Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

VulgarandStupid posted:

I don't get how they can say this game is realistic, the 40k gold I have should be making me overencumbered.
Wikipedia says that Prauge groschen was between 3.5 and 3.7 grams of silver.

453.6 grams to the pound. Divide that by 3.6 and you get 126 groschen equaling a pound of silver.

So, 40k groschen weighs 317.46 pounds.

Let's see what you could buy with that.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/currency/results2.asp#mid

With 317 pounds, 9 shillings and 1 old penny, in 1400 you could buy...

15,872 days of craftsman wages in building trade

or 1,763 stones of wool. A stone is 14 pounds IIRC

or 1,024 quarters of wheat. Quarters mean a quarter ton, 500 pounds.

or 547 cows

or 249 horses

Basically you're rich as hell and well on your way to have enough money to build your own castle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

Charlz Guybon posted:

Wikipedia says that Prauge groschen was between 3.5 and 3.7 grams of silver.

453.6 grams to the pound. Divide that by 3.6 and you get 126 groschen equaling a pound of silver.

So, 40k groschen weighs 317.46 pounds.

Let's see what you could buy with that.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/currency/results2.asp#mid

With 317 pounds, 9 shillings and 1 old penny, in 1400 you could buy...

15,872 days of craftsman wages in building trade

or 1,763 stones of wool. A stone is 14 pounds IIRC

or 1,024 quarters of wheat. Quarters mean a quarter ton, 500 pounds.

or 547 cows

or 249 horses

Basically you're rich as hell and well on your way to have enough money to build your own castle.

Not enough horses or cows for an army though, still a filthy peasant

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Not enough horses or cows for an army though, still a filthy peasant

He ain't a baron, but he's way wealthier than the average landed knight.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Depends on the barony.

Does anyone know of a reliable place to gamble? Every tavern has like one peasant that gets up after you take their beer money.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Anyone doing a stealth and light armor try at this? What are you wearing?

I did amd its pretty easy till the very end. I just used a jerkin and that neck cover thing thats kinda like a half cape. There are also light armor, i dunno, overcoat things available at a tailor that i didnt see at the armorer.

For perks there is a light armor one and a dodge perk. The one that helps win clinches is super important because those take a toll and you have to kinda jump in and out of range a lot. You cant really handle more than a couple hits so you have to get good at tagging them in the face with the poke and backing out of range of any counter. Its really hard to win with slashes. The perk that lets you hit harder as stamina goes down is probably pretty helpful but i just got it so i dont know how big a difference it makes.

Oh and buy the merrigold potion recipe so you don't have to go to towns to sleep and heal.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
i didn't expect the part where you become a monk. i like they packed that into the game - and the brothers named even have names taken from historical records

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Jolarix posted:

How far am I through the main plot? I just met Ulrich the Knight, who was investigating the counterfeit coins.

As far as I am!

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?

Palpek posted:

Somebody repost that location of an unlocked chest with nice gear somewhere in the woods or something, where was it?

Reddit thread with markers for treasure map locations. I don't know if the super chest is in there or not.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
i think i hosed one of the monastery quests by breaking into the monastery a long time before you go there as a novice. i can't find the book for libri prohibiti; i know i took it when i was here earlier but it's not in my things that i left outside the monastery. worried i might've sold it.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Are there any towns with weaponsmiths and armoursmiths other than Rattay and Sasau?
Also, where can I buy a shitload of books?

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

The horse orgy has seemed to have broken my game. Pretty cool :slick:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
has anyone tried poison on weapons? how well does it work?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I spent a good hour reloading trying to kill a Cuman in the "Run!" thing after the tutorial, and managed to choke out one of the rapist ones exactly once, come back and steal his poo poo, then have my driver crash while riding to tamberg. Every other time i tried to choke one out he would flip it around on me. And all the regular Cuman duders would mob on me and kill me, even if i was on horseback.

I wanted my Hun playthrough to be only cuman poo poo ever but i will have to wait to find a random cuman later on.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

So uh I got boar meat for the Sassau butcher (took me like 40 arrows too because I'm terrible) and suddenly he's disappeared. I googled it and the only thing I could find was an unfinished wiki entry for the butcher where someone else commented saying they had the same problem. Anyone figured out a way around this? or the nightingale in the cages quest? I'd really like to turn them in

its a shame that like, a not insignificant percentage of sidequests suffer from bugs that render them useless

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

The Lone Badger posted:

Are there any towns with weaponsmiths and armoursmiths other than Rattay and Sasau?
Also, where can I buy a shitload of books?

