Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Milo and POTUS posted:

What was the reason for this? I mean why was it infeasible in the North/West? Growing season/soil types/ etc?

afaik plant types. the new world slave economy only really worked with ridiculously profitable cash crops like cotton, sugar, tobacco, or indigo. Food crops were grown, but mostly for local plantation consumption with any extra being sold off for extra cash. This is also why the south had so many food shortages during the civil war, as the small farmers who actually grew most of the food were off getting shot and the biggest supplier was the north, who cut off all trade. Since the west was too dry for any real agriculture (remember that the only reason the great plains are a bread basket is due to a whooole lotta irrigation and sod-busting) and the North too cold for the big money crops slavery proved impractical there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Agean90 posted:

afaik plant types. the new world slave economy only really worked with ridiculously profitable cash crops like cotton, sugar, tobacco, or indigo. Food crops were grown, but mostly for local plantation consumption with any extra being sold off for extra cash. This is also why the south had so many food shortages during the civil war, as the small farmers who actually grew most of the food were off getting shot and the biggest supplier was the north, who cut off all trade. Since the west was too dry for any real agriculture (remember that the only reason the great plains are a bread basket is due to a whooole lotta irrigation and sod-busting) and the North too cold for the big money crops slavery proved impractical there.

Also expanding slavery in the north at the time would have involved convincing the North to accept slavery in their states, which hahahahanope.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Milo and POTUS posted:

What was the reason for this? I mean why was it infeasible in the North/West? Growing season/soil types/ etc?

Not physically, politically. Even before the 1820 Missouri compromise which set a line of "no new slave states north of 36°30′ in the Louisiana purchase territory, except Missouri", new states being formed in the north had routinely established themselves without slavery. The Missouri compromise line would end up voided later, but not with successful slave states north of it. And for the west, when all that land was taken from Mexico it ended up that slavery never really had time to penetrate into it beyond Texas.

There was small scale slaving in these southwest territories and minor confederate sentiment later, but both were easily crushed by Union forces coming out of California, which had been admitted as a free state.

So even without the civil war happening, the North was a hard barrier to slave expansion and to the west the California government wasn't in favor of it, making it very difficult to expand slavery more in the US. The slavers simply would need to look elsewhere.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Feb 24, 2018

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Agean90 posted:

Additionally, the kind of big money agriculture that was common on the North and the West - ranching and herding - was generally not done with slave labor in any event.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Agean90 posted:

By the 1850s or so anyway; one reason you see slavery dying off in the northern and even the non-deep southern states is that slaves shot the hell up in price after the slave trade was outlawed. In the 1780s using slaves to run your random agricultural farm in New York was good business sense; by 1850s it was much, much more profitable to sell them down the river to a cotton planter in Mississippi. Northern abolitionism was as much a symptom of economics as anything else, it's easy to oppose something that doesn't have a local business lobby any more.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

feedmegin posted:

By the 1850s or so anyway; one reason you see slavery dying off in the northern and even the non-deep southern states is that slaves shot the hell up in price after the slave trade was outlawed. In the 1780s using slaves to run your random agricultural farm in New York was good business sense; by 1850s it was much, much more profitable to sell them down the river to a cotton planter in Mississippi. Northern abolitionism was as much a symptom of economics as anything else, it's easy to oppose something that doesn't have a local business lobby any more.

Just before the Civil War, wasn't Virginia's biggest export slaves?

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

bewbies posted:

Is it bad that I kind of like that one of St Stephens?

Yes, it's an objectively hosed up rendition of St Stephens. The tower is melting and growing

He also got hosed up lighting. The sun is casting a shadow from over the near building, which means that the corner of the St Stephens Tower that faces the viewer ought to be illuminated. Also, nothing else seems to be casting a distinct shadow.

To be fair, he never made it into art school, but I think they were right to reject him.

Better paintings of St. Stephens.

