Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

https://twitter.com/hsu_spencer/status/967094995214839808

:thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

She shouldn't be watching Bojack shes way to young to get all the 90's references

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

shovelbum posted:

Like they say you can't be racist against white people because they're always the most privileged group and thus fair game but is that really true in the Chinese government?

no, gently caress that dude

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Mo_Steel posted:

so that's what ASL stands for :monocle:

whoa

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

graphic design is my passion

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

:hai:

Woke Teen Vogue was the harbinger of the awaking of the rude teen army

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

shovelbum posted:

Like they say you can't be racist against white people because they're always the most privileged group and thus fair game but is that really true in the Chinese government?

I dunno man, you're the phrenologist, you tell me

Star Phlatulence
Jan 14, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Bleak Gremlin

tenderjerk posted:

I wish I could find a good article I read years ago but it basically said that cops are terrified of being in a CQC scenario with moving people and unknown numbers of active shooters because their judgment skills and gun aim drop dramatically because there is too much chaos to be effective

to increase combat effectiveness, all school gun havers must be on amphetamines during school hours

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

juche avocado posted:

hey, rereading the trump sotu thread and I'm reminded that the your SPARK xcom robotman was given the nickname "GALAHAD" automatically by the game and that sux

any ideas for a new, better one

ROBOCOP

tia

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe
CHING CHONG WING WONG BING BONG- oh there you go pulling the racism card again, it's impossible to have a mature dialogue with you libs

e: AND NOW YOU GOT ME FIRED WHAT ABOUT MY FREEZE PEACH sjws are the real nazis

*goosesteps off, angrily sieg heiling*

Duscat has issued a correction as of 19:17 on Feb 23, 2018

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Prominent state figures have openly cast blame on the Republicans, particularly their hard-charging campaign manager, Jeff Roe, for willfully growing a "toxic campaign culture".[20] The ad that aired early in the campaign mocked Schweich for his physical appearance and called him a "little bug".[20]

everybody's stealing c um town bits

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

I dunno man, you're the phrenologist, you tell me

The dude was obviously dumb and should be fired but I thought racism by def had an element of kicking down, which I don't think is really there wrt China anymore. Hence the fact that you can't be racist against a white person no matter how much prejudiced vitriol you direct their way

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

juche avocado posted:

hey, rereading the trump sotu thread and I'm reminded that the your SPARK xcom robotman was given the nickname "GALAHAD" automatically by the game and that sux

any ideas for a new, better one

Alternatively, CYBERTHUNK

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

sloppo posted:

to increase combat effectiveness, all school gun havers must be on amphetamines during school hours

wait a sec:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2003/jan/04/afghanistan.richardnortontaylor

quote:

Two American fighter pilots facing trial for the "friendly fire" killings of four Canadian soldiers in Afghanistan last April were pressured by the US air force into taking amphetamines that may have impaired their judgment, their lawyers allege.

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...

shovelbum posted:

No that only applies in the West

You can definitely be racist against white people, South Africa is doing it right now

Not that that I have a problem with that, at least based on the sampling of white people I met in the month I was there

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

sandoz posted:

i wonder what chuds think "racist" actually means

a bad thing, that they are not

they think it means actively hating someone for their skin color

they look within themselves and decide, "no, i do not hate ____ because of his/her race, I simply think him/her uneducated/uncouth/ineloquent/poor, and that's an ok reason to not like someone. therefore! i am not racist."

this is a reaction from a culture and society that, for decades now, shames overt racism without any real discussion about what racism actually is.

so racism continues to exist, just not on the surface. these people cannot conceptualize things like implicit bias ("you're saying i am NATURALLY predisposed to be racist because I'm white??? THAT'S RACIST!!!!"); structural racism; or .... really anything other than cleetus firing a farmhand while screaming, "gently caress YOU N-WORD I AM FIRING U BCUZ UR BROWN," as racist

because we haven't... we don't talk about racism except in sociology/related classes in universities. because we've made it a bad word, a bad thought, a thing to be shamed. it is assumed as bad without examination or criticism.

this is what i get at when i sometimes post about academia poisoning: academic terms being used without understanding of their proper context/without any of the academic learning that should come along with them, somehow still carrying all the weight of an academic word.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

the chinese are definitely not innocent victims here but let's not replay the whole systemic prejudice vs. individual bigotry conversation here all over again, the ground is very well-trodden

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

tenderjerk posted:

I wish I could find a good article I read years ago but it basically said that cops are terrified of being in a CQC scenario with moving people and unknown numbers of active shooters because their judgment skills and gun aim drop dramatically because there is too much chaos to be effective

It's really really tough to be successful in the situation. Years ago I was the active shooter for a county wide training program and I was an untrained college kid who generally could take out a few officers every time we ran a scenario. It's a lot easier to not be worried about target background or threat identification in a gun fight

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

:peanut: this is my wheelhouse for serious posting woot

look im white af (slavic & german & swedish woot woot) so if anyone wants to speak from lived experience on this pls do

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

:cumpolice:
Fuuuuuuck

Usa dumb

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

SKULL.GIF posted:

the chinese are definitely not innocent victims here but let's not replay the whole systemic prejudice vs. individual bigotry conversation here all over again, the ground is very well-trodden

sorry :sweatdrop:

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

SKULL.GIF posted:

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

Slavic? White?

