Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

nate fisher posted:

I like to pretend it is a Laura Croft movie.

As Above, So Below is unabashedly a Tomb Raider movie. It is Lara Croft in her very own found footage horror film.

You, the reader, may assign to that statement whatever value you choose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

If you have HBO I highly recommend As Above, So Below. It's like found-footage horror meets Indiana Jones.

I got excited for something new to watch during my regular 2am insomnia kick, but realized I have already seen this one. I liked it.

I started Fortitude on Prime. I doubt I can make it through a series but like the bleak setting and outdoor photography.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Netflix to me is Mst3k and Luke Cage delivery system

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

pumped up for school posted:

I got excited for something new to watch during my regular 2am insomnia kick, but realized I have already seen this one. I liked it.

I started Fortitude on Prime. I doubt I can make it through a series but like the bleak setting and outdoor photography.

Fortitude gets dumber faster than Helix

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Junkie Disease posted:

Netflix to me is Mst3k and Luke Cage delivery system

It bums me out they only have the 15 or so old episodes of mst3k. Thankfully they have a YouTube channel.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Hulu also has about 50 MST3k episodes. Unfortunately you're never going to get a big collection of them in one place (legally) because it's a rights nightmare.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Junkie Disease posted:

Fortitude gets dumber faster than Helix

Yea I stopped watching a couple episodes into second season, and even by then is was pretty much done.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Erebus posted:

Hulu also has about 50 MST3k episodes. Unfortunately you're never going to get a big collection of them in one place (legally) because it's a rights nightmare.

Oh poo poo I never even looked for them on Hulu thanks for the heads up!

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

Erebus posted:

You've got to wonder what the residual check on the theme music for, say, "Prince of Space" looks like.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Cocoa Ninja posted:

You've got to wonder what the residual check on the theme music for, say, "Prince of Space" looks like.

Whatever it is I'm sure they like it very much

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

everything sucks is good. theres a lot of acting at the end so be prepared. its omnly a couple hours long for the season

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
The rest of the Tick episodes for the first season were added to Prime Video.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Pingiivi posted:

The rest of the Tick episodes for the first season were added to Prime Video.
Great, forgot they were coming up.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I have to mention it whenever it is brought up: Dreamcatcher is in a tie with Ecks Vs Sever as the worst film I paid money to see in a theater. It's just...loving dreadful.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Mute is up.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Saw it in theatres, fun watch. If you liked You’re Next you’ll like it

Edit wait what am I thinking of

Unmature
May 9, 2008

And has a 9% on Rotten Tomatoes

thetedster
Jan 31, 2007

A MIRACLE posted:

Saw it in theatres, fun watch. If you liked You’re Next you’ll like it

Edit wait what am I thinking of

Hush?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Unmature posted:

And has a 9% on Rotten Tomatoes

I think we can pretty much expect this from anything big Netflix drops regardless of quality, especially if there's blood in the water because they hired someone with a shaky rep to make it.

e: yeah, I just read a bad review that said nothing concretely negative about the movie and just repeated that it's very bad over and over again. This is one of those cases where the Consensus was decided before the movie even came out.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Yep

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I think we can pretty much expect this from anything big Netflix drops regardless of quality, especially if there's blood in the water because they hired someone with a shaky rep to make it.

e: yeah, I just read a bad review that said nothing concretely negative about the movie and just repeated that it's very bad over and over again. This is one of those cases where the Consensus was decided before the movie even came out.

Yup. Critics have a serious hate boner for Netflix right now and I don't trust anything they have to say.

I'm about half way through and it's pretty good. More opinions to come when I finish it.

Not gonna lie though. With Moon being one of my favorite movies it's a bit disappointing as a follow up. It's far from bad though.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Hush was good. Mike Flanagan is the best director working in horror right now.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

veni veni veni posted:

Yup. Critics have a serious hate boner for Netflix right now and I don't trust anything they have to say.
Mudbound has a 96% on Rotten Tomatoes. The Meyerowitz Stories has a 92%. Wheelman has an 89%. I think Mute's 9% might not be critics with a hate boner because it's a Netflix movie.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
Mute is hot garbage: a tonal nightmare, the comedy is atrocious, the script is pathetic (verbatim quote: "I chopped your girlfriend's tits off, and wore them as earmuffs!!"), the plotting is pretty dull even before it veers into territory best described as catastrophically misjudged, the vague attempts at being kinky are laughable (and not in a good way), the direction is utter garbage (the scene with the tablet is one of the most opaquely, hideously manipulative scenes I've ever seen, something no self-respecting story teller would ever consider acceptable)... I hate it. I was actually enjoying the first 20 minutes or so -- Skarsgard and Saleh are doing some good stuff there -- but every time it cuts to Rudd/Theroux the pacing falls to pieces as it gets drowned in a vacuum of anti-comedy. Detestable. It's not just critics.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Finished Mute and it was...weird. I'm honestly not sure what to say about it at the moment. It was enjoyable (?) but felt really messy and completely bizarre in this way that I can't even tell if it was intentional or not. It's a pretty straight forward romance and revenge story, but the characters, the setting, everything just threw me off in this way I'm having trouble to describe.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
You guys are just critics with a hate bonor for Netflix!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Regardless of how people feel about Mute, it's pretty loving obvious that critics are out for blood in regards to movies deemed "too bad for Hollywood and dumped on Netflix"

Neither Bright or Cloverfield paradox were good, but they weren't nearly as bad as people make them out to be and critics treated them like total punching bags. Mute falls right in line with that. Only in the Mute's case I can definitely see why some people are going to hate it.

