Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hal_2005
Feb 23, 2007

The Butcher posted:

It takes the weirdest bait to draw you out.

Nah, I rarely have time for D&D these days. This was the first time in about 5 months I have looked at the thread, poked in to see the D&D take on the First Nations bill + India trip. I was not disappointed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Hal_2005 posted:

This was the first time in about 5 months I have looked at the thread

:thunk:

If your previous postings were forgotten about in a drunken stupor, that's actually a legit CanPol excuse as per precedent.

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Habs 2006: Cristobal Persuasion

cougar cub posted:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/greyhound-northern-bc-faq-1.4545999

Pretty lovely to have routes cut and it will definitely increase the number of people who are landlocked. Really surprised about PG to Dawson Creek getting dropped - would have thought the northern route towards GP would have had enough traffic to justify.

Keep in mind that most of these routes are on the "Trail of Tears", which Greyhound has desperately wanted to ditch for ages, but was forced to keep because they were the only game in town. It was so expensive and inconvenient that they started running a bus once a day up to take hospital patients to the regional hospital in Prince George (since everything not in PG got "centralized" years ago), so Greyhound had the excuse they needed to ditch their northern routes. It's gross but not unexpected, more people are just going to hitchhike along the highway is all. What could go wrong?

edit: the Nanaimo-Vancouver one isn't a surprise, since BC Transit runs a bus between the cities (I think you have to transfer in Duncan). I didn't know Greyhound was even allowed to run Vancouver-Victoria, because Wilson's has exclusive rights to run buses on the ferry. Anyway, sucks to be you if you wanted travel options on the Island or in the North, buy a car losers.

MikeSevigny fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Feb 23, 2018

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Who cares about providing government-subsidized transit services in Northern BC? The government has much more important things to concern themselves with, like getting in a trade war with Alberta for no discernible reason. That takes up a lot of their time!

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I took the Greyhound from Williams Lake to Prince George and then PG to Edmonton a month ago. There was a five hour layover in between and by hour 14 of the trip I was ready to dive out the window and start a new life in the wilds.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

quote:

Regarding the waterfront manse in a well-to-do Lake Simcoe enclave north of Barrie, Brown said his mortgage payments were about $90,000 a year on a gross income of $180,000 as leader, or $120,000 net.

“That left me with $30,000 in post-mortgage, after-tax income — which is, as it turns out, the same amount retained by the average Ontarian after taxes and mortgage/rent payments,” Brown wrote in a two-page missive frequently touting tax cuts and other promises in his moribund People’s Guarantee platform for the June 7 provincial election.

https://twitter.com/brownbarrie/status/966721612698406912

Holy gently caress this guy is dumb

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
windsor law school u guys

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Chillyrabbit posted:

Evidence from my point of view seemed kind of flimsy. Looking at the CBC article

There wasn't any real physical evidence or cause of death that really tied to Cormier to killing Fontaine, and his statements could be interpreted differently to suggest he could have disposed of the body but not actually killed her.

We should probably see all the evidence, but at first glance I think the Crown had a shaky case, relying on eye witnesses placing them together and those recorded statements weren't an outright admission of guilt, just reasons why Fontaine could have been killed but not actually stating he did kill her. Seemed to be largely circumstantial, where reasonable doubt could have crept into the jurors process.

Or It's cause he's white who knows.

Upon review this is one of the dumbest and most condescending posts in this thread, congratulations on being a prick.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2018/02/justin-trudeau-india-trip/553958/

quote:

Why Justin Trudeau Is Being Snubbed in India
The Canadian prime minister’s trip could nonetheless help him with a voting bloc he covets.

Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi hasn’t hidden his fondness for foreign leaders. He has embraced them, tweeted at them, and sent them birthday wishes—all in an effort to make India a global player in international affairs. So when Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, he of the perfect coiffure, high-voltage smile, and beautiful family arrived in New Delhi this week for a state visit, it should have been a perfect photo-op. Instead, neither Modi nor any of his senior ministers showed up to receive the Trudeaus.

