Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grogquock
May 2, 2009

Main Paineframe posted:

If it we're just Carnymancy, it'd be okay. It's not like Jojo has done much of anything. The problem is that Charlie also has the Arkendish, which so far has exhibited more bullshit powers than all the other known Arkentools combined, and can easily mix those powers with his Carnymancy and his infinite juice (courtesy of his rigged portal) to just break whatever he wants.

Let's look at how many rules he broke in just the last few pages. He Thinkagrammed Bill (an Arkendish power) without Bill having to stop and concentrate on it, and without Bill showing any sign of paying attention to it - which he described as a unique Arkendish power, and one that he hadn't previously revealed. Not only did he link with Bill without physical contact (another Arkendish-only cheat), but he linked and unlinked with no apparent side effects on Bill's end, an ability that he hadn't previously revealed. Using those links, he rigged Caesar's pendant and turned all of Bill's dolls, and both tricks were implied to involve Carnymancy. For a while, it seemed like he was listening in on Transylvito's bats by eavesdropping on Bunny's Thinkamancy-snooping, but Bunny's long gone and he's still listening in on every bat in Transylvito's capital, so apparently that's yet another Arkendish power. He's apparently able to see through Bill's eyes (or goggles) too, somehow. This update revealed that the Arkendish has a "clock speed" and can "overclock" to allow him to insta-magic or something, as if it wasn't powerful enough already. And of course, Rob has been ever more insistently teasing the idea that the Arkendish can see outside of the universe. Oh, wait, I almost forgot about the rifles, everyone's favorite instakill weapon which can only be made with a Carnymancy link.

That's not even a full listing of the Arkendish's powers - that's just what Charlie has done since Parson cast the scroll. It doesn't include, for example, the Thinkagram eavesdropping. Or the ability to pop Archons, or the "affinity with natural allies", or the Gardening channel.

By comparison, all the Arkenhammer can do is tame dwagons, shoot lightning, and occasionally turn walnuts into birds. That's it. That's its entire list of known powers so far. The gap between Charlie's Bullshitmancy and the other Arkentools is enormous right now, and he pulls a new superpower out of his back pocket every few pages.

This is a very good write up.

On the Arkenhammer, I wonder if it is truly attuned. Its definitely a piece of garbage compared to everything else. Oh here are these powerful but very mortal units you can tame but gotta pay upkeep for. But you have to find them first and they are rare. Oh it also gives sweet combat bonuses but you have to risk it on the front line to use that. I'm betting in the hands of some kinda CASTER with MAGIC which is SO loving IMPORTANT 90% of the comic now revolves around magic shenanigans, maybe a DOLLMANCER, suddenly it will be converting anything into anything, ala the walnut transmutation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

John_A_Tallon posted:

If you got store credit sitting around on your Erfworld account, now's probably a good time to spend it and at least get something for it. Lest you anger Rob in one way or another and he just delete your account.

I guess the real advice here is...

... Don't be a Tool. :smugdog:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Yeah, think I'm in the same boat. Time to come back in a year and see how bad he hosed himself over.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!
This is the last reddit post I'll quote here for awhile unless there's something really funny that happens next. Although this is a pretty lulzy post by Rob Balder.

PartyRob on Reddit posted:

Posted in https://www.reddit.com/r/erfworld/comments/7z0oz7/so_it_seems_i_was_banned_from_erfworldcom/dumm2nc/

Two.

Two users banned. This guy and DrAtkins. They were the first user bans of 2018, the first since May of 2017, which I posted about at the time.

Because of these posts, they've been banned from the subreddit, too. I am not deleting this thread. I appreciate the thought and the sensitivity behind some of the other discussion here, and wouldn't want it to be lost.

Also? Three.

Three comments deleted on the news post, two of which were by these two saying "I quit Erfworld." The other was a sock puppet.

Protip: sending me an email saying "I am quitting Erfworld" will not get you banned. Saying it on Twitter won't either. Saying it on Facebook may get you kicked out of the FB group. Saying it here may get you banned from posting here.

Saying it on Erfworld, especially in a way that's designed to cause the most harm you possibly can, will make me say, "Well, then you won't be needing this account any more, will you? kbai"

I have contacted DrAtkins about the situation personally, and his Shmuckers will be honored as store credit, if he ever wants to buy something. He also submitted six disputes with PayPal for his last six subscription payments. We will refund that money. PseudoY had 12 Shmuckers, and those would be honored too. Neither person is welcome in our channels, though, for reasons I think should be stone cold obvious.

