Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

also on a similar note, what's the deal with the AI demanding tribute, not sending a demand, receiving tribute anyway and then bitching next turn about not getting tribute?

is ES2 still in such a lovely situation even, after its first expansion, that diplomacy doesn't work?

They do that occasionally and apparently they will accept a gift as tribute but what the threshold is to count as "enough" I don't know.

But usually if the ai talks to you, they expect you to do something in response and will be mad if you don't.

Edit; I have the most trouble with tribute and military aid. Everything else seems to work, like suggesting alliances or deals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

usually they ask for about half your dust, which i handed over while plotting to murder them while they sleep. instead i get the intensely irritating I shall deFEND the FAITH, WHAT EVER that reQUIRES message

but yeah allies also have extremely unrealistic expectations re: military aid. sure fellas lemme just teleport my ships to the other end of the galaxy in five turns to stop you getting a hair up your rear end over some marauding scouts

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I just ignore the AI sending taunting messages, then nuke them from orbit.

HundredBears
Feb 14, 2012

Rhjamiz posted:

They do that occasionally and apparently they will accept a gift as tribute but what the threshold is to count as "enough" I don't know.

If the bar indicating how much the AI likes the deal is on its side of the screen and green when you offer tribute, it's enough. That one took me a few war declarations to figure out.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

I only just noticed that the ground battle units can have minor faction sprites mixed in amongst your troops, cute detail.

Playing vaulters and as well as some sisters of mercy units I've got some silic looking units in there too. I don't think they're pulsos as I haven't met them yet, maybe a dungeon/legend reference?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

another ES2 question - why the devil is there a Hamilton event chain (Million Things I Haven't Done)

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

why am i next to the cravers and vodyani every single loving game

does the placement of a civ in the "pick opponents" section of starting a new game actually matter for their placement in the galaxy? i have literally never started next to the unfallen or horatio

If anyone has an answer to this, I'd love to hear it. Perennial Vod/Craver neighbours are no fun.
The only time that hasn't happened to me is when I played Horatio, and set all my opponents as Horatio, which resulted in the most beautiful galaxy imaginable. (Am considering an all-Craver hellwar galaxy for the next round.)

Incidentally, has anyone worked out where the Vodyani accent comes from? It's sort of a weird New Zealand-Transylvanian-British hybrid.
Even in HOly WAR, diPLOmacy reMAINS an OPtion.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Confirmation Bias, or maybe just plain bad luck. I've had plenty of Unfallen neighbors, which are super toxic since you need to murder them asap else they'll take your worlds all peace-like. Like, not even beat them back with fleets, but out-and-out extermination, which is why they're so farking annoying. Gimmie a warmongering nation any day over them.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I feel like I always get the Lumeris starting next to me. And I have a raging hardon for annihilating them.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I feel like I always get the Lumeris starting next to me. And I have a raging hardon for annihilating them.

Bet you do for the good ol busty dragons.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the titfrogs always message me saying they're being 'sneaky' while not actually doing anything

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

the titfrogs always message me saying they're being 'sneaky' while not actually doing anything

Generally that means they're sending a fleet from wherever to try and get to you. Unfortunately it usually takes too long so it looks real dumb.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I feel like alliances and win conditions might need some tweaking. I just won a science game with the Vaulters while allied with the Sophons and Horatio by researching the four techs and just leaving the alliance. It felt cheesy, getting the alliance bonuses and then just peacing out to claim victory myself. If I just gifted the techs to them would we have just won as an alliance?

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Fhqwhgads posted:

I feel like alliances and win conditions might need some tweaking. I just won a science game with the Vaulters while allied with the Sophons and Horatio by researching the four techs and just leaving the alliance. It felt cheesy, getting the alliance bonuses and then just peacing out to claim victory myself. If I just gifted the techs to them would we have just won as an alliance?

I did the same to my player alliance in a game as Lumeris. Colonized all the needed systems and jumped ship

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

I don't think you even need to do that, just you meeting a victory condition while in an alliance means the whole alliance wins iirc.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Overminty posted:

I don't think you even need to do that, just you meeting a victory condition while in an alliance means the whole alliance wins iirc.

When I joined the alliance the number of game winning techs needed jumped from four to 12. Which made me believe all three members needed the four victory techs. Also the dust needed to win economically skyrocketed. But as soon as I left the alliance the science number dropped to four and I won after hitting next turn.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

Well that's loving silly then lmao. Should make it so that you can't win for x number of turns after leaving an alliance or something. Give the rest of the alliance time to gang up on you.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Overminty posted:

Well that's loving silly then lmao. Should make it so that you can't win for x number of turns after leaving an alliance or something. Give the rest of the alliance time to gang up on you.

That was more like what I was expecting but nope.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Overminty posted:

This is how it worked for Endless Legend; ES2 makes everything scale. It'd make more sense if the target number (for techs/wonders/etc.) went up for the alliance but each individual faction needed to contribute less than if they pursued the victory themselves (like requiring 1-2 wonders per alliance member instead of 3). At the moment there's no reason to stick around once you know you've got the individual win secured.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
Booted this up again to try Vaulters and fighters/bombers, and I was a bit nonplussed to see that they still hadn't rectified the balance problem of the player being able to build a single ship with more offensive power than a whole 30+ command point fleet of anything the AI will build and field, even at tech parity.

