Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Oligopsony posted:

Has anything interesting happened in the last year?
New Promethean came out and it's good. Design previews for new Changeling came out as well, likewise good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Jhet posted:

The players in my mage game are creating a mystery cult, and the first person they went to recruit was the vampire hunter that they had essentially brought to the city about a year ago. It's a Maiden's Sisterhood hunter, and she doesn't know that they are mages, and I'm not sure what would happen if she ever really found out. So now said hunter is going to hunt mage supernatural things (for the mages) with the intel (and magic?) that they give her.

These things happen. What could possibly go wrong?

This is some good poo poo, but I'll have to raise you my own hubristic Hunter ally poo poo

So the setup for our Mage campaign is our cabal was pressed by circumstance into investigating the murder of a well-respected local Mystagogue. Very early into the investigation, we discover that the deceased was a Tremere and that there are likely several more Tremere remaining in the city. So okay, cool, we still want to find his killer, but the top priority is definitely finding and eliminating the hidden Tremere among us. Hell, maybe the killer can even end up being an ally, since killing Tremere is pretty okay in our books

Turns out the killer is a Hunter named Zeal, armed with Division Six training and equipment and a burning desire to avenge her soul-stolen little sister. She's got the whole "all Mages are evil Reality Deviants, and they're definitely trying to manipulate me if they start going on about how they're the good ones and they want to work with me to take out the bad ones" perspective, and we screw up our initial attempt to negotiate her, so the "make friends with Zeal" plan is not looking so hot. There's a potential way to win her favor by getting into some wonky Temenotic adventures and restoring her sister's soul, but that goes south too because we're collectively a pack of fickle bitches who get distracted by the first shiny thing we see in the Temenos

From there, things with Zeal are pretty quiet until she decides to make good on her promise to kill all Mages. During a Consilium meeting, a Time master starts bleeding profusely and showing signs of catastrophic paradox trauma, holding on to life just long enough to tell us that Zeal's about to show up in an hour or so and gun down like half the Consilium with a whole crew of rooftop snipers. Thanks to the time rewind we manage to handily disable them all with no further casualties beyond the Time master. So far, so good!

The problem comes when our cabal, as the ones officially investigating these murders, get some leeway in deciding and administering the sentence against Zeal and her Hunters. My character is a big softhearted mess in even the most normal of circumstances, and this all coincidentally happens right after she's used advanced Mind magic to temporarily rewrite her own personality and become even more softhearted for a week. So, feeling guilty that we let Zeal down and didn't get justice for her little sister, my character successfully argues for a non-lethal sentence: wipe all of Zeal's memories about Mages beyond that first Tremere she killed, insert myself into her memories as a friend and local Hunter contact, and hit her up for some co-op assassination when we identify the next Tremere target

Obviously the Sleeping Curse is gonna whittle away at the memory-wiping spell and eventually she's gonna return to full lucidity with even more brutal revenge on her mind. But my character's of the mind that like, there's no need to worry about that because this time I really am gonna get her sister's soul back, plus I'm gonna be such a good friend to her during the time when her memories are wiped that she'll still want to kick it even after she remembers that she wants to kill all of us and that I specifically did horrible things to her mind

Now what could possibly go wrong with that, my guy

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
I've got some Sad Frankenstein chat!

I'm in a Promethean game that's starting back up with some group changes after a hiatus, our scattered throng is convening again, and we've been asked to come up with some supernatural rumors that drew us to this city. They can be from other gamelines, but we have two Plumbum PCs (both Osiran) and it would be good to get some Promethean-specific weirdness. Gimme all your brief Created plot hooks!

My first thought is something from Year Without a Summer, a reclusive Unfleshed who guards a powerful Athanor and has set up weird puzzles and traps and challenges around their hidden lair to make sure only the worthy find it. And also meeting a vampire rock band that's stealing the Unholy's likeness because they dig the look.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Jenny Angel posted:

This is some good poo poo, but I'll have to raise you my own hubristic Hunter ally poo poo
[...]
Now what could possibly go wrong with that, my guy

Absolutely nothing could go wrong with that.