Livelier crowd, the features of the tower actually cast shadow

Some post card poo poo that captures the tower better anyways

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

feedmegin posted:

Even before that trade in the slaves was lucrative as gently caress. Jefferson did the math and figured out that he made more money from the "natural increase" in his slaves than from the actual farming that happened at Montecello.

quote:

"I consider a woman who brings a child every two years as more profitable than the best man of the farm," Jefferson remarked in 1820. "What she produces is an addition to the capital, while his labors disappear in mere consumption."

https://www.monticello.org/site/plantation-and-slavery/property

edit: this, of course, puts his loving some of his slaves in an entirely worse light.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Cyrano4747 posted:

edit: this, of course, puts his loving some of his slaves in an entirely worse light.

which is not an easy thing to do

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
GAZ-71 and GAZ-72 (candidate for the role of the SU-76).

Queue: Production and combat of the KV-1S, L-10 and L-30, Strv m/21, Landsverk prototypes 1943-1951, Pz.Sfl.V Sturer Emil, PzII Ausf. G-H, Marder III, Pershing trials in the USSR, Tiger study in the USSR, PIAT, SU-76, Heavy tanks M6, M6A1, and T1E1, SAu 40 and other medium SPGs, IS-2 (Object 234) and other Soviet heavy howitzer tanks, T-70B, SU-152, T-26 improved track projects, Object 238 and other improvements on the KV-1S, Lee and Grant tanks in British service, Matilda, T26E4 Super Pershing, GMC M12, PzII Ausf. J, VK 30.01(P)/Typ 100/Leopard, VK 36.01(H), Luchs, Leopard, and other recon tanks, PzIII Ausf. G trials in the USSR, SU-203, 105 mm howitzer M2A1, Mosin, Baranov's pocket mortar, Pz.Sfl.IVc, Jagdpanzer 38(t) "Hetzer"

Available for request:

:ussr:
IM-1 squeezebore cannon
45 mm M-6 gun
Schmeisser's work in the USSR
Object 237 (IS-1 prototype)
SU-85
T-29-5
KV-85
Tank sleds
T-80 (the light tank)
Proposed Soviet heavy tank destroyers
DS-39 tank machinegun
IS-1 (IS-85)
IS-2 (object 240)
Russian Renault
Soviet tank winter camo
MS-1/T-18 NEW

:britain:
25-pounder
25-pounder "Baby"
Cruiser Tank Mk.I
Cruiser Tank Mk.II
Valentine III and V
Valentine IX
Valentine X and XI

:911:
37 mm Anti-Tank Gun M3
36 inch Little David mortar
Medium Tank M3 use in the USSR
GMC M8
105 mm howitzer M3
Scorpion

:godwin:
15 cm sIG 33
10.5 cm leFH 18
7.5 cm LG 40
10.5 cm LG 42
Tiger (P)
Stahlhelm in WWI
Stahlhelm in WWII
Nashorn/Hornisse
PzIII Ausf. E and F
PzIII Ausf. G and H
Ferdinand
17 cm K i. Mrs. Laf.
Grosstraktor

:italy:
Semovente L40 da 47/32
Semovente da 75/18
Semovente da 105/25

:poland:
47 mm wz.25 infantry gun
7TP and Vickers Mk.E trials in the USSR
7.92 mm wz. 35 anti-tank rifle
76.2 mm wz. 1902 and 75 mm wz. 1902/26 NEW

:eurovision:
SD-100 (Czech SU-100 clone)

Ensign Expendable fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Feb 25, 2018

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est

Ensign Expendable posted:

Available for request:

:ussr:

I want to hear more about Baranov's :heysexy: pocket mortar

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Phi230 posted:

I have a research question that might not fit here but I don't know where else to go:

What resources or where could I start looking for the prices of various commodities and services/wages for the approximate time period of 1700s-early 1800s
if you are interested in the 1600s and 1700s instead, i can totally hook you up, but this is later than my research

anything i tell you will also focus on the germanosphere

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

HEY GUNS posted:

if you are interested in the 1600s and 1700s instead, i can totally hook you up, but this is later than my research

anything i tell you will also focus on the germanosphere

Well did the price of gold and food and sugar and stuff really change that much until about 1815?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Phi230 posted:

Well did the price of gold and food and sugar and stuff really change that much until about 1815?
Very much so, although my answer will vary depending on which decade you ask about. It all took place in huge slow cycles (or, it might. There's debate about this.). The period from the 16th century to about 1625--the period right before the regiment I study went to Italy--was a time of increasing prices, for instance. (The early 20s were also a few years of complete currency meltdown in the Germanosphere.)

