Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Lol, my sister was basically told those exact words when she told her OBGYN she wanted to start having kids at 34.

I'm also assuming that this 33 year old wouldn't meet a lady and give birth to a baby 24 hours later. They'd probably date 1-2 years, plan a wedding 1 year in the future, enjoy married life for maybe 1 year, and bam the 33 year old he met the day he started looking is now 37 when they decide to have kids.

"High risk geriatric pregnancy" is not fun

OMG, WTF 37 year olds can have perfectly heathly Downs babies.

I don't think it's even a situation where Wooderson there wants to put babies in that girl's belly. Just that the parents have no idea if he had the kid accidentally or not and they probably don't want to be grandparents yet. At the very least he's far more mature relationship-wise and what can he see in an experienced 21 year old with zero life experiences who should probably be dating other 21 year olds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

you don't give birth to a child the day you meet your partner, though.

Sure. But pregnancies aren't considered high-risk until the late 30s. Even then, I think it's a bit absurd to argue that men in their 30s should specifically date women 10+ years younger for child-rearing purposes. Yes, age is one consideration (for both sexes) if you are specifically looking to have children in a relationship. But there's not any indication in the Reddit post that children were at all contemplated in the whole scenario, so it comes across as an odd and Redpillish point to argue.

Adults can date other adults, but I am absolutely going to judge some 33 y/o guy for convincing a 21 y/o college girl to leave her family and follow him into the glorious sunset of /r/UTSwingers.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Vox Nihili posted:

Sure. But pregnancies aren't considered high-risk until the late 30s. Even then, I think it's a bit absurd to argue that men in their 30s should specifically date women 10+ years younger for child-rearing purposes. Yes, age is one consideration (for both sexes) if you are specifically looking to have children in a relationship. But there's not any indication in the Reddit post that children were at all contemplated in the whole scenario, so it comes across as an odd and Redpillish point to argue.

Adults can date other adults, but I am absolutely going to judge some 33 y/o guy for convincing a 21 y/o college girl to leave her family and follow him into the glorious sunset of /r/UTSwingers.

I definitely want to separate my statements from anything relating to this specific man and this specific young child.

Other hypothetical humans who don't sell their panties at swinger parties for meth can have healthy reasons for seeking an older or younger partner.

lol, I got accused of white knighting yesterday and red pilling today. goons gonna goon

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

lol, I got accused of white knighting yesterday and red pilling today. goons gonna goon

yes, you are indeed the goon gooning all over the thread lately

ANYWAY

Roommate wants $1100 because her dog got into my room and ate something, threatening to not pay rent if I don't give her the money.

quote:

So as the title states I rent a 2BR apartment, I am the main lease holder and I sublet to her. She has a young dog that recently got into my room, destroyed and ate some of my belongings and coincidentally ended up going to the Emergency vet because it got sick from eating stuff. It spent 2 days at the vet and racked up some pretty expensive vet bills. My roommate is now saying I need to cover the vet bills or cover her rent for this month, she has threatened to not pay rent(her share is $800).

I leave my bedroom door shut and make sure she knows the dog isn't supposed to be in the hallway, we have a gate up that blocks off the hallway to our bedrooms and the bathroom. The dog is only allowed in the hallway if my roommate is bringing it to her room. It has chewed and destroyed things in the past which is why we added the gate as another safety measure.

I was at work when this occurred, and my roommate when I asked how her dog managed to get into my room admitted she went in to borrow my phone charger to charge her iPad. Apparently she left the gate and my door open and somehow the dog was in there long enough to cause havoc and eat stuff it shouldn't have.

Should I pay her or cover rent? I have the means to cover rent but I don't want to unless it's absolutely necessary. Does she have any legal leg to stand on if she tries to sue me? If she follows through with her threat to skip on rent this month can I sue her or potentially evict her if she doesn't pay?

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Stranger venmo'd my brother $1100

quote:

So some random person added my brother on snapchat and told him he found a “glitch” on venmo. The stranger said he would venmo my brother $1100 if he used cashapp to send the stranger $1000, and my bro would get to keep the $100. My brother was basically like “yeah I’m not doing that” but the stranger venmo’d him $1100 anyway (unsure of how he got his venmo). He then started saying stuff like “hurry up we gotta be quick for the glitch to work, send $1000 from your bank now and just keep the venmo money”. This made me think that maybe the guy was maybe going to get a charge back on his $1100 and keep the $1000 that my brother would have sent but idk. Anyway, for some reason my brother venmo’d me the money and deleted his venmo. He then made a new venmo and had me send the money back to his new venmo. I guess he’s trying to keep this money now? So what should be done at this point? From a legal standpoint, how involved am I in this scheme now?

