Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

cods posted:

Hi guys, career changer again. Thank you guys for all the advice. A lot of you recommended getting a computer to mess around with. I'll admit being a chef I was able to get away with only a Chromebook and a phone to do most of my work. Like look for something kinda lovely Craigslist and fix it, or go build you own?

Since you’re looking getting into entry level desktop, building your own will be a good exercise.

Just keep in mind that you won’t ever by doing custom builds at work, but the skills you will improve while figuring out why your sound isn’t working, or why your hd didn’t show up when you are trying to install windows will be incredibly helpful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Truncate means byebye. You no want truncate. Did you truncate badly?

On a test database with easily replaceable data, with backups available.

Pretty much the best way to make that mistake.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

The Fool posted:

Since you’re looking getting into entry level desktop, building your own will be a good exercise.

Just keep in mind that you won’t ever by doing custom builds at work, but the skills you will improve while figuring out why your sound isn’t working, or why your hd didn’t show up when you are trying to install windows will be incredibly helpful.

Also sometimes you might have to upgrade components for certain workstations, or replace a component that warranty doesn't cover. For instance we've had the spacer fall out of the DC port in 3 of our new Latitude 5480s, but Dell claims that component isn't covered under extended warranty. So we have to buy and install replacements ourselves.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
This paperclip game is cool. My company, focusing entirely on paperclips, is now 5 times larger than any other company in the world. I also cured cancer (by stabbing it with a paperclip).

Working in IT is fun.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

This paperclip game is cool. My company, focusing entirely on paperclips, is now 5 times larger than any other company in the world. I also cured cancer (by stabbing it with a paperclip).

Working in IT is fun.

I can't figure out if quantum computing is actually getting me anything.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

silicone thrills posted:

You have to click while all of the boxes are black, and stop when they fade to white.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
It's javascript. Open your console and cheat. You'll be done in like 20 minutes.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

silicone thrills posted:

Wait until there's more black blocks than not and click compute. If there's more, you gain ops, if there's less, you lose ops. Higher quantum computing means you can win or lose more when you click compute.

Only thing I regret buying is every tournament strategy after greedy - they do nothing other than make the tournaments take longer, since I'm not choosing anything but greedy.

Accretionist posted:

It's javascript. Open your console and cheat. You'll be done in like 20 minutes.
Captain fun over here

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Thanks y'all for the sanity check earlier. Brought it up to my CFO and mentioned the cost of the home office and he was immediately like "hm gently caress that actually" :toot:

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Captain fun over here

Efficiency is its own fun. For example, I just used a for loop to raise the price to $100/clip in one go.

You guys would be, like, clicking a whole bunch or something.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Wait until there's more black blocks than not and click compute. If there's more, you gain ops, if there's less, you lose ops. Higher quantum computing means you can win or lose more when you click compute.

Only thing I regret buying is every tournament strategy after greedy - they do nothing other than make the tournaments take longer, since I'm not choosing anything but greedy.

Captain fun over here

Ahh yep. surprised it too much so long to figure out (well i've been running around and working with vendors.) but seriously, I just restarted because I realized that buying the tournament strategies is a waste.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Kashuno posted:

Thanks y'all for the sanity check earlier. Brought it up to my CFO and mentioned the cost of the home office and he was immediately like "hm gently caress that actually" :toot:

Good man.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

silicone thrills posted:

Ahh yep. surprised it too much so long to figure out (well i've been running around and working with vendors.) but seriously, I just restarted because I realized that buying the tournament strategies is a waste.

The rewards get significantly larger the more strategies are being used.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

silicone thrills posted:

Don't start over again no matter what, this poo poo gets hilarious, play it through

Harnessing drone flock...

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Don't start over again no matter what, this poo poo gets hilarious, play it through

Harnessing drone flock...

Current productivity: 0

its worth it

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Left screen, SA. Center screen, paper clip empire. Right screen, vSphere Optimize and Scale 6.5 on demand course. I'm happy with how my life turned out.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

bitterandtwisted posted:

Knowing shortcuts that fat fingered users might hit is useful. Looking at you, ctrl+win+C :mad:

One of my first tickets when I started working desktop support was someone who accidentally hit the key combo to flip their screen upside down, and they were just at a complete loss as to what happened or why or how. It owned.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Methanar posted:

Current productivity: 0

its worth it

:same:

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Yeah, This game is great.
Last time it was brought up in the thread. I stopped when it went into space. Does it continue from there?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Shortcut chat: Win+Shift+S changed my life

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Thanks Ants posted:

Omg, You are my hero.
This is incredibly handy.

e: thants!

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Kashuno posted:

Definitely the point. If you want new equipment that's outside of the standard, you better have a drat good reason. A reason that is good enough to have an executive spend their time listening to why you think it's worth it.

You are all absolutely wrong about this.

