Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

ImpAtom posted:

He shows up all the time. He's in the movie. He literally appeared in Assassin's Creed Origin. I'm pretty sure you're the only person who didn't recognize him who cares remotely about FFXV.

I haven't played FFIX, but I still knew Kuja well before Dissidia turned up. I only played the PS2 Kingdom Hearts games but I can somehow vaguely follow who's who there. Nier Automata is the only Yoko Taro game I've ever played, but I still somehow knew all the connections entirely through osmosis.

Yet I have heard so little about Ardyn as an outsider that I legitimately thought the villain of FFXV was 'a ghost, maybe'. Maybe it's me, but as someone who hasn't consumed anything of FFXV directly I missed him entirely, and I don't think it's my fault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

You would think after the first few times you would learn to wait half a second for the prompt to appear but :shrug:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

seiferguy posted:

Ward throws a harpoon, not a lance. Kimahri is more blue mage than dragoon (though he can jump, I'll give you that), and Mog is a dancer that still needs accessories to jump, same as Edgar (a machinist).

The one true person I forgot was Estinien, but he's not a playable character.

I mean, the 'dragoon requirements' are kinda arbitrary anyway. Fang only has one real move where she jumps (Launch doesn't count since Lightning and Snow do it too), and she has just as many non-Dragoon things she specializes in as Kimahri.

Also I guess we all forgot about Llyud. He's a spinoff character, but definitely a Dragoon.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Cleretic posted:

I haven't played FFIX, but I still knew Kuja well before Dissidia turned up. I only played the PS2 Kingdom Hearts games but I can somehow vaguely follow who's who there. Nier Automata is the only Yoko Taro game I've ever played, but I still somehow knew all the connections entirely through osmosis.

Yet I have heard so little about Ardyn as an outsider that I legitimately thought the villain of FFXV was 'a ghost, maybe'. Maybe it's me, but as someone who hasn't consumed anything of FFXV directly I missed him entirely, and I don't think it's my fault.

It is

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
It's literally your fault dude, even before the game came out and people were going by just Kingsglaive people called him being the real villain all along. Hell, there were even comparisons with Kefka. Actually, I think there stil lare, though their motivations are extremely different.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

You would think after the first few times you would learn to wait half a second for the prompt to appear but :shrug:

Heres the thing, sometimes it still doesnt work

Also its still stupid. Like you would think people with probably over a decade of experience in game development would notice such a basic mistake

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Cleretic posted:

I haven't played FFIX, but I still knew Kuja well before Dissidia turned up.

Kuja is from a game that's old enough to vote. You re being dumb.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Ardyn is clearly the bad guy when you're playing FFXV. From the moment he first shows up it's "you're being weird and helpful and *mysteeeeerious* and you're totally gonna be evil and I'm gonna pretend to be surprised", but he's not iconic. If you don't know the game and just see a picture of him in announced DLC, there's no reason to think he's anything other than Just Some Guy. Could be a major character, could be some random hobo the fans took a liking to.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Cleretic posted:

I'm a master at knowing things about games I haven't played but even I don't know who this guy is.

What training must I undergo to attain such mastery?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Mega64 posted:

Well first you bend backwards reaaaal far and

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQEii6Fd2Qw

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3

Mega64 posted:

Not from a Jedi.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Relin posted:

uhhh supposedly using a soul spring on chac in x-2 prevents it from using heaven's cataract by draining all its MP

did they change it in the console version then redo it costing the boss no mp for the pc version? because it sure is hell is casting it at no MP

also why, in one of like 5 times in the game I would bother using status effect blocking equipment does her break attack cut through it

i hate x-2

MP costs were added to a lot of enemy attacks in the International version. Making attacking MP a hilariously effective strategy in some cases.

Status protection makes gameplay boring. Chac is a more interesting battle for it.

I love X-2.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

WaltherFeng posted:

Heres the thing, sometimes it still doesnt work

Also its still stupid. Like you would think people with probably over a decade of experience in game development would notice such a basic mistake

well, it led to that comic, which is very funny, so it was all worth it

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Ardyn’s a fantastic villain with an excellent voice actor who steals every scene he’s in, i hate these dead gay forums

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

ROFL Octopus posted:

Ardyn’s a fantastic villain with an excellent voice actor who steals every scene he’s in, i hate these dead gay forums

hell yeah

the series has been on a good run of villains since the wet fart of ff13. caius, gaius, lahabrea, thordan and the heavens' ward, nidhogg, ilberd, fordola, yotsuyu, especially zenos, and ardyn, all very good villains

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

hell yeah

the series has been on a good run of villains since the wet fart of ff13. caius, gaius, lahabrea, thordan and the heavens' ward, nidhogg, ilberd, fordola, yotsuyu, especially zenos, and ardyn, all very good villains

I have no idea what any of those words mean.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
caius is a lovely villain

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

hell yeah

Vayne was an okay villian.

I don't find Zenos that great though personally. He's a fresh new obstacle but eh.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

ApplesandOranges posted:

I don't find Zenos that great though personally. He's a fresh new obstacle but eh.

Zenos had some neat things going for him, but it felt like there was more to him that wasn't there. There had to be some reason he was such an impossibly good swordsman and tactician, and then there just... wasn't.

