Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
Blast from the past:
In 1999, Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold killed 15 people and wounded 23 more at Columbine High School. The destruction occurred despite the fact that there was an armed security officer at the school and another one nearby — exactly what LaPierre argued on Friday was the answer to stopping “a bad guy with a gun.”

Deputy Neil Gardner was a 15-year veteran of the Jefferson County, Colo., Sheriff’s Office assigned as the uniformed officer at Columbine. According to an account compiled by the police department, Gardner fired on Harris but was unsuccessful in stopping him:

Gardner, seeing Harris working with his gun, leaned over the top of the car and fired four shots. He was 60 yards from the gunman. Harris spun hard to the right and Gardner momentarily thought he had hit him. Seconds later, Harris began shooting again at the deputy.

After the exchange of gunfire, Harris ran back into the building. Gardner was able to get on the police radio and called for assistance from other Sheriff’s units. “Shots in the building. I need someone in the south lot with me.”

The second officer was Deputy Paul Smoker, a motorcycle patrolman who was near the school writing a speeding ticket. When he heard a dispatch of a woman injured at the high school, he responded. He, too, fired at Harris but didn’t stop him.

LaPierre said having armed security on the scene is necessary so someone is there to shoot back. “The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun,” he said. “Would you rather have your 911 call bring a good guy with a gun from a mile away — or a minute away?”

But in chaotic situations, it’s often impossible to identify the “bad guy,” as Smoker said in his account of Columbine: “There was an unknown inside a school. We didn’t know who the ‘bad guy’ was but we soon realized the sophistication of their weapons. These were big bombs. Big guns. We didn’t have a clue who ‘they’ were.”

“That’s the point,” said Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.) at a press conference on Friday afternoon, denouncing LaPierre’s solution. “There were two armed law enforcement officers at that campus, and you see what happened. Fifteen dead ... 23 wounded.”

New Jersey Chris Christie (R) also said on Friday that he doesn’t believe having armed guards will make schools safer or encourage learning.

On Wednesday, violence prevention researchers and a large number of education, health and civic groups discouraged putting more guns in schools.

“Inclinations to intensify security in schools should be reconsidered,” they wrote in a statement. “We cannot and should not turn our schools into fortresses. Effective prevention cannot wait until there is a gunman in a school parking lot. We need resources such as mental health supports and threat assessment teams in every school and community so that people can seek assistance when they recognize that someone is troubled and requires help.”

This is from 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Evil_Greven posted:

Blast from the past:
In 1999, Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold killed 15 people and wounded 23 more at Columbine High School. The destruction occurred despite the fact that there was an armed security officer at the school and another one nearby — exactly what LaPierre argued on Friday was the answer to stopping “a bad guy with a gun.”

Deputy Neil Gardner was a 15-year veteran of the Jefferson County, Colo., Sheriff’s Office assigned as the uniformed officer at Columbine. According to an account compiled by the police department, Gardner fired on Harris but was unsuccessful in stopping him:

Gardner, seeing Harris working with his gun, leaned over the top of the car and fired four shots. He was 60 yards from the gunman. Harris spun hard to the right and Gardner momentarily thought he had hit him. Seconds later, Harris began shooting again at the deputy.

After the exchange of gunfire, Harris ran back into the building. Gardner was able to get on the police radio and called for assistance from other Sheriff’s units. “Shots in the building. I need someone in the south lot with me.”

The second officer was Deputy Paul Smoker, a motorcycle patrolman who was near the school writing a speeding ticket. When he heard a dispatch of a woman injured at the high school, he responded. He, too, fired at Harris but didn’t stop him.

LaPierre said having armed security on the scene is necessary so someone is there to shoot back. “The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun,” he said. “Would you rather have your 911 call bring a good guy with a gun from a mile away — or a minute away?”

But in chaotic situations, it’s often impossible to identify the “bad guy,” as Smoker said in his account of Columbine: “There was an unknown inside a school. We didn’t know who the ‘bad guy’ was but we soon realized the sophistication of their weapons. These were big bombs. Big guns. We didn’t have a clue who ‘they’ were.”

“That’s the point,” said Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.) at a press conference on Friday afternoon, denouncing LaPierre’s solution. “There were two armed law enforcement officers at that campus, and you see what happened. Fifteen dead ... 23 wounded.”

New Jersey Chris Christie (R) also said on Friday that he doesn’t believe having armed guards will make schools safer or encourage learning.

On Wednesday, violence prevention researchers and a large number of education, health and civic groups discouraged putting more guns in schools.

“Inclinations to intensify security in schools should be reconsidered,” they wrote in a statement. “We cannot and should not turn our schools into fortresses. Effective prevention cannot wait until there is a gunman in a school parking lot. We need resources such as mental health supports and threat assessment teams in every school and community so that people can seek assistance when they recognize that someone is troubled and requires help.”

