button on the right of the fuse/transmute/sell row.

Got it, thank you very much. There are so many drat collectibles in this game that I still get really confused half the time I find something. Thanks for the patience.