Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Got a simple question for folks.

If you get raided by pirates/raiders are they able to steal your stockpiled food/energy/minerals or just blow stuff up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

Torrannor posted:

You can't upgrade gene clinics or whatever they are called in habitats as well.

That's been around for a while. I find them kind of debatable value a lot of the time since the planet/hab is mostly full then anyways. I feel like they'd be more useful if they could be upgraded with just the standard Planetary Admin.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

So, the only way to expand your boards now is to claim systems using outposts, right?

And every system adds 2% to research costs... hmm. So is there any reason to claim systems with few/no resources other than to prevent pirates spawning there?

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Doomsday weapons amirite? :v:

exiting to menu and reloading fixed it

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

darnon posted:

That's been around for a while. I find them kind of debatable value a lot of the time since the planet/hab is mostly full then anyways. I feel like they'd be more useful if they could be upgraded with just the standard Planetary Admin.

I think they still have some value between the unity and the growth when you colonize new worlds and your pops migrate away from the full systems.

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

Skippy McPants posted:

So, the only way to expand your boards now is to claim systems using outposts, right?

And every system adds 2% to research costs... hmm. So is there any reason to claim systems with few/no resources other than to prevent pirates spawning there?

The absolute most important reason to claim systems is to make your borders look pretty. All other reasons are secondary.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I had a star tribe say they were coming over to raid me. I was terrified because I've seen individual fleets of theirs in the 6-10k range, and my fleet is only 3.7k. Then a bunch of time passed, they said they were done raiding and went home. I never saw their fleet.

Maybe they got distracted enroute, but it'd be cool if there was unique dialogue for that.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Yup same thing just happened to me. I wonder if they couldn't get through my neighbors borders?

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Gort posted:

I had a star tribe say they were coming over to raid me. I was terrified because I've seen individual fleets of theirs in the 6-10k range, and my fleet is only 3.7k. Then a bunch of time passed, they said they were done raiding and went home. I never saw their fleet.

Maybe they got distracted enroute, but it'd be cool if there was unique dialogue for that.

I had one star tribe say they were going to raid me.

Shortly after I got a message saying that their raiding fleet had been destroyed and the raid was off.

When I zoomed to the site of the event, it bought me to the territory of ANOTHER star tribe. Apparently the first star tribe tried to route their raid through the territory of the second, and they disagreed with each other.

axeil posted:

Got a simple question for folks.

If you get raided by pirates/raiders are they able to steal your stockpiled food/energy/minerals or just blow stuff up?

Yeah, they can steal resources and enslave pops. It's a bit of a bitch.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Hey so the Galactic Nomads decided to set up shop on one of my planets. That's pretty cool, but as soon as they did, their new empire got absorbed into mine. I think that's cool, but it did give me a real dire message about how their nascent empire had been wiped from the galaxy. That seems a little extreme for my new bird buddies, who all seemed more or less stoked to be a member of the space dragon empire.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Spanish Matlock posted:

Hey so the Galactic Nomads decided to set up shop on one of my planets. That's pretty cool, but as soon as they did, their new empire got absorbed into mine. I think that's cool, but it did give me a real dire message about how their nascent empire had been wiped from the galaxy. That seems a little extreme for my new bird buddies, who all seemed more or less stoked to be a member of the space dragon empire.

The best is when the new empire rolls fanatic purifiers.

Gee wonder why you got kicked out of the fleet.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Skippy McPants posted:

the system's position could make it useful, i've grabbed a couple crappy systems purely because it cuts off a neighbor from expanding in a direction that i might want to expand towards later

stuff like that or really obvious chokepoints where you can plop down an upgraded starbase + stations and know an enemy would have to go through to get to your more vulnerable areas

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

I wish I could draw/write notes on the galaxy map.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Isn’t there a way to rename systems?

Also how is everyone using starbases? The economy possible on one looks pretty solid, I had a colony in a nebula and built trading posts and the mineral building. 24 energy and 6 minerals didn’t seem half bad, though not particularly efficient from a minerals standpoint.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Wiz posted:

This is either a straight up lie or you haven't found the 'Defenses' tab yet.

EDIT: Hell, even without defensive platforms a Citadel with all turrets will be significantly more than 12k. I honestly think you're just making poo poo up.

I played for about six hours yesterday, and somehow hadn't found the "Defenses" tab

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

The penalties for settling planets feel a little harsh. I feel as though I should be rushing to colonize every planet I can in a 4X game, not cringing slightly whenever I built a colony ship. I know it's probably good in the long run but ugh it doesn't feel good at all.

