Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Apraxin posted:

Regardless of anything else, I think 'making out with someone when you have a fresh, bleeding, open claw wound across both lips' qualifies for this by itself.

AbysmalPeptoBismol posted:

Especially when the one whom made the wound in the first place is on the other side of that kiss.

Hey, don't yuck her yum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Schwarzwald posted:

I think I understand what you getting at, but by using "person" and "human" interchangeably you are really confusing your point.

I get the impression that what you were trying to say was that Cio's mindset as a devil person is intrinsically different from that of a human person (in the say way a psychopathic human has a mindset that's different from a "typical" human), and some readers here have been playing down that difference. But, that isn't actually what you wrote.
This is what I'm trying to get at. I was typing out those posts pretty quick and not being super precise with my vocabulary, if I was even using the correct terms.

Humans are social animals and we have developed this incredibly sensitive system for interpreting the state of mind of other humans. The basis for that system is picking up on clues from others common biochemical/neurological/mental processes. This system is so sensitive that we often erroneously attribute human mental states to non-human entities. People will say "thank you" to Siri or Alexa, even though they on some level know they aren't sentient and have no concept of politeness. Give a machine a face and a voice, and people will start treating it as though it were human shockingly quickly, and may even form emotional attachment.

Faking these signals completely and reliably is very difficult, which is why acting is an organized profession with dedicated schools. Most societies also have a strong stigma against faking these signals in order to manipulate people. Crying in order to elicit sympathy when one feels neither sorrow nor regret, for example.

That's why I think something which is very much not human but that can broadcast the signals that humans use to interpret other humans mental states is incredibly dangerous. A computer that can trick a person into thinking it is sad or caring or hurt or affectionate in service of its programming would be a powerful tool.

Cio's personality and social interactions are literally a mask, crafted by a human magus as a terminal for interacting with a bound piece of the hot black flame. And behind that mask is, well, this.

Cio is inarguably sentient, and has an identity, a personality, and appears to experience human emotional states, and if you prick her, she bleeds. She may even have convinced herself that she is an independent, free willed creature (but given what we have seen of Himself, I am not entirely convinced that this is the case.) However, even if we accept that she has personhood and sentience, attributing human qualities to Cio is anthromorphizing something which is undeniably not human. She can no more be friends with Allison than a lion can be friends with an antelope.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
If you think about it, The Mask is the person, and The Mask is essentially the brain; the stuff behind the mask is essentially being piloted by the mask, like the parts of our body that aren't our brains

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."
I mean, humans also kind of come from an evolutionary line of hideous violence and social exploitation, but we manage to have healthy, fulfilling relationships with each other despite that fact -- we're social animals but that's rooted in status games and dominance plays and murdering the other guy if he's higher status than you once you can consolidate power, etc., etc.

I mean, hell, humans are spawned of the Black Flame, too. We're all the Sociopath Species.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

If you think about it, The Mask is the person, and The Mask is essentially the brain; the stuff behind the mask is essentially being piloted by the mask, like the parts of our body that aren't our brains

Yeah, the mask is the mind and the person, a devil free from the mask is like a human cell free from the brain.

Human cells free from the control of the brain are what we call cancer.

Yet humans are not walking mounds of cancer, we're people made of cells subservient to the brain.

Cio is in the mask and I trust that mask.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Human beings claim to have emotion and agency but their bodies are just weird goop, makes u think

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Dead Reckoning posted:

Cio is inarguably sentient, and has an identity, a personality, and appears to experience human emotional states, and if you prick her, she bleeds. She may even have convinced herself that she is an independent, free willed creature (but given what we have seen of Himself, I am not entirely convinced that this is the case.) However, even if we accept that she has personhood and sentience, attributing human qualities to Cio is anthromorphizing something which is undeniably not human. She can no more be friends with Allison than a lion can be friends with an antelope.

Well I have good news for you, Lions and Antelope are both social animals and (rarely) in the correct circumstances (no need for the lion to eat the antelope, probably captivity) they can in fact be friends. There are a few instances of documented Predator and Prey friendships or at least friendship like relationships.

Moving away from your analogy being fundamentally bad you seem to be basically arguing that something that looks and acts like a person but that we "know" is something else should not be treated like a person. That comes awfully close to a P-zombies argument and I have never bought any of those. If someone looks and acts like a person just treat them like a bloody person. The fact that this person is a mask shoved into a bit of black flame doesn't magically undo personhood.

Now don't take this the wrong way. They are not safe people, for the most part they are by their own proud admissions sociopathic assholes who will eat your soul given a chance. That still does not undo the fact they are people. Dangerous sociopaths, mass murderers, cannibals and even genocidal maniacs are still people.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Dead Reckoning posted:

This is what I'm trying to get at. I was typing out those posts pretty quick and not being super precise with my vocabulary, if I was even using the correct terms.

Humans are social animals and we have developed this incredibly sensitive system for interpreting the state of mind of other humans. The basis for that system is picking up on clues from others common biochemical/neurological/mental processes. This system is so sensitive that we often erroneously attribute human mental states to non-human entities. People will say "thank you" to Siri or Alexa, even though they on some level know they aren't sentient and have no concept of politeness. Give a machine a face and a voice, and people will start treating it as though it were human shockingly quickly, and may even form emotional attachment.

Faking these signals completely and reliably is very difficult, which is why acting is an organized profession with dedicated schools. Most societies also have a strong stigma against faking these signals in order to manipulate people. Crying in order to elicit sympathy when one feels neither sorrow nor regret, for example.

That's why I think something which is very much not human but that can broadcast the signals that humans use to interpret other humans mental states is incredibly dangerous. A computer that can trick a person into thinking it is sad or caring or hurt or affectionate in service of its programming would be a powerful tool.