The executive needs to delegate the power and final no to a manager who handles desktop level things and is trusted to use their own logic and sense and budgetary considerations to approve or deny requests.

An executive listening to a long-winded justification for why $1000 should be spent, when that decision can absolutely be logically made by an empowered manager, is 100% wasting their time.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Thanks Ants posted:

meh... I still like my alt+printscreen

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

My company's stock price, circled is when I resigned :laffo:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

CLAM DOWN posted:

My company's stock price, circled is when I resigned :laffo:

So now is a good time to buy?

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

AlternateAccount posted:

The executive needs to delegate the power and final no to a manager who handles desktop level things and is trusted to use their own logic and sense and budgetary considerations to approve or deny requests.

An executive listening to a long-winded justification for why $1000 should be spent, when that decision can absolutely be logically made by an empowered manager, is 100% wasting their time.

That executive needs to sit down and take the time to make said policy, and also impress upon others in the company that said manager actually has the power to say no. Otherwise you're going to get managers in other departments get their executives to override that manager. In which case you're back to bothering the original executive. So I'm going to say you're wrong to call everyone wrong, because you have no (and realistically, can have no) definitive knowledge of the structure and political climate of every company.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

AlternateAccount posted:

It’s not a math problem, there’s no absolutely correct or incorrect answer.

YOLOsubmarine fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Feb 23, 2018

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
We work in IT, so someone is going to say 42 and think it's fresh and witty. I work with at least 2 people who would find that hilarious.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Avenging_Mikon posted:

That executive needs to sit down and take the time to make said policy, and also impress upon others in the company that said manager actually has the power to say no. Otherwise you're going to get managers in other departments get their executives to override that manager. In which case you're back to bothering the original executive. So I'm going to say you're wrong to call everyone wrong, because you have no (and realistically, can have no) definitive knowledge of the structure and political climate of every company.

Alright, fair enough, but there were a lot of people that seemed to really think that referring these requests to an executive was correct. There are not too many organizations where it makes sense to do that.

And yes, doing it the "right way" relies on some good leadership all the way down, which is less common than it should be. But generally don't bother your executives with non-strategic or non-policy decisions that are one-offs or otherwise goofy. If your exec won't delegate the power to do to do your job on the day-to-day basis, fine, refer everything to them until they get the point.

I might be spoiled, because my VP basically operates this way.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

We work in IT, so someone is going to say 42 and think it's fresh and witty. I work with at least 2 people who would find that hilarious.

I enjoy seeing references to 42 and don’t see them often enough.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

The Fool posted:

I enjoy seeing references to 42 and don’t see them often enough.

404 humor not found. heh get it... cause of the HTTP thing.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Sefal posted:

Yeah, This game is great.
Last time it was brought up in the thread. I stopped when it went into space. Does it continue from there?
You were only a few paradigm shifts from the end! Not even joking, there's an actual end and it's pretty good narratively.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

With Greenshot (and presumably others) you can just tie Printscreen to taking a selectable screenshot like this instead of the whole screen that's the Windows default.

I'd crow about fewer keystrokes except on my keyboard Printscreen is accessed by holding down a function key so... eh.

But you can also have it autosave somewhere or pop up a menu to choose what to do with it (save or upload to a local dest or one of a billion online services), or open in the image editor to add lines/arrows/text/obfuscation. Sure Snipping Tool does most of that as well, but it's slightly more steps.

Also Greenshot doesn't gray out the screen, has a magnifying glass under the selecting cursor, vertical and horizontal guides going across the screen out from the selecting cursor to show you where you're cutting, blah blah.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

DACK FAYDEN posted:

You were only a few paradigm shifts from the end! Not even joking, there's an actual end and it's pretty good narratively.
If he'd slowed the game down 1000x, added a GUI, added achievements, and put a monthly subscription on it, he'd be set for life.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I have greenshot installed so it's just Printscreen and superior than basic windows screen shots.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I use ShareX and have "Capture Region" set to Ctrl-Shift-R

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

cods posted:

Hi guys, career changer again. Thank you guys for all the advice. A lot of you recommended getting a computer to mess around with. I'll admit being a chef I was able to get away with only a Chromebook and a phone to do most of my work. Like look for something kinda lovely Craigslist and fix it, or go build you own?

Spend $5 and buy a vps. No need for a full computer. The odds of you having to build a computer in today’s age is slim unless you’re a gamer or a tech nerd.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

https://www.androidauthority.com/comptia-certification-839503/

Hahaha

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

But they’re the authority on these things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

jaegerx posted:

Spend $5 and buy a vps. No need for a full computer. The odds of you having to build a computer in today’s age is slim unless you’re a gamer or a tech nerd.

If he wants to do any server stuff, absolutely. But since he is looking at starting with entry level desktop work with 0 experience, building your own computer at least once can give you some valuable troubleshooting experience.

I feel like my adblocker should have prevented my from clicking on that link.