Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Krankenstyle posted:

controlled facial degloving

Did not need to know that phrase...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I posted a video a while back in the Schadenfreude thread about flightsuit guys loving up and crashing and one guy managed to deglove his thighs.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Shai-Hulud posted:

I was just thinking this exact same thing.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I posted a video a while back in the Schadenfreude thread about flightsuit guys loving up and crashing and one guy managed to deglove his thighs.

No.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Shai-Hulud posted:

actually, mods namechange pls

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Krankenstyle posted:

actually, mods namechange pls

No.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

RagnarokAngel posted:

That was always there. Luke's body language of fighting with 2 hands and being aggressive, while Vader fights 1 handed and just deflects every attack, not even bothering to take the offensive until later in the fight.

Its a good subtle movie moment.

During the third phase of the duel Vader clearly lost his patience and just went crazy on Luke. He dives in out of nowhere and starts making vicious two handed swings in stark opposition to his earlier moves. It's a three punch combo. First he shows how Luke's lack of patience cannot hope to win against Vader's calculated defense. Then he shows his dominance in force mastery by whacking Luke around with boxes, and then finally he channels his inner rage and aggression into a wrecking ball Luke's own aggression could never stand up to.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

youre not my mod

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Shai-Hulud posted:

You've never watched the seminal masterpiece Face/Off?

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
Saw Black Panther for a second time and realised the intro sequence with the little boy asking to hear the story of where they come from, followed by the animated explanation of how Wakanda came to be is Erik asking his father. It's the beginning of him learning to hate his people for hiding and being passive while the world around them found new ways to be terrible.

I loving loved this movie.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Shai-Hulud posted:

One of the earliest shows I remember watching with my family on the Learning Channel back in the 90s was a surgery program where they went super in depth on this one girl's skull and face surgery that basically involved sliding her face down like a rubber mask.

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene
Dunno if it's necessarily subtle, but I appreciated a moment in John Dies at the End. I liked that instead of going with the whole "We are Legion" thing that most movies go with when you have a bunch of demons/otherworldly beings in one host, it chose instead to have a brief conversation.
"So, what should I call you?"
"Shitload, cause there's a shitload of us in here."

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

Where is the Schadenfreude in seeing someone getting mutilated?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Dragonstoned posted:

its there if youre an insane psychopath. the word itself carries no sense of just desserts. its just those that are mostly worth watching.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Chef Bourgeoisie posted:

Dunno if it's necessarily subtle, but I appreciated a moment in John Dies at the End. I liked that instead of going with the whole "We are Legion" thing that most movies go with when you have a bunch of demons/otherworldly beings in one host, it chose instead to have a brief conversation.
"So, what should I call you?"
"Shitload, cause there's a shitload of us in here."

thats a decent book imo. the movie cut too much out and felt stupid and crass.....the book is more uhhh, “sincere.”

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Dragonstoned posted:

The other videos in the compilation were funnier, they were a bunch of dumbass basejumpers loving up their 'chutes and bouncing off cliff faces making funny noises. The interview with the wingsuiter was actually pretty interesting, he talked about how he knew he was 100% going to die and all that was left was to choose whether he went slow or fast, and also about the euphoria he experienced as he felt his body shutting down.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3747078&pagenumber=726&perpage=40#post468973243

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
can we please talk about cool movie things and not descriptions of horrible graphic injuries

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

flatluigi posted:

can we please talk about cool movie things and not descriptions of horrible graphic injuries

Mr. Blonde's Reservoir Dogs ear cutting scene was pretty subtle.

And horribly graphic.

You know what? Speaking of horrible injuries, Christ, I watched Netflix Punisher and loved it but god drat when did Frank Castle get Wolverine healing powers?

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

You know what? Speaking of horrible injuries, Christ, I watched Netflix Punisher and loved it but god drat when did Frank Castle get Wolverine healing powers?

When Die Hard came out and changed the way protagonists took damage.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
More the entire movie but holy poo poo Coco's ending just destroyed me. I always like when initially comedic moments are paid off during the emotional climax and this movie had some particularly good payoffs.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

rydiafan posted:

When Die Hard came out and changed the way protagonists took damage.

