Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mulloy
Jan 3, 2005

I am your best friend's wife's sword student's current roommate.
Is there like a tech tree of how to build the various super weapons in apocalypse? I assume it's just "Keep doing things in engineering" but I wasn't sure if such a thing existed and the wiki doesn't seem to have what I'm looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Grand Fromage posted:

Fiddling with starbases does seem to be a lot of the game now. I agree that being able to click the upgrade arrow and have it auto upgrade everything on the planet/base would be great. I don't know why some form of mass upgrade is still not in the game after all this time.

I remember some devs mentioning it was a matter of not knowing where to physically put the button. Hell, make it an advanced mode hotkey or something, ctrl U on a planet screen upgrades all. What throws a monkey wrench into things are loving labs, the only buildings that don't have a linear upgrade path. But that could be fixed getting rid of "basic lab" and replacing them from the get-go with basic engineering lab, basic biology lab and so on so the upgrade all button/hotkey would always work and not need any player prompting.

Hell, let me press ctrl U on the main map and have it upgrade every possible thing in my entire empire if I have the minerals for it.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
I understand that a new patch and DLC means a few bugs and imperfections but

this is unacceptable!!!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

theyy lmao.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

"theyy" is the correct pronoun for members of a harmonious collective actually.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Can you land clearance a habitat?

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

OwlFancier posted:

Can you land clearance a habitat?

Nope!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I really wish there were separate unity and tech speed sliders. I like my tech to come in slower but unity traditions to come in at usual speed. MORE SLIDERS.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Random additional question, has anyone actually found a special resource? Cuz I haven't found any on three playthroughs.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Benagain posted:

Random additional question, has anyone actually found a special resource? Cuz I haven't found any on three playthroughs.

They seem to mostly only spawn in nebulas and seem amazingly rare. On my entire explore galaxy map there 1 terraforming gas and 1 teldar crystal. Mapgen really needs another pass. Hmm maybe we need a rare resource slider??

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

Benagain posted:

I have the shield gas but that's the only tech I've researched on my 2.0 game so far.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bugger.

Really trying to figure out the optimal way to play this gaia start, I want all the habitation options I think but I might have to drop one for something else.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

I gave the new Mastery of Nature a try, and while it's underwhelming to only get +1 land on a size 17 world, it is hilarious to enact the edict and see the target planet literally inflate to match the new size.

Did anyone else assume that the +tile amounts would be 10-14: +3, 15-19: +2, 20-24: +1?

ShiroTheSniper
Mar 19, 2009

I see dead arrows.
Lipstick Apathy
Listening to the Stellaris soundtrack on Spotify while working makes me homesick...

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
I feel bad for Wiz and the QA team that everyone on the Paradox forums seems to think they don't test their games. :smith:

There aren't any real show-stopping bugs right now, I think that's pretty good for a release that changes how pretty much the entire game works.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Is there still no way to flag a system to be avoided? Kind of annoying having my fleets wander into AI fleets/leviathans and getting ruined because I occasionally forget to manually shift-click a path around them.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

axeil posted:

I feel bad for Wiz and the QA team that everyone on the Paradox forums seems to think they don't test their games. :smith:

There aren't any real show-stopping bugs right now, I think that's pretty good for a release that changes how pretty much the entire game works.

Yeah I've encountered 0 show-stopping or even really annoying bugs so far. Everything has been "well this interface could be a bit better" or "maybe this could use some tweaking regarding balance" but nothing is broken.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Sheep posted:

Is there still no way to flag a system to be avoided? Kind of annoying having my fleets wander into AI fleets/leviathans and getting ruined because I occasionally forget to manually shift-click a path around them.

I'm pretty sure there is when you're in the system view there's some new buttons on the bottom of the screen, one for claims and one to mark the system no-go.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Note to self: 1.75x wormholes and gateways in a medium galaxy is way too many

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Baronjutter posted:

I'm pretty sure there is when you're in the system view there's some new buttons on the bottom of the screen, one for claims and one to mark the system no-go.

yep that does it

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
keeps my peeps from getting eaten by that fucker ether drake

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

game pls

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Time to run that tech tree up like some nerd's underwear up a flagpole.