Location is Missouri

Update: Alright so idk if anyone is following this fr, but I got some more information on the whole situation and also possibly another layer to the scam if anyones interested. So apparently my brother is friends with a “lowkey rapper” on snapchat. This rapper initially snapchatted my brother saying that his friend “needed help with something”. I guess my brother agreed (hes kind of an idiot), So the scammer then added my brother on snapchat and thats where my post started. Now, my brother decided to ask the scammer dude if he wants him to send the money back since he wasn’t going to cashapp it and he never got a response. So he then asked this rapper dude what the deal was and according to the rapper dude the scammer apparently got sentenced to go to jail sometime between this morning and now for something unrelated to the scam (drugs and beating a woman or something like that). I want to believe this is the next part of a scam or something but I can’t really think of what the angle would be. Maybe they want him to spend the money? No clue. If this scammer really is in jail now, what does that mean for this whole venmo fraud situation? This is such a weird situation to me, like who are these people

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004
She should cover the rent and then serve her a pay or quit notice on her door, sometimes you just have to play hardball with people like this who want to play games over your rent money

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Enfys posted:

yes, you are indeed the goon gooning all over the thread lately

Nah, I've just been pointing out any time this thread starts to look like the Reddit threads it's supposed to be lampooning.

Glad to see actual BWM stories though. For a while it was just a mad dash to post anything vaguely horse related.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Speaking of goons getting all goony...

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/7zjgl0/im_in_my_first_serious_relationship_and_spending/ posted:

I'm in my first serious relationship. I have a decent job, but am currently working out of some pretty serious debt. My girlfriend is in a stable job, and makes slightly more than me right now.

I have my own apartment, but almost a year into our relationship, I've found myself spending 4-5 nights per week at her house. As I work remotely from home, I'm typically there all day when I stay over.

Her utilities are included for rent, so thats not a concern. But there has been some back and forth with her over how we fairly split costs of things like food, paper towels, cleaning supplies etc.

I don't eat breakfast too often, but when I do its usually just an omlette or an avacado from the fridge. I try to bring my own food to make during the day for lunch or grab it from elsewhere, but occasionally will have something from the fridge too. We share dinner together every night we're together.

Sometimes I go with her grocery shopping, sometimes she just goes on her own. But she usually puts up all the money herself for whatever she keeps in the house.

We typically pay our own share of pretty much everything we do together unless its a special occasion. And if for when we front for each other, we keep a running tally of who owes what on the Splitwise app.

I don't want to ever mooch off her, and tell her to just put whatever I owe her for food she bought on our Splitwise tally.

She has been recently asking me to split her entire grocery bill 50/50, since I'm there so often. However, I'm not there 7 days per week, so I also grocery shop myself for food to keep at my own apartment. Also, not all of the food she buys is stuff thats for me to eat...and if I want stuff just for myself she won't eat, I typically buy it on my own and bring it there.

I"m trying to get out of debt and save money, so I don't necessarily feel comfortable splitting costs of food or other supplies I'm not actually eating. But I also don't want to screw my girlfriend over if I'm eating bigger portions of things she buys.

Its pretty difficult to determine exactly how much of her food I ate each week (and I don't necessarily want to get into logging every piece of food I buy.). And since the number of days I'm at her apartment varies week by week, as does the portion size I eat each week, 'm not sure a good/fair set formula to use.

Was wondering how others have handled this in their own relationships? Or any recommendations we can use for a set way of handling this going forward.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Droo posted:

Speaking of goons getting all goony...

If they haven't moved in together by now it's never happening

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
That's intense, but my sister and her husband (who share a child together) have their own shelves of the refrigerator and write each other reimbursement checks if they drink the other's beer.

People can make some crazy stuff work!

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

If you need to crowdfund your business trip maaaaaybe it's not a real business?

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
http://www.wrestlinginc.com/wi/news/2018/0222/637235/bray-wyatt-reportedly-spending-some-of-his-required-child

Had to share this gem about "Professional Wrestler Bray Wyatt" spending his required spousal support money for his ex-wife on gifts for his new girlfriend

including

"miniature horses"

literally more than one miniature horse. the potential for BWM really does just go up exponentially as you make more money, huh.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Spokes posted:

the potential for BWM really does just go up exponentially as you make more money, huh.