Yotsuyu, on the other hand, is a masterclass in how to gently caress up writing a good villain by getting too attached to them.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Feb 24, 2018

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Well I'm bouncing off of Type-0 pretty hard, so I'm gonna try Lightning Returns to fill the void until 15 hits PC. Anything I should know going in blind?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

man nurse posted:

Well I'm bouncing off of Type-0 pretty hard, so I'm gonna try Lightning Returns to fill the void until 15 hits PC. Anything I should know going in blind?

Don't sweat the time limit, Chronostasis spam will give you all the time you possibly need.

Don't feel confined to the initial area, there's another one that's more beginner-friendly (Snow's city, I forget its proper name).

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

ApplesandOranges posted:

For as much as they hyped him up, Zenos wasn't that impressive to me.

Yotsuyu was a good villain up until the end credits.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Caius gets interesting once you learn what a gigantic mess he is behind all that overwhelming skill and power. He’s trying to do good, but he’s so broken by his incredibly long, lovely life that he can only make things worse instead.

Like, he’s basically a Final Fantasy protagonist himself, using level-grinding, save-scumming, and broken item combos to try to fix the world by murdering his way through the pantheon and hoping for the best - the catch is that the best does not, in fact, occur, because going through all that has severely warped his judgement.. Like, the FF9 crew manage to deal with Kuja blowing up the universe by killing off the Grim Reaper when he comes to collect, and they all live happily ever after. Caius tries that, and the poor, insane bastard triggers the apocalypse instead.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Feb 24, 2018

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Caius' design was Cai-rear end but I give him props for having a goal and a smart plan to follow through on it.

He basically exploited the broken nature of the FFXIII universe to the point where the heroes couldn't actually beat him, just stall him out.

Granted, this would have been kind of insufferable if FFXIII-2 had been the end of it, but Lightning Returns capped things off well enough.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I think Yotsuyu was an okay villian, and post-credit patches add a new wrinkle on morality debates for the game. Fordola was better used, though.

I do hope they find some better way of weaving the Doma and Ala Mhigo storylines; right now they're still very separate and basically both factions just wait on the Warrior of Light to fix their new problem.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I'm really interested in Final Fantasy XV but refuse to ever pay money for it as long as the avatar you'll be controlling for however many hundreds of hours has like the most obnoxious "gently caress you dad I'm a 98 lb deep and brooding emo you just don't understaaaaaand" human being haircut possible that cannot be changed or even covered with a hat. I just can't get past it.

Like, out of the tons and tons of very likely awesome and engaging content in this game, that's the one thing that absolutely will be on the screen more than literally anything else. It will have almost 100% screen time, and it makes the main character one of the most punchable characters I've ever seen.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Feb 24, 2018

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Good news, you can switch between characters outside of major storyline battles.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I love Caius. I never could tell if the story recognized how right he was to kill the gently caress out of Etro but the game paints Etro as so awful and incompetent that I was totally on Caius' side.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

GreatGreen posted:

I'm really interested in Final Fantasy XV but refuse to ever pay money for it as long as the avatar you'll be controlling for however many hundreds of hours has like the most obnoxious "gently caress you dad I'm a 98 lb deep and brooding emo you just don't understaaaaaand" human being haircut possible that cannot be changed or even covered with a hat.

Like, out of the tons and tons of very likely awesome and engaging content in this game, that's the one thing that absolutely will be on the screen more than literally anything else. It will have almost 100% screen time, and it makes the main character one of the most punchable characters I've ever seen.

I don’t like this post

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'll wait and see what they do with Yotsuyu until I actually see where they go with her plot.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

ROFL Octopus posted:

I don’t like this post

The post is bad. Did we fall through a time warp or something

Zenzizenzizenzic
May 25, 2012

Fun Shoe

ROFL Octopus posted:

I don’t like this post

It sucks.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

GreatGreen posted:

I'm really interested in Final Fantasy XV but refuse to ever pay money for it as long as the avatar you'll be controlling for however many hundreds of hours has like the most obnoxious "gently caress you dad I'm a 98 lb deep and brooding emo you just don't understaaaaaand" human being haircut possible that cannot be changed or even covered with a hat. I just can't get past it.

What the gently caress is this garbage

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

GreatGreen posted:

might wanna keep editing

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

GreatGreen posted:

2002 called they want their edge back

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

ImpAtom posted:

I'll wait and see what they do with Yotsuyu until I actually see where they go with her plot.

It will go in one of two ways, I 100% guarantee it.

1. She regains her memory but is remorseful because of the kindness people have shown her during her amnesiac stages. She is sent off to the Imperials but doesn't tell them anything out of loyalty to her new friends; this silence may or may not get her killed. Regardless, it will be painted as a tragedy that this happens.

Or 2. She doesn't regain her memories, leading to a frustrated Empire not getting her back; there will likely be kidnapping attempts that we'll thwart in a solo instance but this is not guaranteed. She remains a constant background figure and morality pet until the plot moves on from Doma and we never see her again outside from some token appearances in scenes about Lord Hien.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

i'm an emo and proud

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I finally decided to sit down and beat Yiazmat. With 4x speed it's not super long. I had him down in like 30 min, most of the time was spent paused switching up gambits as necessary.

Even then it felt like you could split half of his health and the concept would be the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

GreatGreen posted:

You can put a hat on Noctis right away tbh