I had a game (in 1.9) where I was blocked in by BOTH the Dimensional Horror and the Ether Drake (one after the other). I was 100% immune to attack for a very, very long time. It was the best game.

Edit: you even have two unsettled worlds at least. That's a great defensive position.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Baronjutter posted:

I really wish there were separate unity and tech speed sliders. I like my tech to come in slower but unity traditions to come in at usual speed. MORE SLIDERS.

We’re gonna find you dead in a pile of sliders by next week, you’re addicted

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Not entirely sure what happened, but I appear to be stuck in a starvation death spiral. some giant marauder fleet got paid to invade me, bombed a planet and now i'm stuck at -20 food and -100 unrest everywhere. The pirates are gone, but apparently my civilisation is now completely hosed?

The starvation is causing unhappiness which is causing unrest, which is reducing food output, which is causing starvation...

Is there actually a way to solve this or is my game over?

Edit: Ok I retooled every single one of my starbases to a hydroponics, and as soon as I hit +1 food everyone got happy and my food output jumped to +15. Cool.

Wilekat fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Feb 23, 2018

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Oof, I am just getting rolled hard. There's just enough changes that trying to fall back into habits from pre-2.0 will ruin you. I still haven't quite figured out how quickly and how much to expand, let alone what good modules are for starbases and such.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.

Is that x.75 density? Because it looks perfect for what I want.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Is there a hard cap on science penalty from outposts? Or is it 1% per, forever?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

ConfusedUs posted:

Time to run that tech tree up like some nerd's underwear up a flagpole.

I had a game (in 1.9) where I was blocked in by BOTH the Dimensional Horror and the Ether Drake (one after the other). I was 100% immune to attack for a very, very long time. It was the best game.

Edit: you even have two unsettled worlds at least. That's a great defensive position.

I am a gaia only start :v:

So I'm not actually in too bad a way, it is a good position yes and "heaven's gate" couldn't be a better name for the only way into the core of an empire based around the idea of guarding a literal doorway to heaven.

I managed to salvage some autocannons off a pirate raid (nice little balls of free tech they are, especially valuable on 2x tech costs) and they're basically perfectly designed for cloudbusting, doing +100% shield and +25% hull damage. So my plan is to try and bulk out my fleet a bit and knock those clouds out. I managed to sneak some ships past them so I'm exploring the other side but it's going to be a micromangement pain until I shift them.

Gyrotica posted:

That is 0.75 density and a 4 arm spiral map. 2 arm is a bit more noodly, and 0.5 is very noodly too, it's the best map I've rolled so far so yes it looks good.

Whole thing:

I put wormholes up to 1.5 and gates down to 0.5 too.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Feb 23, 2018

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Baronjutter posted:

Man, I wish I noticed that earlier. I had a game where my empire had two Wormholes, on opposite sides. Each wormhole connected to the other side of the galaxy, and were really close by with a single star system between them. W--{}--W

Unfortunately, that {} system had a stellar devourer in it. So any time I tried to move a fleet across the empire, they would try to hop through the wormhole to take the much faster route. And then get eaten by a star monster. Lost an entire fleet before I noticed the first time, and started manually issuing shift-click orders to avoid the wormholes.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I feel like it'd be better for the game if leviathans and other dangerous aliens were weighted towards spawning in dead-end systems with only one connection. I'm someone who likes to expand and blob out a lot, and if I got a start like that I'd just have to call it quits, but at the same time I like the idea of defensive hyperlane chokepoints.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Wilekat posted:

Not entirely sure what happened, but I appear to be stuck in a starvation death spiral. some giant marauder fleet got paid to invade me, bombed a planet and now i'm stuck at -20 food and -100 unrest everywhere. The pirates are gone, but apparently my civilisation is now completely hosed?