Trudeau has smiled his way through India, however, meeting with business executives, signing billions of dollars worth of business deals, posing for photographs with Bollywood actors, and donning Indian attire befitting his own Indian wedding reception. The Indians, for their part, have denied the Canadian prime minister is being snubbed (one unnamed official went as far as to call it “protocol”). But a snub it is—and the diplomatic brush-off has its roots in an Indian separatist movement from the 1980s and present-day Canadian domestic politics.

In the 1980s, a Sikh separatist movement roiled the Indian state of Punjab, which, as India’s breadbasket, has always been among the wealthiest states. Sikhs are a minority in India. They make up about 2 percent of the country’s 1.2 billion people. But in Punjab, they are a majority, constituting about 60 percent of the state’s 27 million people. The militancy—and the government’s crackdown—was brutal. Bombs planted by militants went off in crowded markets, killing civilians. The Indian government’s response came through both its regular and paramilitary forces. Human-rights groups cited gross violations. Many prominent Indian officials, including Sikhs who make up a disproportionate amount of the military and police forces, were killed by the separatists. Top militant leaders were killed in the government’s response.

Four events stand out in the minds of those who lived through the era: In June 1984, Indira Gandhi, who was India’s prime minister at the time, ordered her troops to enter the Golden Temple, the holiest shrine in Sikhism, to flush out militants who had taken refuge inside. The military operation, which was called Operation Bluestar, was successful—in that the face of the Khalistan movement, as the separatist movement was called, was killed in the operation. But Sikh religious sentiments were incensed by the violation of the holy site, which was damaged in the assault. Less than five months later, Gandhi’s Sikh bodyguards shot her dead at her home. A massacre of Sikhs across India followed, and in parts of the capital, New Delhi, government officials oversaw the killings. (The issue remains sensitive in India because some of those people who oversaw the killings are still active in politics.) There was still more to come: In June 1985, an Air India flight from Toronto to Delhi blew up over the Atlantic, killing all 329 people on board. Investigators later found that the plot was hatched by Sikh militants in Canada as retaliation for the storming of the Golden Temple.

The Indian state ultimately crushed the Khalistan separatist movement—brutally. Those Sikhs who might have been sympathetic to the cause were integrated into the political mainstream. By the 2000s, the rebellion, Operation Blue Star, Gandhi’s assassination, and the bombing of the Air India plane were no longer as much of a driving force in Indian, or indeed Punjabi, politics. India even had a Sikh prime minister, Manmohan Singh, the respected economist, who was one of the architects of the country’s economic liberalization program. But if the Khalistan movement was no longer part of the political conversation in India, it remains a potent political issue in Canada.

Sikhs had migrated to Canada for decades, but the numbers swelled during the Indian government’s crackdown on the separatist movement in the 1980s. The community is still relatively tiny—about 1.4 percent of Canada’s 36 million people—but Sikhs are a significant presence in British Columbia (about 5 percent of the population) as well as in Ontario and Alberta (about 1.5 percent of the population in each province.) Many Sikhs are influential in Canadian politics and public life, such as Defense Minister Harjit Singh Sajjan and Jagmeet Singh, the leader of the left-leaning New Democratic Party. Some, but by no means all, of these Sikhs still support an independent Khalistan. More importantly, they vote—and are a key voting bloc in the country’s elections; so much so that any serious Canadian politician who visits India goes to the Golden Temple and prays. (Punjab is the largest source of Indian immigrants to Canada.) The issue of Khalistan has come up during previous visits to India by Canadian leaders, but with less of a dramatic impact in either country.

Trudeau’s Cabinet, as has been widely written about, reflects Canada’s diverse population. He has four ministers who are of Indian origin. All four are Sikh, including the defense minister. Trudeau has even boasted that he has more Sikh ministers than Modi. (He does.) But if Sikh officials in Punjab state are to be believed, all four Sikh-Canadian ministers are sympathetic to Sikh separatists. (All four are visiting India with Trudeau, who denies the allegation.) All this has not won Trudeau many political friends in India. But there was more to come Thursday. The public mood toward what should otherwise have been a mundane visit by a Canadian prime minister turned even more negative when it emerged that the Canadians had invited a Sikh separatist, now a Canadian citizen, convicted of the attempted murder of an Indian politician to a dinner with Trudeau at the Canadian High Commissioner’s residence in New Delhi. (It’s not clear how he obtained a visa to enter India.) The invitation was subsequently withdrawn.

