Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Darth Walrus posted:

Plus, I’m pretty sure we’re supposed to be at least somewhat uncomfortable with Special Circumstances’ dickery.

Definitely. Banks may not have been quite as cynical about Special Circumstances as John le Carre was about MI-6, but the idea of a utopia continuing to thrive while ignoring or even romanticizing the amoral actions of its intelligence operatives wasn't meant to be a comfortable one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

the Culture chat: Consider Phlebas will always be superior to Use of Weapons to me.
The bigger scope of events in Phlebas wins out versus the forgettable Zakalwe backstory in Weapons.
Horza and Zakalwe were both mercs, only Zakalwe had the infinite resources of Special Circumstances backing him.

The last few pulbished Culture books followed the trend of culture special circumstances ships shuttling clueless humanoids around the cosmos while the interesting bits
usually involved Culture Minds humble-bragging/quadruple deke'ing Special Olympics tier(in comparison to Culture Minds) opponents. RIP Beats Working.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

branedotorg posted:

one release i really liked this year was 'the last good man' by linda nagata.

the rare intelligent military sci fi

I've read a couple of hers I thought were decent but didn't go as far as they could with some of the stuff she set up. But that was years ago and my recollection is hazy other than a dude getting his legs blown off and becoming a cheap mech like those in deus ex

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

the Culture chat: Consider Phlebas will always be superior to Use of Weapons to me.
The bigger scope of events in Phlebas wins out versus the forgettable Zakalwe backstory in Weapons.
Horza and Zakalwe were both mercs, only Zakalwe had the infinite resources of Special Circumstances backing him.

The last few pulbished Culture books followed the trend of culture special circumstances ships shuttling clueless humanoids around the cosmos while the interesting bits
usually involved Culture Minds humble-bragging/quadruple deke'ing Special Olympics tier(in comparison to Culture Minds) opponents. RIP Beats Working.

That trend began in The Player of Games and only got worse.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Gurgeh stared at the space chess. He considered moving the space king over to the space rook, but then he didn't. Instead, he moved it to the right. He nodded. The robot flew over, and said something bitchy. Gurgeh chuckled, then sighed. "Robot," he said, "please fly away." The robot made a light from his head and then he flew away.

Gurgeh stared at the board. He reflected that the best games were the games that were so hard. And that what this game was. Where would he move the space piece next?

"Well, Gurgeh!" harrumphed the space alien. "Perhaps now you see that the game is so hard?" Gurgeh nodded. The game was so hard. That night, he thought about the space board. He glanded a drug that made the game less hard, but even then, it was still so hard. Gurgeh was immortal and rich, but still he didn't want to lose, because it would be better to win. But the game was so hard.

The robot flew over. "Gurgeh!" said the robot. If you don't win, there will be a space murder, and maybe a space rape!" Gurgeh was appalled. "I must win the space game," he said. He sighed.

The next day, the alien bragged: "I will win the space game! I am the best at winning the space game!" Gurgeh sighed. But then Gurgeh saw what he would do: instead of moving the space piece to the left, he would move it forward. The alien was so surprised. "But... but the game is supposed to be so hard!" But Gurgeh was very smart. He moved the piece again, and in a way that was so smart.

"NOOOOO," shouted the space alien. Gurgeh had made the best move. He had made the best space move. The robot congratulated him, and the girl wanted to have sex with him. "Well," thought Gurgeh, "I will have sex with her. I am, after all... THE PLAYER OF GAMES."

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Bhodi posted:

Gurgeh stared at the space chess. He considered moving the space king over to the space rook, but then he didn't. Instead, he moved it to the right. He nodded. The robot flew over, and said something bitchy. Gurgeh chuckled, then sighed. "Robot," he said, "please fly away." The robot made a light from his head and then he flew away.

Gurgeh stared at the board. He reflected that the best games were the games that were so hard. And that what this game was. Where would he move the space piece next?

"Well, Gurgeh!" harrumphed the space alien. "Perhaps now you see that the game is so hard?" Gurgeh nodded. The game was so hard. That night, he thought about the space board. He glanded a drug that made the game less hard, but even then, it was still so hard. Gurgeh was immortal and rich, but still he didn't want to lose, because it would be better to win. But the game was so hard.

The robot flew over. "Gurgeh!" said the robot. If you don't win, there will be a space murder, and maybe a space rape!" Gurgeh was appalled. "I must win the space game," he said. He sighed.