Shah Jahan commissioned the Taj Mahal because his wife was mad at him.

Rich people and poor people have the same problems, just with different amounts of zeroes involved.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
We need to know what the miniature horse to regulation horse exchange rate is before passing judgment on Bray.

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010

Spokes posted:

http://www.wrestlinginc.com/wi/news/2018/0222/637235/bray-wyatt-reportedly-spending-some-of-his-required-child

Had to share this gem about "Professional Wrestler Bray Wyatt" spending his required spousal support money for his ex-wife on gifts for his new girlfriend

including

"miniature horses"

literally more than one miniature horse. the potential for BWM really does just go up exponentially as you make more money, huh.

I always thought Bray Wyatt would be GWM since his dad was IRS.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Youth Decay posted:

If you need to crowdfund your business trip maaaaaybe it's not a real business?

drat, if you can incept somebody into wanting to go to Oklahoma that badly, you could probably get them to rob a bank or assassinate your nemesis

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Trustworthy posted:

drat, if you can incept somebody into wanting to go to Oklahoma that badly, you could probably get them to rob a bank or assassinate your nemesis

Check if that person’s other posts mention ammonium nitrate.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Snap Inc.'s flagship platform has lost some lustre, at least according to one social-media influencer in the Kardashian-Jenner clan.

The Snapchat parent's shares sank as much as 7.2 per cent Thursday, wiping out $US1.3 billion ($1.7 billion) in market value, on the heels of a tweet from Kylie Jenner, who said she doesn't open the app anymore.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

saltylopez posted:

I always thought Bray Wyatt would be GWM since his dad was IRS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evKsxUoKEo4

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

potatoducks posted:

Not saying that her parents are right. But I'd bet a lot of money that her life would end up a lot better if she listened to her parents on this one.

She sounds like an idiot, honestly. Who gets involved with that poo poo at age 23?

Edit: Also, no normal person has unpaid traffic tickets. This dude is obviously hosed up.
It’s kind of sad, but the number one thing the radio bankruptcy ads list is parking tickets. I can’t imagine ever getting into a place like that, but I am privileged.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
I just want to say that because of this thread I've actually told friends who are checking tinder "nah dude, not that one. She has a horse."

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I have two horse girl friends on Facebook, one who actually turned into a legit business/career, and one who is all in on time share horses. It's like reading Goofus and Gallant.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Gibfender
Apr 15, 2007

Electricity In Our Homes
https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2018/02/doterra-young-living-multilevel-marketing-companies-got-autism-community-hooked-essential-oils/

quote:

How Multilevel Marketing Companies Got the Autism Community Hooked on Essential Oils
Vague wellness language and an army of salespeople are miracle treatments for the bottom line.

When Cheryl Walser was 19, she gave birth to her first child, Ethan. The newborn phase is hard for all young mothers, but for her it was a nightmare. Ethan cried almost constantly and rarely smiled. At 18 months, when most babies giggle, play, and begin to chat with their parents, Ethan was silent and withdrawn—he would barely make eye contact. She knew something was wrong. A few months later, a doctor confirmed her suspicions: Ethan was diagnosed with autism. “I felt incredibly alone, and so ashamed,” Walser, now 33, recalls. “I believed that I had done something to cause it, and I had no idea how to fix it.”

The next several years were a blur of doctors’ appointments, special diets, and therapy. Some of the treatments helped, but “it felt like two steps forward, three steps back,” Walser recalls. When Ethan was five, a friend invited her to an evening class she taught about so-called essential oils made by a Utah-based company called DoTerra. The friend thought the oils could help Ethan.

Walser attended and was intrigued by the little vials with romantic herbal names: vetiver, Roman chamomile, frankincense. Extracted and distilled from aromatic plants, each oil had a unique aroma that could help with specific physical and psychological problems, her friend explained. Some people applied them directly onto their bodies, like perfumes. Others used electronic diffusers to scent entire rooms. At the end of the class, Walser asked her friend which oil she should try. “She told me, ‘Think of your boy and hold this oil, and if your heart says get this oil, you should get it.’”

Walser finally settled on a $150 starter kit, plus two sample-size vials of Balance, a proprietary blend that, according to the promotional material, “promotes tranquility while bringing harmony to the mind and body, and balance to the emotions.” That night, Walser crept into Ethan’s room and rubbed the oil on her sleeping son’s feet. He woke up, and Walser explained what she was doing and gave him the bottle to smell. “Mommy, I need this,” he said. Over the next few weeks, Walser noticed improvements in her son’s behavior, so she began to experiment with other oils. As she delved deeper into DoTerra, she developed feelings of expertise. “I definitely felt that sense of empowerment, that I knew exactly what to do with it,” she recalls. Soon, she signed up with DoTerra and began selling the oils to others.