Books seem to be randomly doled out to relevant traders: weaponsmiths have sword books, innkeepers have books about drinking, etc. The scribe in Uzhitz had the most books I've seen so far.

hakimashou posted:

I spent a good hour reloading trying to kill a Cuman in the "Run!" thing after the tutorial, and managed to choke out one of the rapist ones exactly once, come back and steal his poo poo, then have my driver crash while riding to tamberg. Every other time i tried to choke one out he would flip it around on me. And all the regular Cuman duders would mob on me and kill me, even if i was on horseback.

I wanted my Hun playthrough to be only cuman poo poo ever but i will have to wait to find a random cuman later on.

This is where I wish they had gone full MW and let you kill any NPC and just give you a "you broke the main quest, would you like to continue?" prompt. Then you can roleplay your way into Sigi's army!

Frog Act posted:

So uh I got boar meat for the Sassau butcher (took me like 40 arrows too because I'm terrible) and suddenly he's disappeared. I googled it and the only thing I could find was an unfinished wiki entry for the butcher where someone else commented saying they had the same problem. Anyone figured out a way around this? or the nightingale in the cages quest? I'd really like to turn them in

its a shame that like, a not insignificant percentage of sidequests suffer from bugs that render them useless

I think if you saved or rested after getting the last cage you cannot complete the quest.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

I got bored of having too much money, now its time to do a punching and drinking play through. I'm two hours in, but just getting through most of the starter BS. The main plan is to get Boar and Headcracker, but I'm thinking I might have issues actually killing people, which means I might need a bow to shoot them in the head. Heavy armor is a must, since I won't be able to block so I'm probably gonna bee line for the Warhorse chests early on and try to choke out the Faint Hearted Knight or any Mercs I see. Is there a way for me to kill unconscious people with a dagger or do they have to be awake for me to stealth kill them? Also, are there any actual unarmed skills?

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
Is there a place I can horde loot?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

hakimashou posted:

There's something that effects your chance of success on a choke, but I don't know what the formula is. One big thing is noise, if you're loudly clad its almost impossible to get close enough to land the choke successfully. You can use mercy kill on the cumans fairly effectively if you have the perk (about 1 in 2 chance at five stealth).

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

has anyone tried poison on weapons? how well does it work?

Weirdly.

I think poisoned melee weapons have a chance to apply? They're very inconsistent. Poisoned arrows seem a lot better to me, if you hit them with dollmaker they can't sprint, so all they can do is angrily power walk after you.

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Once you're out of starter hell, you can go to an inn with the lodgings symbol and rent a room "for a few days" which is forever. You get access to a storage chest that is shared between inns.

There's something that effects your chance of success on a choke, but I don't know what the formula is. One big thing is noise, if you're loudly clad its almost impossible to get close enough to land the choke successfully. You can use mercy kill on the cumans fairly effectively if you have the perk (about 1 in 2 chance at five stealth).

It's probably just your stats + perks vs theirs with some rng thrown in.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
getting the monks booze ends the quest to give dirty gossip to nevlas? and now i can't talk to him about it? the gently caress

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
never mind, i still can talk to nevlas about it... i don't know what i need to to finish the quest though - i assume it's finding out what's happening with lucas. who do i talk to to know more about that? the hall monitor monks?

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
The loving horse race is loving stupid and which ever designer came up with is is a loving asshat

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Gridlocked posted:

The loving horse race is loving stupid and which ever designer came up with is is a loving asshat

I just followed the two fastest guys and then went straight up the hill into Tamberl instead of going past and hooking back for the path... got it first time.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
does the horse race have any special reward or is just coins

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

does the horse race have any special reward or is just coins

it's bugged. she's meant to give you a saddle

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Neurosis posted:

it's bugged. she's meant to give you a saddle

does the saddle weigh 0?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I cannot get past early game combat. Even with Cuman armour and a mace I get destroyed by 2 on 1. The auto-lock system completely fucks with me and I end up getting combo'd to death by whoever I'm not targeting.

The lack of manual-saving is really starting to grate on me when I have to keep replaying the same 10 minutes of sprinting across the map just to try and fight the same guys.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
the combat is learnable and winnable but ultimately completely loving awful because of its outrageous reliance on the auto-targetting system. being constantly forced to lock onto someone to handicap for the devs inability to make an AI that can handle being attacked outside of it really fucks up a lot of battles, not the least of which the ones where its you and some allies just full bulldozing through a bunch of dudes that have no hope of defending themselves

its also extremely stat dependent and you'd never know because the HP system isnt granular or obvious enough to display that now that you have +1 mace and +1 str you're just going to like, mace that dude through his block. take a rage/artemeisa potion and watch full armor guys fall apart after one hit

edit: the entire game completely falls apart if you min/max. if i ever want armor or anything i just casually walk through the store while all the guards are busy saying "hello henry how are you doing" to the chest in the back i unlocked ages ago and just steal anything i want. they kinda hosed up and didnt learn what all the older RPGs learned about shops and how you shouldn't be able to straight up steal their stock

