Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
So I have a size 30 fleet and a size 20 one, and my naval cap is 54. I click Reinforce on my size 20 fleet because it's at 18/20, and it ends up at 24/20. Why?

Also pirates are really annoying and make it so you basically have to completely fill in every star of space within your borders or they keep jumping out of random space closets and wrecking poo poo. Even then they just spawn at the edges unless you're completely surrounded. Anyway I think 2% tech costs per system for something you're borderline forced to do or be constantly harassed is a bit harsh.

Other than that I'm having a lot of fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Based on what I read elsewhere, apparently the big hit with War Exhaustion and losing ships in battles is the exhaustion hit is based on twice the lost ships value as a percentage of your Total Naval Capacity.

So if you have a Max Naval Capacity of 50 (like I roughly did when attacking the XTs) and lose a few corvettes and a destroyer totaling 8 Naval Capacity, that is a 32% War Exhaustion blow (8/50=16%*2). Doesn't matter if you started the battle at 30/50 or 50/50 capacity, its based on max.

Kinda nasty, and makes capacity upgrades even more appealing. This is also why people overwhelming outposts and starbases are taking much heavier exhaustion than the "Defeated" enemy (I'm guessing the Victory/Defeat label is based on war exhaustion?).

MarquiseMindfang posted:

So I have a size 30 fleet and a size 20 one, and my naval cap is 54. I click Reinforce on my size 20 fleet because it's at 18/20, and it ends up at 24/20. Why?

Are your ships designs set to autoupgrade? If a new tech comes out and your designs get autoupdated the Fleet Manager no longer views the "outdated" ships as being the proper class and will happily fill up the fleet with proper designs if you hit reinforce before updating your old ships.8

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Feb 24, 2018

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

President Ark posted:

there's a checkbox in the bottom left of the fleet design window that turns it off

Jazerus posted:

there's a check-box labelled "Auto-generate designs" in the lower left of the ship designer

Thanks! 550+ hours in, and I never noticed! :suicide:

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

i'm glad autocannons are now really good.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

BlackJosh posted:

So, why the heck was the decision made to not make the tutorial/VI advisor for hive minds and machine collectives? Just getting back into this game after like a year, getting the DLCs, was very excited to play as one of the synthetic races after reading up on them... but I'm just clunking around because everything is new and I've got no idea what to do anymore. Things are a lot different since the last time I played, but it seems like the only way to get a handle on it is to play as a race I don't really want to right now just to figure it out, and even then it'll be a race that doesn't work like the gestalt intelligence ones do? Maybe I'm dumb and I'm missing something but I don't get the decision to remove the tutorials completely from a whole group of newer mechanic races, especially when a new DLC gets released that'll be bringing some people back that haven't played in awhile. Is the best way to get back into this game if you want to play as machines just to gut through it?
Be neat if the hive mind tutorial was just you mumbling to yourself constantly and/or grumbling about the interface.
"Hmm I should build some mining stations. I pick this builder unit and... *pauses until user clicks it* then I send it to... here? Ugh, things were easier when I was just a planet."

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Due to defensive pacts i ended up at war with an associate of my federation, but they're still chill with me so nbd.

One of my sectors keeps building a colony ship then doing nothing with it and its driving me mad. They wont go take the planets in the sector. If i delete it they just rebuild it. Irgh

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Based on what I read elsewhere, apparently the big hit with War Exhaustion and losing ships in battles is the exhaustion hit is based on twice the lost ships value as a percentage of your Total Naval Capacity.

So if you have a Max Naval Capacity of 50 (like I roughly did when attacking the XTs) and lose a few corvettes and a destroyer totaling 8 Naval Capacity, that is a 32% War Exhaustion blow (8/50=16%*2). Doesn't matter if you started the battle at 30/50 or 50/50 capacity, its based on max.

Kinda nasty, and makes capacity upgrades even more appealing. This is also why people overwhelming outposts and starbases are taking much heavier exhaustion than the "Defeated" enemy (I'm guessing the Victory/Defeat label is based on war exhaustion?).

My favorite part of that thread was the realization that one of the optimal defensive strategies is to build anchorages for more fleet cap, max out cap on cheap frigates, and when you’re attacked immediately dismantle your anchorages so you’re wildly over fleet cap. Then, as soon as you lose a battle of any size it registers as a catastrophic loss and your war exhaustion goes through the roof, allowing you to force a white peace even though the enemy has taken nothing.

