Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Rygar201 posted:

E+Luden's Will probably kill the caster minons tho

prolly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

Rygar201 posted:

I've never understood this. Her cooldowns are enormous. Do you frequently manage to turn it into a Seraph's?

New Archangel's has 20% CDR on it

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Vermain posted:

Lux is a champ who also really, really needs a lot of mana to throw around due to the relative weakness of her waveclear without R. I'm debating whether Seraph's or Luden's is the better option, but I think Seraph's might still win out simply due to how it lets you barf out E infinitely.

I went ludens first earlier and it felt pretty OK with the new recipe. I think they recognized the importance of Lost Chapter so I'm glad they gave us that even if they axed it from Morellonomeonimc

Action George
Apr 13, 2013
I feel like Lux legitimately has two valid options for a Lost Chapter item now and you just buy that in your first back and then base your finished item on whether or not your opponent is actually presenting you with opportunities to burst them down (Ludens) or if they have kill pressure and you need some safety and E spam (Archangels).

The real answer is to build both and get ultimate hat and the 5% cdr rune and turn summoner's rift into a laser light show

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

strong bird posted:

I went ludens first earlier and it felt pretty OK with the new recipe. I think they recognized the importance of Lost Chapter so I'm glad they gave us that even if they axed it from Morellonomeonimc

Ice Cold Take: Morellonomicon was a hilariously bad item and has warped the space of AP itemization ever since it was introduced, even before Lost Chapter was a thing. I'm glad Riot finally figured out a workable solution for mana-hungry mids who want to build a multitude of items.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Monathin posted:

Ice Cold Take: Morellonomicon was a hilariously bad item and has warped the space of AP itemization ever since it was introduced, even before Lost Chapter was a thing. I'm glad Riot finally figured out a workable solution for mana-hungry mids who want to build a multitude of items.

I'm curious how the change in availability of grievous wounds is going to play out. It's feels like it's in a weird spot where it's going to be less common for ap champs to have it even though it's on an item that can fit into any ap build now just because of how ubiquitous Morellonomicom was.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
The thing is that Morellonomicon also used to only apply when whoever was hit was t 40% of HP, and now it applies all the time.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

curiousCat posted:

The thing is that Morellonomicon also used to only apply when whoever was hit was t 40% of HP, and now it applies all the time.

Yeah, the effect itself is better. I just think it's going to be less common because it's not on an item that was an essential first buy for the majority of ap mids and I'm going to end up trying to explain that grievous wounds is way more valuable in taking down a Mundo then a second item dcap is. The change will probably be most relevant in top lane, where most of the sustain champs reside.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

curiousCat posted:

What full build are you going on Lux atm?

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

i think the prevalence of the term "skillshot" has lead to a serious degradation in how people assess whether or not a character is healthy for the game, as if direction targeted abilities are the holy grail and anything that is not is not a skillshot and therefore does not take skill to use. i know the concept of some things being harder to use than others making them the honourable choice is prevalent in all games, but in league of legends it takes on this weird bend where things have to be direction targeted to be seen as balanced

strong bird
May 12, 2009

pog boyfriend posted:

i think the prevalence of the term "skillshot" has lead to a serious degradation in how people assess whether or not a character is healthy for the game, as if direction targeted abilities are the holy grail and anything that is not is not a skillshot and therefore does not take skill to use. i know the concept of some things being harder to use than others making them the honourable choice is prevalent in all games, but in league of legends it takes on this weird bend where things have to be direction targeted to be seen as balanced

Its a misleading term but it can feel 'unfair' if theres a powerful point target spell in a game where most projectile attacks are aimed

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

pog boyfriend posted:

Oh, absolutely. The number of people who were defending Zoe by saying poo poo like, "Just hide behind your minions," or, "Just dodge her Q," was mindboggling. I generally think that skillshots and the like are healthier than unit-targeted abilities, but champs like TF and Annie aren't bad things to have in the game when designed with suitable downsides.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I remember people defending old AP Sion by saying "just stay out of range of his Q ggez :smugdog:"

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

The delay on the shield makes old Sion consistent with current assassin design philosophy :smugdog:

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

strong bird posted:

Its a misleading term but it can feel 'unfair' if theres a powerful point target spell in a game where most projectile attacks are aimed

that is a really incorrect thought to be had though, and i know you mean that it can feel that way even if it is not, but the game design should not give people the thought that it is unfair that some abilities are unit targeted.

maokais twisted advance, for instance, works because it hits a single person. if there is nothing to target, the ability is useless. meaning: you can use fog of war to avoid it, and gimp maokais mobility, and his mobility is tied to his range to people so he can be effectively kited. whereas a skillshot twisting advance could be used to arbitrarily move forward, adding to general mobility; to say that if it was a skillshot it would be "more balanced" is wrong, because the balance and counterplay of the ability is explicitly tied to it being a unit target ability.