“Obviously we take this situation extremely seriously,” Trudeau said. “The individual in question never should have received an invitation. As soon as we found out, we rescinded the invitation immediately.”

On the face of it, Trudeau’s visit might have generated the kinds of headlines planners in both countries dreaded. But as Shivam Vij wrote in the Washington Post, “for Trudeau, this trip is all about the Sikh vote in Canada.” The controversy over the trip helps the Canadian leader with a voting bloc that he covets. Without having done or said anything overtly—or even tacitly—supportive of the Khalistan movement, Trudeau will have shown Sikh Canadians that his primary loyalty is to Canada and Canadians—not to what the Indian government might want or think. Modi’s government, on the other hand, is walking a much finer line: ignore what its supporters see as Trudeau’s embrace of separatists and look weak or, alternately, protest loudly and remind many Indians of a separatist movement they’d long forgotten about.

wait david frum's magazine isn't actually publishing a story stating that the son of Pierre Trudeau is pandering to separatists to solidify an alliance with a distinct society as a voting bloc

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Well the dumb poo poo had a solid 20 minutes on The Agenda with Steve "My Wife Does Health Care Policy Work For The OPC" Paikin and did nothing but regurgitate stupid talking points:

- I did nothing wrong it's all lies fake news
- a sinister cabal of shadowy agents within and outside of the party all conspired to backstab him
- they're all doing it for personal gain despite his support from the party grassroots
- my professional staff* are thoroughly investigating the truth behind this foul smear campaign
- nobody else is capable of keeping the People's Promise to the People of Ontario because the rest of the party are idiots clearly

*lol what who? exactly

smoke sumthin bitch
Dec 14, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
lol
https://twitter.com/LP_LaPresse/status/967001177123516416

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
"I care deeply about the people and my party and this is all deeply altruistic and not at all about myself which is why I will burn this party to the ground if they don't let me be premier" - Patrick Brown

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Actual footage of Trudeau in India

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

quote:

Pour rassurer ses hôtes que le Canada n'entretienne aucune sympathie envers le séparatisme sikh en Inde, le premier ministre Justin Trudeau a affirmé avoir lutté toute sa vie contre le mouvement souverainiste au Québec et qu'il est bien conscient des « dangers de violence » qu'un tel mouvement peut entraîner, toujours selon ce compte rendu.

« Citant le mouvement séparatiste au Québec, Trudeau a dit qu'il avait composé avec de telles menaces durant toute sa vie et qu'il était pleinement conscient des dangers de la violence, des dangers qu'il avait toujours combattus avec toute sa force », a indiqué le conseiller principal pour les médias de M. Singh, Raveen Thukral, au terme de la rencontre.

imagine a :wtc: except it says "comment de criss"

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Trudeau also cited that time he repeatedly punched an indigenous senator in the face to defend the territorial integrity of are nation.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

flakeloaf posted:

imagine a :wtc: except it says "comment de criss"

There was violence for a little bit early on there, I guess. Also when his dad imposed martial law.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
https://twitter.com/aradwanski/status/967020286838222848?ref_src=twcamp%5Eshare%7Ctwsrc%5Em5%7Ctwgr%5Eemail%7Ctwcon%5E7046%7Ctwterm%5E3

quote:

But just before the meeting began, Mr. Zeise was summoned into the hallway by Mike Richmond, a lawyer and a friend of Mr. Brown's. When Mr. Zeise returned about 15 minutes later, he sat at the back of the room instead of at the table with other members and did not ask any questions, Ms. Thompson said.

Mr. Zeise acknowledged that Mr. Richmond chatted to him in the hallway about a tape of a phone conversation Mr. Richmond had obtained of Mr. Zeise making comments about Mr. Brown. He also said he sat on a table by the window when he returned to the meeting.