It's insane, and makes the use of Desty's ReducedWarExhaustion mandatory IMO.

Kestral fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Feb 24, 2018

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

How are the unity bonuses for fulfilling democratic mandates calculated? Cos I just got 50 out of it which seems like it will rapidly become obsolete.

E: hmm looks like it says it generates 50-1000 so i guess it will scale well enough.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Feb 24, 2018

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

I've got an early space age primitive inside my borders. I know most people just exterminate and move on, but it's a 20% arctic world to me and it's got some betharian. What should I do with these dudes, as eventually left alone they will turn into an enclave right? I'm just observing right now for the sweet 8 society research. They are pacifists but also have the resilient trait so killing them would probably be a pain.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Eltoasto posted:

I've got an early space age primitive inside my borders. I know most people just exterminate and move on, but it's a 20% arctic world to me and it's got some betharian. What should I do with these dudes, as eventually left alone they will turn into an enclave right? I'm just observing right now for the sweet 8 society research. They are pacifists but also have the resilient trait so killing them would probably be a pain.

Try and uplift them and then incorporate them into your empire.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Eltoasto posted:

They should be weaker baseline than your assault armies in the space age, so if you're quick you should be able to build up some troops and invade them even with the 50% modifier. For a good world it's worth it, I just invaded some Strong guys near me because they were space age and would have turned into purifiers or something when they grew up, now I have some awesome troops and a 24 tile world full of people who can actually live on places other than paradise. Definitely a trade worth making.

Pacifists though might be OK to let grow, because they'll still start off as 1 system scrublords and are ripe for protectorating right off the bat.

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007

Splicer posted:

Be neat if the hive mind tutorial was just you mumbling to yourself constantly and/or grumbling about the interface.
"Hmm I should build some mining stations. I pick this builder unit and... *pauses until user clicks it* then I send it to... here? Ugh, things were easier when I was just a planet."

Haha. Also the VI dude started talking to me after I built a second science ship so the tutorial isn't totally disabled? I don't totally get it but I guess there's still some hints and such to remind you of things, which is good.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Kestral posted:

My favorite part of that thread was the realization that one of the optimal defensive strategies is to build anchorages for more fleet cap, max out cap on cheap frigates, and when you’re attacked immediately dismantle your anchorages so you’re wildly over fleet cap. Then, as soon as you lose a battle of any size it registers as a catastrophic loss and your war exhaustion goes through the roof, allowing you to force a white peace even though the enemy has taken nothing.

Seeing as how the AI doesn't know how to do this, I don't think it's that big of a problem.

Wormholes not counting the other side as adjacent (like they're supposed to according to a dev diary I think?) is a problem though. I've got a devouring swarm just sitting on the other side of Deep Space 9 and I can't declare war on them.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Seems like planets seem to be more rare and less clumped into zones that are big patches of mostly similar type. I like it cause it makes terraforming & adaptability more valuable, but it also sort of sucks not to have an even distribution... I ended up with a big gap between my core and the next habitable planets.

Also seems like more planets have modifiers which I like a lot.

So far I'm leaning towards "this is better" but I'm still early game mostly and like to play slow.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Continuing the odd things happening series. I havent worked out what exactly, but something squiffy is happening when you have armies set to agressive when you're bombarding a system with two planets in it. Twice now my army has flown to the non-bombarded planet and taken it super easily somehow

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

OwlFancier posted:

They should be weaker baseline than your assault armies in the space age, so if you're quick you should be able to build up some troops and invade them even with the 50% modifier. For a good world it's worth it, I just invaded some Strong guys near me because they were space age and would have turned into purifiers or something when they grew up, now I have some awesome troops and a 24 tile world full of people who can actually live on places other than paradise. Definitely a trade worth making.

Pacifists though might be OK to let grow, because they'll still start off as 1 system scrublords and are ripe for protectorating right off the bat.

I can't do anything with the planet though, it's 20% habitable and only 10% by my species. It's a 22 tile world with some decent production though so I'd love to get it in some way.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Welp, I started a new game as a science directorate, planning to stay small and focus on science. I just opened my first wormhole, and it turns out to lead to the opposite side of a massive swath of unoccupied space that I can completely block off with a handful of stations. Time to expand forever instead. :unsmigghh:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Eltoasto posted:

I can't do anything with the planet though, it's 20% habitable and only 10% by my species. It's a 22 tile world with some decent production though so I'd love to get it in some way.