I didn't hate it. I'm also not inclined to disagree with anything Allyn said because he's sort of right about all of it. Right now I'm sticking with "it's weird".

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
mute was not good and i was honestly very surprised it was from the guy that made moon when his name came up at the end.

oh you my best friend is a pedo, im gonna kill you if you look at kids, haha now we are best friends again lets gently caress hookers, oh no i the best friend pedo is gonna leave you to die and the last thing im gonna show you befre you die my best friend is me taking your daughter as a sex snack, haha we are best friends.

datajugend fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Feb 24, 2018

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

datajugend posted:

oh you my best friend is a pedo, im gonna kill you if you look at kids, haha now we are best friends again lets gently caress hookers, oh no i the best friend pedo is gonna leave you to die and the last thing im gonna show you befre you die my best friend is me taking your daughter as a sex snack, haha we are best friends.

everything about those two and their relationship and their actions was a total :wtf:

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Mudbound has a 96% on Rotten Tomatoes. The Meyerowitz Stories has a 92%. Wheelman has an 89%. I think Mute's 9% might not be critics with a hate boner because it's a Netflix movie.

I think genre-lovers who liked Bright took critics not liking it too much to heart.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Those loving critics are giving worse than good reviews to my latest favorite schlocky sci-fi bullshit that I'm going to forget about in a week when the next one comes out, and when all of those less than good reviews are aggregated by a website that discards all context and rates every review "fresh" or "rotten," the percentage of "fresh" reviews to "rotten" reviews is pretty low, and that makes people think my latest favorite schlocky sci-fi bullshit is bad! Those critics must hate Netflix. They'd never do the same thing for other stupid sci-fi bullshit movies! Not at all! Those goddamn hate boner critics.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

veni veni veni posted:

everything about those two and their relationship and their actions was a total :wtf:

I liked their bizarre chemistry. I could see a movie solely around them, with Rudd's character having the same motivations, but the tension between him and his friend being for literally any other reason. It could even have a tragic ending for Rudd's character, because in the end he is a piece of poo poo, but without the troubling implications from his friend.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Those loving critics are giving worse than good reviews to my latest favorite schlocky sci-fi bullshit that I'm going to forget about in a week when the next one comes out, and when all of those less than good reviews are aggregated by a website that discards all context and rates every review "fresh" or "rotten," the percentage of "fresh" reviews to "rotten" reviews is pretty low, and that makes people think my latest favorite schlocky sci-fi bullshit is bad! Those critics must hate Netflix. They'd never do the same thing for other stupid sci-fi bullshit movies! Not at all! Those goddamn hate boner critics.

Cool the gently caress down. Jesus. No one said anything like that.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
so I started watching Mute, have about 45 minutes left (paused in the middle to run an errand)

i don't think it's a perfect movie but loving 9% is absurd. i think it's more blood in the water from it being the Warcraft guy's next joint, plus the pedophile subplot being extremely bad, than anything else, but... still.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

so I started watching Mute, have about 45 minutes left (paused in the middle to run an errand)

i don't think it's a perfect movie but loving 9% is absurd. i think it's more blood in the water from it being the Warcraft guy's next joint, plus the pedophile subplot being extremely bad, than anything else, but... still.

9% means that 9% of critics thought it was good, not that critics gave it a 9/100 score on average. The consensus basically everywhere on this one (not just with critics) seems to be that it's below par at best, and even the defenders are qualifying the hell out of it. And there's a lot of people who were pulling for it on the basis of Moon.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
just finished it and I thought it was fine? the pedo stuff was... Not Great but ended up working out a lot better than I expected in the end. i seriously think a lot of critics went in primed to poo poo on it because of Warcraft, the same way Bright caught a lot of leftover poo poo from Suicide Squad's existence despite also being pretty much okay.

e: and its average score is a loving 3.9/10 which... yeah, still seems insane to me? like I'd rate the movie closer to a 6 or 7.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
But that's just your individual rating. If a lot of people have low individual ratings and a few people have high individual ratings, then the average will be low. That doesn't erase that a few people liked it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
also, it just occurred to me that the pedo stuff in Mute might be Duncan Jones working out his feelings towards his dad.

for those who aren't aware, it's... become more well known lately that Bowie was an ultra loving pedo and hosed an insane amount of preteen and teenage groupies in the 70s and 80s. the movie ends with a specific dedication to Bowie and to Jones' mom, along with a general dedication to "those who were parents," and the only part of the movie that really has much to do with that is... the part where the pedo factors in heavily.

i don't know what to make of this, but i'd be curious to hear if anyone smarter than me has a take.

HerzogZwo
Nov 30, 2000
Yeah, there is a lot going on with Mute that is clearly referencing the elder Jones. Cactus Jack wields a Bowie knife, can't get any more blatant then that...So much of it is tinged with the "occupied Berlin" that Duncan witnessed as a very small child. Honestly I wish it was set in the '70s instead of in the Moon universe.

9% is a little harsh, but as a huge fan of Moon this is short of the mark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Lycus posted:

I think genre-lovers who liked Bright took critics not liking it too much to heart.

There were some really negative pre-release reviews of Bright that called it “a new form of hell” and whatnot. When it came out and was pretty-well liked by audiences, the critical reaction seemed pretty over-the top.

I thought it was a fun movie. :shrug: