Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

From a recent Power Rangers comic:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe
I mean, persistence of vision is a scientifically verified phenomenon. It really could be one person moving very fast back and forth. A real-life, continuous Picard maneuver.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

what on earth

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

muscles like this! posted:

From a recent Power Rangers comic:

You are beautiful

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Does this come back today?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
No, it comes back tonight.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

swickles posted:

No, it comes back tonight.
Is it going to cover the news of last week tonight though?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
"And for a quick recap of what happened while we were away...

HOLY poo poo!"

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Is it on right now? The HBOgo app isn't showing it but everything I read tells me it should be on.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

John Oliver recognizing Trump lols.

e: yeah it's on, i'm watching it through my Amazon channels subscription.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
He kinda overemphasized ambassadors, when the true damage being done at State is the loss of career diplomats and foreign service personnel. I understand *why*, because I'd imagine more people inherently understand what an ambassador is...but kind of a weak episode for a return from hiatus.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I kind of feel like lack of closet space is the one complaint the Franks never had.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

BIG HEADLINE posted:

He kinda overemphasized ambassadors, when the true damage being done at State is the loss of career diplomats and foreign service personnel. I understand *why*, because I'd imagine more people inherently understand what an ambassador is...but kind of a weak episode for a return from hiatus.

Then there is the Russian clip with Putin

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I'm surprised he didn't go more into the whole Dutch ambassador thing, unless that has been mined for comedy by other US shows already. The dutch press really outmanoeuvred him.

Zedd fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Feb 19, 2018

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Zedd posted:

I'm surprised he didn't go more into the whole Dutch ambassador thing, unless that has been mined for comedy by other US shows already. The dutch press really outmanoeuvred him.

And it was glorious. :allears:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thIRJLsnIxY

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Caught my first episode of this yesterday. It's pretty great, think I'll start watching it from now on.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

McDragon posted:

Caught my first episode of this yesterday. It's pretty great, think I'll start watching it from now on.

Their YouTube channel has like 12 hours of really good content if you want to catch up, educate yourself, and get some yuks in.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Azhais posted:

But his book was good

Hearing Trevor narrate his own life was pretty great. His story of his mother is pretty much the only lucky miracle i've ever believed the story of even if its embellished (and I assume its barely embellished at all, due to medical records and police reports and the like)

As for JO, good start to the season but I really wish HBO would give him 45 min a week so he can do the regular important segments while still always dedicating the necessary 10 minutes to the stupidity of us politics every week.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
I wonder who decides how long the episodes are and what goes into the consideration for the final decision. It's not like HBO's shows are competing with each other for time slots, they could just make them longer with seemingly no cost, not even necessarily in production costs since they're saving the effort of having to compress the clips into a tighter length

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I have no idea but I imagine there's a difference between saying "hey, in 2 weeks we need 10 extra minutes" and letting HBO work that into its schedule and saying "Uh, we went 10 minutes over" after the schedule is set.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Oh, "schedule". I forgot that HBO is still an actual channel and not just a streaming service :shrug:

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
For LWT it probably doesn't matter much since it airs later at night, and I don't think anything "new" airs after 11:30. But shows that run back to back it probably does matter because you don't want an audience tuning in a 9 and waiting 15 minutes for Game of Thrones to start while Ballers wraps up.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Oh, "schedule". I forgot that HBO is still an actual channel and not just a streaming service :shrug:

This transition is being held up by old people and that's about it.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

dont even fink about it posted:

This transition is being held up by old people and that's about it.

"My VCR tape ran out when the show went on for an ten minutes! You should at least tell me so I could have set it to SLP mode."

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Well my thinking was that its actually an issue of DVRs because like my DVR can't on its own account for when a game goes long and the show after it starts late. So it wouldn't be able to account for Last Week Tonight running long and the movie after starting late (and a bunch of subsequent shows starting late). So LWT would have to give SOME head's up so the scheduling can update.

Plus I assume there's some person or some program that has to decide how many ads goes between programs and movies and adjust that, but I have no idea how that works.

I guess to some people DVRs and cable are also "old people" but I also kind of thinks its "sports fans" which is why that scenario seemed so obvious to me.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

The show doesn't need any extra time anyway.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
The production company for LWT is under contract with HBO to deliver a specific number of episodes per year, each with a specific duration window (this window is actually pretty short, like 30 seconds or less). I'd imagine there's a bunch of stuff every week that gets cut for time reasons which we never end up seeing. Something like Game of Thrones clearly has a different contractual agreement that allows them to vary the episode length each week (though over a season, the average-minutes-per-episode doesn't really change).

Given that it's been five years and they've never changed their episode length, I doubt there's any inclination from anyone involved to make it longer. "Just another 10 minutes" is increasing workloads by 30%, and that's for everyone - researchers, writers, floor staff, post-production staff, legal etc. Would it make the show 30% better? Probably not.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
There have been a number of episodes which briskly passed the 30-minute mark. But I imagine those are specially-arranged, or there’s an, “optional up to X amount of extended episodes” part of the contract.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Just in time for this week's episode the lawsuit against John and LWT by rear end in a top hat coal mining CEO Bob Murray has been dismissed by the presiding judge. The judge agreed that everything said on the show was either based on factual evidence or was obviously satirical and so Murray had no case to sue.

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit
God drat I woke up at the crack of noon today, looked at my phone, and rushed to post this in the JO thread.

Well we all knew it was gonna happen anyway...

Fresh Like Zafo
May 31, 2012

Eat poo poo, Bob.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Solvent posted:

God drat I woke up at the crack of noon today, looked at my phone, and rushed to post this in the JO thread.

Well we all knew it was gonna happen anyway...

But are you committed to doing deep knee rock squats?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Hopefully this inspires more people who get sued by him to stick it out instead of settle (although I know a lot of his targets don't have HBO's resources to back them up - it seems like they'd have pretty good grounds to countersue for legal fees though). Because eat poo poo, Bob.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Most people who get sued can easily be scared into submission by the sheer cost of missing work and getting a lawyer to understand what's going on in the courtroom. That's why people who have lawyers on a payroll are so threatening; a lawsuit is basically free for them.

I hope he talks about it on the show, just to rub in the fact that he won and there's no gag order.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Good episode tonight, but the whole thing was a bit overshadowed by the opening saying they plan to do a full segment on the lawsuit.

Can't wait for that.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

https://twitter.com/LastWeekTonight/status/968170641605218305

the quality of the fake game show footage is just, mwah :discourse:

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit
The president of the United States is the “Forest Gump of human misery”

“Angela Merkel is an unfuckable lard-rear end”

Just a couple quotes I took away from this last episode.

:sad:

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Considering how many times The Bugle piled on Berlusconi, that main segment must've felt like going home.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I know its been said many many times including by Oliver himself... but God drat does he waste a ton of HBO's money. They must really like the guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

STAC Goat posted:

I know its been said many many times including by Oliver himself... but God drat does he waste a ton of HBO's money. They must really like the guy.

I think HBO just throws money at all their shows, but LWT really isn't that expensive to make compared to say, Game of Thrones, so all they CAN do is waste it.

• Locked thread