Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Caidin posted:

What exactly does +infantry damage not apply to? Specials in general?

I'm guessing things like Bile troll, rogers, etc. Anything not man-sized?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I have the same question about what "monsters" refers to, which I assume is not equivalent to "bosses" because a perk description uses the term bosses

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I figured it was all non-specials. There's a +monsters tag, so I was thinking that +infantry was your general mob-clearer and +monsters was your miniboss killer, with +skaven and +Chaos being the other split that covers both infantry and specials but only for one faction. Then there's +marauders and I don't know what that's for.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan
I've also seen +berzerkers, which I don't know if that is just for the one unit exactly, or for that style (ie, including plague monks)

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Giant Isopod posted:

I've also seen +berzerkers, which I don't know if that is just for the one unit exactly, or for that style (ie, including plague monks)
I think I saw a loading screen tooltip that would imply "berserkers" were the unit style, but then I also thought +monsters was the same as "bosses" and I'm totally not sure on that at all now given that they're referred to differently in different contexts.

The training dummies are a good idea but the group knew a full-on Grey Wizard in Ubersreik. Couldn't that guy just summon up some monster illusions to beat on somewhere?

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
What's curse resistance do

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
how do i kill stormvermin in not thirty minutes?

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

Ad by Khad posted:

I think that's the lichebone effect

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Ad by Khad posted:

Probably reduces the penalty for picking up grimoirs.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

Snox boops

A Bug
Nov 26, 2008

MOM GET THE CAMERA!
:potg:

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

Use an axe. Or power attacks.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

Charged attacks penetrate armor and will kill them in a couple of hits even with weapons that aren't great at bashing armor. In addition, there are certain weapons that are more effective bashing armor even on uncharged attacks (usually axes, also 2 handed hammers, for example)

In general if your charged attack is a wide sweep (like kruber's greatsword) you are not going to be doing a lot of damage to armored targets. If you charged attack is an overhead swing (like the 1handed axes, single mace w/o shield, or dual daggers) it will generally be more effective at bashing armor and higher damage in general.

Also if you have a ranged weapon that penetrates armor like most firearms, that tends to work over storms pretty well too.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

did you try hitting them in the head

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

What's annoying is that things like the axe/hatchet still can open armor but there's no indication anywhere in the UI that they do.

That would be really confounding to new players.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Weapons in general are weird af now

The sword and shield's previously 100% CC charge attack has now been replaced with a three swing combo, the first of which is a 100% CC bash like before, and the second of which is a stab that hits a single target for mediocre damage and does not pierce armor. What.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Digirat posted:

Weapons in general are weird af now

The sword and shield's previously 100% CC charge attack has now been replaced with a three swing combo, the first of which is a 100% CC bash like before, and the second of which is a stab that hits a single target for mediocre damage and does not pierce armor. What.

The stab definitely pierces armor. It's the swing after it that doesn't.

Also, yes, this weird 3 hit combo is really throwing off my shield game.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The stab was doing 0 damage to armored dummies and had no noticeable effect on stormvermin health when I used it

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan
Do armor piercing weapons pierce shields as well or is that a whole separate mechanic?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
different mechanic

Coolguye posted:

e: i should be clear. the way shieldbearers work right now is that they effectively have stamina the same way humans do. they'll block anything and completely nullify the attack. when they run out of stamina they bowl over in an extravagant fashion. any time they're not blocking they will regenerate stamina - this includes when they're on the ground.

they seem to take a lot more stamina damage from pushes, and especially shield pushes, but this becomes a real problem with shieldbearer stormvermin, who have a huge amount of stamina and a ton of health to back it up. if you don't have a shield on your side and get them facing THEIR shields almost immediately, you're going to have a very bad time indeed.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Shielded enemies are a new thing for this game so it's hard to tell right at this moment.

It would be interesting if there were weapons that would bypass even shield block like the 2h hammer just bash right through it where a hatchet couldn't.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

Coolguye posted:

different mechanic

So the armor dummies with the shield, is the shield just for decoration and the dummy acts like a regular armored enemy then?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Ravenfood posted:

I think I saw a loading screen tooltip that would imply "berserkers" were the unit style, but then I also thought +monsters was the same as "bosses" and I'm totally not sure on that at all now given that they're referred to differently in different contexts.

The training dummies are a good idea but the group knew a full-on Grey Wizard in Ubersreik. Couldn't that guy just summon up some monster illusions to beat on somewhere?