I have spent my entire productive day so far dealing with this. Why? Not because it was important.

It's because Dr. Atkins was making it clear that if he couldn't flick matches at our house, he would set fire to anything that even might burn us. Besides the Paypal thing, he's tweeted at Rich Burlew and the guy who made Hiveswap (whose response was hilarious) and others. He's trading "Rob Balder's an rear end in a top hat" stories with the other banned dude on other subreddits. Who knows what else, where else? GitP, probably. I didn't look. I don't go looking for these things. I don't have time for social media. I can't even watch a hockey game anymore. Red and John and Linda and Brendan have been tugging my sleeve going "he did another one, check Twitter." So I canceled a three-hour writing block to just deal with Crypto-no Bill and the Battle of Wounded Me.

I'm sure he will write up a long rebuttal to this and post it somewhere, and the other guy will too. IDGAF. I have a pinup post to make. I need to say things about Mine4erf (like we've got record people mining and we're closing in on the halfway mark) and update the Miner FAQ. I want to Retconjure the current page to put in the layer for floor tiles that got left off. Xin and Lillian need feedback.

Instead, I did this garbage, including this post right now. But idk maybe it will encourage the people who use this subreddit for something other than haterade. I value your posts and comments a lot, and I do read this subreddit when I can.

I can't count up the cost to Erfworld of my spending today like this. Pretty sure it's above DrAtkins' and PseudoY's combined lifetime contributions to this comic and its community, though.

If I die tomorrow, there is one less page of this universe ever.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

John_A_Tallon posted:

Wow

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
If this guy was actually going around to random industry people to tell them Balder is a jerk, Balder was honestly right to ban him.

That doesn't make cryptocurrency less dumb, but you don't have to let people cast Dirtamancy in your swimming pool just because it's there.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
The whole "woe is me, I couldn't write Erfworld today because some random nobody tweeted at my fellow webcomic creators" schtick is pretty eyebrow-raising, though, especially when coupled with the open admission that expressing negative feedback on any platform Rob controls will get you banned from said platform.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

He's reminding me a lot of Chris Roberts. Quick, give him millions to make Erfworld a real game.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Balder is now yelling at me on twitter, incredible

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Rand Brittain posted:

If this guy was actually going around to random industry people to tell them Balder is a jerk, Balder was honestly right to ban him.

That doesn't make cryptocurrency less dumb, but you don't have to let people cast Dirtamancy in your swimming pool just because it's there.

It sounds like he did that after getting banned, and presumably because of it. Which really makes it seem like Balder doesn't understand how his own actions led to spending a day dealing with this poo poo.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

That is definitely one of the douchier and more self-important screeds I've read recently.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Reene posted:

Balder is now yelling at me on twitter, incredible
Would it be worth using a Cio generator to create your responses?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I like how Erfworld's buttcoin debacle got even worse since the announcement. :allears:

Erev
Jun 9, 2013
I'm feeling the 'come back much later' vibe as well. The wandering story and missed updates were annoying. Seeing time go into crypto farming when he'd make plenty of cash doing his job hasn't helped. The bans I find frankly unacceptable.

On the bright side it'll mean that I am 100% free from checking webcomics for updates (down from like six several years ago). When I come back to check in a few months maybe there will be enough material that this months-long turn will have finally ended....

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I like the comic, but drat Rob Balder seems like a jerk with no sense of perspective. A long whiny screed about how much time two users made him waste because he banned them for disagreeing with him, coupled with this self-righteous accusation that by disagreeing with him and forcing him to ban them they have wasted his time and thus stolen Great Art from the universe, is not a good look.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

John_A_Tallon posted:

beyond parody

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

Man this nonsense is more entertaining than the comic has been for years.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Erev posted:

On the bright side it'll mean that I am 100% free from checking webcomics for updates (down from like six several years ago). When I come back to check in a few months maybe there will be enough material that this months-long turn will have finally ended....

I figure in a couple of years time I might even have another panel of Dresden Codak to read. If I'm lucky.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
gently caress, I may skip the comic and just read this thread from now on.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

If this thread turns into another negativity festival, I'm just going to close it. One SFP thread is enough.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Rand Brittain posted:

If this thread turns into another negativity festival, I'm just going to close it. One SFP thread is enough.