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Feb 24, 2018

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
It's weird cause whenever I stumble upon a random Cuman in the woods I can wreck him in a few hits with a mace. But as soon as there are 2 bandits with cloth armour I get destroyed.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
the easiest ways around that are to A: get a bow and kite them a bit which will soften them up (or poison the arrows) or just abuse the combat, hold down shift, prepare a swing and then aim it manually. the ai literally doesnt know how to block if you arent targetting them

or go practice until your stats render mortals a mild inconvenience at best

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
Is there a way to see exactly what the crime you've supposedly committed is? I just sold a huge load of armour to the Rattay armorsmith, haggling the price in my favour quite a bit, and after finishing the deal I suddenly got flagged for a crime, and the little fine icon appeared. I was wearing a stolen pair of pants, which I hurriedly stashed on my horse (though they were 'stolen,' i.e. looted from a corpse, in a totally different place to Rattay), but when I spoke to a guard and let him search me, he said something to the effect of "All this stuff is stolen! I'll have to confiscate the lot," ... except nothing I had on me was stolen and he didn't actually take anything from me as far as I can tell. Yet I still have the crime icon.

Is this just a silly bug, or is there anything I can do about it?

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

i dont even think its a crime to try to sell things that are stolen. perhaps you were seen trespassing for a long rear end time or you didnt have a torch?

i dunno what the crime is if you just ignore the guy yelling at you for an inspection, maybe he was chasing you around town and you didnt notice

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
I'm pretty sure the guard only appeared after I'd been flagged for a crime. Like I said, I got the flag after closing the deal with the armor merchant. I didn't even try selling him anything stolen! I did get a really good deal with haggling, though. Maybe they see my haggling skills as being criminally good. :smug:

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Popete posted:

I cannot get past early game combat. Even with Cuman armour and a mace I get destroyed by 2 on 1. The auto-lock system completely fucks with me and I end up getting combo'd to death by whoever I'm not targeting.

The lack of manual-saving is really starting to grate on me when I have to keep replaying the same 10 minutes of sprinting across the map just to try and fight the same guys.

You should download the unlimited patch mod for real, it's one .pak file you drop in your game data directory and that's it.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

Knobb Manwich posted:

I suspect that the heating times aren't critical so players can discover recipes on their own. If you had to trial and error the heating steps you'd go insane. It'd be cool though if it only told you the heating was right when you got it right.

You also don't really need to guess the base liquid, if you look in the herb part of the book each herb will have the triangle icon for the base.

Each time you do the recipe with the right ingredients, it’ll unlock the recipe in your book and then start unlocking steps to complete the recipe, one at a time. So you do it once and your recipe will now say “Add Nettle to the pot and boil for one turn”, then do it again with that step and it’ll show the next one. Which is I’m assuming the intended way, but with the heating bug you frequently skip all of that and jump to the full recipe.

And pretty sure a couple of times the liquid’s down the bottom have not been the one in the recipe just to confuse me but could be wrong.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Knobb Manwich posted:

"for a few days" which is forever.

oh lol, drat that game. Or well, drat my poor sense of exploration. I never knew that "a few days" is forever.

Time to rent a few rooms for a a few days

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
If I want two commands in my user cfg file, how do I format that?

quote:

r_BatchType = 1

wh_pl_showfirecursor = 1

Second command doesn't seem to be taking effect?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

TipsyMcStagger posted:

The chest in the mill outside Rattay is yours so you can just dump everything in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Previously that day:

This is from the nest of vipers scouting mission. I tried to see if i could pretend to be a bandit and fake my way in via the main bridge since there was only a single cuman standing there. However he attacked me on sight, and i manged to defeat him. But more cumans came. Then some more. Then after the cumans where dead, I thought that had to be all of them. So I went into the camp only to be rushed by a gaggle of bandits. I figured I was dead anyways, so i fled up those narrow stairs and decided to make a last stand to see how many i managed to kill before i died. But as the corpses started to pile up in the narrow stair case the AI couldnt reach me so i could safely stand there and plink at them with arrows, or stab their faces as they struggled to get over the corpses. This kept on for about 15 minutes until the entire camp was empty of bandits and cumans. Jesus christ be praised. (and my St George sword. After i decided to ditch my shield, that sword is killing everything. Heck, i instantly defeated Runt with a jab to the face. )