Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...eaking-news-bar

:toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I want Donnie and everyone in his orbit brought down hard. I hope whatever deal Manafort eventually makes doesn't get him anything less than 20 years in prison. Piece of poo poo has done more damage to the world than we'll probably ever know.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

DaNerd posted:

http://abc7amarillo.com/news/local/amarillo-homeless-shelter-gunman-situation-leaves-one-shot-another-in-custody

Same day as Parkland a guy in Texas tried to take hostages at a homeless shelter. Someone else wrestles the gun away from the hostage taker and the police roll up and shoot him.

One of my uncles lives at that shelter. He wasn't the original gunman or the good samaritan that got shot, though. This was literally just a homeless guy snapping and threatening a bunch of other homeless people and a few people at the shelter's church, so it didn't get big news.

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Petting Mao right now.

good.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Feb 23, 2018

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
It's gonna be fun when Trump leaves CPAC, comes down off the sugar high, then gets pissed off all weekend when the news just wants to talk about the students and the Gates plea.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

facialimpediment posted:

It's gonna be fun when Trump leaves CPAC, comes down off the sugar high, then gets pissed off all weekend when the news just wants to talk about the students and the Gates plea.

"Gates was NEVER a part of my campaign, I don't even know who he is!" - Future Trump Tweet

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
fully expecting a 'the president's son was only a minor son, he served a symbolic role' to be said in a press briefing at some point

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

facialimpediment posted:

No that's all wrong didn't you hear him proclaim the fake news media would talk about the one heckler at CPAC who politely left without being asked?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Godholio posted:

So...what's the solution?

One you won't like.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

https://twitter.com/sarahchad_/status/966924331086266369

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

It really is like watching the Harlem Globetrotters just make dunk after dunk.

So here's the Missouri GOP's response to their governor being arrested for felony blackmail.

https://twitter.com/MissouriGOP/status/967064144766816257

https://twitter.com/oneunderscore__/status/967073286478811136

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Handsome Ralph posted:

It really is like watching the Harlem Globetrotters just make dunk after dunk.

So here's the Missouri GOP's response to their governor being arrested for felony blackmail.

https://twitter.com/MissouriGOP/status/967064144766816257

https://twitter.com/oneunderscore__/status/967073286478811136

Is the next person in line for governor a democrat or something?

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
Isn’t MO the state where the AD assigned the governor a public defender case?

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

CommieGIR posted:

I suggest you look up Tumble Effect and why the US military chose the 5.56 round. They are totally meant to kill.

https://www.wired.com/2016/06/ar-15-can-human-body/

And even worse: They are meant to damage you in ways that make surgery almost impossible and recovery unlikely.

I worked ammo for 4-5 years so most of it stayed with. I completely remember going through red stone and having he instructor explain how it bounces around in your body like flubber. It can kill, but it wounds more often than not.

We are on he same page, I might have just fudged a small detail or two.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Lethal wounding is still killing.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

The design was to injure not kill because injured combatants take way more resources up than just straight killing someone.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
poo poo doesn't bounce around, it fucks you up because the energy and shockwave of the round opens up a big temporary cavity.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

Lethal wounding is still killing.

Absolutely, I was using it more as instantaneous killing but completely right.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Soulex posted:

Absolutely, I was using it more as instantaneous killing but completely right.

Fair enough.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Again with the dog metaphors.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Was some report I saw in academy about AR being less than ideal for shooting small kids because there’s not enough meat for the bullets to slop around in before it exits.

Heartening.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Slim Pickens posted:

poo poo doesn't bounce around, it fucks you up because the energy and shockwave of the round opens up a big temporary cavity.

i read this as temporal cavity and for a moment wanted to know where in time parts of you went

crazyivan45
Apr 30, 2008
Depending on who’s steering the hamsters in trumps brain I think there’s a 50/50 chance he says the Parkland shooting was fake news and all the kids are crisis actors and there was no shooting your the shooting next week

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

crazyivan45 posted:

Depending on who’s steering the hamsters in trumps brain I think there’s a 50/50 chance he says the Parkland shooting was fake news and all the kids are crisis actors and there was no shooting your the shooting next week

I've been wondering who has been Wormtongue-ing this 'more guns for the teachers' stuff into his mush brain. I'm honestly not dismissing the NRA doing it to sell more guns for their industry.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Soulex posted:

I worked ammo for 4-5 years so most of it stayed with. I completely remember going through red stone and having he instructor explain how it bounces around in your body like flubber. It can kill, but it wounds more often than not.

We are on he same page, I might have just fudged a small detail or two.