And then no one else will be able to make a new one?

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Rand Brittain posted:

Rob, is that you?

For real though, that won't accomplish anything. When a creator has a huge, public meltdown like this people will to talk about it, especially if you try to suppress their ability to do so (as this whole banning kerfuffle demonstrates). It doesn't help that there frankly isn't much else going on with ErfWorld right now, what with the glacial plot progression, unnecessary tangent pages and frequent missed updates. If you can't stand the negativity then maybe just check out of the thread for a bit, because if you try to take your ball and go home someone else will just create a new thread and all you'll have done is push it further in the direction of being a dedicated mock thread.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

For real though, that won't accomplish anything. When a creator has a huge, public meltdown like this people will to talk about it, especially if you try to suppress their ability to do so (as this whole banning kerfuffle demonstrates). It doesn't help that there frankly isn't much else going on with ErfWorld right now, what with the glacial plot progression, unnecessary tangent pages and frequent missed updates. If you can't stand the negativity then maybe just check out of the thread for a bit, because if you try to take your ball and go home someone else will just create a new thread and all you'll have done is push it further in the direction of being a dedicated mock thread.

I mean, people kept saying somebody should start a new Erfworld thread for a long time before somebody finally did, but you are probably right.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
People keep SAYING that someone should when it's merely the case that someone should, if you close the thread it becomes the case that someone HAS TO, and then someone will.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

So what is the deal with the cryptomining? Does it kick in every time you load up erfworld.com now? Does it go away as soon as you kill the tab?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

No, you have to deliberately install the app.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Phenotype posted:

So what is the deal with the cryptomining? Does it kick in every time you load up erfworld.com now? Does it go away as soon as you kill the tab?

No, it's entirely voluntary. It's a separate program you can download discretionarily.

It's a little weird, but it's not that bad. I think his response to criticism of the project is the actual objectionable element here. He seems to be attempting to do the whole mining thing in a responsible way - it's something users can choose to do if they want, and they get rewarded with store credit and a cosmetic minigame.

That by itself seems fine. The, "if you criticise me and force me to ban you and erase your criticism, you are robbing the universe of my artistic genius by wasting my time," thing, though...

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Android Blues posted:

No, it's entirely voluntary. It's a separate program you can download discretionarily.

It's a little weird, but it's not that bad. I think his response to criticism of the project is the actual objectionable element here. He seems to be attempting to do the whole mining thing in a responsible way - it's something users can choose to do if they want, and they get rewarded with store credit and a cosmetic minigame.

That by itself seems fine. The, "if you criticise me and force me to ban you and erase your criticism, you are robbing the universe of my artistic genius by wasting my time," thing, though...

Oh well poo poo, that hardly seems like anything worth getting upset over. It sounds like its basically just another way to donate, then. In that case, both the "moral stance" objections and the ridiculous madposts and bannings from the author are even more stupid than typical internet slapfights.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

The objections were more about the hilarious wastefulness of Bitcoin in general (for $8 in electricity and 0.01% of your graphics card's lifespan, you can donate $11! Assuming the price of cryptocurrency stays stable!) and the weird slot-machine reward system (you earn "spins" which have a small chance of producing "gems" which you can trade to other players for their store credit), than the particular mining implementation.

The marriage of a cryptocurrency scheme AND freemium game mechanics, all for a webcomic, is a recipe for objections and/or laughter.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Feb 23, 2018

Erev
Jun 9, 2013
The reason the crypto bit annoys me is that he's been working on that boondoggle when he already can't get pages out on time. If he'd just focus on not missing updates he'd probably make more than he will from this cryptomining venture.

The fact that he then whined about his wasted art and 'creative genious' when he banned people just made it more annoying.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I mean, he's not wrong when he says that the whole episode was a waste of his time, which he already doesn't have enough of to hit every update.

He was wrong about thinking he could say that on the internet without being mocked, but the content of the speech is all true.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

He wasted his own time. There was no obligation for him to spend time banning users who thought his idea was dumb, obsessively following their social media presence, and then posting a lengthy screed about how he has dealt with the undesirables, who of course were useless leeches on him anyway.

