Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The drones for example do 25% damage to shields, but 150% damage to armour and 200%(!!) damage to hull. Their lasers are terrifying if you come at them without shields.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

How does everyone balance new outposts vs. mining stations in current systems?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

messy

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Generally I would suggest trying to fill out your systems before you expand, systems are very rich now and you need to keep building research at least to keep ahead of the expansion costs.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

Generally I would suggest trying to fill out your systems before you expand, systems are very rich now and you need to keep building research at least to keep ahead of the expansion costs.

Yeah my first playthrough there was always a better system to claim, ended up backfilling way after the first 50 years.

What about colonizable planets, do you still wait to fill your systems or beeline for those?

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

sudo rm -rf posted:

so the pacing of this patch/expansion is radically different from 1.9 and feels a lot slower.

the larger you get, the slower expansion feels because of the influence cost is kind of a hard cap. in the previous patch, the larger you got, didn't really affect how fast you could blob because of the influence cost per colony mixed with the amorphous borders comes out to much less of influence cost per system.

i'm just doing a primitives + fallen empire game to mess around in and i'm almost 100 years in and i barely have 1/8 of the galaxy. this is with me expanding as fast as possible.

so i was thinking about this throughout the day - would it be possible to create a repeatable high-tier 'tech' that lowered the influence cost of outposts?

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I'm liking the new update but man dealing with newly conquered planets seems to be a real bitch now that you can't just build a bunch of defense armies. Really wish there was a grace period between an uprising occurring and them forming a whole new faction because restarting the timer on the "Recently Conquered" debuff really hurts. Say if you have a starbase there make it take a few months for the rebels to dislodge your guys from there. It could also be nice if there was a tradition/edict/tech/whatever for reducing the duration of "Recently Conquered" sorta like Humanism in EU4.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Gobblecoque posted:

I'm liking the new update but man dealing with newly conquered planets seems to be a real bitch now that you can't just build a bunch of defense armies. Really wish there was a grace period between an uprising occurring and them forming a whole new faction because restarting the timer on the "Recently Conquered" debuff really hurts. Say if you have a starbase there make it take a few months for the rebels to dislodge your guys from there. It could also be nice if there was a tradition/edict/tech/whatever for reducing the duration of "Recently Conquered" sorta like Humanism in EU4.

You hitting them up with martial law?

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Is there a formula for "How many more Physics/Engineer/Research points do I need to counteract system/planet/pop penalty" ? Or even just a rule of thumb?

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

You hitting them up with martial law?

I tried it once and it only dropped the unrest from 100 to 82 so it kinda feels like a waste of a pile of influence. The problem is that the game doesn't explain the effect of the unrest counter. Does a higher number make rebellions more likely or happen sooner or have more troops? And is an 18 point drop enough to be worth 100 influence? Who the hell knows, the only thing the unrest tooltip explains is that unrest has "negative consequences."

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

As far as i can tell, what high unrest does is make it possible for various events to trigger, and those events are probably also context-dependent, i.e. newly conquered planets and planets with slaves can get different events.

A very common result for high unrest is various things causing the ethics of your populace to diverge wildly.

Black Sites, Martial Law, and Fortresses are all excellent if expensive tools for dealing with unrest.

It should also be noted that happy pops actively reduce unrest so one thing you can do is ship happy pops to a planet (assuming it has decent habitability).

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Feb 23, 2018

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

canepazzo posted:

Is there a formula for "How many more Physics/Engineer/Research points do I need to counteract system/planet/pop penalty" ? Or even just a rule of thumb?

Each system adds 2%, so you need to gain 2% of your research production from it to break even.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Played a bit before the patch but never really got into it. Having a cracking game now as driven assimilators, using small wars to surround empires with hyperlane chokepoints so there’s only one or two (heavily fortified) ways out, then parking a big fleet there and systematically assimilating planet by planet. Then dissemble, move on and rinse and repeat. It’s ok little guys, come join the hive mind!

This patch turned the game from ok to absolutely compelling. Really enjoying it.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

I've seen a couple people complaining about pathing through hostile systems still, so as a PSA there is now in fact a button to mark systems as "no go" zones even for aggressive fleets. Go into system view, it's on the bottom of the screen.