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

Big bug fix patch: http://store.steampowered.com/news/?appids=392110 . No fix for disappearing ships, but

quote:

The politics representative hero is now the one with the most "On Senate" skills, instead of the oldest one

:woop:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Autism Sneaks posted:

Booted this up again to try Vaulters and fighters/bombers, and I was a bit nonplussed to see that they still hadn't rectified the balance problem of the player being able to build a single ship with more offensive power than a whole 30+ command point fleet of anything the AI will build and field, even at tech parity.

I wish the ai would be better at this :(

Koboje
Sep 20, 2005

Quack
I have finally gotten into and started to understand Endless Legend after being confused the previous times I tried it and am having very good time with it except for a few things. I only own the base game, planning the get a few DLCs next time they go on sale.

I have been playing on Hard difficulty but the AI just seems to not get that declaring war on me when I have both numerical and quality superiority, and usually also good pre-war positioning, is a very, very, VERY bad move. Especially since in my current game as Roving Clans it just means I Insta Market ban them, crush their usually singular army, take one or more of their cities, then take more cities or their useful techs and resources in their now horribly desperate pleas for Truce, these wars usually last all of 2 turns and repeat soon after the truce is over, or whenever if the Plague insects are involved. I had planned to win economically or science or something like that, but this is making it far too easy to just win a Military victory of some kind. Not being able to declare war means nothing when the AI self destructively declares them for me.

This happened in my earlier non Roving clans games as well, but at least then I could understand them considering me a threat, here I would have stayed a trading economy person if they had just let me, they even had me boxed in and unable to expand.

Also Cultists seem to get clowned on and destroyed early on in every game, either by me or AI.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
The cultists starting unit is a support unit, they have intentionally poo poo Age1 military. They're still fun to play as, you just need to find something, literally anything else and make a lot of it. I personally find that the AI usually isn't belligerent [discluding Necrophages] unless you're aggressively running around stealing their Pearls (xpack), pillaging (xpack), or otherwise antagonizing them. ... Actually, I have no idea how you're pissing them off in base game, good work I guess?

The AI definitely has a military issue where it: A; doesn't use high enough level units, usually because it's not keeping the starting doomstack gaining xp, but rather building lot of stuff and leaving it lying around as lvl2. And B; vastly underestimates how nasty your stack is. This is related to the first point. It DOES seem to love researching every exotic weapons&armour tech, and does a good job keeping them updated, so there's that. My only tip would be to keep increasing the difficulty; eventually the AI gets such silly production bonus' that it can just throw out a fully kitted stack every few turns (and being aggresive with them), denying you the chance to tech ahead and making the unkillable doomstack of veterans.

Mjolnerd
Jan 28, 2006

Smellrose
Endless Space 2 currently on sale for 50% on steam. vaulters xpac sadly is not.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Mjolnerd posted:

Endless Space 2 currently on sale for 50% on steam. vaulters xpac sadly is not.

Part of SEGA's Make War not Love annual event.

Mjolnerd
Jan 28, 2006

Smellrose

IAmTheRad posted:

Part of SEGA's Make War not Love annual event.

need to set a reminder to wait until valentine's day if i want to purchase a sega published strategy game...

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
The ES2 site has voting up for a new faction. They're adding a new espionage-based race and are getting the community to vote on what the faction looks like, what their home planet is like, what their backstory is etc etc.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I'd like to see them do an espionage race that's not super dark and all shifty looking, but rather go the opposite. Let's go bright, cute, and cuddly because no one expects the life of the party cutest furball ever to actually be trying to steal your Baryonic Shielding or whatever.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Tree Bucket posted:

The ES2 site has voting up for a new faction. They're adding a new espionage-based race and are getting the community to vote on what the faction looks like, what their home planet is like, what their backstory is etc etc.
WHY. WHY WONT THIS TROPE DIE.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

many bothans died to embed this idea in popular conciousness

unless you refer to the idea of espionage in strategy games? in which case i still agree

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

many bothans died to embed this idea in popular conciousness

unless you refer to the idea of espionage in strategy games? in which case i still agree
Is mostly option 2. Its just baffles me because I feel that most times espionage systems are tacked on and essentially end up being a fun tax (as in, something that you HAVE TO address otherwise you get dicked or have a disadvantage you otherwise wouldnt have).

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

WHY. WHY WONT THIS TROPE DIE.

Because Darlocks owned in MOO1 because you could puppet master other empires into fighting eachother.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

alpha centauri probe teams were great but i think the game was, like, designed with them fully in mind

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

alpha centauri probe teams were great but i think the game was, like, designed with them fully in mind

alpha centauri probe teams (like the civ 1/civ 2 units they copy) aren't boring but they are insanely broken

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Espionage is on paper interesting in strategy games because it's a method of interacting with the game that does not 'clean up' the board and make things more boring the better you are at it. That's why I assume it's appealing to designers.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
I hope they just make 'espionage' an exclusive ability of the new faction, rather than introduce a whole subsystem for it.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

alpha centauri probe teams (like the civ 1/civ 2 units they copy) aren't boring but they are insanely broken

yes :q:

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

idk what you mean by "designed with them fully in mind" then because they clearly did not think about the implications of, say, tech stealing for a fraction of a second before dropping that in there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

well i mean they weren't a boring piece of poo poo tacked onto a game as part of an expansion

e: by which i mean, see earlier games, like EL or Civ4. maybe the ES2 ones will be good!