Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
wow, cars would be so much better if they involved a mandatory subscription to a remote driving service and they could transform overnight into useless hunks of metal and glass if i stopped paying the subscription or the company running the service folded

or am i being naive thinking that it will even be possible to own such a car outright rather than leasing it indefinitely at the whim of the manufacturer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Tesla will already remotely deactivate your car's service port if you plug stuff into it

Only a matter of time

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Internet Janitor posted:

or am i being naive thinking that it will even be possible to own such a car outright rather than leasing it indefinitely at the whim of the manufacturer

what if you paid 100% of the cost of owning it, but the terms of sale allowed the manufacturer to revoke your right to use the product at any time for whatever reason? because that's basically a thing already

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Internet Janitor posted:

wow, cars would be so much better if they involved a mandatory subscription to a remote driving service and they could transform overnight into useless hunks of metal and glass if i stopped paying the subscription or the company running the service folded

mandatory subscriptions would just turn people off of the product. you want to get people in there and then upsell them on the sub. if the sub isn't worth it people weren't gonna buy your product when it was mandatory.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
it'll be like satnav and map updates are now, you pay the sub or you only get basic cruise control

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

infernal machines posted:

it'll be like satnav and map updates are now

On my phone for free for the last 10 years :confused:

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

yeah i truly don't understand people who pay for separate in car navigation

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

PokeJoe posted:

it's a shrinking market, which is why bmw is going to start charging people a yearly fee to enable apple carplay and if they do it successfully you can bet more manufacturers will too

they're going to try and get your money one way or another

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Feb 24, 2018

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
i don't think they'd allow remote control from somewhere with literally 100ms of round-trip speed-of-light latency. i'm sure there will be massive remote-driving centers in godforsaken places like south carolina and boston

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

The_Franz posted:

it's a shrinking market, which is why bmw is going to start charging people to enable apple carplay and if they do it successfully you can bet more manufacturers will too

they're going to try and get your money one way or another

who cares about carplay

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

that's too bad *opens map app, puts phone in cupholder*

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

this sort of misses the point, the original comparison was that manufacturers would attempt to gatekeep their higher-tier driver assist features in the same manner as they did with 1st party nav option and onstar. the difference being there's no comparable way to just use your phone to drive your car for you and that's unlikely to change any time soon

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

fishmech posted:

who cares about carplay

apparently enough people that some analysts and accountants decided that it would be profitable to charge a yearly fee for it

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

lmfao

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/967464280592445440

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

we are so doomed

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

qirex posted:

we are so doomed

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
zucked again!!!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

:bisonyes:

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

SV is officially worse than wall st

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

theyre equally awful its just that wall street at least doesnt pretend theyre selflessly saving the world by doing what they do

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

https://twitter.com/sarahjeong/status/960900739655548928

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

PokeJoe posted:

i loved my old mercury with it's DVD based nav system.

new updates popped up on pirate bay a week after release :xd:

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

FCKGW posted:

i loved my old mercury with it's DVD based nav system.

new updates popped up on pirate bay a week after release :xd:

yeah but it was a mercury

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
nothing beats GM’s lol worthy five rung status ladder though.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Skim Milk posted:

yeah but it was a mercury

you’d get a nicer interior than the vic but without the over engineered tech veneer on the town car

panther platform forever

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I have a Subaru. It doesn't have a navigation system or a touch screen. It has a stereo with knobs and buttons, which can do Bluetooth. It is good enough for me.

We went to the local auto show last Friday and holy poo poo are new cars stupidly expensive, like lovely little Fiat sourced "Jeeps" were $30k+.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I have a Subaru. It doesn't have a navigation system or a touch screen. It has a stereo with knobs and buttons, which can do Bluetooth. It is good enough for me.

same.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

We went to the local auto show last Friday and holy poo poo are new cars stupidly expensive, like lovely little Fiat sourced "Jeeps" were $30k+.
this has always been true

though new civics/camrys/priuses/subarus are not too bad and fairly comparable to slightly used model from my experience. buying used wasn't significantly cheaper to justify it when I was looking for 1-2 year older models but our used market is crazy

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
i think that may just fiats. my gf would love to get a fiat since she's not a good driver and can't see/park well so something very small+cheap just to get to/from work across town would be nice. but they are insanely expensive for what you get its kinda crazy. same for smartcars

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

PCjr sidecar posted:

you’d get a nicer interior than the vic but without the over engineered tech veneer on the town car

panther platform forever

ok ok the grand marquis was the bees knees

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I still don’t know why Americans buy smart cars

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

By and large they don't

Even in big cities you rarely see one. San Francisco loves minis and fiats but smartcars, ehhhhhhh

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I was excited about the new Fiat 500 when it first appeared here.

(I was excited about it because I was poor as gently caress and it represented a new car I could afford.)

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Sagebrush posted:

By and large they don't

Even in big cities you rarely see one. San Francisco loves minis and fiats but smartcars, ehhhhhhh

My old tenant drove a smart but he also brought a prostitute to my house so

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

By and large they don't

I've seen more than a few in the Western Burbs of Chicago. It's always a weird thing, because the only more inappropriate environment for those things would be rural locations.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

cis autodrag posted:

My old tenant drove a smart but he also brought a prostitute to my house so
that was considerate of him to pick up your mom from the airport

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

haha

I saw a smart car get clipped in the right rear one time and the whole rear axle ejected under the rear bumper.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

and don’t forget that Facebook had a big booth at CPAC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

food court bailiff posted:

Imagine being so dense that you accuse the guy who has sold more electric cars than anyone else on the planet and has a whole company dedicated to cheap residential solar energy, and constantly champions affordable, clean public transportation of being environmentally evil, because you don't understand the point of his space programs and he dares to have a personality.