A lot of these quality of life UI updates are loving great.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

here's another fun bug which I think might be caused by the Enigmatic Fortress pulling an emergency combat withdrawal: Every 2 or 3 days the Fortress will reactivate with 4% of its HP, fight my fleet for 1 day, and then deactivate again. I get an event popup every single time and it adds a new copy of the special project every single time. Can I get like 20 copies of the enigmatic fortress chain rewards?

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

canepazzo posted:

How does everyone balance new outposts vs. mining stations in current systems?

Still getting a feel for it, but my rough priority list is:

1) Mineral production.
2) Claiming a reasonable large, defensible space to consider the heart of my soon-to-be empire (size and dimensions will be galaxy-specific).
3) Everything else.

In general you need to be at least somewhat speedy (compared to what I'd do without stress) in claiming systems if you have any neighbors whatsoever, because you can and will get hemmed in. Race of the most convenient bottlenecks, then worry about the rest.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Really loving that I can modify species in a reasonable timeframe now.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
So I just started my first 2.0 game with the authoritarian ethos and I'm getting slave unrest issues before my second colony is even up and running. I got the slave defiance event, which just increases unrest for now, but otherwise I can't really see a way to decrease unrest at this stage of the game. I mean, my usual response would have been to recruit some defense armies to go punch people in the mouth/mandibles, but that mechanic's been changed. And assault armies, even if landed on planets, don't seem to count as garrisoned forces. There is the martial law edict, but that has limits.

tldr: help how do i not get guillotined by ungrateful slaves

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Build a stronghold, that's how you build defense armies now.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

a bit of unrest won't kill you. but, slave happiness scales how much unrest they generate. Yellow-happiness slaves dont generate unrest at all iirc. Happy pops will also actively lower unrest. You can also just reduce how many slaves you are using on the planet.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

So I just started my first 2.0 game with the authoritarian ethos and I'm getting slave unrest issues before my second colony is even up and running. I got the slave defiance event, which just increases unrest for now, but otherwise I can't really see a way to decrease unrest at this stage of the game. I mean, my usual response would have been to recruit some defense armies to go punch people in the mouth/mandibles, but that mechanic's been changed. And assault armies, even if landed on planets, don't seem to count as garrisoned forces. There is the martial law edict, but that has limits.

tldr: help how do i not get guillotined by ungrateful slaves

Build bunkers/fortresses/whatever they're called. It's a building that reduces unrest and gives you more defensive armies. Also produces unity, so it's not even a wasted tile.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Restarted my game and I'm next to a hive mind that isn't immediately hostile. I wasn't aware this could happen, I thought all hive minds were hostile to everything. New friends yay!

Can I get them to move in to my super cool new colony or do they keep to themselves?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

axeil posted:

Restarted my game and I'm next to a hive mind that isn't immediately hostile. I wasn't aware this could happen, I thought all hive minds were hostile to everything. New friends yay!

Can I get them to move in to my super cool new colony or do they keep to themselves?

They keep to themselves. Gestalt consciousness pops can't exist outside of their borders.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

axeil posted:

Only the Hive Minds that want to eat/kill/assimilate everyone are perma-hostile. Their pops never migrate and will die if, say, you conquered one of their planets and cut them off from the hive.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

I don't know if we can stop the Scourge you guys :ohdear: They've wiped out two FEs already. Literally the only thing keeping us alive for now is that they're slow to push forward.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Strobe posted:

Build bunkers/fortresses/whatever they're called. It's a building that reduces unrest and gives you more defensive armies. Also produces unity, so it's not even a wasted tile.

Urgh, fine. I suppose it'll have to do until I figure out lobotomies.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

My guy chuckles 'slaves, heh' as he assimilates the next crude organic into pure silicon awesomeness.

Seriously, playing with machine terminators is the poo poo. No food, no diplomacy, no problem.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Started a new game as militant priest birds with a rather interesting start. Plus I almost immediately discovered I had a neighbor basically next door. Wish I had started exploring that way instead of the other first. By the time I had my science ship swing back that way they'd built an outpost in the system next to my homeworld, which also included a nicely habitable world for me. This, of course, would not do, so I sent my fleet in to try to destroy the outpost before they could establish communications with me. Sadly I failed to do so, they managed to open comms just before the outpost fell. However, nothing stopped me from quickly claiming the system and declaring war, seizing the system in a blitz before he could really respond. After that I just camped the system beating back his attempts to reclaim it by combining my fleet's firepower with the station's until he gave me the system.