The next day, the alien bragged: "I will win the space game! I am the best at winning the space game!" Gurgeh sighed. But then Gurgeh saw what he would do: instead of moving the space piece to the left, he would move it forward. The alien was so surprised. "But... but the game is supposed to be so hard!" But Gurgeh was very smart. He moved the piece again, and in a way that was so smart.

"NOOOOO," shouted the space alien. Gurgeh had made the best move. He had made the best space move. The robot congratulated him, and the girl wanted to have sex with him. "Well," thought Gurgeh, "I will have sex with her. I am, after all... THE PLAYER OF GAMES."

Needs spoiler tags

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Needs spoiler tags

Bhodi posted:

Fixed it for Hieronymous.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Bhodi posted:

"NOOOOO," shouted the space alien. Gurgeh had made the best move. He had made the best space move. The robot congratulated him, and the girl wanted to have sex with him. "Well," thought Gurgeh, "I will have sex with her. I am, after all... THE LAYER OF DAMES."

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
Am I misunderstanding or does Seven Surrenders start with a pretty creepy rape chapter?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

apophenium posted:

Am I misunderstanding or does Seven Surrenders start with a pretty creepy rape chapter?

Is this the Sniper kidnapping thing? Yeah, pretty much. Sniper is extremely into it (and passes up chances to say no), but there's no positive consent given, and the whole situation is in the context of a forcible kidnapping so... As clients/students of Madame, both Julia and Dominic are appallingly hosed up about sex. Fortunately the series does not seem to go full late-Dune-books with the weird sex, I think you're past the peak.

There's the extra extra weird implication that this happens to Sniper a lot

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
honestly the fact that the entire series seems to hinge on Madame's hosed up enlightenment cosplay bordello has soured more and more for me with time. I haven't read the Will to Battle yet so I don't know if she sticks the landing but about a year out from reading Seven Surrenders I am not optimistic at this point.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I'm only halfway through The Will to Battle but I think it's focused more on the stuff I enjoyed (Hive politics, global intrigue, and a couple really weird people) and less on the stuff that bored me (Enlightenment cosplay sex), especially as Madame's place is burnt down and razed offscreen. Plus having literal Achilles as a major character is pretty awesome.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

andrew smash posted:

honestly the fact that the entire series seems to hinge on Madame's hosed up enlightenment cosplay bordello has soured more and more for me with time. I haven't read the Will to Battle yet so I don't know if she sticks the landing but about a year out from reading Seven Surrenders I am not optimistic at this point.
Yeah, I disliked this aspect enough (and the main character, and the whole god thing) to be completely uninterested in the third book. I liked the first book but then world went off in a sideways direction that I really disliked. The idea that god would send jesus down to earth but man would hate and fear and kill them therefore man doesn't deserve to be saved, and man is ruled by his baser instincts and can get addicted to sex are both so tired they're tropes at this point.

You know what I'd read? I'd read an entire book about those engineers who make it their life's work to find and fix bugs in any system that gets people killed. gently caress the divine, they don't do poo poo. Those engineers are the ones doing good for humanity

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Feb 23, 2018

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

General Battuta posted:

I'm only halfway through The Will to Battle but I think it's focused more on the stuff I enjoyed (Hive politics, global intrigue, and a couple really weird people) and less on the stuff that bored me (Enlightenment cosplay sex), especially as Madame's place is burnt down and razed offscreen. Plus having literal Achilles as a major character is pretty awesome.

To your second spoiler tag - this is probably Unenlightened of me, and the fact that i'm a parent bleeding through into my tastes here, but if she also doesn't find a really good way to deal with Bridger's suicide? self-deicide? whatever the series is retroactively ruined for me

No. No more dancing!
Jun 15, 2006
Let 'er rip, dude!

This, except incredibly good.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Bhodi posted:

You know what I'd read? I'd read an entire book about those engineers who make it their life's work to find and fix bugs in any system that gets people killed. gently caress the divine, they don't do poo poo. Those engineers are the ones doing good for humanity

I've only just finished Seven Surrenders but I wonder how much it speaks of me that I instantly related to the Utopians the most, and continue to relate to them the most. They are basically trying to build Iain M. Banks's Culture, after all.

