Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
my good pal runs https://techworkerscoalition.org/ which right now is bay area only

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Krankenstyle posted:

no, that is bad. this enables employers to force employees to become members of a lovely union

make the union agreement legally binding for all employees whether theyre organized or not. this protects the stragglers. it does require a critical mass that yall are nowhere near though.

except if the union is bad, the employees can vote to switch unions and there’s sweet gently caress all the employer can do about it. I don’t recall the specifics of the process but unions can be very aggressive when that time comes around

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

FrozenVent posted:

except if the union is bad, the employees can vote to switch unions and there’s sweet gently caress all the employer can do about it. I don’t recall the specifics of the process but unions can be very aggressive when that time comes around

im saying that letting the employers* gatekeep employment via union membership is the same as not having unions at all.

*) or an imaginary majority of employees who were definitely not told to change to the bullshit union or get fired.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Krankenstyle posted:

im saying that letting the employers* gatekeep employment via union membership is the same as not having unions at all.

it’s not the employer doing the gate keeping, it’s the union.

quote:

*) or an imaginary majority of employees who were definitely not told to change to the bullshit union or get fired.

again, in a sane jurisdiction, that’s illegal as gently caress, and if you do it the non lovely unions will support your employees' effort to sue the poo poo out of you

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i think you forget that live in the real world.

in my socialst country, unions dont gatekeep access; they force employers to give all benefits to all employees whether theyre organized or not. even if youre in the worst union, youll still get the agreed minimum, the extras, whatever.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Krankenstyle posted:

no, that is bad. this enables employers to force employees to become members of a lovely union

make the union agreement legally binding for all employees whether theyre organized or not. this protects the stragglers. it does require a critical mass that yall are nowhere near though.

this is right to work btw and it’s theft of labor from the union org

nonmembers don’t pay for the work done to organize or the work the union does to negotiate the contract or for labor representation that the union is legally required to provide in any disputes with the employer

in non rtw states, in closed shops u can opt out of membership but you will be charged for these services

decertification exists for bad unions.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

maybe im bad with words or theres a core difference i dont know about

say im not organized and i start working somewhere. two possibilities:

A: place has an agreement with a union & i am thus covered by the union re minimum wage, the basics. they wont protect me as a nonmember if i get fired, but i can join any union i want, and they will protect me if needed.

B: place has no agreement with any union
i wouldnt work there cause they pay idk 10 bucks an hour or something. these places exist & theyre awful.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

what you describe in A does not exist, except in RTW states where the unions are dying because people go “uh why bother paying dues.”

normal union places go hired -> join union -> be a member of the union

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

well it does exist in developed countries, but also as i said literally 10 hrs ago, you dont have the substrate for it.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

I’m in Canada, I used to work in a place where we had three different unions for 25 employees and I’ve never heard of someone in a union position not being a union member

the grievances would be loving epic

seriously almost had a grievance once because a member of union A helped out a member of union B to do a job without calling out another B person on overtime

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
there’s a union at my workplace but I have no idea what they do or what the impact of joining is; it may just be full of cranks or something — they send me email newsletters now and then :ohdear:

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
https://twitter.com/TheRegister/status/967134515104591872

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

FrozenVent posted:

I’m in Canada, I used to work in a place where we had three different unions for 25 employees and I’ve never heard of someone in a union position not being a union member

seriously almost had a grievance once because a member of union A helped out a member of union B to do a job without calling out another B person on overtime

what is "union position"?

regardless, that sounds like a mess. unions shouldnt fight. unions are for the workers, not for themselves.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

some jobs are unions, some aren’t

like say the guys working in the factory are unions. the receptionist might not be (non union worker); the plant manager definitely isn’t (management)

now you might also have the factory operators be part of one union, while the maintenance workers are part of another and facility maintenance is a third.

each of these unions might have multiple CBA, say one for the teapot extrudor operator and one for the teapot polishing guys

works fairly well in practice

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Krankenstyle posted:

you dont have the substrate for it.

yep. this is really the long and short of it. erode the “collective” from collective bargaining and you’re left with jack poo poo.

Krankenstyle posted:

unions shouldnt fight. unions are for the workers, not for themselves.

labor unions meet the baby boomer ethos. oil and water.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

FrozenVent posted:

it happens occasionally in the public service, where someone doesn't want to join a union for whatever reason

they still pay dues and they get the same benefits as set out in the collective agreement, they just don't vote and i'm not sure they can strike

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Krankenstyle posted:

what is "union position"?

regardless, that sounds like a mess. unions shouldnt fight. unions are for the workers, not for themselves.

a job

and holy poo poo do they fight. if you want a labourer to materialize out of nowhere, ask a carpenter to carry a 4' board to the truck

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

also sucking poorly-made robot dicks might be bad for you

https://www.jhsph.edu/news/news-releases/2018/study-lead-and-other-toxic-metals-found-in-e-cigarette-vapors.html

quote:

Significant amounts of toxic metals, including lead, leak from some e-cigarette heating coils and are present in the aerosols inhaled by users, according to a study from scientists at Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health.

In the study, published online in Environmental Health Perspectives on February 21, the scientists examined e-cigarette devices owned by a sample of 56 users. They found that significant numbers of the devices generated aerosols with potentially unsafe levels of lead, chromium, manganese and/or nickel.