I smell pog. Anyone else smell pog?

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

LingcodKilla posted:

The design was to injure not kill because injured combatants take way more resources up than just straight killing someone.

Myths propagated by training officers since the dawn of time #78

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

crazyivan45 posted:

I hope he does, because I want to see what depths Trump can sink to before evangelicals and hardcore GOP dump him even though he's their best hope for the rapture/killing the fed.

Like...

Would, calling kids in a major school shooting crisis actors and fake?
Piss tape?
Gay piss tape?
Saying all of are troops are dumb and deserve to die in some poo poo hole?
Saying he is God and Jesus was his retarded son?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Uh the varmint/small game round is actually pretty good at killing

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
If a .50 round even passes within a foot of your body it will kill you

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Defenestrategy posted:

I hope he does, because I want to see what depths Trump can sink to before evangelicals and hardcore GOP dump him even though he's their best hope for the rapture/killing the fed.

Like...

Would, calling kids in a major school shooting crisis actors and fake?
Piss tape?
Gay piss tape?
Saying all of are troops are dumb and deserve to die in some poo poo hole?
Saying he is God and Jesus was his retarded son?

It will never happen. He hasn't attended a church service since he was elected (or before he was elected) that wasn't a publicized political event. If that alone doesn't matter to those people, nothing will.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

If a .50 round even passes within a foot of your body it will kill you

Generally true for the frag rounds we used because they'd murder anything in a 3 meter radius

:smuggo:

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Nystral posted:

Isn’t MO the state where the AD assigned the governor a public defender case?

Mostly. Not sure what an AD is, but the head public defender for Missouri appointed the governor (who was also a lawyer) to a PD case.
This was 2016, so the previous governor.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Rick Gates's plea agreement hearing is scheduled for 2pm et

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I smell pog. Anyone else smell pog?

It’s GiP. That’s what it smells like here. poo poo

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I'm a POG and these are the things I know about 5.56

• louder than the movies made it seem
  • smaller than I thought
  • seems like it would suck to get shot with
  • It is the primary round of the US armed forces, and we have killed between 150-450k people in OIF.

These are the things I know about most experts in the army

• rely on anecdotes instead of testing and experience
  • way full of poo poo

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Feb 23, 2018

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

joat mon posted:

Mostly. Not sure what an AD is, but the head public defender for Missouri appointed the governor (who was also a lawyer) to a PD case.
This was 2016, so the previous governor.

I meant DA but was referring to the PD. Thank you.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Wasabi the J posted:

• way full of poo poo

I heard we can't shoot someone with a Barrett .50, because of the Geneva Revelations! We have to shoot 'em in the canteen or helmet!

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

called my sister up

he was in full-blown psychosis. the hospital had discharged him from the mental health ward against his wishes.

he facebook live'd the crash.

sucks because he was the dude who would call my sis and badger her into going to AA meetings with him.

Yeah seeing that Facebook live video circulating yesterday felt awful. I don’t know if they’ve taken it down since? Turns out I knew a lot of people who had interacted with the guy at some point.

M_Gargantua fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Feb 23, 2018

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

BigDave posted:

I heard we can't shoot someone with a Barrett .50, because of the Geneva Revelations! We have to shoot 'em in the canteen or helmet!

Thank you for making the eye twitch and headache come back. All the time and energy I've had to spend fighting this particular piece of stupid...

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Several organizations who currently offer NRA-tied promotions and discounts are distancing themselves from the group.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/22/business/nra-visa-card.html

Florida governor and top lawmakers back a proposal to raise the gun-buying age to 21
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/23/us/florida-gun-control.html

It seems as if there is something of a shift going on in the national discourse here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Wasabi the J posted:

I'm a POG and these are the things I know about 5.56

• louder than the movies made it seem
  • smaller than I thought
  • seems like it would suck to get shot with
  • It is the primary round of the US armed forces, and we have killed between 150-450k people in OIF.

• way full of poo poo

To be honest, a lot of people get their information anecdotally. Like the Geneva convention thing below. I used to believe that but was never taught it, just told it. I moved a lot of ammo in Iraq though. I’m not calling myself an expert though because I have not done it for years and years. Most of my facts (like the 8 or so types of 556 ammo) are probably obsolete or need updating

You teach someone a lot and then sneak in an opinion thing or whatever, they’ll take it as gospel

We had an old SGM that still called us 55Bs and refused to open new texts on ammo and poo poo. He was an odd character.

I’m sure the other ammo guy could say something too, but he ain’t gotta. I also am pretty sure you weren’t calling me out either.

• Locked thread