Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Aya has some pretty serious self-esteem issues, doesn't she? :( She's always managing to deflect the situation into being because of a perceived flaw in herself, or some mistake that she made. It's really sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

iospace posted:

JUST DO IT

But what if doing it could be bad?

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

DrSunshine posted:

Aya has some pretty serious self-esteem issues, doesn't she? :( She's always managing to deflect the situation into being because of a perceived flaw in herself, or some mistake that she made. It's really sad.

It's all her fault! Toda at least has a vague excuse of not being sure if Aya likes him. Aya knows for a fact that they both like each other, yet still refuses to take any actions for...reasons?

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

AnoHito posted:

It's all her fault! Toda at least has a vague excuse of not being sure if Aya likes him. Aya knows for a fact that they both like each other, yet still refuses to take any actions for...reasons?

I would like to present my life as exhibits a-g of " you can gently caress up an interpersonal relationship that both people are for".

Tbf she also has never done a social thing til few months ago it however long our time frame is

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

AnoHito posted:

She doesn't want people to know she can read minds.

Revealing that she knows he has a crush on her would lead to the question of "how?" and she might slip up and oust herself.

This also feeds back into her being just really passive on most issues, like when she wanted to keep the cat but couldn't bring herself to ask.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Revealing that she knows he has a crush on her would lead to the question of "how?" and she might slip up and oust herself.

This also feeds back into her being just really passive on most issues, like when she wanted to keep the cat but couldn't bring herself to ask.

At this point it is literally just "Say or do ABSOLUTELY ANYTHING that would hint at you being interested." Like pretty much anything other than what she's currently doing would probably work.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

AnoHito posted:

Aya knows for a fact that they both like each other, yet still refuses to take any actions for...reasons?

Mental health issues are hosed up, and make you doubt seemingly obvious choices, believe you don't or can't deserve the things you want or cause so many other ways of messing you up.. Throw on top of that Aya's a teen, the most complicated time of her life so far, and she's been emotionally and socially stunted due to her telepathy.

Basically, this feels real as gently caress.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

AnoHito posted:

At this point it is literally just "Say or do ABSOLUTELY ANYTHING that would hint at you being interested." Like pretty much anything other than what she's currently doing would probably work.

Toda's imagination tends to explode at the slightest things she does. I don't think she is super comfortable instigating his lewd thoughts, (or has come to terms whith that it's her own lewd visual imagination).

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
As a person who has been party to "you both like each other oops you hosed it up"

yeah

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

SatansBestBuddy posted:

People who know her also are painfully aware of this -- Mana totally got pissed at her for being so passive. I guess that lesson hasn't quite stuck yet.

Also! You kind of have to wonder if like it'd really be all that bad if Toda learned about her power. Like it could be awkward for a while, but Mana found out and it just became another dimension of their friendship. Of course, the whole comic's premise kind of revolves around Aya's huge issues and complex about her power, so I think unless it's close to being wrapped up, we've still got a long way to go before she tells Toda about it.

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Feb 24, 2018

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

AnacondaHL posted:

Toda's imagination tends to explode at the slightest things she does. I don't think she is super comfortable instigating his lewd thoughts, (or has come to terms whith that it's her own lewd visual imagination).

I'm kinda wondering how hooking up would even work for someone in her position. Seems like it would be extremely weird/awkward to constantly hear your partner's thoughts.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Ytlaya posted:

I'm kinda wondering how hooking up would even work for someone in her position. Seems like it would be extremely weird/awkward to constantly hear your partner's thoughts.

Both of you would be looking at her boobs

Not trying to be weird but like, they're right there you know

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

The author could always go the route where her telepathy cancels out at the end. Either that or the comedy route where telepathy is contageous and now Todo can hear thoughts too. I honestly haven't thought about the Nobel's end game for that part of the story.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Maybe that long hiatus was for them to work on ways to not let the series peter out like so many other "hey I started this series with a WAAAAACKY PREMISE but have no idea what to do to continue/eventually end it satisfactorily since I didn't think beyond the premise", I can only hope anyways.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Sheerly out of curiosity, how many people in this thread watched Kotoura-san? It's more or less the same premise of involuntary telepathy on the part of the female lead, and it's surprisingly nicely done.

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
YOU CAN SEE ME, CAN'T YOU? THEN WHY ARE YOU IGNORING ME!?
I think I have a post in this thread about Kotoura-san. Let me try to find it.

Edit: Apparently not. Anyway the gist was I was incredibly apprehensive about reading Mousou Telepathy because it has exactly the same premise and I was super skeeved out by the grandpa character.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Yeah, minus the grandpa character I really liked Kotoura-san. I'd still recommend it, just with the warning to pretend the grandpa character doesn't exist for half the time he's there (which unless I'm misremembering he's not onscreen much, so it's not a big loss).

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

GANBATTE TODA, you can do it!

jboslund
Jan 27, 2009
Now call each other at the same time and get busy signals both ways. Oh wait, this isn't 1997...

I sort of remember Kotoura San. I barely remember that there was a grandpa, so mission accomplished..? What I do remember is that there were enough perv-tastic scenes to prevent me from recommending it to anyone, but that the first episode was basically one long joke that hit really well about half way though.

In fact that's how I would characterize Kotoura San, it was full of longish sections of bland to bad high school anime nonsense, punctuated by jokes or scenes which hit way above their weight class and had me laughing for like a solid minute.

Mousou Telepathy is consistently way better imo. It doesn't randomly critical hit with it's jokes quite so severely, but it doesn't drag either.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
...blop

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

jboslund posted:

Now call each other at the same time and get busy signals both ways. Oh wait, this isn't 1997...