The users he banned weren't doing anything to him except disagreeing. It was Balder himself who turned it into a whole production. This makes his claim of wasted creative genius time even more ludicrously pompous.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Also one of the banned guys was a patron with a bunch of store credit that got revoked without warning, so it kind of puts a tarnish on the whole, "Erfworld community funding this comic together!" thing. If you ban a long-time supporter for voicing disagreement with a new element of your business model, then the whole friendly community thing is really just so much marketing spin.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Well, Skyy Appletini seems fun, anyway.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
The whole exchange just feels manufactured to dribble little bits of mechanics info for the people who desperately want to know more mechanics. It also does nothing to progress the plot, unless some offhand mechanics reference buried in the wall of text is suddenly Chekov's Gun. Basically another page of "things we already know but from someone else's perspective". :shrug:

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I mean, it also brings Skyy into play as a character who's going to do things (in particular, shoot any Gobwin Knob unit she happens to see), as opposed to just being a "oh yeah TV has units who aren't Caesar, Vinny, and Benjamin" background mob.

It's also vaguely interesting that there's a ranking system based on Noble rank, and it triggers duty, but not actually enough that units necessarily have to obey orders if they don't think they ought to.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Rand Brittain posted:

I mean, it also brings Skyy into play as a character who's going to do things (in particular, shoot any Gobwin Knob unit she happens to see), as opposed to just being a "oh yeah TV has units who aren't Caesar, Vinny, and Benjamin" background mob.

It's also vaguely interesting that there's a ranking system based on Noble rank, and it triggers duty, but not actually enough that units necessarily have to obey orders if they don't think they ought to.

Skyy has been around for a while. I'm not sure if we were given her name before, but she's been manning the Generic Translyvito Warlord post and making vaguely snide remarks about whatever she happened to be guarding ever since Parson arrived.

Really, the entire point of this page was just to make extra-super-double clear (as usual) that it was in no way the fault of the Very Smart Person (Charlie) that they or someone under their command did a dumb thing, and to emphasize yet again that rifles are so incredibly powerful that any unit that doesn't have one literally doesn't matter because a single rifle-user can just mow down overwhelming odds. Other than that, it's just reiterating "Skyy Appletini is using the guns to shoot the molls", which was already covered over the last two pages, and spelling out a bunch of rules that aren't even particularly relevant right now.

And I'm sure that before Skyy reaches the portal room, we're going to get yet another extended sidetrack dealing with the Makaleka, which already had ties to Maggie, Bill, Transylvito the side, Gobwin Knob, and Jeb. Now that Charlie, Shirley, and Temple Transylvito are all tied up in that mix too, I'm sure that particular bit of drama will take a good month to sort out.

Main Paineframe fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Feb 24, 2018

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Main Paineframe posted:

Really, the entire point of this page was just to make extra-super-double clear (as usual) that it was in no way the fault of the Very Smart Person (Charlie) that they or someone under their command did a dumb thing,

The whole point of this comic is that the plans of Very Smart People are pointless if they don't account for the feelings of the people who actually have to execute the plan. Charlie decided to work with Bill; it's his fault if the plan fails because Bill is flexural.

quote:

and to emphasize yet again that rifles are so incredibly powerful that any unit that doesn't have one literally doesn't matter because a single rifle-user can just mow down overwhelming odds.

There aren't overwhelming odds; the molls can't actually harm Skyy without triggering treaty penalties.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Rand Brittain posted:

There aren't overwhelming odds; the molls can't actually harm Skyy without triggering treaty penalties.

These molls were being ordered around by Bill, though, who was sending Charlie messages like "Getting the rifle back has got to be worth a few treaty penalties," so they were almost certainly trying to kill the two warlords.

I dunno, I liked this update. I'm still of the mind that Balder's issue with plotting is a real thing, but seems much worse than it really is because of the nature of webcomic updates (and skipping webcomic updates) and how frustrating it is to get trickles of story every week that don't progress anything. Like, whenever Erfworld is finished and you can sit down and read the whole thing at your own pace, I think this section will definitely be dragging a little bit but not nearly as bad as people are complaining now. This update was good because it actually DOES threaten plot movement -- these two are actually reacting to Charlie and Bill's attempted coup and might show up in the next few pages with an incredibly powerful weapon to save Caesar or at least gently caress something up spectacularly. And we get a little bit of worldbuilding too, sure.

Feel free to call me an idiot if these two are unceremoniously blown up offscreen in the next few pages instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

I like to gripe about the comic/Balder, but this page was inoffensive. It wasn't the greatest one ever that gave the plot an explosive kick, but it was ok.