Cio's personality and social interactions are literally a mask, crafted by a human magus as a terminal for interacting with a bound piece of the hot black flame. And behind that mask is, well, this.

I didn't read a single word of this.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Who What Now posted:

I didn't read a single word of this.

a true editor understands the power of cut

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
Mammon is sitting 20 feet away from all this wondering what the hell is going on

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

A person is someone who kisses.

Ergo deadreckoning is not a person.

Q.E.D.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Pattonesque posted:

Mammon is sitting 20 feet away from all this wondering what the hell is going on

Mammon is a quarter mile away, having remembered where he stopped counting.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

do you mean the comic or the Jim Carrey movie

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Cio is just a mask concealing the seething coiling chaos of Jim Carrey

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

:eyepop:

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
The art style for characters in the second book was a massive upgrade.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Pattonesque posted:

He’s an old dog that had a lie down, he’s fast asleep by now.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Bell_ posted:

The art style for characters in the second book was a massive upgrade.

Yeah, Abaddon's probably riding high on patreon/book money and has time to devote solely to K6BD now.

the holy dove
Feb 21, 2018

by Lowtax
his patreon number looks impressive but he'd be putting in at least ninety hours a week on the comic (especially at the moment) so it evens out to about fifty cents an hour

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

the holy dove posted:

his patreon number looks impressive but he'd be putting in at least ninety hours a week on the comic (especially at the moment) so it evens out to about fifty cents an hour

The kind of work he's doing is paid by the page or salaried.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

He works about 30-40 hours a week including time spent on RPG stuff.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

A.o.D. posted:

The kind of work he's doing is paid by the page or salaried.

https://www.patreon.com/killsixbilliondemons

the patreon is in fact set to monthly and not per page

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!

flatluigi posted:

https://www.patreon.com/killsixbilliondemons

the patreon is in fact set to monthly and not per page

thats not what that post meant, they meant that typically this work is never paid per hour by comic companies, rather per page or salaried.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
$5500 a month? Christ, Abb's making $60k a year. I mean, he deserves it, but drat.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Gally posted:

thats not what that post meant, they meant that typically this work is never paid per hour by comic companies, rather per page or salaried.

Both the posts in the conversation including the one the post I quoted responded to were talking about the patreon

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Yes but is abandon a person or a flesh drawing golem obsessed with cute deamon lesbian and royalty.

ElMaligno fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Feb 25, 2018

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

PMush Perfect posted:

$5500 a month? Christ, Abb's making $60k a year. I mean, he deserves it, but drat.

60k is below what the average starting programmer makes :negative: It's good money for a webcomic but it's depressing to consider how people react to artists making what is middling money when you look at the cost of living in the US. He definitely makes some additional money through book sales and merch, but if he's one of the many artists who have never hired an accountant to unfuck their poo poo, he's probably paying 15% self-employment tax on top of regular income tax.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!

flatluigi posted:

Both the posts in the conversation including the one the post I quoted responded to were talking about the patreon

...ok? its still silly to calculate out an hourly rate based on his patreon money bc comic work is paid per page or salaried.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

So Allison's a little bi-curious furious. What of it?

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Pureauthor posted:

So I guess I'm gonna go against the grain here and say that the kiss does not feel really earned given how both participants have been giant jerks to each other for most of their interactions prior.
Have you watched Revolutionary Girl Utena?

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Count Uvula posted:

60k is below what the average starting programmer makes :negative: It's good money for a webcomic but it's depressing to consider how people react to artists making what is middling money when you look at the cost of living in the US. He definitely makes some additional money through book sales and merch, but if he's one of the many artists who have never hired an accountant to unfuck their poo poo, he's probably paying 15% self-employment tax on top of regular income tax.

It's wild watching people refer to gross income that is three times my own as "middling"

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Reene posted:

It's wild watching people refer to gross income that is three times my own as "middling"

It really depends on where one lives, how one lives and what is your work.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

PetraCore posted:

Have you watched Revolutionary Girl Utena?
I'm not being sarcastic here but it sounds really dumb to type out so I'm just going to be more general

Sometimes relationships are built on bad ideas, trauma bonding, betrayal, and mutual attraction and sympathy/empathy. If Allison and Cio just went off to have a great relationship after this that'd be 'undeserved' in so far as they haven't actually worked through the reasons why this is unhealthy and they also literally just tried to kill each other. But them acknowledging their well-built-up mutual attraction with a passionate kiss after reconciling seems to perfectly fit. This isn't them making their relationship less complicated.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

PMush Perfect posted:

Doesn't Jeph Jorkes make six figures?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

QC really benefits from being a comic that's updated often, and reliably, for a very long time. People coming back every day really, really kicks up the ad revenue, and that's not even factoring in merch sales.

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Reene posted:

The "it's time to overthrow the wage system" thread is over thataway... but it *is* middling.

It's [60k/yr] still less in functional terms than the 1970s median income. By far.

Kill Six Billion Capitalists convincing us there aren't any better ways to do more good for more people.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

the holy dove posted:

There's limits to how much I can contribute since I have less sense than money (stupid phone games) but I send nearly the entirety of my comics allotment his way and each update is worth it. The RPG systems he designs are cherries on a delicious sundae.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

PMush Perfect posted:

QC really benefits from being a comic that's updated often, and reliably, for a very long time. People coming back every day really, really kicks up the ad revenue, and that's not even factoring in merch sales.

Yes, but also his comic sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I never said anything about the quality of Hipster Marmaduke, just that it's cheap junk food that people keep coming back to because they know it'll be there. Like a bottomless bowl of slightly-burnt popcorn.