This is from 2012

yes but have you considered that those cops didn't love the students enough?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Karl Barks posted:

Which one of you guys is that cspam account on Twitter, speak up

it's a bot I think

it seems to post to twitter stuff that quotes a tweet (and nothing else) and reposts a cspam reply to it (and nothing else)

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Evil_Greven posted:

Blast from the past:

This is from 2012

but their pedagogy

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

https://twitter.com/TimAlberta/status/967490578320707586

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

https://twitter.com/bombsfall/status/967435970508357632

this country is so hosed lol

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Some video
https://twitter.com/BridgeProject21/status/967491600917114887

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Joementum posted:

it owns that he's not going to let anyone talk him out of the dumbest idea he's ever had

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/967472757025001472

I love that Armed Educators is going to be the name of them now.

I can just see Trump sitting his robe at the beginning of a day watching Fox & Friends trying to come up with a catchy phrase for arming the teachers and just having an 'Ah-Ha!' moment with Armed Educators.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

lmao

guess she didn't realize what conservatism is actually about

She'll be back and apologizing for her impudence within a week

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/967491509330300928

lol yes

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Epic High Five posted:

lmao

guess she didn't realize what conservatism is actually about

She'll be back and apologizing for her impudence within a week

doubt it, she'll probably take the Jennifer Rubin path and begin gadflying the republicans and bemoaning that her party has left her

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/967493467046899712

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,

Bear... martial artists... poo poo...

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

SKULL.GIF posted:

doubt it, she'll probably take the Jennifer Rubin path and begin gadflying the republicans and bemoaning that her party has left her

while still voting for them at all levels lol

there's a reason why they laugh in the face of and debase these people

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Ummm, white suburban women are generally married to white suburban men so I'm not sure this is going to work.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
can't wait for trump tweets to be used (again) in oral arguments at the supreme court

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

lmao

https://twitter.com/anamariecox/status/967483539842314241

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Joementum posted:

can't wait for trump tweets to be used (again) in oral arguments at the supreme court

i’m the “@FoxNews” tag thrown in

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Lindsey O. Graham posted:

the word cuck is losing it's meaning

i remember :wink:

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

lmao

right wing concern trolling never gets old!!!

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

trump watches cnn more than fox

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

@FoxNews.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

@FoxNews.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
By the way, jumping spiders are awesome and cool:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDtlvZGmHYk

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

TMMadman posted:

Ummm, white suburban women are generally married to white suburban men so I'm not sure this is going to work.

also the majority of them voted for trump but *in extremely dnc voice* i'm sure they'll come around this time!

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

Zyla posted:

lmao

right wing concern trolling never gets old!!!

or are you just getting old with it? 🧐

:twisted:

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

stop with the reruns, we want new poo poo

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

im just trying to imagine obama pimping al jazeera america on his tweets everyday and how that would go over

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

Zyla posted:

im just trying to imagine obama pimping al jazeera america on his tweets everyday and how that would go over

lol obama *dont* care about the u a e

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

lol obama *dont* care about the u a e

just trying to think of a fox news equivalent...

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

also obama supported american things, so he'd use @msnbc, and it would make him look uneducated if he did what trump is doing, appealing to the tv box

i dont think ive seen trumps diploma, so i hope he's lying about graduating from Penn

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

sucks that when he's allowed to golf and lay around all weekend, we end up getting re-run tweets because he's just livetweeting Fox News (as is traditional for the president) and Fox News is just re-running their hits from the week while they fly off to child sex slave island

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

https://twitter.com/TimAlberta/status/967491742420422657

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

the Cream and Crimson pizza from Avers may be the most filling thing I have ever eaten

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Epic High Five posted:

the Cream and Crimson pizza from Avers may be the most filling thing I have ever eaten

Actually nobody makes a more filling meal than Doobie's DogHouse

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Evil_Greven posted:

By the way, jumping spiders are awesome and cool:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDtlvZGmHYk

look i think jumping spiders can be cute and picures of them with water drop hats helped me get over my huge phobia of spiders (kinda) but u should give a warning when the video is gonna open with a ultra close zoom on their face all spiderin' with the mandibles and stuff okay thank you

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Nonsense posted:

Actually nobody makes a more filling meal than Doobie's DogHouse

empty promises, empty calories

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

this is me

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Lol these conservatives with some awareness of the coddling of nazis and pathological hatred of women in the republican party are probably the dumbest of all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

she really should've known better than to say, "we shouldn't support proud proponents of ethnic cleansing or literal child rapists" at a gathering of Republicans

• Locked thread