The starvation is causing unhappiness which is causing unrest, which is reducing food output, which is causing starvation...

Is there actually a way to solve this or is my game over?

Weird, wasn't food exempt from unhappiness production reduction at some point? I don't mean unrest, just happiness, it's-20% in that picture. Guess they changed that way back when they changed happiness from threshold based to more granular.

You could try buying food from other empires maybe?

canepazzo posted:

Is there a hard cap on science penalty from outposts? Or is it 1% per, forever?

Pretty sure there's no cap.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

OwlFancier posted:

I am a gaia only start :v:

So I'm not actually in too bad a way, it is a good position yes and "heaven's gate" couldn't be a better name for the only way into the core of an empire based around the idea of guarding a literal doorway to heaven.

Tech up terraforming and habitability and settle them anyway. It doesn't take much to get to bare minimum habitability to put some pops over there. Then build robots everywhere.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

axeil posted:

There aren't any real show-stopping bugs right now,

Well, I've found a few that aren't necessarily game ruining but are definitely irritating. For one, if you build an observation post, an enemy takes the system, and you take the system back, the observation post ends up getting assigned to some kind of phantom sector where it doesn't give you anything and you can't control it or disband it but still counts as part of your empire so you can't blow it up and build a new one. On passive setting transports try to engage enemy outposts in combat by flying around them in circles until they get blown up, and they won't stop unless you manually emergency FTL them. You can't seem to build Dyson Spheres, at all, nothing shows up as a valid location. I had a Marauder declare that he was going to come raid me and instead he blew up 1 mining station and then proceeded to go apeshit through my neighbour's(the guy who paid him to do this) core worlds. I got a message 130 years later that the fleet that was coming to raid me had been destroyed on the other side of the galaxy so apparently I was still on the schedule and they're just horrible procrastinators. The fleet manager doesn't seem to actually work at all. Ship experience doesn't seem to actually work at all. War Exhaustion has to be bugged because I can't believe that auto peacing out of a war you are winning handily is actually intended. Among others. Paradox has a reputation for bugged releases for a reason, it's just something you learn to live with if you play these games regularly.

cock hero flux fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Feb 23, 2018

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Staltran posted:

Weird, wasn't food exempt from unhappiness production reduction at some point? I don't mean unrest, just happiness, it's-20% in that picture. Guess they changed that way back when they changed happiness from threshold based to more granular.

You could try buying food from other empires maybe?

Pretty sure there's no cap.

I think there might actually be a bug going on here? I made every one of my starbases into a hydroponics and as soon as I hit net positive food output, the entire empire instantly got happy and my food output jumped to +15.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

i haven't been fiddling with my starbases much at all. if you keep up with your fleet there's no need to have ultra-forts everywhere, just near neighbors you're a bit nervous about fighting. keep upgraded starbases that you capture, reconvert them into trading hubs and anchorages as your borders expand away from them. if you're growing, then you will probably not have starbase capacity issues; and if you're not growing, you can place them more optimally and place more defenses.

i'm still spending a lot more time on space construction and planet management than starbases; they're not really any more time-consuming than spaceports were, just more expensive.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Incredibly gratifying to see the Prethoryns show up and smash directly into the heartland of one of my big rivals :allears:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

ConfusedUs posted:

Tech up terraforming and habitability and settle them anyway. It doesn't take much to get to bare minimum habitability to put some pops over there. Then build robots everywhere.

Spiritualist :v: no robots. Honestly by the time I get terraforming to gaia worlds it'll be moot. I just need to keep expanding and claiming ground and I can set up a shipyard past the black hole to resupply on the far side.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Gyrotica posted:

Looks like it. That's what my map looked like last night when I played on 0.75x.

It's a bit dicey because you can get bottled up by Fallen Empires and the Leviathans but I feel like it makes things more strategic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

I truly wish the weird background noises from the Crises was classed as an Ambient sound rather than Effect, because I don't want to turn off all the drat SEs but this squelching is incredibly grating to my misophonic rear end.