In the original Die Hard he took damage and it looked like it hurt. Like Bruce Willis’ ability to look bloody is his best acting skill. I’m not sure you can blame protagonist invulnerability on him.

Then again there was that one film where he was dead most of it and no one noticed.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

BioEnchanted posted:

More the entire movie but holy poo poo Coco's ending just destroyed me. I always like when initially comedic moments are paid off during the emotional climax and this movie had some particularly good payoffs.

I haven't seen it but we did surveys of movies in class and it seems to be the new favorite of many of my students.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

marshmallow creep posted:

I haven't seen it but we did surveys of movies in class and it seems to be the new favorite of many of my students.

It's good. The last movie to hit me anywhere near that hard was Paranorman, which I still cannot watch without crying during the climax. When I showed it to a friend, he cried there too.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

BiggerBoat posted:

Mr. Blonde's Reservoir Dogs ear cutting scene was pretty subtle.

And horribly graphic.

Is this a reference to how people swear they saw something really hosed up, when Tarantino actually deliberately pointed the camera at the ceiling and the audience saw nothing?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Something interesting I noticed a few years ago watching the original Disney Beauty and the Beast was that under the beasts animation in certain frames he actually looks a lot like the prince Adam as realised at the end of the film, largely with how the bridge of his snout often forms a similar silhouette to Adam's nose. I thought that that was kind of interesting. It's a complete transformation but still based on the structure of his original face.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

The moral of Beauty and the Beast seems to be "don't be a jerk to strangers, because some of them are bigger jerks with magic and a seething hatred of servants". The whole "don't judge a book by its cover" theme is very secondary.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Put it more simply, "Fairies are assholes."

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Mister Mind posted:

Is this a reference to how people swear they saw something really hosed up, when Tarantino actually deliberately pointed the camera at the ceiling and the audience saw nothing?

well, theres the part where he plays with the severed ear.

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

Krispy Wafer posted:

What exactly is Immortan Joe's facemask? I mean it's a respirator I guess, but he can open the mouth and when it's pulled off it takes a big chunk of his face with it - which isn't how facemasks work. If he wore it all the time I could maybe understand that, but they show him putting it on in the morning.

I think the supplemental texts mention something about how Joe doesn't need the respirator, but he and his sons all have breathing apparatuses so that they can have pure, clean air--another way to set themselves on a higher tier than the common folk.

But yes, it is also obviously an intimidation/coolness thing, like the fake muscle armor.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Patattack posted:

I think the supplemental texts mention something about how Joe doesn't need the respirator, but he and his sons all have breathing apparatuses so that they can have pure, clean air--another way to set themselves on a higher tier than the common folk.

But yes, it is also obviously an intimidation/coolness thing, like the fake muscle armor.

I heard the armor described as bulletproof plexiglass. Similar to his windshield. Which kinda sorta explains why the old lady maybe didn't shoot him with her shotgun at the beginning.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
We were have our regularly scheduled bi-weekly argument about Man Of Steel in CD and I went back and watched some scenes and was reminded of some subtle moments:

The scenes from his childhood that are interspersed throughout the film aren't flashbacks, they're the memories that he's experiencing in the present. (Sidenote: the very first memory is of Martha Kent instructing him to find a "quiet place in the ocean" if the world gets too much for him to bear. He tried to do do that literally by getting a job on a deep sea fishing trawler but it didn't work out. We're shown that he's trying to follow his parents' advice as best he can but it's not working out for him.)
(Sidenote to the sidenote: Clark is interrupted from his contemplation when he notices two whales swimming nearby. Specifically, his memory about his mother calling to him in a quiet, soothing voice is interrupted by a mother whale calling to its calf with quiet, soothing whalesong. It turns out that Martha's advice was true for someone.)

I'm not really a fan of the film or the DCEU films in general but I have to admit it had a lot of subtle moments like those.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

food court bailiff posted:

The moral of Beauty and the Beast seems to be "don't be a jerk to strangers, because some of them are bigger jerks with magic and a seething hatred of servants". The whole "don't judge a book by its cover" theme is very secondary.