It's just far more likely that every thing will go wrong with that. Mage is a good game for a ST to hand each of the players a shovel and let them keep digging until their hole is about 6' deep and a rectangle. Except they'll all argue about what the ideal shape for that hole is, and none of them will agree that 6' is the right depth and miss the dirt being shoveled in on top of them.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Jhet posted:

It's just far more likely that every thing will go wrong with that. Mage is a good game for a ST to hand each of the players a shovel and let them keep digging until their hole is about 6' deep and a rectangle. Except they'll all argue about what the ideal shape for that hole is, and none of them will agree that 6' is the right depth and miss the dirt being shoveled in on top of them.

"Hubris, my one insignificant flaw!" the Thyrsus cried, moments before the furious howler monkeys were upon him.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Jhet posted:

Thankfully my Storyteller is known goodposter Joe Slowboat, so the dirt will take the form of powerful tragic pathos that very thoughtfully weaves in various narratie threads that have been set up for like a year and change

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Iunno I'm going to run that howler monkeys idea past our Thyrsus, sorry Jenny, it's too good to pass up.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014
The Vengeance of the Monkey Host.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Scion, Trinity, and the sea person game they haven't shown much of yet could get their own thread since they use the same system.

Sea person game?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Dawgstar posted:

My favorite bit about the Skeletal Lord was that he insisted on every word he spoke to be written down as you never know when you might have a prohpecy in there somewhere. And given his purview was everybody in the West who died of disease (more or less) he was powerful enough that they had to be absolutely sure he wasn't paying attention when they made little 'cuckoo' noises behind his back.
The Deathlords and their setting implications were, I thought, interesting and well done, and this despite only a couple of them being traditionally antagonistic. I think the Smiling Lord was the big one who caused mass problems, and of course he also has his wonderful offer to provide a certain form of justice, which is actually, by and large, carried through.

One of the weakest things, I thought - and which WR20 seems to have toned down - was the weird China Rising mass invasion thing, although that's its entire own subtext in the World of Darkness Metaplot Jamboree.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

spectralent posted:

Sea person game?

They Came From Beneath the Sea, a humor/horor game inspired by B-movies. Not the dudes who wrecked all the Mediteranian civilizations back in the day.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Nessus posted:

The Deathlords and their setting implications were, I thought, interesting and well done, and this despite only a couple of them being traditionally antagonistic. I think the Smiling Lord was the big one who caused mass problems, and of course he also has his wonderful offer to provide a certain form of justice, which is actually, by and large, carried through.

One of the weakest things, I thought - and which WR20 seems to have toned down - was the weird China Rising mass invasion thing, although that's its entire own subtext in the World of Darkness Metaplot Jamboree.

Well, Yu Huang is the ultimate evil emperor, and it's part of the setting that his subjects are being oppressed.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

neaden posted:

They Came From Beneath the Sea, a humor/horor game inspired by B-movies. Not the dudes who wrecked all the Mediteranian civilizations back in the day.

Yeah, I couldn't remember the name at the time but that's the one. That would be a cool Werewolf/Mummy dark eras setting.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I want to thank whoever it was that posted the advice saying "Give your players options for dramatic failures and let them chose". I have had more optional dfs in my werewolf game than any before.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Kellsterik posted:

I've got some Sad Frankenstein chat!

I'm in a Promethean game that's starting back up with some group changes after a hiatus, our scattered throng is convening again, and we've been asked to come up with some supernatural rumors that drew us to this city. They can be from other gamelines, but we have two Plumbum PCs (both Osiran) and it would be good to get some Promethean-specific weirdness. Gimme all your brief Created plot hooks!

My first thought is something from Year Without a Summer, a reclusive Unfleshed who guards a powerful Athanor and has set up weird puzzles and traps and challenges around their hidden lair to make sure only the worthy find it. And also meeting a vampire rock band that's stealing the Unholy's likeness because they dig the look.

I wish I had something for you, but my game has barely gone long enough for me to get one arc in, and now we're going on a break to make sure things don't get stale before moving on to the next arc.

Our arc just finished last week when the party broke into an alchemist base, snuck in under cover of night, and got easily manipulated by the lead alchemist into selling their NPC ally (the genitor of one of the party members who they had picked up a few sessions back due to his personal animosity with said alchemist).

