Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

kloa posted:

How does watercooling work if the rad has a smaller heat rating than the expected load? EK's custom loop guide shows a 4C difference if I go with just one large rad vs large+small in the back of the case.

code:
250W heat - 300W cooling (240 and 120 rad) = 30C
250W heat - 200W cooling (240 rad only)    = 34C
I only want to watercool my GPU, as it's a loud blower fan when it is above 50% fan usage and also runs around 89C at load.

It will run warmer and/or you will need to run your fans faster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

kloa posted:

How does watercooling work if the rad has a smaller heat rating than the expected load? EK's custom loop guide shows a 4C difference if I go with just one large rad vs large+small in the back of the case.

code:
250W heat - 300W cooling (240 and 120 rad) = 30C
250W heat - 200W cooling (240 rad only)    = 34C
I only want to watercool my GPU, as it's a loud blower fan when it is above 50% fan usage and also runs around 89C at load.

A GPU will be fine with a 240 rad.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Deuce posted:

A GPU will be fine with a 240 rad.

If a 280 is an option do that. 140mm fans can move much more air per rpm (and thus noise) than 120mms can. I upgraded my 480+240 to a 420+280 with the same fans (ml120 vs ml140) because my new 8700k + asus maximus X formula (VRM waterblock) was jacking the temps up enough the 6x ML120s had to hit 1700rpm to hold +5c delta-T. Now with the ML140s on the 420+280 they hold +4 delta-T at ~950rpm which is much, much quieter.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
First hard tubing job, what a pain in the rear end. Should have charged more

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Good job!

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Don Lapre posted:

First hard tubing job, what a pain in the rear end. Should have charged more

Looks good though!

For tubes like the one you have running straight across from front rad to back rad, sometimes one of those dual 45 degree fittings can "zig" just enough so you don't have to bend the tube.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
Looks really good.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Deuce posted:

Looks good though!

For tubes like the one you have running straight across from front rad to back rad, sometimes one of those dual 45 degree fittings can "zig" just enough so you don't have to bend the tube.

Ohh didn't even think of that. He has tubes left over so might do my own soft tube system.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Thermaltake PSU :stonk: (I guess they're made by someone else and hence fine, but seeing a TT logo on a PSU made me :aaargh:)

Tubing looks great though.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Not what I would have picked but I'm sure it's fine honestly. This line for a good score from johnny

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Wondering if anyone tried putting modern blocks on one.

I wonder that myself. I’m almost tempted to dig it out of the garage and go water cooled again just to see.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

After a couple of iterations, I've finally landed on a configuration that I'm pleased with. My friends gave me some poo poo about the LEDs, but with the side open it's pretty tame.

Pump -> 1080Ti -> EK 240 PE -> 7700K -> EK 240 SE -> Pump
Fractal Design Meshify C with Corsair ML fans

I had a G1/4 10k temp sensor in one of the reservoir top ports but it kept leaking, so I've got an external one taped on it for the interim.

Side off:

Side on with my normal ambient lighting:

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
gently caress that looks awesome, amazing work.

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

NeuralSpark posted:

After a couple of iterations, I've finally landed on a configuration that I'm pleased with. My friends gave me some poo poo about the LEDs, but with the side open it's pretty tame.

Pump -> 1080Ti -> EK 240 PE -> 7700K -> EK 240 SE -> Pump
Fractal Design Meshify C with Corsair ML fans

I had a G1/4 10k temp sensor in one of the reservoir top ports but it kept leaking, so I've got an external one taped on it for the interim.

Side off:

Side on with my normal ambient lighting:

Did you consider any other placement of the rad? I have the same case, but with a full ATX board and an ASUS 1080 and I am not sure how much clearance I would actually have for a front-mounted radiator - Also have the same fans :)

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

refleks posted:

Did you consider any other placement of the rad? I have the same case, but with a full ATX board and an ASUS 1080 and I am not sure how much clearance I would actually have for a front-mounted radiator - Also have the same fans :)

I originally had dual EK 240 SEs (25mm thick), one up front and one up top, but I found that the standard EK 250 PE (35mm) series would fit in the front so I swapped it out to get more fluid volume in the system. I thought about leaving the panel off the bottom PSU enclosure to slide the front rad down further, but it looked terrible. You could probably do dual SEs with an ATX board, there was quite a bit of room left.

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

NeuralSpark posted:

I originally had dual EK 240 SEs (25mm thick), one up front and one up top, but I found that the standard EK 250 PE (35mm) series would fit in the front so I swapped it out to get more fluid volume in the system. I thought about leaving the panel off the bottom PSU enclosure to slide the front rad down further, but it looked terrible. You could probably do dual SEs with an ATX board, there was quite a bit of room left.

Could you actually fit it up top? I don't think I have enough clearance from the RAM.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

refleks posted:

Could you actually fit it up top? I don't think I have enough clearance from the RAM.

Yup! There's a few millimeters clearance, so it's close, but I've got a slim rad up top.

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

NeuralSpark posted:

Yup! There's a few millimeters clearance, so it's close, but I've got a slim rad up top.

Arh okay. So you're running an SE 240 up top and a PE 240 (?) in front? I thought about just putting in a 360 in the front, but you're right, leaving the bottom panel off looks like poo poo, so I might just go for 2 x 240 SE top and front.

Now I just need to measure out how to fit in a pump-res.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

refleks posted:

So you're running an SE 240 up top and a PE 240 (?) in front?

Exactly.

refleks posted:

Now I just need to measure out how to fit in a pump-res.