The people who live there are perfectly adapted to it though, why can't you use them? In the space age they'll only have a couple of years of culture shock.

If you invade them you don't exterminate them, you occupy them.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I mean, they COULD be killed off, but it depends on settings in the policies (or if you chose a purifier variant)

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Splicer posted:

I need this. I need this very badly indeed. Just the hive mind/machine intelligence mumbling to itself as a tutorial.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Kestral posted:

This shouldn't actually work?

A side in a war being at 100% exhaustion gives their opponent the ability to force a status quo peace.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

So if I had up all my ships in the fleet manager, it's a 30k fleet. But, in the outliner it says it's 50k?

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

What is going on with the fleet manager, I can't even figure out why this thing exists let alone how it works.

Why is it listing those 6 destroyers as "0/6"? Why is it separating both destroyers into 2 groups, they are the exact same class of ship with the exact same loadout. What does reinforce do, just queues up a bunch more ships from local shipyards to fill out the ranks or what?

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Axetrain posted:

What is going on with the fleet manager, I can't even figure out why this thing exists let alone how it works.

Why is it listing those 6 destroyers as "0/6"? Why is it separating both destroyers into 2 groups, they are the exact same class of ship with the exact same loadout. What does reinforce do, just queues up a bunch more ships from local shipyards to fill out the ranks or what?

As far as I'm able to tell, it's broken. Hopefully it's something simple and they'll fix it in their first patch.

Reinforce queues up a bunch of ships, but because the system is broken it'll queue up way more ships than it should then just leave them stranded scattered all around the empire once it realises the fleet is already full. If ships become out of date the fleet manager will instantly think it's got zero ships in it until you upgrade them, but even if they're all upgraded it'll still put them in a bunch of different stacks with no obvious way to merge them or even work out why they're separated.

I also assumed it would spread the ship building around available starbases but apparently it just queues them all up on the same one. I don't know if that's by design or if it's another bug because it seems like it completely undermines the point of the button.

Oh, and there doesn't seem to be any way to apply a fleet template to a second fleet, and if you delete a template it disbands all the ships associated with it. So don't do that.

Chalks fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Feb 24, 2018

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Axetrain posted:

Yes. Have you been building ships manually? You really shouldn't. Always use the fleet manager and reinforce buttons, never manual build things.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Axetrain posted:

They probably need to be upgraded, then it'll show 6/6. It's saying you've got 0/6 of the current design.

shas
Jul 27, 2011

why, after a war that ends in 100% mutual war exhaustion and a white peace, is the AI allowed to close their borders to me five years before i'm allowed to close my borders to them

also why is a war that ends with you keeping what you hold called a 'status quo'

deathbysnusnu
Feb 25, 2016

I tried my one planet only from pre apocalypse and I don't think its viable anymore even with a ruined science nexus next door. Minerals bottlenecked hard and space minerals sap you with research malus from more systems defeating the whole thing. I'm going to get a crisis any minute now and I'm not teched up enough for it to matter now that my fleet size and mineral availability is laughable. Anyone have any luck just building tall like 4 cities civ V style?

deathbysnusnu fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Feb 24, 2018

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
How is everyone building ships at mid game? It seems like plasma isn't as godly anymore and creating a balanced fleet isn't as straightforward as I would have thought.

That Guy Bob
Apr 30, 2009
Fanatic Spiritualist + Beacon of Liberty + Traditional trait is honestly kind of gross, it's 100 years into the game and I've got psychic jump drives and habitats all over the place. I'm by far the tech leader and everyone not a xenophobe or devouring swarm are my bffs.

And the entire time I only had 5 settled planets and a handful of systems. I think not expanding is the way to go now, rip playing wide.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)
So did nweismuller start a new Stellaris LP yet?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Gyshall posted:

How is everyone building ships at mid game? It seems like plasma isn't as godly anymore and creating a balanced fleet isn't as straightforward as I would have thought.

They massively increased the specialization of especially the advanced weapon types, so you really need to look at what your enemy's using and design accordingly, and consider sending fleets in in different waves with like, your shieldbusters up front and your anti-armour/hull weapons in second.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

appropriatemetaphor posted:

They probably need to be upgraded, then it'll show 6/6. It's saying you've got 0/6 of the current design.