I feel I'm doing all right though despite blobbing pretty hard in my current game, I'm superior in tech to my immediate neighbors and nobody I've managed to contact throughout my huge galaxy so far is superior (except the FE obviously). Part of that may be Fanatic Materialist though. Also Corporate Dominion still rocks, set up a few Trade Hub stations and you have all the energy you could ever want, to spend on edicts/private colony ships/leaders/etc.. Influence is something of a bitch though and is my main barrier to expansion at this point, especially since I want to build a few research-dedicated habitats.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Magil Zeal posted:

The penalties for settling planets feel a little harsh. I feel as though I should be rushing to colonize every planet I can in a 4X game, not cringing slightly whenever I built a colony ship. I know it's probably good in the long run but ugh it doesn't feel good at all.

It feels like each colony is a much more serious investment, at least in the beginning. I kinda like it, for the moment at least.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

Also how is everyone using starbases? The economy possible on one looks pretty solid, I had a colony in a nebula and built trading posts and the mineral building. 24 energy and 6 minerals didn’t seem half bad, though not particularly efficient from a minerals standpoint.

I originally used mine to make a Great Wall of Starbases sealing off my nearest rival from any avenue of expansion, but that's gotten real expensive and at any rate I've expanded to the point where he isn't really a threat anymore.

That's the thing about starbases, really, making a series of starbases to block off chokepoints is cool in theory, but in practice there's a shitload of potential chokepoints and it's bloody expensive making them all big enough to hold off an enemy fleet.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

It feels like each colony is a much more serious investment, at least in the beginning. I kinda like it, for the moment at least.

yeah in the abstract i like it but it feels like it'll take some time to readjust; my first 2.0 game i've only gotten 2 systems with planets within my borders about 20 years in and my instincts are telling me this is a problem and should reroll if i don't find more planets soon

but when i think about it and look at comparisons to neighbors tech or fleet power or my big surplus of energy it doesn't seem to be that big a problem atm

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Tomn posted:

I originally used mine to make a Great Wall of Starbases sealing off my nearest rival from any avenue of expansion, but that's gotten real expensive and at any rate I've expanded to the point where he isn't really a threat anymore.

That's the thing about starbases, really, making a series of starbases to block off chokepoints is cool in theory, but in practice there's a shitload of potential chokepoints and it's bloody expensive making them all big enough to hold off an enemy fleet.

People on the subreddit were suggesting that you set the hyperlane density to 0.75 to encourage more chokepoints.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Can mauraders go through wormholes which require researching wormhole travel?

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

so the pacing of this patch/expansion is radically different from 1.9 and feels a lot slower.

the larger you get, the slower expansion feels because of the influence cost is kind of a hard cap. in the previous patch, the larger you got, didn't really affect how fast you could blob because of the influence cost per colony mixed with the amorphous borders comes out to much less of influence cost per system.

i'm just doing a primitives + fallen empire game to mess around in and i'm almost 100 years in and i barely have 1/8 of the galaxy. this is with me expanding as fast as possible.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Am I imagining things or weren't there supposed to be settings for various fleet combat doctrines and ways to set a fleet to automatically roll around and take out pirates/raiders? I can't find anything of the sort.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Gonna start a new game when I get back home tonight. Now that I've read up a bit on the increased significance of colonies on research costs and the even greater importance placed on having up to date fleets, maybe I can do better. I grabbed way too many systems in my first game since there was nobody to stop me from destroying myself with pirates and starvation. :v:

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

It does make small planets a lot less attractive than they already were though (which I have never liked very much). I've been trying out the new Mastery of Nature and can't say I'm impressed as of yet. The 100 Influence cost of the edict is killer, Influence is precious and hard to accumulate. Got more use out of the tile-clearing discount early on but now I'm rolling in energy and basically any energy cost is irrelevant.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

Am I imagining things or weren't there supposed to be settings for various fleet combat doctrines and ways to set a fleet to automatically roll around and take out pirates/raiders? I can't find anything of the sort.

The combat doctrines are the finisher for the Supremacy tradition tree.

Not sure about the automatically rolling around thing, though, that sounds like your imagination.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

the war doctrines are unlocked in one of the tradition paths

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Stupid question but is there a way to bind the fleet manager to one of the F-keys instead of one of the default menus?

Or is there a shortcut to it in general?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

hobbesmaster posted:

Rename the star. The system name is just the stars name. It will auto rename all the planets too.

That's how I name things. If I want a planet called Neo Tokyo I don't call the planet Neo Tokyo, I call the star that, and the planet name changes appropriately (Neo Tokyo IV). That way I always know which planet is in which system.