I thought about doing a res-less system, and hiding the pump down with the power supply but that made tube routing hard, not to mention filling the system.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Finally finished this thing

Thermaltake cases are such low quality

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I pretty much refuse to buy any thermaltake anything. They're all so cheesy, and their water cooling parts are all aluminum, aren't they?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

PerrineClostermann posted:

I pretty much refuse to buy any thermaltake anything. They're all so cheesy, and their water cooling parts are all aluminum, aren't they?

They do sell copper rads now but dont know how the quality is. Zero reason to buy them really. I actually have a core p5 but it feels cheap, but nothing else is the same design.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Don Lapre posted:

Thermaltake cases are such low quality

Looks really great. But yea. I wish they'd make a premium line. I loved the cooling options and liked the industrial look, be good if they were well built.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

PerrineClostermann posted:

Everything they make is loving awful.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Pretty sure this guy I did the build for was gonna do all thermaltake until I talked him out of it for the wc stuff

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Are there any worthwhile pros to moving from fans to watercooling when it comes to dust?

I've got some gnarly allergies, and despite intake fans with filters in my BeQuiet Dark Base 900 and general cleanliness, some dust still makes its way through.

Since my Noctua D14 heatsink is a complete pain to clean, would there be anything to gain by replacing it with a watercooler?

Second, since I currently don't have a new motherboard, my rear fan and Noctua fans probably run at different speeds; how big an issue is this wrt dust and heat dispersion, or does it just serve as a potential airflow speed bottleneck?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Radiators are harder to clean than air coolers.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

ufarn posted:

Are there any worthwhile pros to moving from fans to watercooling when it comes to dust?

I've got some gnarly allergies, and despite intake fans with filters in my BeQuiet Dark Base 900 and general cleanliness, some dust still makes its way through.

Since my Noctua D14 heatsink is a complete pain to clean, would there be anything to gain by replacing it with a watercooler?

Second, since I currently don't have a new motherboard, my rear fan and Noctua fans probably run at different speeds; how big an issue is this wrt dust and heat dispersion, or does it just serve as a potential airflow speed bottleneck?

Radiators aren't any easier to clean. (and in most setups will have a larger surface area anyway)

Set your fans so you have positive pressure and get the case up off the floor.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Deuce posted:

Radiators aren't any easier to clean. (and in most setups will have a larger surface area anyway)

Set your fans so you have positive pressure and get the case up off the floor.
Right now, I have two front fans, a rear fan, and the two heatsink fans, and my Spidey allergy senses tell me that something seems to be whirling up a lot of dust for some reason.

Guess the only thing I can do differently is tweak the fan speed settings automatically for heatsink and chassis fans.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

I mean, radiators are still gonna have fans. The fans are just moving around the air thats already there. Clean your house.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Hmm.

I still can't figure out why it suddenly feels like it's circulating dust everywhere in my room, and i even taped a fan filter to my rear fan.

Using a vacuum cleaner is also pretty useless, and pressurized air just redistributes the dust all over the place.

Are there any small devices for fairly minor amounts of dust with a bunch of suction you can buy or something? I can't carry my computer all the way outside and just spray it with pressurized air every so often.

Allergy loving sucks, man, can barely breathe in the same room as the computer now, and the room was just cleaned meticulously.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Put filters on your intake not your exhaust.

If you have carpet you need to vacuum them. Change the air filters in your house. Buy a standalone HEPA air filter device.

Also yes if your computer is very dusty inside take it outside and clean it.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

ufarn posted:

Allergy loving sucks, man, can barely breathe in the same room as the computer now, and the room was just cleaned meticulously.

I'm sure you know this, but your computer isn't the source of the dust.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Dadbod Apocalypse posted:

I'm sure you know this, but your computer isn't the source of the dust.

I dont think he does...

YET ANOTHER FAG
Mar 6, 2003

by R. Guyovich

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iupm6KkA4WQ

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
So, are AIO's generally considered to be inferior to a good air cooler?

I just got a 8700K (thanks, ebay coupon), and am ready to ditch my old Hyper 212 plus (i realize it'd be fine for mild overclocking). I've started looking at some air coolers, such as the Be Quiet Dark Rock 3, but my case (Coolermaster CM690 II) has a spot up top for a 240 radiator, so I've been looking at AIO's to use that spot. I'd like to hit a 5ghz overclock if I can, keeping noise reasonable, and the AIO's I've seen aren't horribly more expensive than a good air cooler.

I realize AIO's (even in the size I'm looking at) are mostly for bling rather than effectiveness over air cooling, but are they a huge ripoff or a small one?

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Yours is the first post I've ever seen anywhere to suggest that AIOs are worse than air cooling. Even the OP of this very thread says they combine the efficiency of water cooling with the convenience of air cooling.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Solumin posted:

Yours is the first post I've ever seen anywhere to suggest that AIOs are worse than air cooling. Even the OP of this very thread says they combine the efficiency of water cooling with the convenience of air cooling.

I read the first few pages of this thread and got that impression that AIO's weren't as good as a good air cooler (one post saying that it was partially due to water not being as good as transmitting heat as a heat pipe), and if you're going to go water cooling you may as well get a kit or custom loop. It was a quick skim, though.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
The consensus seems to be that the largest air coolers are around equal to 240mm AIOs, and that you need a 280 to cleanly outperform air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

boxen posted:

I read the first few pages of this thread and got that impression that AIO's weren't as good as a good air cooler (one post saying that it was partially due to water not being as good as transmitting heat as a heat pipe), and if you're going to go water cooling you may as well get a kit or custom loop. It was a quick skim, though.

I must have missed those posts. It makes sense there's a certain point where air and water have similar performance.

Personally I'd rather do water because I don't have to worry about air flow as much.