The Grey Wizard might be dead. The new mission in Vermintide had Rasknitt minions discover the Inn so they found a way around the illusion.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

DeathSandwich posted:

Shielded enemies are a new thing for this game so it's hard to tell right at this moment.

It would be interesting if there were weapons that would bypass even shield block like the 2h hammer just bash right through it where a hatchet couldn't.

Flails.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Also, as far as I can tell enemies blocking is not a 360 degree immunity bubble like it is for players. If you can get around the blocker and stab him in the rear end it'll kill him dead. Presumably that's the edge case for Shade Kerillian and he stealth /backstabbing mechanic

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

MonsterEnvy posted:

The Grey Wizard might be dead. The new mission in Vermintide had Rasknitt minions discover the Inn so they found a way around the illusion.

Yeah, but the team still has a grey wizard as the mission briefing for seeds of corruption outright states that Olesya is one.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

I dont know posted:

Yeah, but the team still has a grey wizard as the mission briefing for seeds of corruption outright states that Olesya is one.

True enough, but she might not know how to create illusion training dummies.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Also weird question about weapons: If a weapon has a trait +% vs Armored but the weapon doesn't normally get around armor how does that work exactly?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Mendrian posted:

Also weird question about weapons: If a weapon has a trait +% vs Armored but the weapon doesn't normally get around armor how does that work exactly?

What is +100% of 0.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Third World Reggin posted:

What is +100% of 0.

Yes, thanks, I can do basic math, I just didn't assume it worked that way.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

DeathSandwich posted:

Also, as far as I can tell enemies blocking is not a 360 degree immunity bubble like it is for players. If you can get around the blocker and stab him in the rear end it'll kill him dead. Presumably that's the edge case for Shade Kerillian and he stealth /backstabbing mechanic

it's inconsistent. stormvermin will block bardin's one handed hammer in a 360 degree arc like it aint even a thing, but yeah, i've seen a couple of situations where backstabbers just dunk on shieldbearers.

i don't pretend to understand it fully but until i do i tend to read their capabilities pessimistically so i am not surprised.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

I dont know posted:

I would bet that Olesya was always the grey wizard and the mission in the wizards tower was just an illusionary disembodied voice while she did her ritual. I mean, the whole thing with her and the innkeeper throughout the game was always that there was a lot more going on with them than they would ever let on, and you only ever seen bits and pieces of the whole story. Waylaid kind of sealed the deal for me that it was always her the whole time that was keeping the inn safe.

Speaking of Waylaid: that mission ends with you falling into the rat contraption and I wonder if there's anything that talks about what happens between that moment and the start of Vermintide 2? The opening V2 movie runs at 1 fps and has no sound for me so it's not like I can gleam anything useful from that.

Should we be thinking about a new thread for Vermintide 2's release? I'm sure we'll be getting new people showing up for that and it would be useful to have a new OP and whatnot to talk about obscure mechanics that may not be obvious to new players like player blocking working on attacks from behind you, strength potions working with guns and bombs, Axes and Hammers being implicitly armor piercing, poo poo like that.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Mendrian posted:

All charged attacks will damaged armored enemies regardless of the weapon's armor-piercing-ness. You'll do more damage to armored enemies on the charged attack.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Just posting to say that launching yourself at a Rot-helm to smack him in the face with a mid-air twin-axe swing and following it up by removing his shins while he's still reeling from the dwarven cannonball never gets old.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Mendrian posted:

Yes, thanks, I can do basic math, I just didn't assume it worked that way.

It's not quite that clean. On the wizard's long sword for instance the first two hits in the light combo can whiff entirely, but the third overhead swing has an armor piercing component to it that would benefit tremendously from +to armored. That last attack, in the light combo.

So the still-not-fully-satisfying answer is "it almost certainly provides a nonzero bonus to at least one of the attacks in one of your combos, but there are probably better traits you could have"

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

I told you azumgi, go for the eyes.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Well. The Grudgeraker certainly works on rowdy crowds of football fans.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

Fishstick posted:

My only real beef so far is the lack of "Damage taken" stat in the end of mission stats. How am I supposed to shame my friends?

Shame them for being a dirty free love elf. Or not having enough leg to reach the top shelf potions. Or for having a common hat with only one feather!

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Mendrian posted:

Yes, thanks, I can do basic math

are you sure

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Theoretically it could convert non-piercing damage into piercing damage and just be poorly labelled. So the +10% armor piercing damage on a 0% armor piercing weapon would have 10% of its damage as piercing armor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

Elf account spotted.

• Locked thread