This transition from consumer to salesperson is common in the world of DoTerra, a multilevel marketing (MLM) company that works like the Tupperware parties of old: Salespeople invite friends to their homes for sales events disguised as parties or classes. They give a spiel about the product, maybe hand out a few free samples, and then offer their guests the opportunity to buy. Selling is good, but recruiting new salespeople is better: If you convince a friend to sell DoTerra products, you take a commission on every sale she makes. If she recruits her friends, you then get a cut of their sales, too. This model has done well for the company, which has gross annual revenues in excess of $1.5 billion.

Over the past five years or so, with a big assist from DoTerra and its main competitor, an MLM company called Young Living, essential oils have taken off in the autism community. Some parents I talked to told me they spend more than $200 a month on DoTerra products. On Facebook, there are dozens of essential oil groups for parents of kids on the spectrum—the group Autism, ADHD, and Essential Oils, for example, has more than 19,000 members.

Dawna Toews, an Ontario-based DoTerra saleswoman, told me she holds sales events all over the United States and Canada, where she teaches the families of children with autism how to use oils as a complementary therapy to help with some of the symptoms. “When you get an autism diagnosis for your child, you feel incredibly helpless, and you just want to be able to do something,” Toews told me. While she emphasizes that she never implies that her products can cure or treat autism, “Essential oils make parents feel empowered,” she says. It’s also a smart way to recruit salespeople: Moms who stay home to care for kids with autism are often eager to earn a little money on the side.

Just one problem: There’s little published scientific evidence on the effects of DoTerra’s oils—or any essential oils—on people with autism. These products, indeed, are not regulated. And the company requires its salespeople to spend at least $100 a month on DoTerra products in order to qualify for sales commissions. According to DoTerra’s 2016 member earnings disclosure and spokeswoman Missy Larsen, one-third of the salespeople—which the company calls “wellness advocates”—earn nothing from their sales efforts.

DoTerra isn’t required by law to disclose how many of its salespeople actually lose money, but the Federal Trade Commission has cited a 2011 investigation involving about 350 multilevel marketing companies (including DoTerra) and found that the vast majority of the salespeople for such operations end up in the red—usually because they can’t manage to sell the products they’re required to buy.

Nor are the companies obligated to tell prospective salespeople that they may come out behind. The rules probably won’t change anytime soon. The FTC cracked down on multilevel marketing firms under President Barack Obama, but President Donald Trump, who made millions of dollars as a spokesman for an MLM company, is considered more likely to ease business restrictions than tighten them.

Whether they sell or not, parents of kids with autism are often financially vulnerable thanks to health-related expenses, says Catherine Lord, director of Cornell University’s Center for Autism and the Developing Brain. Her fear is that families are blowing money on essential oils at the expense of proven treatments. “What are you not doing because you’re doing this?” she asks.

*SNIP*

Gibfender fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Feb 23, 2018

Jan 11, 2004
https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2018/02/pensions-safety-net-california/553970/

Sad with money, mostly

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Non Serviam posted:

I just want to say that because of this thread I've actually told friends who are checking tinder "nah dude, not that one. She has a horse."

See? This forum is arm reduction!

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

#notabubble

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Half you idiots in this thread are more annoying and obsessed with horses than the people you make fun of because you won't loving shut up about horses regardless of whether it has anything to do with thread.

:byodood: GUYS I JUST WANTED TO TELL YOU I SAW THE WORD "HORSE" TODAY

Gibfender posted:

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2018/02/doterra-young-living-multilevel-marketing-companies-got-autism-community-hooked-essential-oils/

“When you get an autism diagnosis for your child, you feel incredibly helpless, and you just want to be able to do something,” Toews told me.

That's what makes these people so despicable. They know exactly how vulnerable these parents are to bullshit scams because they desperately want to be able to do something to help their kid.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Enfys posted:

Half you idiots in this thread are more annoying and obsessed with horses than the people you make fun of because you won't loving shut up about horses regardless of whether it has anything to do with thread.

That's what makes these people so despicable. They know exactly how vulnerable these parents are to bullshit scams because they desperately want to be able to do something to help their kid.
Not discuss God's most majestic creature? To that I say

neigh

Jan 11, 2004

This is honestly the dumbest bullshit story because Snap share price literally increased 50% this very month after earnings

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

My new employer has a creative way of doing payroll that just doesn't seem...legal

quote:

I applied for a job at a large food chain. My interview was with the owner/operator, I was hired, and given the rate I requested which is well above minimum.

I have now been told, by management and other employees, that the rate of pay agreed upon is never what is given.

The owner pays everyone a flat $8/hr and adjusts payment up or down as he sees fit with “bonuses” on your pay check. This includes upper management, shift leads/team leads, etc.

This means if you don’t preform to his standards, he will cut your pay and you have to earn back your pay rate.

I’ve also been told that he expects a 4 week notice (unheard of for fast food service) if you quit and that if you don’t give 4 weeks notice he will reduce your pay to $8 for the last two weeks you worked.

Also, The assistant manager told me that he gave her a $400 bonus on her check and is now claiming it was an error and he needs it back. But he won’t do a payroll deduction/correction. He wants her to write him a personal check. I told her he has to do a payroll correction because otherwise you’re still taxed on that money. He has told her, and the rest of the staff because this has happened to them too, that doing those kinds of payroll corrections is illegal. And they’ve been paying him in personal checks. I don’t know anything about tax fraud....but it smells like tax fraud.

This entire payroll business is incredibly shady if not completely illegal. I do not foresee myself actually staying here. I’m already looking for a different job. I just want to protect myself on the way out.

Edit: So my question is if this stuff is illegal or just shady. Do I report him to someone or just leave quietly?

Update

quote:

Hello all. Thank you to everyone who looked up laws and gave helpful info. It really helped.

Firstly, I wanted to say I looked into what was going on with the new hire documentation. Specifically, the document the owner is required to provide detailing what my pay rate is, hours expected, etc.

The answer is....no one knows. The manager and assistant manager both have no idea where the paperwork is because the owner handles it. I was told not to hold my breath, because people who’ve been there longer still don’t have one.

Even more worrisome, the kitchen manager walked out and I found out that his paperwork was never done and that when he walked out the owner did some DIY CYA and forged the kitchen managers signature on documents saying he only got $8/hr. And by “found out” I mean the owner said all this to myself and others during a leadership meeting like it was no big deal.

But on to my stuff.

I got my first paycheck and sure enough it’s a bunch of f*ckery.

My pay rate is set at $8/hr, just like everyone said it would be.

Under “Earnings” there is a column titled “Misc Pay” with no hourly rate and a pay of $218.38. This is where my so called bonus to bridge the gap between the $8 and my correct pay is, I guess.

Another issue I’ve discovered is overtime pay. I clocked 19.77 hours of overtime in my first pay period. With my pay rate at $8/hr, I’m getting screwed out of the correct amount of overtime pay.

I’m job hunting to the extreme now. On my way out, I’ll be calling the labor board and the IRS.

If anyone works in or around Easley, SC - don’t work for the Jesus-y chicken place. It’s crooked to the core.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

A couple months ago I read Nomadland by Jessica Bruder - possibly it was recommended in this thread? Or maybe the Wired article she wrote was linked here and I wanted to find out more.

She spent 3 years traveling around with the depressingly large (and growing) number of elderly people who can't afford rent so have moved into cars or old RVs. A lot of them had their pensions completely wiped out in 2008 and can't survive on their social security alone. A lot of places (particularly Amazon, the sugar beet farms, park services) are taking advantage of them and target the elderly RV community who drive around the country from one lovely minimum wage seasonal job to the next. The working conditions are atrocious - the author signed up for a bunch of the jobs and even fit young people barely manage and are in pain all the time. One of the old ladies in the book wrecks the nerves in the hand she uses to hold the Amazon scanning gun during the Oct-Dec job so badly that she hasn't healed a year later and is still in pain, but she needs the work :smith:

Enfys fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Feb 23, 2018

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

Enfys posted:

Mods?!

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Sororities: The college version of the HOA

quote:

In my first year at university, I joined a sorority. After one semester, having decided it was not for me, I chose to "go passive", an option usually used for students who are on out of town work term placement. A passive member does not attend meetings, go to events, or pay dues.

It is now my third year of university, and on the national level, the sorority has implemented new rules that passive members now owe dues. I do not want to pay dues to a sorority that I have not been a part of since one semester in my first year. I contacted the president, and she spoke to the International Executive Board (IEB) about the procedure for a member quitting.

Correspondence as follows:

President: I just have to talk to IEB about their protocol and I'll get back to you.

---1 week later---

Okay I have done some snooping. We have two options: 1. You voluntarily resign, there is some paperwork involved, you hand in your pin and you have to pay everything you owe to the organization including your prom note. Or 2. We push you to alumna status at the end of the term (This will likely happen with the other current passives), you hand over your pin and you'll have 3 years to pay your prom note. Or 3. The best option yet - you come back active and love us ;) !

Me:

prom note???

President:

Thats the note you signed when you got initiated stating that you would pay 300$ to AOE within 3 years of graduation

Paying that $300 now would mean going to the food bank for the rest of the month. The president and I are on good terms, and she does understand that I am not able to pay up at the moment, but this is a matter of sorority wide policy and there's not much she can do.

I signed that note as part of a secret initiation ceremony when I was 18 years old. Is it legally binding?

The president presented option 2 as in my best interest, as I would then have three years (and three work terms) to come up with the money to pay the sorority. My issue with this is that it would make me alumna for a sorority that I do not wish to participate in or be tied to.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Going to be honest, not feeling a lot of pity. If any generation partied hard in their prime earning years and voted against everyone's best interests it was Baby Boomers. Almost all of their excuses have a kernel of truth, but are slathered with a thick layer of questionable decisions.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Krispy Wafer posted:

Going to be honest, not feeling a lot of pity. If any generation partied hard in their prime earning years and voted against everyone's best interests it was Baby Boomers. Almost all of their excuses have a kernel of truth, but are slathered with a thick layer of questionable decisions.
Painting a bit broad with that brush, ya think? You think people your age aren't voting against their interests right this instant? And you think it's "just" to have people just die from exposure on the street for it, regardless of what they might have voted for?

The article seriously buries THAT particular lede:

quote:

Today, approximately half of single homeless adults are aged 50 and older [2], compared to 11% in 1990 [1].

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Bhodi posted:

Painting a bit broad with that brush, ya think? You think people your age aren't voting against their interests right this instant? And you think it's "just" to have people just die from exposure on the street for it, regardless of what they might have voted for?

poo poo happens. Recessions occur the year you're retiring. Pension plans fail. People go on disability unexpectedly. And people decide to not contribute to retirement or panic sell or think it's a fantastic idea to put all of their money in one company when everyone around them says that's terrible. So yeah, going to pick this hill to at least get beat up on.

And I'll have you know my generation votes with wisdom and forethought.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Bhodi posted:

It's sad that those people are out on the street because I believe that any developed nation should have a safety net that prevents that kind of thing.

As far as I'm concerned, every boomer can freeze to death outside. They consistently gently caress over any group they don't feel they belong to. I constantly see them bitching all over Facebook (even the loving liberal ones) that how dare someone call their social security a "benefit" or "entitlement" because GAWDAMMIT I WORKED FOR THAT MONEY since they obviously feel they deserve it more than people on food stamps or disability. This is the generation that pushed us all into college and let tuition and fees soar, then took away BK protections for student loans when private and public universities alike preyed on people just trying to keep up. These are the people that have forced minimum wage to stagnate for decades. These are also the people whose greed and loving stupidity caused the housing crash. They're the people making it harder for everyone to vote.

Yeah, millennials have their problems too, but most of them were inherited by a generation who came of age in one of the most plentiful economic environments this country has ever had, then pushed every policy that would make it so no one else could benefit, and they refuse to retire so the next generation can take over because they all hosed themselves and need to work until they die.

Ooooo I hate boomers.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Krispy Wafer posted:

Trump is the US president and the UK voted to leave the EU :psyduck:

Also, being cool with elderly people becoming homeless and poverty-stricken because of how they vote is weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Enfys posted:

Trump is the US president and the UK voted to leave the EU :psyduck:

Also, being cool with elderly people becoming homeless and poverty-stricken because of how they vote is weird.

It's not about being cool they're homeless. Almost all of them have Social Security as well as heavily subsidized healthcare, but none of that matters if you go into retirement paying a mortgage, couple of car notes, or a crippling addiction of some sort. A significant portion of those people who are homeless would still be homeless if they had a decent retirement because they weren't going to prepare regardless.

Remember the wealthiest generation was the Greatest one so all that money went to Boomers who also got cheaper educations, wages that actually went up in real terms, and reasonable housing. Poor Boomers who never got to take advantage of those benefits deserve some pity, but there are plenty that are just pissed they didn't get what they expected.