Yeah this all seems above-board

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Patrick Brown didn’t want Doug Ford and Anal Sex Lady ruining the party, so he decided to do it himself.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

I can't wait until these guys are disastrously running the province in 6 months and blaming their shortcomings on leftists and the media

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Jordan7hm posted:

Patrick Brown didn’t want Doug Ford and Anal Sex Lady ruining the party, so he decided to do it himself.

Purity balls keep your daughters pure

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Reince Penis posted:

I can't wait until these guys are disastrously running the province in 6 months and blaming their shortcomings on leftists and the media

But at least they're not Wynne! :bahgawd:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Conservatism is a disease.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

DariusLikewise posted:

Upon review this is one of the dumbest and most condescending posts in this thread, congratulations on being a prick.

Admittedly that was a poor joke to make, but the bigger point still stands.

The Crown had such a lovely case, its a wonder it even went to trial. They couldn't even prove that someone was murdered! All they had was a dead body, wrapped in a duvet cover sold by costco (so pretty common), and the ramblings of a man who in some cases wants to find her killer and in other cases says suggestive undertones but nothing actually substantial.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

PT6A posted:

Who cares about providing government-subsidized transit services in Northern BC? The government has much more important things to concern themselves with, like getting in a trade war with Alberta for no discernible reason. That takes up a lot of their time!

You mean the trade war Alberta started? Yeah gotcha

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

PT6A posted:

"no discernible reason" like not wanting to shoulder all the cost for environmental cleanup from pipeline spills, recognizing the potentially huge environmental catastrophe this pipeline could bring for very little economic benefit to British Columbia, fulfilling their campaign promise to fight the pipeline with all means at their disposal, wanting to in some small way combat global warming, encouraging Alberta to diversify their economy, and giving a fellow NDP premier an easy out for why they need to invest in non-oil-related infrastructure.

Right. There's no discernible reason why the BC NDP would want to oppose this pipeline and therefore get in a trade war that Alberta started. No discernible reason at all. It's a huge loving mystery.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Even better, his office claims he receives rental income from the property, which he didn't declare to the Integrity Commissioner, who has noticed the discrepancy.

More and more I'm hoping he somehow manages to win the PCPO leadership again, because holy poo poo.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

quote:

https://www.thestar.com/news/queenspark/2018/02/20/patrick-browns-girlfriend-says-wrong-how-media-has-treated-him.html

Patrick Brown’s 23-year-old girlfriend says the ousted former Progressive Conservative leader “is one of the most respectful, decent and caring individuals I have ever met.”

“You can ask any questions you want but I have no interest in participating in an attack on a good man,” Genevieve Gualtieri said in a text message to the Star.

“It is wrong how the media has treated him.”

Known to friends as “GG,” Gualtieri worked as an intern in Brown’s office on Parliament Hill when he was a Conservative MP before moving to Queen’s Park in May 2015 — about two weeks after Brown became Progressive Conservative leader.

She was paid $500 a week as an intern, arriving when she was 21, sources say, and Gualtieri has accompanied Brown on several overseas trips while he was leader, including to India.

Friends said they have been an on-again-off-again couple for several years and that she rallied to his side after CTV’s Jan. 24 report alleging sexual impropriety against Brown by two women when they were teenagers and he was a Tory MP.

Brown, who turns 40 in May, has said the allegations are false, and has been publicly fighting back in a bid to clear his name.

CTV stands by its story — as do both women, even though one has since acknowledged that she initially had some details wrong regarding her drunken encounter with a sober Brown.

Last Friday, the same day he was turfed from the Tory caucus, Brown announced he was running again for his old job as PC leader.

He has made a number of public appearances since and Gualtieri was campaigning at his side in Orillia on the Family Day long weekend.

Tory insiders say she knows the region well. During the Simcoe North byelection won by Brown in September 2015, friends described her as an enthusiastic campaign worker.

“I have nothing but good things to say,” Gualtieri, who works at the SickKids Foundation, told the Star in a brief telephone interview last week after being asked to vouch for Brown’s character.

Brown did not respond to repeated requests from the Star for this story. However, in a Tuesday afternoon email to supporters, he claimed that he is the target of “smear campaigns” orchestrated by Tory “elites and insiders.”

“They think they can use my personal life, family and relationships against me as attacks,” Brown said in his missive.