It was pretty cool to be able to fight such an early game war (within five years or so of start). I can't help but think I should've taken Cavzek too and really crippled his potential (its a decent world for him). I want to strike again, but sadly I'm bound by this stupid truce and I suspect he'll settle the world or entrench the system before I can. I'm also amazed at how slowly he's expanding (Imulgaron was added after the war) so I wonder if he burned up too much of his economy crash building a fleet to fight me. Either way, I will be doing my best to seize Cavzek eventually, which should keep him from being too dangerous.

Funny thing is, we're both spiritualist empires, but he's pacifist while I'm Militant, so yeah, gonna beat him up :v:

By the way, is there anything good I can do with a rather large energy surplus? Also, should I settle those worlds ASAP? Antares is size 24 and has good looking surface resources. I haven't played in so long and stuff has changed so much I don't know what to do anymore.

[edit] Oh... you guys...

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Feb 24, 2018

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

is there just a tech requirement to build gateways or do you need to go down the mega-structures ascension path?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Was just informed that a wounded Prethoryn Queen has been spotted on long-range sensors after getting dunked all over by an 'unidentified party' in the Sol system.

Guess the humies aren't as extinct as I thought and are instead doing some HFY poo poo to save the galaxy :black101:

Ignorant Hick
Mar 26, 2010

I still think it's a shame that now there's little reason to conquer a planet that doesn't share you habitability class. It used to be I'd play xenophobe empires with entire sectors full of alien slaves doing their own thing, but now its hard to find a reason not to completely purge the planet if my pops have less than 40 habitability on it. Energy is much tighter with all the stations and ships I have to field so filling out purged planets with robots isn't worth it, especially not with the tech cost. In my current game now would have been the point where I go on a conquering spree and get enough fleet cap/minerals to solo the end game crises, but with each system giving tech penalties doing anything more than taking a few empty chokepoints seems like it's gonna cripple my empire.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Zore posted:

Only the Hive Minds that want to eat/kill/assimilate everyone are perma-hostile. Their pops never migrate and will die if, say, you conquered one of their planets and cut them off from the hive.

playing as a Nice Hive Mind is a bit of an uphill enterprise though, because everybody else doesn't like you very much

come on dudes, just because nobody else is allowed to participate in Space Kudzu society doesn't mean we can't be chums in different star systems

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Just got offered a Covenant with the Shroud and obviously took it immediately so we can stop the Swarm.

I am well aware that nothing bad will come of this in any way. :downs:

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Guilliman posted:

huehuehuehue
*evil laughter for days*

*built

PRAISE THE SUN
Feb 1, 2018
For some reason I don't seem to be able to build Dyson Spheres or Science Nexuses. I have the prequisite techs and such and it shows up in the construction ship menu, but when I click it, no valid locations are showing up.

Oddly, I can still build sentry arrays and habitats just fine.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
I don't know why but, my admiral keeps getting randomly removed from my fleets.

Azuth0667 fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Feb 24, 2018

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009

Azuth0667 posted:

I don't know why but, my admiral keeps getting randomly removed from my fleets.

Yeah this has happened to me after pretty much every engagement. It seems like the only bug that I've come across so far.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Giggle Goose posted:

Yeah this has happened to me after pretty much every engagement. It seems like the only bug that I've come across so far.

I think what's happening is, the admiral is on the flagship (that is, the first ship on the list), and if the flagship retreats from combat, the admiral retreats too, and doesn't rejoin when the fight is over. Might be wrong but that's what seemed to be happening to me.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Magil Zeal posted:

Looks like it's always optimal to specialize starbases, like if you build an Offworld Trading Company you want every module to be a Trading Hub, if you build a Logistics office they should all be Anchorages, and if you build a Fleet Academy they should all be Shipyards. Prolly not saying anything anybody doesn't already know but it's something I do appreciate in the expansion because I've always liked specialization and it feels natural and more meaningful than the old approach to starports.

The anchorage/shipyard split seems a bit silly to me thematically, since you'll almost always have your fleets with a shipyard as a home base, not an anchorage (since you can't upgrade at anchorages).

Ms Adequate posted:

Really loving that I can modify species in a reasonable timeframe now.

My United Nations of Earth conquered several planets, then modified the populations of them to remove their need for slaves, so as to better suit my egalitarian multi-species empire. This came after modifying all humans into Human-Plus with the trait for +5% happiness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

This game is loving with me.

Not shown: several more planets that I can terraform later.