David Hackett Fischer, The Great Wave: Price Revolutions and the Rhythm of History

Ulrich Pfister, “Consumer prices and wages in Germany, 1500–1850,” Westfälische Wilhelms-Universität Münster Historisches Seminar, March 2010

Fernand Braudel and Frank Spooner, “Prices in Europe from 1450 to 1750,” in EE Rich and CH Wilson, ed., The Cambridge Economic History of Europe Vol 4, The Economy of Expanding Europe in the 16th and 17th Centuries

Jan de Vries, “The Economic Crisis of the Seventeenth Century after Fifty Years,” in Journal of Interdisciplinary History, Volume 40, Number 2, Autumn 2009

Jan van Zanden, “Wages and the standard of living in Europe, 1500-1800,” in European Review of Economic History, Vol. 3, No. 2 (AUGUST 1999)

edit: actually you should just read everything braudel ever wrote, he owns

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Feb 24, 2018

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Now how do I actually get access to this stuff?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Phi230 posted:

If you google some of the articles, I think PDFs should pop up. The books are visible in google books. Braudel is so famous you should be able to find used versions of his stuff for cheap

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

Phi230 posted:

Visit your local university/college they usually allow free public access to their in library materials and I think you can access the electronic materials when you are physically on campus.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
jan de vries is also a Big Deal

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Agean90 posted:

This is also why the south had so many food shortages during the civil war, as the small farmers who actually grew most of the food were off getting shot and the biggest supplier was the north, who cut off all trade.

Food shortages in the south had very little to do with lack of production. Farms very quickly moved from cash crops (that had no available market) to foodstuffs. The bigger issues were a) lack of transportation infrastructure that made it very difficult to move food around, and b) runaway inflation that made it more difficult for anyone not involved in agriculture to actually afford food.

When Union armies began breaking away from from their supply bases, they frequently found more and better food than their commissaries had been providing.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Agean90 posted:

Worth pointing out everybody in the south expected slavery to be expanded across the southwestern states, which was pretty reasonable imo, today California is the nations largest cotton producing state. This is one one reason southern states were very big on the Mexican American war. These plans were all upset not by climate, but by the California gold rush. All those miners flooding west really didn't want to compete with slaves, and quickly made California free.

I'm not sure how well you could grow cotton someplace like Arizona in 1860, but the climate isn't too different from modern countries that produce a lot of cotton like Turkey, so eh, you could probably do it in the river valleys at least with only a bit of irrigation.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Milo and POTUS posted:

Chattel slavery had the potential to be outrageously profitable everywhere. In the upper midwest, slaves could have worked corn/wheat and mining, in the far north, fur trapping and timber. The real reasons slavery divided along north/south lines was 1) it was ultimately cheaper for northern industrialists to use free labor, and 2) the Northwest Ordinance created a very arbitrary "no slavery" line, almost accidentally, that ended up being at the very heart of the war.

Also re this

bewbies posted:

It is time for my annual email to the mayor and city council of Brooksville, Florida. I encourage everyone here to send something to this wonderfully diverse and enlightened group of southern politicians regarding the namesake of their town.

emails etc available here:
http://www.ci.brooksville.fl.us/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=27&Itemid=30

for the first time in over a decade of doing this I actually got a thoughtful reply:

quote:

Thanks for taking the time to write and express your concern. As someone who has studied our community history, I am certainly aware of this incident and the subsequent naming of our city. Brooks would not have been someone I would have chosen to honor. You are also not the first to bring up the idea of a name change, a couple years ago there was a big push to rename the city to "Booksville." Considering the monumental expense and inconvenience to residents, businesses, and government if the name of the city were changed, it has seemed wiser to me to work to make sure our city is recognized for the compassion and service of its people today. Most people do not know the history of the name so I don't feel it is as honoring to him as those who named the city after him would have hoped.