“They are going to fight. They are going to lie. Party insiders don’t want us to win,” he said.

“You’d think it would be the Liberals who are sitting back and running smear campaigns. It’s not. Some elites and insiders think they are above process and above the grassroots.”

Gualtieri did not respond to follow-up text, voicemail and email messages asking her to clarify her relationship with Brown, and when it began.

The Star has learned she accompanied Brown on a 2016 trip to India with PC caucus members, who thought the youthful woman was a junior staffer. Gualtieri has also travelled to Beirut and other overseas destinations with the then-PC leader.

It is unclear who paid for the trips. Gualtieri has not answered questions asking who covered the costs.

Tory MPP Randy Hillier, who on Tuesday filed a complaint about Brown to the provincial integrity commissioner, also raised questions about the travel.

“In January 2016, Patrick Brown was allegedly provided with an all-expense paid trip to India for himself and an intern from the party, Ms. Genevieve Gualtieri, with whom he is alleged to have been in a personal relationship,” Hillier said in his request to the integrity commissioner.

“They travelled on gifted trips to Syria, Turkey, Lebanon and Fiji … none of these trips were disclosed to the integrity commissioner,” the MPP alleges.

While abroad, Gualtieri posted pictures to her private Instagram account. In Beirut, she wrote: “Extremely humbled to have visited this Syrian refugee camp” and to have seen so many orphaned children. And in New Delhi, beneath a photo of Brown and others riding an elephant, she joked: “Whoever said ‘let’s get rid of the elephant in the room’ had clearly never met Lakshmi.”

Haha taking your girlfriend intern (21) on official trips as the PCPO Leader. Guy is literally mcconaughey in dazed and confused

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
so his position on buying a 2 million dollar house he cant afford is basically "like many ontarians, mommy and daddy gave me a down payment on a giant house for a single man i cannot afford and im mortgaged up to my eyeballs" lmao

why does he even need a house that big??

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Sex dungeons ain't small.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Not only do people feel entitled to a big single family house, they feel entitled that that house should perform better as an investment than mutual funds and be absolutely guaranteed to never go down. We've had years of both the government and RE industry telling us this so it's unsurprising so many greedy idiots put them selves in situations where if the market falters at all or any additional taxes or fees are applied to them they're lives are ruined.

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity
Speaking of real estate and affordability, let's read some great tips from an expert:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/four-unconventional-ways-to-afford-your-first-home-1.4537098

Besides "dump luxury, clear debt" this is just ridiculous

:doh:

I can't believe CBC let that slimy realtor advertise Almonte McMansions for Millenials on their website

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

quote:

Bank of Mom and Dad

Real estate investor Ken Beaton says there are creative ways to finance your first home. (Ken Beaton/Facebook)

Most of us know that we can tap into our RRSPs to help with a down payment — we just have to pay it back. But if that's not an option, you can always visit the Bank of Mom and Dad, Beaton said.

That's right, your parents can lend you the money from their own RRSPs. It's safe, can securely earn them interest, and will help you out in the process, Beaton said.

"Unlike a conventional mortgage from the bank, [parents] are allowed to lend 90 or 95 per cent of the value of that property," he said.

This is different from a family member "gifting"' you the money to help with your down payment: that's when the loan is truly a gift, and isn't being repaid with interest, Beaton said. He warns a loan masquerading as a gift is deemed mortgage fraud, and can get you, mom and dad into hot water with the Canada Revenue Agency.

cool cool

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Risky Bisquick posted:

Haha taking your girlfriend intern (21) on official trips as the PCPO Leader. Guy is literally mcconaughey in dazed and confused

Woman who fucks Patrick Brown thinks Patrick Brown is pretty good.

Also he used to be her boss.

eXXon posted:

Well the dumb poo poo had a solid 20 minutes on The Agenda with Steve "My Wife Does Health Care Policy Work For The OPC" Paikin and did nothing but regurgitate stupid talking points:

- I did nothing wrong it's all lies fake news
- a sinister cabal of shadowy agents within and outside of the party all conspired to backstab him
- they're all doing it for personal gain despite his support from the party grassroots
- my professional staff* are thoroughly investigating the truth behind this foul smear campaign
- nobody else is capable of keeping the People's Promise to the People of Ontario because the rest of the party are idiots clearly

*lol what who? exactly

This is his entire interview strategy. He said the exact same things during his Global interview.