The party then started blowing the money on dog treats for their pet (his name is Barkenstein) and hot springs vacations. One of the players assures me her character's conscience will catch up to her soon and they'll start caring about going on a rescue mission (which i suppose will be our next arc), but honestly if they didn't I'd be cool with that just being the end of that story.

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

Warthur posted:

the Angel Summoner vs. BMX Bandit problem.

I did not know this existed! This is hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFuMpYTyRjw

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
So here's a fun one: for my break between Promethean arcs I'm running a hacked 2e Second Sight game, which I expected to be harder than it is. Just 2e mortal with the Second Sight merits tacked on.

It's set in 1890 because I still loving Dark Eras, and when I revealed this to one of my players, he revealed that the Changeling game that I created a character for and is going to start soon is set in the same year, but in London. So we decided to do parallel games. I'm creating a precog NPC ship captain who goes back and forth between Boston and London so he can appear in both games. That'll probably be the extent of the link, but it's just fun to have that bit of continuity.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

More of a furnace, really
Matthew Dawkins aka The Gentleman Gamer is doing a livestream right now after a long absence. He's the mind behind They Came From Beneath The Sea and a developer on several OPP projects, including lead on the CofD crossover thing Contagion Chronicles, so it might be of interest.

He's also apparently working on V5, which is expected to drop sometime this year.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Couple questions before I hit google later:

Anyone have a good list of bans and banes for spirits? Random, separated by spirit type, whatever. Same thing with totems or a guide to designing a good totem.

Second: How much damage does a frag grenade do? My woofs accidentally went loud in raiding the weapons stash of the podunk white nationalists.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Soonmot posted:

Anyone have a good list of bans and banes for spirits? Random, separated by spirit type, whatever. Same thing with totems or a guide to designing a good totem.

I can't recommend Werewolf's Predators book more. The first chapter has a wide variety of spirits divided into different choirs, each with 'These type of spirits generally have banes like this,' sections for banes, that can probably be divided into second edition's bans and banes or at least inform what fitting ones might be like.

Totems are really going to be pack dependent, if you don't want to look at Predators for that the various city/area books like Hunting Grounds: Rockies, Chicago, the Pure and War Against the Pure have some totems, though in some cases it's just a rough description and not stats. But, again, it's a spirit the pack would like to hunt beside or otherwise band them together.

quote:

Second: How much damage does a frag grenade do? My woofs accidentally went loud in raiding the weapons stash of the podunk white nationalists.

Standard frag grenade does +2 damage with Blast Area of 10 and Force 3, a heavy frag does +3 with Blast Area of 5 and Force 4.

With explosives, at ground zero, the damage (2 or 3) is Aggravated and inflicted on everything in the radius (werewolves would downgrade this to Lethal), characters in the Blast Area would get that damage in Lethal, and the secondary blast area (2x the original) in Bashing. Force causes additional damage, rolled again as a dicepool (so 3 or 4).

A better write-up is in Hurt Locker, where this information is taken from.

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

Soonmot posted:

Couple questions before I hit google later:

Explosives in CofD 2e are a bit complicated to explain succinctly. We keep trying to get them into the core rules chapters of corebooks and failing (I'm giving it another go with Deviant, and may steal wordcount from elsewhere to do it)

EDIT: And someone beat me to it

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Thanks to you both. I actually bought Hurt Locker and should have looked in there!

Time to go buy Predators!

plaintiff
May 15, 2015

So, Mind's Eye Society is doing a crossover game, and it includes Beast. Therefore I'm not going to play it. The problem is, the organization's handbook has an injunction against playing blatantly triggering concepts, or using real-life abusive and oppressive themes. Considering how abuse-happy Beast is, I'm concerned that they might be making a huge mistake. Is it worth writing to national staff explaining why they really shouldn't give BtP play?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

do NOT jack off posted:

So, Mind's Eye Society is doing a crossover game, and it includes Beast. Therefore I'm not going to play it. The problem is, the organization's handbook has an injunction against playing blatantly triggering concepts, or using real-life abusive and oppressive themes. Considering how abuse-happy Beast is, I'm concerned that they might be making a huge mistake. Is it worth writing to national staff explaining why they really shouldn't give BtP play?