I know that it not at all the answer you were wanting, but it is a very practical one. If at some point the residents and businesses were mobilized to make a change that would be different, but as that hasn't happened, I think it would be impractical and financially unwise for us to do so.

Thanks again for writing, I certainly hear your heart in this and hope you have heard mine.

I giggled at "Booksville"

bewbies fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Feb 24, 2018

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Not to defend Hitler or anything but I mean, c'mon that's not good enough for art school? What do they expect? You go there to learn to be better. They're bland but not terrible.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Mantis42 posted:

Not to defend Hitler or anything but I mean, c'mon that's not good enough for art school? What do they expect? You go there to learn to be better. They're bland but not terrible.

how many applicants did that art school get though

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Yes, it's an objectively hosed up rendition of St Stephens. The tower is melting and growing

He also got hosed up lighting. The sun is casting a shadow from over the near building, which means that the corner of the St Stephens Tower that faces the viewer ought to be illuminated. Also, nothing else seems to be casting a distinct shadow.

To be fair, he never made it into art school, but I think they were right to reject him.

Better paintings of St. Stephens.

Livelier crowd, the features of the tower actually cast shadow

Some post card poo poo that captures the tower better anyways

It's not just the tower, but the whole place surrounding it. Do you see how open it looks in the other paintings? That's because it really is. The black house on the right wouldn't even be visible from the point that he took as his position in the pic. Hitler was super lazy with his work, chances are good that he wasn't even there while painting this. The buildings in there are sights, so maybe that's the reason why he stacked them so strangely. He wanted to sell his art as postcards, so maybe there's your reason for this spatial act of violence.

Power Khan fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Feb 24, 2018

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

Even before that trade in the slaves was lucrative as gently caress. Jefferson did the math and figured out that he made more money from the "natural increase" in his slaves than from the actual farming that happened at Montecello.

https://www.monticello.org/site/plantation-and-slavery/property

1820 is after the slave trade was outlawed...

Like, it was a curve of course, but as soon as that started being enforced prices began to shoot up.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Mantis42 posted:

Technically it was painting school. They thought the people in his drawings were bad or absent, and that he drew buildings much more than human beings. They recommended he apply to the school of architecture instead.

The internet tells me he thought about it, but couldn't get in the pathway because he didn't graduate high school.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Technically it was painting school. They thought the people in his drawings were bad or absent, and that he drew buildings much more than human beings. They recommended he apply to the school of architecture instead.

The internet tells me he thought about it, but couldn't get in the pathway because he didn't graduate high school.

Yeah, Speer and Hitler got close because of their mutual interest in architecture.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Victor Hutchinson's POW Diary

Saturday 24th February, 1945

I have contracted a severe cold & for the present am wooing Morpheus as the only available ally in this hell.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

13th KRRC War Diary, 24th Feb 1918 posted:

Working Parties as usual. All Company Commanders, Signal, Cook & Pioneer Sergeants went up to reconnoitre the Brigade Support Area. All blankets of the battalion were disinfected at VIJGERHOEK by the Thresh Disinfector. Voluntary Church Parades were held during the morning under the various chaplains of the Forces.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Panzeh posted:

Yeah, Speer and Hitler got close because of their mutual interest in architecture.

What's funny is that even Speer recognized in his memoirs that the stuff he'd designed with/for Hitler was ostentatious garbage.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Nebakenezzer posted:

There seems to be a very deep connection between being a failure ... and deciding to go Nazi
especially now that the alt right is consciously grooming the failures (as long as they're white). Click on this, it's an entire thread. Read it. Then give it to your relatives if they're of the right age to be targeted.

https://twitter.com/MrHappyDieHappy/status/967027082537721856

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Feb 25, 2018

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Do we know if Hitler sought revenge on the art teachers that rejected him?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

HEY GUNS posted:

especially now that the alt right is consciously grooming the failures (as long as they're white). Click on this, it's an entire thread. Read it. Then give it to your relatives if they're of the right age to be targeted.