I feel like I'm being set up by the author in the same way the utopian character of the world itself was slowly dismantled as the story progressed.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Bhodi posted:

That One Vignette From Consider Phlebas Except Now It's 300 Pages Long by Ian M. Banks

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Oh, cool. Ken Lange's sequel to Accecssion of the Stone Born is out.

Dust Walkers, on KU if you wanna take a peek. I really liked the first book, hoping the second one is as fun.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079CQRT7X

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Anyone read anything good lately, SF or Fantasy? I just finished Children of Time and really liked it, but I'm totally drawing a blank as to what to go to next. Bonus points for a good audio book narration.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
The Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell audiobook is excellent.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Anyone read anything good lately, SF or Fantasy? I just finished Children of Time and really liked it, but I'm totally drawing a blank as to what to go to next. Bonus points for a good audio book narration.

I finished Kings of the Wyld a couple of weeks ago and wholeheartedly recommend it. No idea how the narration is, though.

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

andrew smash posted:

The Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell audiobook is excellent.

I'm half way through this and haven't been enjoying it. The narration is fine, the Victorian English society and sensibilities are grating.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
That’s Regency, not Victorian. But if you don’t like it you are probably not going to like the rest of the book and it is a very long book. Sorry it didn’t work for you.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Out of curiosity, how do they deal with the footnotes?

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

taser rates posted:

Out of curiosity, how do they deal with the footnotes?

The narrator says "Footnote 1" reads the footnote where it appears in the text

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

andrew smash posted:

That’s Regency, not Victorian. But if you don’t like it you are probably not going to like the rest of the book and it is a very long book. Sorry it didn’t work for you.

It took a long time to get going, but it seems to be picking up steam now. I'll finish it, but I'm unlikely to ever recommend it to anyone.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
That’s too bad. It sounds like what you hated was one of the things I loved about it. It really tiptoes along the line between pastiche and parody. I think the early scenes with Norrell, Lascelles and Drawlight, and Childermass were my favorite parts of the book although the war and the Duke of Wellington were excellent also.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

andrew smash posted:

That’s too bad. It sounds like what you hated was one of the things I loved about it. It really tiptoes along the line between pastiche and parody. I think the early scenes with Norrell, Lascelles and Drawlight, and Childermass were my favorite parts of the book although the war and the Duke of Wellington were excellent also.

The Duke is the best!

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Microcline posted:

That One Vignette From Consider Phlebas Except Now It's 300 Pages Long by Ian M. Banks

You say it like it's a bad thing.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

General Battuta posted:

Is this the Sniper kidnapping thing? Yeah, pretty much. Sniper is extremely into it (and passes up chances to say no), but there's no positive consent given, and the whole situation is in the context of a forcible kidnapping so... As clients/students of Madame, both Julia and Dominic are appallingly hosed up about sex. Fortunately the series does not seem to go full late-Dune-books with the weird sex, I think you're past the peak.

There's the extra extra weird implication that this happens to Sniper a lot

The explanation of the Black Laws in The Will To Battle suggests that it was consensual in the sense that there is a Black Law against blocking a person’s ability to communicate (which has been ruled to include everyone’s tracker implants) and anyone can call Romanova to ask to become a Greylaw at any time, at which point your Blacklaw captor had better let you go lest every other Blacklaw hunt them down and torture them to death

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

andrew smash posted:

I have a violent aversion to people who think they are inherently better than other people for some reason. A book where the characters are mostly English aristocrats had the odds stacked against it.

I enjoyed the war because it was mostly about a wizard doing clever wizard things, but the early parts of the book that are mostly about various aristocrats trying to gain reputation with other aristocrats (and avoiding doing any magic for some reason) really didn't do it for me.

I've just got back from the war and it is being foreshadowed that fairies are about to become significantly more involved in the plot. I'm curious where it is going because they seem like "super aristocrats" who don't care about the regular aristocrats as long as they are treated with appropriate deference. It'll be interesting to see how the various gentlemen adapt to no longer being at the top of the social hierarchy, though I expect they'll accept it as the natural God ordained order and it will annoy me because nothing has really changed.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Urcher posted:

I have a violent aversion to people who think they are inherently better than other people for some reason. A book where the characters are mostly English aristocrats had the odds stacked against it.

I enjoyed the war because it was mostly about a wizard doing clever wizard things, but the early parts of the book that are mostly about various aristocrats trying to gain reputation with other aristocrats (and avoiding doing any magic for some reason) really didn't do it for me.

