Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

you realize how annoying it is trying to eat an entire pack of Ugly Things.

I've never realized that, and refuse to imagine a world where that's a bad thing.

It'd like being upset that you have to read all these scrolls of acquirement that you found!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

weirdly chilly pussy posted:

There's a bad version of crawl?

yes, any version marvinPA has editing access to

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Luceid posted:

yes, any version marvinPA has editing access to

Or any version which has had minmays ideas or influence.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

My big problem with purp removal was that it's a balancing effect for races like Ogres, Octopodes, and Felids who can gain a proportionally huge amount of survivability and don't have slots to lose. However, during the tournament I found you generally get at least one or two mut potions by the time you'd be killing sky beasts, even if it doesn't give that same lootbox feeling.

Malmut is still a little unbalanced for melee characters in extended, but it's much less so than gods choice where there are only about half a dozen reasonable choices out of 25.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

Just to clarify, are you actually defending Malmutate, or just criticising the mutation pot changes?
I don't really see what's wrong with Malmutate in its current form. It was annoying when you had Neqoxecs in relatively early dungeon and Polymorph wands on random monsters, but it's now pretty much strictly a very lategame or extended threat, by which point there are ways of playing around or curing bad mutations. It's quite hard to have threats that a strong player character actually cares about and it does achieve that on some level. And it also adds an element of risk to putting together a list of good mutations which I think is appropriate and allows you to put more roulette-type mechanics in the game.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Huh. Sounds like you're in the minority on that.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Wait what's wrong with malmutate in the endgame? Orbs of fire making every endgame character into a horrible mutant is very thematic and cool for the ending of the "get the crazy artifact" quest in a way that other sources weren't. It doesn't affect any given character for very many of their turns - I don't see the downside at all.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I like Malmutate on OoFs, I suppose. Everything else should have it as temp-mal, a la drain.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

So what's a comprehensive list of how the game has been ruined since about .16 or so, which is when I stopped playing? They cut the size of early branches, removed useful wands, what else?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Problems: Many.

Solutions: Play Gooncrawl.

Patashu
Jan 7, 2009
It looks like I'll be contributing to Gooncrawl code, so here's my list of ideas for Gooncrawl that I'd be interested in implementing (of course, Floodkiller will have the final say on everything):

1) Abyss has 255 27 floors (up from 5), getting progressively more difficult but also more filled with loot as you descend. For characters interested in doing megazigs, this is both a different kind of challenge and a way to speed up the process of stocking up on consumables.
2) At Abyss:5 and lower, one-way stairs that have no rune lock and drop you on the Zot:1 upstairs sometimes appear. This lets you do really hard 0 rune runs if you're a masochist. (This was already suggested, but rejected due to technical issues. I'm willing to give it a shot myself to see how hard it is.)
3) Make Orb of Destruction destroy walls again. (Revert https://github.com/crawl/crawl/commit/85f13f00f2816064f2b3d4dc3b800213a65987e2 )
4) Make Noise affect mesmerization/fear again. (Revert https://github.com/crawl/crawl/commit/74fa83487b9e814ef3844030ff294bfa387b1a8c https://github.com/crawl/crawl/commit/dd950056268c814d860a1f2391a004d56d78330a )
5) Steal the changes to Hellcrawl that show damage numbers, contam numbers, piety numbers, enemy defense numbers, etc. I like seeing these a lot.
6) Bring back some items: Stone of tremors, disc of storms, amulet of dismissal
7) Bring back some spells: Dig, Warp Weapon, Repel Missiles?, Insulation??, Fulsome Distillation/Evaporate???
8) Artifact gloves of Bounce Mastery {rElec, bounce} - while equipped, your bouncing spells (shock, lightning bolt, etc) can trizap and quadrazap like they used to. (I think all you need to change is in: beam.cc bolt::can_affect_actor ) (EDIT: How about if it makes orbs of destruction also bounce?)
9) If the first time you set foot in a rune branch is after picking up the Orb of Zot, the rune of zot is replaced with an Orb of Power instead, giving more points. Combined with 2), this means that 15 orbs, 1 abyssal rune is now the highest possible score. (EDIT: The Abyssal Orb could spawn on Abyss:27 during the orb run, since it's not like you can 'pre-clear' Abyss. Then a 16 orb run would be possible!)
10) Buff some weak/dangerous spells by reducing their downsides or increasing their effective power: Ring of Flames, Gell's Gravitas, Song of Slaying, Alistair's Intoxication, Inner Flame
11) If Singularity turns out to be broken, it can be nerfed (probably by making it so it doesn't affect anything you can't see, but noise/duration/damage/strength nerfs are possible too)
12) Add some new spells:
- Force Bolt, an upgraded Force Lance - full LoS, bounces/pierces like a lightning bolt, hits harder, pushes further. Not sure what level this is yet
- Orbageddon, lv 9 Conjurations that shoots 8 Orbs of Destruction that explode like IMB on death in addition to their usual effects.
- Mass Dig, level 5 Earth, like casting Dig in every direction at once starting on your tile, digs 3x3 chunks of rock in the specified direction (I like this idea more). Additionally, can dig stone/green crystal.
- Time Stop, level 9 Hexes, that gives you 1+(Spellpower/50) free turns then gives you Exh (which prevents recasting) for a while
- Haste, level 9 Charms. Also, the Haste status gives Contam again. Sorry.
- Mass Inner Flame, level 5 Fire/Hexes
- The Living End, level 9. Like Dragon Call but spawns derived undead rapidly.
- Summon Boulder Beetles. Unleash the marbles!
13) Inspired by 20XX, add 'skulls', optional modifiers you can pick when the game starts that alter how the game unfolds in some way. Examples:
- Sloth: +0.1 movement delay. No more pillar dancing for you!
- Marked: Permanent Sentinel's Mark
- Swarm: 2x as many monsters spawn
- Legion: Except for D:1, monsters spawn as though you were 2 floors deeper than normal
- Orb: Zot/orbrun effect that delays teleports and makes all blinks random is in effect the entire game
- Harm: As per the amulet effect. Stacks WITH the amulet, if you're so inclined
- Hunted: Respawn timers are back, but now they're durably summoned instead of scummable bags of XP/food.
- Gritty: Item destruction, perma-corrosion, jellies eating items and monsters picking up/using items you've seen return. It's not all bad - Jiyva gives conservation again!! (Item weight would return too, but it means defining a weight for everything that gets added until the end of time, for an optional game mode.)
14) New randart properties, 'reactions'. When you do things like hit enemies and take damage, reactions can trigger and add buffs, cast spells, produce clouds or fire AoE damage around you.
15) Make fountains, sparkling fountains and blood fountains drinkable again (might have to tinker with the odds)
16) Bring back boring beetl... *zzz*

Patashu fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Feb 24, 2018

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i have discovered a massive exploit and i can't imagine how floodkiller's changes might have caused so it may be present in stone soup.

enter a bookshop. hit ! to toggle examining the wares, look inside whatever book you like, examine a spell from the list, hit M

free spells. who even needs vehumet, sif muna, or kikubaaqudgha?

Patashu
Jan 7, 2009

Tollymain posted:

i have discovered a massive exploit and i can't imagine how floodkiller's changes might have caused so it may be present in stone soup.

enter a bookshop. hit ! to toggle examining the wares, look inside whatever book you like, examine a spell from the list, hit M

Fixed by this commit: https://github.com/crawl/crawl/commit/e17c9578eba491880f7565e887d67d99e735948b

Floodkiller will probably have to merge it

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
haha neat

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
gently caress you kid, this is a bookstore not a library! You gonna pay for that?

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I feel like bringing back purple chunks while also getting rid of the mechanic that can punish you for using them to farm up a huge list of good mutations is a mistake.
Feature requests don't have to be limited to things that are good for players! Although I'm stubborn about Malmutate (I massively dislike the concept of permanent player damage attached to a monster ability that could be used on turn one of entering line of sight at any distance without any potential resistance), there's plenty of other potential proposals that could be done to make purple chunks/good mutation lists harder to get. Some examples could be making the chances of a good mutation worse out of purple chunks, or adding more bad mutations to the pool. Feel free to propose!

PMush Perfect posted:

I like Malmutate on OoFs, I suppose. Everything else should have it as temp-mal, a la drain.
I may be willing to leave Malmutate on orbs of fire (mainly because every tweak I make turns them super lethal), and definitely willing to leave the mutate on hit on Mnoleg. I'm still on the fence about what to do with shining eyes.

Tollymain posted:

If everyone really wants this fixed, I can put together a minor version quick for it and other potentially broken things carried over from mainline Crawl. Otherwise if nobody minds/cares, the fix will just be in the next major version (or in the gooncrawl trunk branch this weekend, as I'll likely bring it up to speed with mainline crawl for bug fixes/minor features).

Patashu posted:

It looks like I'll be contributing to Gooncrawl code, so here's my list of ideas for Gooncrawl that I'd be interested in implementing (of course, Floodkiller will have the final say on everything):

The thread has final say on any major features (sans Malmutate), but I'll merge bug fixes/minor tweaks/UI/already approved features for the most part without throwing up a vote for it. I'll throw this list in the feature request survey, which will go up once I finally get around to finishing design discussions. If you feel confident everyone will like the idea, feel free to put in the work ahead of time for something and make a pull request for it. I'll do a separate poll for those (probably combined with the mainline crawl major features poll) and it will be quicker to merge something already complete, but it may not be guaranteed to get in if rejected by the thread.

Speaking of design discussions (all items under underlined sections will also have a "Leave as is" and "Write-in" option on the poll when that's ready to go):
Okawaru rework:
  • Gift rework ideas
  • Animated weapons to defeat/ammo shot at worshipper
  • Carried by god-generated enemies (random placement or a duel)
  • Carried by god-generated peacful/friendly monsters
  • Given for beating god-given challenges
  • Given only for beating hard/unique enemies
  • Gift quality rework ideas
  • Offer three, choose one
  • Re-roll on weapon/ammo gift for 0.0 skill
  • Only generate artifacts
  • Generate unrandarts for (hard) unique kills
  • Heroism rework ideas
  • Scale based on uniques killed (retroactive)
  • Scale based on HD of monsters in LoS vs your level
  • Ammo gift rework ideas
  • Remove ammo gifts, add passive ability to return+not mulch ammo based on invo
  • Piety rebalance ideas
  • Lessen chance for piety for 'white' kills, increase bonus piety for 'yellow'/'red' kills

Hell effect rework:
  • Only trigger hell effects when enemies are visible (unless it is summon monsters)
  • Remove 'no counter' effects (ie paralysis, contamination, etc.)
  • Replace effects with 'hell princes' which attempt to hunt you down and trigger hell effect-esque abilities when attempting to locate you
  • End hell effects after hell lord is killed for that branch

Get in any other ideas today or tomorrow; I'll probably throw up the next set of discussion points on Saturday.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The correct number of floors in mega abyss is clearly 27, not 255

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

The correct number of floors in mega abyss is clearly 27, not 255

27 floors, and the last dumps you into a rune vault.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

if you exit through floor 27 the rest of the dungeon becomes corrupted with little pockets of abyss around

Patashu
Jan 7, 2009

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

if you exit through floor 27 the rest of the dungeon becomes corrupted with little pockets of abyss around

This sounds like a lot of fun, and since Lugonu Corrupt code already exists, wouldn't be that hard to do either

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Yeah I wouldn't have proposed it without that.

Hell if you're worshipping lugonu, maybe you have to escape through 27 floors of abyss instead of dungeon - that's where you started after all.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Floodkiller posted:

I may be willing to leave Malmutate on orbs of fire (mainly because every tweak I make turns them super lethal), and definitely willing to leave the mutate on hit on Mnoleg. I'm still on the fence about what to do with shining eyes.
Okawaru rework:
[snip]

I know that there's been a lot of spitballing going on in this thread, but please do not take one goon's idle comment on stuff like "Yea, heroism is kinda weird, wouldn't it be neat if it was the scent of lilac instead?' as serious as the stuff about malmutate, food, etc. It's a known thing with feedback that voter exhaustion WILL occur, and eventually your google doc feedback forms won't have as many "hell no" or "idk" votes, as those people will just not be voting at all.

So yea, there is nothing wrong with [for this particular example] heroism, it is well designed; strait-forward, powerful yet balanced, and scales well up and down.

On a lighter note, I get no end of mirth thinking about how Malmutate is a cantrip spell used to stop OoFs from melting your face off :D

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Serephina posted:

I know that there's been a lot of spitballing going on in this thread, but please do not take one goon's idle comment on stuff like "Yea, heroism is kinda weird, wouldn't it be neat if it was the scent of lilac instead?' as serious as the stuff about malmutate, food, etc. It's a known thing with feedback that voter exhaustion WILL occur, and eventually your google doc feedback forms won't have as many "hell no" or "idk" votes, as those people will just not be voting at all.

So yea, there is nothing wrong with [for this particular example] heroism, it is well designed; strait-forward, powerful yet balanced, and scales well up and down.

On a lighter note, I get no end of mirth thinking about how Malmutate is a cantrip spell used to stop OoFs from melting your face off :D

As much I agree about voter exhaustion, I'm also not about to shut down design ideas/contributions to discussion as long as they aren't something completely off-topic (even if some of them are just jokes). Gooncrawl's foundation was about the constant feeling that the dev team wasn't willing to listen to player feedback and ideas, and then sometimes did the opposite of player opinion for the sake of better game design. If you and others in the thread feel that this current voting/design approach (or true democracy) is too much freedom and will lead to voter exhaustion, feel free to start up a vote for an alternate scheme (such as an elected moderation committee for design ideas with democratic voting, elected representative voting, or even single person authoritarian if you feel like it).

E: For reference, I'd expect such a poll to have similar numbers to the initial feature request poll (~50 votes) to be recognized as valid, as I don't want the thread getting turned into a new scheme by a minority population.

Floodkiller fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Feb 23, 2018

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Oh geez Floodkiller you really are trying for this valedictorian thing aren't you, ugh ok just gimmie a minute I'll go smelt your trophy grumble grumble

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007

Patashu posted:

- Mass Dig, level 6 Earth, like casting Dig in every direction at once

If you create an upgraded dig spell, it should be more like a 3x8 line that starts one space behind the direction you're casting (so it digs a 3x3 space around you too) instead of 8-way. Or even just have the caster pick the shape they need. That would pair up great with a summon mass boulder beetles spell.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Making Crawl Great Again

I can't remember but did we agree that hellcrawl's perma buff system was wicked and awesome? Also, Malmutate on anything except OoF/Mnoleg is not cool. Shining Eyes are a gigantic pain in the rear end and being given the ability to semi-permanently cripple a character because you turned around the corner is not exactly fun or strategic.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
Still say shining eyes should just replace malmutate with shadow creatures.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->

FulsomFrank posted:

Making Crawl Great Again

I can't remember but did we agree that hellcrawl's perma buff system was wicked and awesome?

It's the main feature that draws me to Hellcrawl since I mostly play transmuters/skalds, absolutely.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Patashu posted:

3) Make Orb of Destruction destroy walls again. (Revert https://github.com/crawl/crawl/commit/85f13f00f2816064f2b3d4dc3b800213a65987e2 )

That specific commit annoys the heck out of me, wands of disintegration suck now while they used to be like multitools.

quote:

15) Make fountains, sparkling fountains and blood fountains drinkable again (might have to tinker with the odds)

:five:

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

Devlan Mud posted:

Still say shining eyes should just replace malmutate with shadow creatures.

A haunt-style spell that summons a few high level slimes around you would definitely be thematic and dangerous enough without being as obnoxious as malmutate.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Sparkling fountains were a worse roulette than purple chunks because of the number of bad potion effects that were in the rotation. Also before they gave potion effects there were at least one in the end of Elven Vaults, back when it had -TELE, which could have that effect dispelled by drinking them dry.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Sage Grimm posted:

Sparkling fountains were a worse roulette than purple chunks because of the number of bad potion effects that were in the rotation. Also before they gave potion effects there were at least one in the end of Elven Vaults, back when it had -TELE, which could have that effect dispelled by drinking them dry.

So we have bad fountain roulette to counter the good chunks roulette !! Perfect

e;

Eating mutagenic chunks gives yellow contam :P

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Dip purple chunks in sparkling fountains to get sparkling purple chunks that give you a handful of muts and fountain effects at a time.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

:five:

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Last night i watched a friend of mine lose half of his items to Maurice who wouldnt stop teleporting around the map. He spent like 69420 turns on that floor trying to kill the dude and cursing. It was glorious and then he immediately died to walking into a hydra at the lair stairs.

Just lol

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Isn't gooncrawl supposed to be on CBro?

xdistak
Jul 8, 2003
I'm a huge faggot who needs to learn that money can't solve all of life's problems.
HOPr should start with Beogh in place of Zin

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Akett posted:

Isn't gooncrawl supposed to be on CBro?

Johnstein (the CBRO admin) may have gotten busy and it dropped off his radar. I'll ask about it again this weekend.

xdistak posted:

HOPr should start with Beogh in place of Zin

I left it with Hill Orcs still worshipping Zin since any Hill Orc can join Beogh at the first orc priest now (compared to when Priest was last in the game, where starting as HOPr was the only way to get Beogh before finding an altar in the Orcish Mines).

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hey, in Gooncrawl, the "5" wait is just 1 turn wait as opposed to the "wait till something heals/happens" wait in .21 vanilla; is this an intended change? Do I have some accidental RC mess going on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Teal posted:

Hey, in Gooncrawl, the "5" wait is just 1 turn wait as opposed to the "wait till something heals/happens" wait in .21 vanilla; is this an intended change? Do I have some accidental RC mess going on?

try toggling numlock

• Locked thread