Man, I hope that guy's alright. He's got a lot to say and is eloquent.

EDIT: Uh, reading the most recent stuff I've got this really scary feeling I'm reading someone's suicide note.

spectralent fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Feb 25, 2018

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Acebuckeye13 posted:

What's funny is that even Speer recognized in his memoirs that the stuff he'd designed with/for Hitler was ostentatious garbage.

Memoirs that he wrote in the 60s. If you go purely by autobiographical accounts, the only person in Germany who was ever more than lukewarm about Nazism was Hitler. Also, Hitler was entirely personally to blame for everything from tasteless architecture to military blunders to the genocide.

It is entirely possible that is what Speer thought at the time, but a high-ranking Nazi claiming that he totally wasn't into any of that Nazi poo poo should be viewed with just a little skepticism.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Geisladisk posted:

Memoirs that he wrote in the 60s. If you go purely by autobiographical accounts, the only person in Germany who was ever more than lukewarm about Nazism was Hitler. Also, Hitler was entirely personally to blame for everything from tasteless architecture to military blunders to the genocide.

It is entirely possible that is what Speer thought at the time, but a high-ranking Nazi claiming that he totally wasn't into any of that Nazi poo poo should be viewed with just a little skepticism.

I do agree with you in general regarding his memoirs, but if I'm remembering Inside the Third Reich correctly (which I may not be, I was a freshman in high school when I read it so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong), his comments regarding his work as an architect with Hitler were that, as a young man placed on a pedestal by Hitler, he was overwhelmed by dreams of everlasting architectual glory and nonsensical concepts like ruin value-which led to things like his plans for the Volkshalle that boiled down to "make it stupidly big," and it was only after the war when he was looking back that he was able realize that many of his designs in actuality were objectively terrible.

edit: also apologies for the terrible run-on sentence

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Feb 25, 2018

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

HEY GUNS posted:

If you google some of the articles, I think PDFs should pop up. The books are visible in google books. Braudel is so famous you should be able to find used versions of his stuff for cheap
Specifically, use Google Scholar. It's a smidge better at finding the articles for you than regular Google is, and will at least tell you if you can grab it from home.

spectralent posted:

EDIT: Uh, reading the most recent stuff I've got this really scary feeling I'm reading someone's suicide note.
It says a lot that he's talking about Jordan Peterson being persuasive and doesn't realise that he himself is is far better than Peterson ever has been.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

bewbies posted:

Chattel slavery had the potential to be outrageously profitable everywhere. In the upper midwest, slaves could have worked corn/wheat and mining, in the far north, fur trapping and timber. The real reasons slavery divided along north/south lines was 1) it was ultimately cheaper for northern industrialists to use free labor, and 2) the Northwest Ordinance created a very arbitrary "no slavery" line, almost accidentally, that ended up being at the very heart of the war.

Also re this

for the first time in over a decade of doing this I actually got a thoughtful reply:

I giggled at "Booksville"

They could do the thing King county did, and rename the city to Brooksville but change who it's being named after

http://www.historylink.org/File/678

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

HEY GUNS posted:

Yeah, this has been popping up everywhere in CSPAM. Targeting the alienated and unwell is a Islamic terrorist tactic, and in Canada so far it ended in two shootings of mentally ill young men. Of course one of those guys murdered a honor guard at the national war memorial, then charged the Parliament building. Fortunately it turns out the Sargent-At-Arms in Parliament is actually armed, and not with a ceremonial mace, either

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

spectralent posted:

What he needed was therapy. What he stumbled into was Nazi propaganda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Geisladisk posted:

he also claimed to know nothing whatsoever about the whole working people to death thing, which...we have evidence that puts him in the camps themselves. Not only a loving Nazi but a self-exculpatory hack writer.