U must be American

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

SKULL.GIF posted:

it's not just the fbi, the pigs also did nothing:

https://twitter.com/BuzzFeedNews/status/967099131889102849

I'm appreciating that basically nobody actually cares about Shooter #265,395, choosing instead to focus on guns.

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

It's me, I am the crazy racist European

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

I am not.

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

sandoz posted:

i wonder what chuds think "racist" actually means

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8Zam8cqth8

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

The kids are alright.

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

Daycrew posted:

Slavic? White?

U must be American

lol trap sprung binch

;)

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...

So these are the morons that can't handle their speed and got all the good go-pills swapped out for Modafinil

If it was any other branch, id say they'd need witness protection from their fellow pilots

DryGoods
Apr 26, 2014

Dogs, on the other hand, can connect with that pathos.

DryGoods posted:

if i were smart, i'd have labeled that missle 'Polls'

https://i.imgur.com/H7B73ZH.gifv

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

That DICK! posted:

it kind of sucks that between the Baby Boomers and the Mean Teens millennials will never get a shot at the driver's seat but oh well we had our chance and the teens will be good. please don't own me teens

I, for one, welcome our teen overlords.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SKULL.GIF posted:

You might have to explain it to him since shovelbum thinks a brain-scan can tell you if somebody is evil or not

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

juche avocado posted:

lol trap sprung binch

;)

gently caress!

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/967101698023002113

are they just moving into a building? building a new building? this seems like an unusually quick timetable

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

juche avocado posted:

this is what i get at when i sometimes post about academia poisoning: academic terms being used without understanding of their proper context/without any of the academic learning that should come along with them, somehow still carrying all the weight of an academic word.

I feel like there may be weight to words that originates outside of academia also! Like ppl without advanced degrees aren't just existing in a void of meaning where all they can do is emotionally parrot their learned betters!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/Clay_Masters/status/967091019178299393?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fforums.somethingawful.com%2F

He's running

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

brugroffil posted:

not every shooting is a mass shooting though

but yeah some actual research on potential efficacy would be good

Speaking of efficacy got this article rattling around my head

quote:

In a typical handgun injury that I diagnose almost daily, a bullet leaves a laceration through an organ like the liver. To a radiologist, it appears as a linear, thin, grey bullet track through the organ. There may be bleeding and some bullet fragments.

I was looking at a CT scan of one of the victims of the shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, who had been brought to the trauma center during my call shift. The organ looked like an overripe melon smashed by a sledgehammer, with extensive bleeding. How could a gunshot wound have caused this much damage?

The reaction in the emergency room was the same. One of the trauma surgeons opened a young victim in the operating room, and found only shreds of the organ that had been hit by a bullet from an AR-15, a semi-automatic rifle which delivers a devastatingly lethal, high-velocity bullet to the victim. There was nothing left to repair, and utterly, devastatingly, nothing that could be done to fix the problem. The injury was fatal.

A year ago, when a gunman opened fire at the Fort Lauderdale airport with a 9mm semiautomatic handgun, hitting 11 people in 90 seconds, I was also on call. It was not until I had diagnosed the third of the six victims who were transported to the trauma center that I realized something out-of-the-ordinary must have happened. The gunshot wounds were the same low velocity handgun injuries as those I diagnose every day; only their rapid succession set them apart. And all six of the victims who arrived at the hospital that day survived.

A year ago, when a gunman opened fire at the Fort Lauderdale airport with a 9mm semiautomatic handgun, hitting 11 people in 90 seconds, I was also on call. It was not until I had diagnosed the third of the six victims who were transported to the trauma center that I realized something out-of-the-ordinary must have happened. The gunshot wounds were the same low velocity handgun injuries as those I diagnose every day; only their rapid succession set them apart. And all six of the victims who arrived at the hospital that day survived.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2018/02/what-i-saw-treating-the-victims-from-parkland-should-change-the-debate-on-guns/553937/

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

Lmao if u don't have atleast a masters cause it was free

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiscountDildos
Nov 8, 2017

Cops called a bunch of times on a dude in Florida for being a MAGA freak, nothing happens, he kills a bunch of kids.

Cops called on a guy in an Arizona hotel because a woman saw a (bb) gun through a window (it's legal to have guns there lol), cops execute the guy in the hallway despite his compliance.

Maybe just don't call cops ever for any reason

• Locked thread