Nope they cant be upgraded any further. In fact now I think it may be something with those ships in particular since I cant upgrade them even when I do change the design.

E: When I hit retrofit, the ships disappear from the template but remain in the fleet somehow.

Axetrain fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Feb 24, 2018

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!
The fleet manager works in a surprising way.

You specify the designs you want to use in the Fleet Manager by name. I just started a game to test and my starting design is called a 'Tartrex-class'.

My starting fleet has 3/3 Tartrex-class ships.

I went into the ship designer and swapped some of the weapons around and saved it, overwriting the old design. I now actually have two unique designs internally, let's call the old one Tartrex A, still used by my ships, and the new Tartrex B.

My fleet now has 0/3 Tartex-class ships. The fleet manager is automatically updating to expect the most recent version of the class, the Bs. But all my ships are Tartrex As, thus they don't fulfill the fleet need for Tartrex Bs. It also enabled the 'upgrade' button because it detects that the ships in my fleet are not of the most recent version of the design. Upgrading them now shows my fleet at 3/3.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

DatonKallandor posted:

Yes. Have you been building ships manually? You really shouldn't. Always use the fleet manager and reinforce buttons, never manual build things.

Is there a reason I would want to cede control of which ships are built where?

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Axetrain posted:

Nope they cant be upgraded any further. In fact now I think it may be something with those ships in particular since I cant upgrade them even when I do change the design.

I'm certain it's a bug. I had only one corvette ship design, but multiple different X/0 stacks of that ship in my fleet with no way to upgrade them or merge them. All the ships claimed to be the same but refused to merge no matter how much I fiddled with it. If you disband the ships and rebuild them, the problem will come back.

Someone mentioned it might be to do with making modifications to your fleets while the game is paused, but I have no idea what causes it specifically. It's probably related to the issue where if ships need upgrading the game considers your fleets to be empty and will reinforce them even if they actually full.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Axetrain posted:

E: When I hit retrofit, the ships disappear from the template but remain in the fleet somehow.

Try this: Pull the ships out of the fleet and remove that design from the fleet template. Go into the ship designer and change the design for that ship in some way, even just swapping an armor and a shield position. Update the ships in their little fleet that is just them. Select the original flight and shift+click the fleet of ships you just upgraded and merge the fleets. Don't do this while the game is paused, put it on lowest speed if you usually do this stuff paused. That should add the ships back into the fleet template.

It's a strange bug and seems to happen to a particular design for a while.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I'm 30 years into my first game and of the four neighbours I've discovered, there's one set of marauders I'm not going to be able to progress through any time soon and two fanatical purifiers. Also an Ether Drake at a chokepoint.

Hopefully they'll at least wait until all my mods have been updated to murder me to death.

edit: no, about 31 years

Deformed Church fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Feb 24, 2018

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

That Guy Bob posted:

Fanatic Spiritualist + Beacon of Liberty + Traditional trait is honestly kind of gross, it's 100 years into the game and I've got psychic jump drives and habitats all over the place. I'm by far the tech leader and everyone not a xenophobe or devouring swarm are my bffs.

And the entire time I only had 5 settled planets and a handful of systems. I think not expanding is the way to go now, rip playing wide.

Spirtualist-Egalitarians can get a dirty amount of Unity by using Utopian living conditions and rushing Paradise Domes first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

The fleet manager works in a surprising way.

You specify the designs you want to use in the Fleet Manager by name. I just started a game to test and my starting design is called a 'Tartrex-class'.

My starting fleet has 3/3 Tartrex-class ships.

I went into the ship designer and swapped some of the weapons around and saved it, overwriting the old design. I now actually have two unique designs internally, let's call the old one Tartrex A, still used by my ships, and the new Tartrex B.

My fleet now has 0/3 Tartex-class ships. The fleet manager is automatically updating to expect the most recent version of the class, the Bs. But all my ships are Tartrex As, thus they don't fulfill the fleet need for Tartrex Bs. It also enabled the 'upgrade' button because it detects that the ships in my fleet are not of the most recent version of the design. Upgrading them now shows my fleet at 3/3.

If you click reinforce while in this state it will build 3 new ships. If you have auto upgrade enabled, this will happen every time you research a new ship tech.

Not the best. Hopefully they will update it to understand that 3 ships that can be upgraded into the 3 that you need don't need rebuilding, they need upgrading.