These quotes are in my mind because Nancy Pelosi recently spent 8 hours lecturing on the status of the DREAMERS in the House, and she quoted the parable of the sheep and the goats.

Book of Matthew, the bible. posted:

31When the Son of Man comes in His glory, and all the angels with Him, He will sit on His glorious throne. 32All the nations will be gathered before Him, and He will separate the people one from another, as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33He will place the sheep on His right and the goats on His left.

34Then the King will say to those on His right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. 35For I was hungry and you gave Me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave Me something to drink, I was a stranger and you took Me in, 36I was naked and you clothed Me, I was sick and you looked after Me, I was in prison and you visited Me.’

37Then the righteous will answer Him, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry and feed You, or thirsty and give You something to drink? 38When did we see You a stranger and take You in, or naked and clothe You? 39When did we see You sick or in prison and visit You?’

40And the King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of Mine, you did for Me.’

41Then He will say to those on His left, ‘Depart from Me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42For I was hungry and you gave Me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave Me nothing to drink, 43I was a stranger and you did not take Me in, I was naked and you did not clothe Me, I was sick and in prison and you did not visit Me.’

44And they too will reply, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not minister to You?’

45Then the King will answer, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for Me.’

46And they will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.”

And the lesson from both is an illustration of the golden rule, a valuable lesson to teach in any story.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

The last couple of things I want to praise about Coco:

I loved the animation on the skeletons, especially Hector. The way he kept reassembling himself during La Poco Loco was hilarious and really energetic.

Also the way the songs were used were great too, they weren't just sung for the most part - they properly advanced the situation, especially during the climax when The matriarch finds her way onto the stage by accident and is practically forced to perform with Hector accompanying - it's not just her singing and Hector playing, she's using her dancing to evade guards on the stage trying to take the important item she is trying to protect away, and then the villain comes in turning it into a duet that turns a tango into a metaphorical and literal power struggle. Such a good sequence.
Honestly I think part of the reason it hit me particularly hard it because it was reminiscent of what my Grandma is going through - since grandpa died she's not as energetic as she used to be and she had to be put in a home to be looked after as she has major mobility problems. She's also losing her short term memory pretty badly, although long term seems to still be intact.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 10:56 on Feb 25, 2018

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Mister Mind posted:

I mean then there's multiple close ups of the mutilated ear hole on the guy who then gets splashed with gasoline

Being effective in film doesn't necessarily mean that it has to be shown, the implication of Mr Blonde's torture methods is still gnarly and gross as hell despite not revelling in the gore

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Case in point: the shower scene in Psycho. You see the knife; you see Janet Leigh; you see the blood. But you never see Leigh being stabbed. However, if you show that scene to a hundred people who haven't seen it before probably half of them will say they did - and oddly, as many as 20 will remember seeing the blood as red when the movie is in black and white.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

ah, like the good old "everyone thinks the Texas Chainsaw Massacre was gory even though it wasn't" thing.

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
still makes me laugh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-bvHlb2Fe8

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

ah, like the good old "everyone thinks the Texas Chainsaw Massacre was gory even though it wasn't" thing.

I picked up the Shudder channel on Amazon Prime and while scrolling through the movies saw Faces of Death and thought, "huh, I never did rent that when I was a kid." 2 minutes into it, "nope, no, not going to happen."

And yes, I know about half of it is supposed to be fake, but I'm not really interested in trying to figure out which half.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Krispy Wafer posted:

I picked up the Shudder channel on Amazon Prime and while scrolling through the movies saw Faces of Death and thought, "huh, I never did rent that when I was a kid." 2 minutes into it, "nope, no, not going to happen."

And yes, I know about half of it is supposed to be fake, but I'm not really interested in trying to figure out which half.

it's a movie, it's all fake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

I, Butthole posted:

it's a movie, it's all fake

wikipedia posted:

In their book Killing for Culture, authors David Kerekes and David Slater note that the nadir of the movie is the inclusion of an extreme fatal accident; "the shattered remains of a cyclist are seen under a semi-tractor trailer. The camera pans long enough to capture paramedics scooping up blood clots, brain matter, and clumps of hair from the tarmac – this incident is authentic and culled from newsreels."