It's definitely worth a time but given that before I stopped playing with the MES I met literally nobody who saw any problem with it I wouldn't get my hopes up.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

do NOT jack off posted:

What's your worth? Is there value to having your voice heard and not simply silently walking away, so that awareness persists? I'd say yes. Are there odds of staff listening to you and taking a stand on Beast, or carefully managing and signposting the venue? I'd say probably they won't.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

do NOT jack off posted:

What if you were to make the shittiest and most abusive Beast possible, in order to demonstrate unto them the dangers of allowing Beasts?

Potential goon project here???

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Bedlamdan posted:

What if you were to make the shittiest and most abusive Beast possible, in order to demonstrate unto them the dangers of allowing Beasts?

Potential goon project here???

Ironic lovely behavior is still lovely behavior. Best avoid that trash fire.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Twibbit posted:

Ironic lovely behavior is still lovely behavior. Best avoid that trash fire.

It could be like an episode of Always Sunny, but IRL.

"The Gang goes to a LARP"

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I Am Just a Box posted:

What's your worth? Is there value to having your voice heard and not simply silently walking away, so that awareness persists? I'd say yes. Are there odds of staff listening to you and taking a stand on Beast, or carefully managing and signposting the venue? I'd say probably they won't.
If this is a case of "skipping a single event" I would register your complaint, if it was a case of "this is essentially leaving the group" I'd raise hell on my way out; why not?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The only Beast I would play would be Godzilla killing other Beasts to maintain his status as King of Monsters.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

MonsieurChoc posted:

The only Beast I would play would be Godzilla killing other Beasts to maintain his status as King of Monsters.

This is basically the only win condition in the game that doesn't result in you becoming an unplayable NPC. Which is why Beast is kind of terrible for group play!

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

So do we have another thread for Aeon and Scion stuff or do we just post in here?

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

paradoxGentleman posted:

So do we have another thread for Aeon and Scion stuff or do we just post in here?

Not yet. Someone might make one once there's more out, but until someone feels like doing that it's all here.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Okay, cool. Me and my online group are preparing a double-feature Scion campaign. I'll GM one group, and act as player in another one, with at least the possibility of some crossover (how? we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. Thing's not even off the ground yet). We're a big group with a lot of love to give and we've been hyped about this for a while now. I'll keep you posted on how things develop.

For now, one of the players is unsatisfied with the Healer calling because it's literally just about being a medic, and when she read that Healers could also be "people who fix things and make things right" she wanted to do that except that there's no support for that, at least at the Origins level.

Me, I'm going to be playing a scion of Eshu Elegbara, although I'm probably going to refer to him as Papa Legba for ease of writing it. I've been doing some research on New Orleans because I'd like my character to be from there. Anybody got any recommendations on where to look? For now I've pretty much just googled things like "New Orleans culture" and things like that.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

This is a fairly well-reviewed book, albeit somewhat aged - it's 30 years old now.

This one is by an actual houngan, and probably involves some practice as well as history and cultural importance, as they exist today.

You're going to run into some weirdness with New Orleans because the pre- and post-Katrina cultures are not going to be the same. Connected, sure, but Katrina changed things a lot. This was published just after Katrina, with a foreword added ten years later examining the effects.

This is by a local reporter, talking about stories and memories people in the city have.

This is an atlas with 20 essays on New Orleans and its geography as history.

This is just after a brief search. I'm not sure if you were looking for books, but...well, you got books. They all look like interesting reads. If you don't want to buy them, check at your local library to see if they have any or can get them - interlibrary loan's a wonderful thing.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
Also let me recommend Nine Lives: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001NLL482/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

...and the judgmental map: http://judgmentalmaps.com/post/98323841965/neworleans

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
just refreshing the scion backerkit page over and over again

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015
I'm doing the exact same thing

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Neall is telling me "hopefully this week" so you can probably save your f5 for tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Rand Brittain posted:

Neall is telling me "hopefully this week" so you can probably save your f5 for tonight.

Good to know!