I sort of remember Kotoura San. I barely remember that there was a grandpa, so mission accomplished..? What I do remember is that there were enough perv-tastic scenes to prevent me from recommending it to anyone, but that the first episode was basically one long joke that hit really well about half way though.

In fact that's how I would characterize Kotoura San, it was full of longish sections of bland to bad high school anime nonsense, punctuated by jokes or scenes which hit way above their weight class and had me laughing for like a solid minute.

Mousou Telepathy is consistently way better imo. It doesn't randomly critical hit with it's jokes quite so severely, but it doesn't drag either.

hello fellow old person that remembers that telephone nonsense o/

Also nthing remembering Kotoura-san, and this series being much better.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

MJP posted:

Sheerly out of curiosity, how many people in this thread watched Kotoura-san? It's more or less the same premise of involuntary telepathy on the part of the female lead, and it's surprisingly nicely done.

I watched and remember it not being too bad. Cept the grandfather, best to ignore that, but he doesn't really appear that often. Though Kotoura has a bit more emotional whiplash then Mousou does. Lots of empty eyes and scornful looks. I'd still recommend it.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

MJP posted:

Well given the last couple of posts I decided to check it out. That first episode had a pretty bleak opening and the story has a very different execution despite the overlap in concepts this one is far more wacky. I'm not sure if this is going to be addressed either but my biggest question is; why did Koutora never develop a filter between what thoughts she hears, and what she tells other people? I thought that made perfect sense in MT with Aya to just withdrawing from social interactions without tipping her hand once she had a few events where her telepathy caused friction with others. Especially at a young age. But Kotoura just kept going with it to the point that everything collapsed around her as more and more people distanced themselves away from her and her insight. And the fact that apparently none of these doctors concluded that she could read minds also bothered me. It's not like it's a bad setup at all, but I'm curious how this will pan out.

And what is up with Muroto's face? I've seen that sort of number three (3) mouth on the character from world trigger but I don't know what expression that's supposed to mean?

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
She did stop, but she was still in the same school as some of the kids in elementary school and they didn't let it go. She's in an entirely new city for high school now, but she's so withdrawn people still think she's a weirdo and avoid her.

I think the 3 mouth is usually used for pursed lips, like pouting, being upset or kissing? I'm not sure why Muroto uses that expression so much though, probably just something the artist liked.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Nakano pretending to be a fish is very powerful.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Onean posted:

She did stop, but she was still in the same school as some of the kids in elementary school and they didn't let it go. She's in an entirely new city for high school now, but she's so withdrawn people still think she's a weirdo and avoid her.
That's just the thing, when she transferred schools she keeps telling people their thoughts. Right when the class rep and her friend walk up she rebukes them both for what they are thinking and in the second episode the whole reason the ESP club sought her out was because of the rumors circulating about her mind reading.

quote:

I think the 3 mouth is usually used for pursed lips, like pouting, being upset or kissing? I'm not sure why Muroto uses that expression so much though, probably just something the artist liked.
Yeah, I don't know the reason they are making a perpetual kissy face. I'd say it's some flavor of smug being used but when the character doesn't act smug like in WT I don't know anymore.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 206 days!
It's a cat face, from the :3: emote.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Brought To You By posted:

That's just the thing, when she transferred schools she keeps telling people their thoughts. Right when the class rep and her friend walk up she rebukes them both for what they are thinking and in the second episode the whole reason the ESP club sought her out was because of the rumors circulating about her mind reading.

That's a good point, I'd forgotten that bit. Maybe to her thoughts sometimes sound exactly like the person talking. :shrug:

Hodgepodge posted:

It's a cat face, from the :3: emote.

That's when the 3 is lined up parallel with the eyes. Muroto's mouth often looks like a 3 perpendicular to the eyes.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

It's a pouty face.

jboslund
Jan 27, 2009
Regarding being bad at being a high school psychic,

1. Teenagers can be dumb (we've covered this,)

2. Highschool can already be rough without adding extra hurdles

3. Are there even any role models for how to be a psychic? Did That's so Raven ever get a Japanese dub?

4. The personal growth associated with figuring it out is the main plot

I had to look it up, Muroto is the Case Closed looking dude. The fishy lips go with the opaque glasses, which are a bit easier to figure out. I think they are supposed to be a blank, poker face expression. You can't read it. You can't read his poker face

Also wow I forgot how much more Kotoura is a drama than a comedy. My mind must have done a serious oyster and pearl routine with all the suffering. Maybe it's the whiplash from drama to comedy and back that I'm remembering.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Aya's blops

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Somehow a double update:

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

iospace posted:

Somehow a double update:

So is it going to be a spring wedding or fall one you think?

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

If the next comic isn't 4 straight panels of them going "AHHHH :aaaaa:" in various ways I will be disappoint

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

They'll both think they mistakenly sent the message to their own address and then feel too spent to send another one

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

36 unreads get your poo poo together Toda

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Seaweed has a top tier "the hell's he doing?" face going.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
The posts collide and annihilate in the tubes and this poo poo goes on for another 100 pages.

Oh not the Tomo thread oops

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Eldercain posted:

The posts collide and annihilate in the tubes and this poo poo goes on for another 100 pages.

That's not how cyberspace works.

Most likely scenario: both reads the other's message, neither can answer for several hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

SatansBestBuddy posted:

That's not how cyberspace works.
I have it on good authority that the internet is in fact, a series of tubes.