For the new study, Rule and her colleagues, including lead author Pablo Olmedo, PhD, who was a postdoctoral researcher at the Bloomberg School at the time of his work on the study, recruited 56 daily e-cigarette users from vaping conventions and e-cigarette shops around Baltimore during the fall of 2015. Working with participants’ devices, which they brought to the researchers’ lab at the Bloomberg School, the scientists tested for the presence of 15 metals in the e-liquids in the vapers’ refilling dispensers, the e-liquids in their coil-containing e-cigarette tanks and in the generated aerosols.

Consistent with prior studies, they found minimal amounts of metals in the e-liquids within refilling dispensers, but much larger amounts of some metals in the e-liquids that had been exposed to the heating coils within e-cigarette tanks. The difference indicated that the metals almost certainly had come from the coils. Most importantly, the scientists showed that the metal contamination carried over to the aerosols produced by heating the e-liquids.

Of the metals significantly present in the aerosols, lead, chromium, nickel and manganese were the ones of most concern, as all are toxic when inhaled. The median lead concentration in the aerosols, for example, was about 15 µg/kg, or more than 25 times greater than the median level in the refill dispensers. Almost 50 percent of aerosol samples had lead concentrations higher than health-based limits defined by the Environmental Protection Agency. Similarly, median aerosol concentrations of nickel, chromium and manganese approached or exceeded safe limits.

but we didn't put any metals in the vape juice bro, it's fine, just dab it on this hot piece of exposed chromium

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
vaping conventions. lol.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

FrozenVent posted:

some jobs are unions, some aren’t

like say the guys working in the factory are unions. the receptionist might not be (non union worker); the plant manager definitely isn’t (management)

now you might also have the factory operators be part of one union, while the maintenance workers are part of another and facility maintenance is a third.

each of these unions might have multiple CBA, say one for the teapot extrudor operator and one for the teapot polishing guys

works fairly well in practice

receptionists and admin assistants at my workplace can be union

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

gross if "union position" means "a job"

anyway, go, join, go!

saturate the market (!) w organized qualified.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

President Beep posted:

vaping conventions. lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0w57ZoloYc

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Krankenstyle posted:

gross if "union position" means "a job"

what would you call a space for an employee in an organization that can only be filled by a union member?

not bagging on you, genuinely curious; i've worked in lots of places where some jobs are union and some aren't

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

thank you. that was v good.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

lancemantis posted:

there’s a union at my workplace but I have no idea what they do or what the impact of joining is; it may just be full of cranks or something — they send me email newsletters now and then :ohdear:

you should probably join them

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

President Beep posted:

thank you. that was v good.

i like the first half and also i ve got a stoma lmao

that purp cloud

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

flakeloaf posted:

what would you call a space for an employee in an organization that can only be filled by a union member?

not bagging on you, genuinely curious; i've worked in lots of places where some jobs are union and some aren't

idk this is foreign to me. a position can be filled by a qualified person or a big fat idiot but idk that the union is in there at all

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

if the employer could just say “hey we’re going to hire some non-union toolpushers” what the gently caress kind of leverage would the toolpusher’s union have?

part of a cba includes a provision that all people in X, Y and Z positions have to be union

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

flakeloaf posted:

also sucking poorly-made robot dicks might be bad for you

https://www.jhsph.edu/news/news-releases/2018/study-lead-and-other-toxic-metals-found-in-e-cigarette-vapors.html

but we didn't put any metals in the vape juice bro, it's fine, just dab it on this hot piece of exposed chromium
worse for you than cigs? no? still a net good

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

FrozenVent posted:

if the employer could just say “hey we’re going to hire some non-union toolpushers” what the gently caress kind of leverage would the toolpusher’s union have?

part of a cba includes a provision that all people in X, Y and Z positions have to be union

yes! theywe can do that! all "gently caress union guys" & no organized peep will work there ever. except yall poo poo is hosed so everyone will work there forever.

i guess it works better when theres a welfare minimum

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Whoever called the self-driving car "revolution" falling back to remote drivers once the movers and shakers realized the problem is too hard for them to solve was right on the money.

https://venturebeat.com/2018/02/23/california-could-see-self-driving-cars-with-remote-drivers-in-april/

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
can’t wait for the remote driver to go afk on a highway 🤪

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

goddamn, they're really doing it

i honestly think i would rather trust my life to a current-model "self-driving" car than to a bored, tired guy 500 miles away attempting to drive multiple cars at once over a laggy, congested mobile data link

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

Sagebrush posted:

a bored, tired guy 500 miles away

500 miles seems wildly optimistic.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

i'm the 4:20 video length

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Fiedler posted:

500 miles seems wildly optimistic.

the article suggests that cars in the bay area would be driven by people in las vegas, but yeah, realistically it's gonna be bangalore

CAR VOICE: "self-driving features have degraded due to weather. switching to remote operation"
*car horn immediately goes off and doesn't stop*

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Rex-Goliath posted:

i'm the 4:20 video length

purp cloud

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Whoever called the self-driving car "revolution" falling back to remote drivers once the movers and shakers realized the problem is too hard for them to solve was right on the money.

https://venturebeat.com/2018/02/23/california-could-see-self-driving-cars-with-remote-drivers-in-april/

That seems like the logical stepping stone. Use remote drivers then gradually ween them off to handling more cars per operator until it reaches the break-off point.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

wide stance posted:

That seems like the logical stepping stone. Use remote drivers then gradually ween them off to handling more cars per operator until it reaches the break-off point.

until every crash involving a remote driver descends into a multi-year, multi-country, multi-million dollar lawsuit trying to determine who is liable, making insurance for "driverless" cars more expensive than space travel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

wide stance posted:

Use remote drivers then gradually ween them off

i think i'll just use paypal thanks