Vermain posted:

Oh, absolutely. The number of people who were defending Zoe by saying poo poo like, "Just hide behind your minions," or, "Just dodge her Q," was mindboggling. I generally think that skillshots and the like are healthier than unit-targeted abilities, but champs like TF and Annie aren't bad things to have in the game when designed with suitable downsides.

the idea that they are healthier is just riot games propaganda. direction targeted abilities have definitely defined league mechanically for the past few years, but they are not the only choice. karthus has his Q, which is interesting because it is point target on a delay, and his ult, which is interesting because it is on an insanely long cooldown and has a long channel time. neither of those would be better if they were skillshots.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

pog boyfriend posted:

that is a really incorrect thought to be had though, and i know you mean that it can feel that way even if it is not, but the game design should not give people the thought that it is unfair that some abilities are unit targeted.

maokais twisted advance, for instance, works because it hits a single person. if there is nothing to target, the ability is useless. meaning: you can use fog of war to avoid it, and gimp maokais mobility, and his mobility is tied to his range to people so he can be effectively kited. whereas a skillshot twisting advance could be used to arbitrarily move forward, adding to general mobility; to say that if it was a skillshot it would be "more balanced" is wrong, because the balance and counterplay of the ability is explicitly tied to it being a unit target ability.

Except a skillshot version of Twisted Advance could just as easily be like Ivern's Q, where it if doesn't hit anything, it doesn't do anything at all.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

John Murdoch posted:

Except a skillshot version of Twisted Advance could just as easily be like Ivern's Q, where it if doesn't hit anything, it doesn't do anything at all.

in other words, turn twisted advance into a very derivative version of amumu q? an ambitious idea, for sure, but then it would have to have an extremely fast projectile time due to twisted advance short range -- and at that point, why even bother? if you get the "skillshot" for just pointing your mouse in the general direction, how is that any different than a unit target? or should you increase the range of twisted advance?

E: and also, for that matter, turning twisted advance into a really fast direction target ability with the same range removes the ability to use fog of war and the brush to dodge twisted advance, making the ability slightly stronger.

pog boyfriend fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Feb 23, 2018

strong bird
May 12, 2009

they should make all the pudge hooks targetted and then subsequently immediately and permanently remove them from the game

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Skillshots are good, but not everything needs to be a skillshot. Good talk goons.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the ap item changes seem to have made karthus a lot better but also made him want to just play as a walking suicide bomb. ive been rushing archangel's instead of roa and its been working out.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Archangels seems a lot better on a lot of characters now and that makes me very happy because Archangels is fun and good.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

1-1 in promos so far. Just got destroyed by a volibear. Wow that was a real bend over and take it moment.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

1-1 in promos so far. Just got destroyed by a volibear. Wow that was a real bend over and take it moment.

Since coming back after more than a year, I had actually forgotten Volibear was even in this game. Unhappy to be reminded

Twist And Pout!
Sep 3, 2011
I've gone against Volibear 3 time since the patch and he's absolutely poo poo on my entire team every time. Down here in Silver no one even knows what his abilities do besides the obvious "throw you backwards" one.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

He is not fun to play against. Just destroyed me and I have no idea how. Does he have awesome base stats most of his abilities seem to be cc rather than damage?

How do you play against him?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

He is not fun to play against. Just destroyed me and I have no idea how. Does he have awesome base stats most of his abilities seem to be cc rather than damage?

How do you play against him?

Volibear's a juggernaut along the lines of Darius and company. If you let him sit next to you and autoattack with his ult up, he will absolutely obliterate you, but he can be easily kited and killed unless he has Flash available.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

Vermain posted:

Volibear's a juggernaut along the lines of Darius and company. If you let him sit next to you and autoattack with his ult up, he will absolutely obliterate you, but he can be easily kited and killed unless he has Flash available.

I was garen so I guess I put this in the bad match up play safer category? Although I lost an early all in which he then snowballed with.

My 3rd death he literally just walked up to me full health under tower and killed me. He was ahead but man that's ahead!

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

My 3rd death he literally just walked up to me full health under tower and killed me. He was ahead but man that's ahead!

Most top laners can do this tho? Right? Like if they're a kill or two ahead

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

I was garen so I guess I put this in the bad match up play safer category? Although I lost an early all in which he then snowballed with.

my honest advice to winning this matchup is not dying in an early all in.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

People don't actually know what's good for them or good for the game? That is a shock.