I've just got back from the war and it is being foreshadowed that fairies are about to become significantly more involved in the plot. I'm curious where it is going because they seem like "super aristocrats" who don't care about the regular aristocrats as long as they are treated with appropriate deference. It'll be interesting to see how the various gentlemen adapt to no longer being at the top of the social hierarchy, though I expect they'll accept it as the natural God ordained order and it will annoy me because nothing has really changed.

Norrel is a crotchety buffoon who plays at expertise and the entire plot is a result of him loving up the first major spell he casts in a very obvious and elemental way.

Half of the time the book is really great deadpan wit but the other half it flies a bit to close to trying to parody by being exactly like the thing it's parodying. A huge amount of imagination and technical mastery went into the book but it comes across as slightly less than the sum of its parts.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

andrew smash posted:

To your second spoiler tag - this is probably Unenlightened of me, and the fact that i'm a parent bleeding through into my tastes here, but if she also doesn't find a really good way to deal with Bridger's suicide? self-deicide? whatever the series is retroactively ruined for me

Same here. As a parent of young children, I was really torn up by the whole scene at the end of Book II, but especially the line where Mycroft realizes what he's going to do and yells "Bridger, you’re not putting on a costume, are you?”

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The Norrell and Strange BBC miniseries is also excellent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iE1nsOoTJos

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

pseudorandom name posted:

The explanation of the Black Laws in The Will To Battle suggests that it was consensual in the sense that there is a Black Law against blocking a person’s ability to communicate (which has been ruled to include everyone’s tracker implants) and anyone can call Romanova to ask to become a Greylaw at any time, at which point your Blacklaw captor had better let you go lest every other Blacklaw hunt them down and torture them to death

Sniper is not a Blacklaw, Sniper is a Humanist.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/liza/status/967466516231925761

Insanely cool article here about a real old-school sci-fi novel. :D

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Diane Duane was one of the best Star Trek authors. Recently, I heard through my publisher that she'd hit a financial crunch and was having an ebook sale.

https://ebooksdirect.dianeduane.com/

I am only mildly embarrassed to admit that the cat wizards series is actually good, there's some really good characterization and worldbuilding in there. I'm almost done with book one and have picked up the next two in the trilogy. RPGers will appreciate a really good take on semi-Vancian magic.

Stealing the Elf King's Roses is also good. It's a pity she exhausted the setting in one book instead of giving us a series.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Dude, the cat wizard books are probably her best works. Creative, fun... there's dinosaurs in one!

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Her wizard books are clever in a number of ways. She has the excuse of a magical pseudo-Heaven (Timeheart) which lets her mercilessly kill off characters in what is nominally a children's/YA series; the logic of magic provides a great excuse for why adults sit back and advise while children/youth solve problems, because you're given your allotment of magical power up front and adults tend to be fairly tapped out; and there's a bittersweet emotional spine to the books about the inevitability of death in a universe touched by the Lone Power, and the need to do something meaningful with the time we have.

I remember the cat wizard spinoff being loving horrifying as a kid, didn't the cat wizards end up in extremely lethal combat with a dinosaur zerg rush?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I don't think I've read anything by Duane that I actually disliked, although she's not one of my beloved must-read authors either. I still have my (severely battered) original copy of So You Want to Be a Wizard on the shelves somewhere and over the years I've bought ebooks of most of her stuff.

The one big thing of hers I haven't read is the Middle Kingdoms books, but they sound extremely my jam; the main thing stopping me is that I don't like starting unfinished series and she just started work on the last book, The Door into Starlight, last year.

And yes the cat wizard books are great.

General Battuta posted:

I remember the cat wizard spinoff being loving horrifying as a kid, didn't the cat wizards end up in extremely lethal combat with a dinosaur zerg rush?

Yeah, they're a lot more gruesome in places than the Young Wizards books and I think aimed at a slightly older audience. The same book also features a cat nearly being eaten alive by rats and later graphically describing the drowning of his littermates, multiple major character deaths, and an underground society of dinosaurs enslaved by the Lone Power and reliant on industrial-scale cannibalism to survive. The fight you refer to is concluded when Saash modifies her rat-exploding spell to target saurians instead and loving detonates every dinosaur in earshot.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Feb 24, 2018