Fintilgin fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Feb 23, 2018

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I've encountered a pretty nasty bug that I cannot resolve (yes, I did submit a bug report to paradox, I just want to share this here, too). I cannot play the game because starbases won't build. The construction ship uses the resources and goes through the motions but nothing actually happens at the end, aside from the tooltip saying this system is now mine. It isn't though, because my territory doesn't expand on the map and I can't build mining stations. Also, the game just lets me keep "building" new starbases that never appear. I tried restarting Stellaris, restarting Steam, starting a new game with on of the stock species (Human) but the error keeps happening.

The only thing that does appear is this, which disappears once "construction" is finished.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

^^^ have steam check your install integrity and disable all mods? That looks like a generic “can’t load” object so your instal might be hosed

Magil Zeal posted:

It does make small planets a lot less attractive than they already were though (which I have never liked very much). I've been trying out the new Mastery of Nature and can't say I'm impressed as of yet. The 100 Influence cost of the edict is killer, Influence is precious and hard to accumulate. Got more use out of the tile-clearing discount early on but now I'm rolling in energy and basically any energy cost is irrelevant.

Agreeing about mastery of nature. It needs to give 3 tiles all the way up to size 20 or something. (Maybe even 22)

Kinda disappointed I only got 1 tile on my capital.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

I love the fleet manager but I keep running into a possible bug where my destroyers will seem to "forget" what design they are when I update the design in the ship designer so in my fleets they become 10/0 meaning they are not recognized as part of the fleet design. I'm not renaming the design and it just seems to happen to the destroyers. Am I doing something wrong?

Pulling them out of the fleet and putting them back in sometimes fixes it. Other times they get stuck like that.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Hit the upgrade button, you have 0 destroyers matching the new design so 0 is “correct”.

I agree that this part of the fleet designer is really confusing.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

Hit the upgrade button, you have 0 destroyers matching the new design so 0 is “correct”.

I agree that this part of the fleet designer is really confusing.

I did, upgrading them is what broke them. Once the upgrade is complete they stop being recognized as part of the fleet design. Sorry, wasn't clear that I was updating + upgrading them.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Space Skeleton posted:

I love the fleet manager but I keep running into a possible bug where my destroyers will seem to "forget" what design they are when I update the design in the ship designer so in my fleets they become 10/0 meaning they are not recognized as part of the fleet design. I'm not renaming the design and it just seems to happen to the destroyers. Am I doing something wrong?

Pulling them out of the fleet and putting them back in sometimes fixes it. Other times they get stuck like that.

No, I got that bug too. You can 'retrofit' the design to change it to the actual design, which appears to fix it.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

^^ that was it

Oh I read that backwards, sorry. I saw that too last night but it seemed to resolve itself somehow? Maybe it was the reinforcement button?

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
The raiders are just super annoying. They zip around with very fast fleets destroying everything in their wake. Their fleet power is very high compared to the empires. I was highest in fleet power in early midgame and still my combined fleet was 2000 fleet power under one of their raiding fleets. Tried to buid defensive starholds to keep them occupied, but they had two entryways into my empire, and I couldn't keep my fleet on both. And wierdly they seemed to go for the one my fleet were not at. Almost as they use their sensors. Or it might be random. The fully upgraded defensive base I had died in seconds without a fleet there. I am sure in late game it will be more manageable, but mid game it felt like a waste to build mining stations in a large radius around the raiders, because they just seemed to regularly move around in differents paths destroying everything. I felt I have spent the last 3 hours just rebuilding mining stations. All in all I think I will turn them off in next game. Hope that is possible.

Hryme fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Feb 23, 2018

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I really don't understand why outposts should impact unity or research. I can see starbases, sure, but the interstellar equivalent of a flag shouldn't have a negative impact on research or how unified everyone feels. Especially since the outpost is actually increasing coherence when it's between two other systems.

Plus my borders.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Soup du Jour posted:

Wiz I just encountered my first empire, they’re neighbors, and they are the exactly the same color as me. For the love of god

e: what the gently caress they’re Life-Seeded too

Way back when this game first came out, I played with three friends, two of whom are identical twins. We all, independently, chose to be red. The brothers also chose THE SAME FACTION SYMBOL, and swore they hadn't planned it. It was funny early on, but it got impossible by the end, when each of us was a quarter of the galaxy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

hobbesmaster posted:

^^^ have steam check your install integrity and disable all mods? That looks like a generic “can’t load” object so your instal might be hosed

No mods. I verified the install integrity and Steam says it's all okay.

The bug still occurs.