Matt Lindland
Feb 10, 2018

SHUT THE FUCK UP KEVEN

ALSO GJ BUYING A NEW ACCOUNT LIKE A GODDAMN COWARD
YOU USELESS WHITE NOISE POSTER

YOU WILL NOT ESCAPE THE BOLF RAMSHIELD YOU SO RICHLY DESERVE

now with professional animation

pog boyfriend posted:

Yeah it’s a lazy approach to balance because it lets you pretend like things are fine as long as you can “outplay” someone in a game with a fairly low apm requirement. But ultimately it just rewards lovely sloppy play

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Volibear is pretty gross right now, he’s very very strong

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
https://nexus.leagueoflegends.com/en-us/2018/02/teemos-big-birthday-datapalooza/
HOORAY TEEMO!
H̪͚̣͜Ι̠̤O̙̣͇͙̙̼̲O̥͚̜͉͝R̡̘A̠̤̘̘̭͘Y͓̩̯̜̤ ͕͎̟̜̼͓T̠͈̦̥E̲̜̣E͏̬͙̝̠̞͖̟M͙O͉̣̰̺͕̖̟!͔̫̩̮̼
H̸̴̻̙̦̜̦̤͘͞O̶̟̞̯̥͖̱̺͍͕͖̣̱̫͈͚O̸̸̷̢͔̹̩̭̜̳̪̣̠Ŕ̸̝̮̖̼͘͟͝A̵҉͜͏̰͍̻͍̖̰̳͔̤̺̟Ý̵̢̯͚̳͇͔͈̹̹̳͘ ̶̲̩̪̙̗͟Ţ̵̗̱̩̳̟͉̪̘̗̝̻͓̠́́E̤̖͚̣̕͜͜E̶̲̩̘̼̠̯̹̟̬̹̪̤͜͟͝M̪͖̟̗̮̮̹͉̰̜̜͖̰̩̼̀͜͡Ǫ̘͔͉̙͔͔̫͍̘̲͖̻͙̠̺͓̝͎̕͘!͟͏̹͚̣̗̟̱̮̭Ι̰̯̘

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Praise Teemo so he may be merciful.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

happy birthday teemo!

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

pog boyfriend posted:

my honest advice to winning this matchup is not dying in an early all in.

Oh yeah that was my mistake. But that all in was me with ignite at full him at 3/4 (teleport) at level 3 or 4. I thought it was a good trade but he hits so same hard.

I probably hosed something up but that should be a slam dunk if both sides wanna trade

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Matt Lindland posted:

Yeah it’s a lazy approach to balance because it lets you pretend like things are fine as long as you can “outplay” someone in a game with a fairly low apm requirement. But ultimately it just rewards lovely sloppy play

You sound like you get hit by a lot of skillshots

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

https://nexus.leagueoflegends.com/en-us/2018/02/teemos-big-birthday-datapalooza/
HOORAY TEEMO!
H̪͚̣͜Ι̠̤O̙̣͇͙̙̼̲O̥͚̜͉͝R̡̘A̠̤̘̘̭͘Y͓̩̯̜̤ ͕͎̟̜̼͓T̠͈̦̥E̲̜̣E͏̬͙̝̠̞͖̟M͙O͉̣̰̺͕̖̟!͔̫̩̮̼
H̸̴̻̙̦̜̦̤͘͞O̶̟̞̯̥͖̱̺͍͕͖̣̱̫͈͚O̸̸̷̢͔̹̩̭̜̳̪̣̠Ŕ̸̝̮̖̼͘͟͝A̵҉͜͏̰͍̻͍̖̰̳͔̤̺̟Ý̵̢̯͚̳͇͔͈̹̹̳͘ ̶̲̩̪̙̗͟Ţ̵̗̱̩̳̟͉̪̘̗̝̻͓̠́́E̤̖͚̣̕͜͜E̶̲̩̘̼̠̯̹̟̬̹̪̤͜͟͝M̪͖̟̗̮̮̹͉̰̜̜͖̰̩̼̀͜͡Ǫ̘͔͉̙͔͔̫͍̘̲͖̻͙̠̺͓̝͎̕͘!͟͏̹͚̣̗̟̱̮̭Ι̰̯̘

Hell yeah

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

pog boyfriend posted:

E: and also, for that matter, turning twisted advance into a really fast direction target ability with the same range removes the ability to use fog of war and the brush to dodge twisted advance, making the ability slightly stronger.

On top of that you could go untargetable whenever without risking going in melee with an enemy, that'd be both derivative and a significant buff.

Definitely agree it's a great example of a point and click with counterplay /interesting decisions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
I love that a quarter of all Teemo games are played using PTSDmo.