WaffleLove
Aug 16, 2007
Forgot too add "I’ve taken two lie detector tests and passed both with ease" on that list.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/new...rticle38088685/

quote:

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau flatly denied Friday ever raising the spectre of Quebec separatism in a meeting with state leaders in India, and promised a "conversation" with the Liberal MP who has claimed responsibility for inviting a failed assassin to a pair of high-level receptions.

smh

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Chillyrabbit posted:

Admittedly that was a poor joke to make, but the bigger point still stands.

The Crown had such a lovely case, its a wonder it even went to trial. They couldn't even prove that someone was murdered! All they had was a dead body, wrapped in a duvet cover sold by costco (so pretty common), and the ramblings of a man who in some cases wants to find her killer and in other cases says suggestive undertones but nothing actually substantial.

This isn't about the outcome of a trial, everyone saw "Not Guilty" coming from a mile away. The Crown presented one of the worst cases possible and no hard evidence.

Tina Fontaine is the poster-child for the MMIW inquiry which is now in shambled. She was failed by our government systems every step of her life until the end and a sham of a trial and probable killer walking free as a result is just the cherry on top of the poo poo sundae that is this story.

From Wikipedia

quote:

Fontaine was in the care of Manitoba Child and Family Services (CFS) when she was reported missing to Winnipeg Police Service on July 31, 2014.[6][7] Her aunt, Lana, later said that Fontaine had stayed with her during the August long weekend (August 1–3).[6] On August 5, Fontaine telephoned her CFS worker and was subsequently picked up by members of CFS and Winnipeg Police Service.[6] At 3 a.m. on August 8, police Constables Brock Jansen and Craig Houle encountered her in a truck with an allegedly drunk driver, but did not take her into custody.[6][8]

At 4 a.m., she was found passed out in an alleyway near Ellice Avenue and was escorted to hospital and treated before being checked into the Best Western Charterhouse hotel, which she soon left.[6] She was reported missing again on August 9.[9]

At around 1:30 p.m. on August 17, a body was found wrapped in a plastic bag in the Red River.[9][10][11] The body was identified as that of Fontaine the following day.[12] Police believe she had died on or around August 10.[13]

A young woman who claimed to have been with Fontaine shortly before she disappeared told CBC News of events that happened in the hours leading up to her disappearance. Identified by CBC News as "Katrina", she said that after she met Fontaine between 10 and 11 p.m. on August 7, they went to eat at the Macdonald Youth Services emergency shelter at around 2:30 a.m.[14] Believing Fontaine was drunk, Katrina requested the shelter staff keep her overnight, but Fontaine refused to stay, and refused to give her name.[14] After seeing her get into the truck and the encounter with the police, Katrina lost contact with Fontaine until around 8 p.m., after Fontaine left the hotel where she was staying.[14] At around 3 a.m. the following morning, the two young women were approached on Ellice Avenue by a man who offered Fontaine money to perform a sex act.[14] She accepted and left with the man. Katrina followed them but lost sight of the two in the dark.[14]

She was a 14 year old in government child care, ran away constantly and disappeared for days at a time. It took more then 2 weeks of her constantly disappearing and a week after her death for her to be found and at that time all DNA evidence had been washed away from the river and the cops had no case. This is just a sad and depressing story on how nothing we are doing right now is working. If you are an indigenous person in this country how can you trust any part of our system if it failed this girl so many loving times and this is just one story.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Why would any person trust it lmao

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

WaffleLove posted:

Forgot too add "I’ve taken two lie detector tests and passed both with ease" on that list.

I took a lie detector test to prove I took a lie detector test. I’m not lying I did 🤥

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

https://twitter.com/richardzussman/status/967102992540471297
https://twitter.com/richardzussman/status/967103367087579136
https://twitter.com/richardzussman/status/967103866121670656
https://twitter.com/richardzussman/status/967108372804890624

:bisonyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Skytrain and trains in general rule