Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I think z3n has one but come to think of it I haven't seen him post here in months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

EkardNT posted:

Has anyone bought one of the Bell made-to-measure helmets? My current Schuberth leaves a very painful credit card sized impression on my forehead after an hour of riding. I tried on various Shoei and Arai models last weekend and they were all various flavors of painful.

If you have, did you need to do anything to start the process besides emailing them? I did so several days ago and haven't heard back from them yet.

I have contacted them three separate times about getting measured - if you can't make it to an industry trade show where they're doing the scanning, good loving luck. The sales rep Bell kept referring me to in the Bay area never once responded to an email or call.

FYI, they cost north of $1000. I finally got an Arai that doesn't give me headaches so I gave up on Bell.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

EkardNT posted:

Has anyone bought one of the Bell made-to-measure helmets? My current Schuberth leaves a very painful credit card sized impression on my forehead after an hour of riding. I tried on various Shoei and Arai models last weekend and they were all various flavors of painful.

If you have, did you need to do anything to start the process besides emailing them? I did so several days ago and haven't heard back from them yet.

I had the same problems with my c3, so I bought the liner for the s3 (I think?) and it solved the problem. Apparently the liner is fixed in the c4 or whatever the new one is called.

Except my hot spot was more the size of a quarter- your helmet may just not fit.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

EkardNT posted:

Did you try an Arai Signet-X? It’s their long ova helmet.

I’m pretty sure z3n had custom Bell?

Edit: beaten.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

I think z3n has one but come to think of it I haven't seen him post here in months.

:ohdear: z3n buddy you ok?

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Does anyone have a recommended handlebar mount for phone/GPS?
Have had a couple but they ended being plastic crap that barely lasted. Bonus points for being able to survive xr650r wind/shakeageddon.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
RAM makes several models - https://www.rammount.com/device/phone-mounts - I have an X Grip on one bike and a Quick Grip on the other and they both work fine. The Quick Grip locks the phone into the mount where the X Grip just holds onto it, but I didn't have any issues in 8+ hours of slabbing with the X Grip

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Seconding ram mounts and Chinese knock offs of the same design. The claw or the bar clamp design works good, the ball / extension system is versatile and the xgrip works.

TeamIce
Mar 16, 2004
LET JESUS FUCK YOU

EkardNT posted:

I've crashed in Held Titans, A++ would crash again. The stingray leather did hold up as well as they say it would.

The only thing about them is they come with a little rubber windshield wiper blade thing on the side of a finger that was falling off within months. I'd just cut it off immediately if I bought them again.

Chiming in on this too, had a brutal crash in Held Titan Evo's. Not only did my hands not have a scratch (despite the rest of me being mangled, broke my shoulder in 3 places and my knee), the gloves are in good enough condition to continue wearing...definitely don't look as pretty as they used to though!

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Will a balaclava like this do anything for keeping my neck and chin warm at freeway speeds? It's dumb, but my chin was freezing cold and distracting when I was riding around in the high 30s / low 40s the other day. The review on that one said it was good until about 30mph, but I'm wondering if it's better than nothing, or just a pointless endeavor.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

MomJeans420 posted:

Will a balaclava like this do anything for keeping my neck and chin warm at freeway speeds? It's dumb, but my chin was freezing cold and distracting when I was riding around in the high 30s / low 40s the other day. The review on that one said it was good until about 30mph, but I'm wondering if it's better than nothing, or just a pointless endeavor.

I had one of those but couldn't get it to fit under my helmet. I ended up buying a Mountain Hardware neck gaiter which is just fleece. I ride all winter with it and am generally fine. My hands get cold before my neck. Rukka makes one that is Gore Windstop that looks pretty nice and would likely provide even more wind protection than fleece.

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

I have a neck gator thing from rev'it that works amazingly well. But pretty much anything that covers your throat and has gortex wind-stopper will cut the cold for 30 below temps at pretty much any speed/temp. Above that temp you can get away with just a cloth tube from Buff or something.

As an aside, I like that rev'it one because it doesn't go over the top of my head and it has a super wide collar that can be stuffed under your shirt/jacket for a good seal. I find that the ones without the collar thing tend to ride up and create a gap pretty quickly.

Lexorin fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Feb 26, 2018

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I hadn't thought of it fitting under the helmet, but that's probably a concern. I was thinking they were so thin it wouldn't matter, but then they'd probably be useless. It's barely ever in the 30s here, it just sucks when it is. I found an $8 amazon prime polartec neck gaiter to try out, thanks!

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

As with everything, doubling up increases efficiency. Sub 50f I use a klim covert. Near freezing I use a simple fleece neck tube above that. Sub freezing I swap the covert out for a klim Arctic but keep the fleece tube.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

Supradog posted:

Sub freezing I swap the covert out for a klim Arctic but keep the fleece tube.

Im pretty tolerant of riding in the cold, but if I needed this thing I would probably not ride.

Do you have a second helmet or does this somehow fit in the same helmet you wear without it?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

MomJeans420 posted:

What you want is a buff. Doesn't have to be buff brand. Though, of the several I have, my most comfortable and warmest one is my buff brand one.

http://buffusa.com/shop-buff/men/neckwarmers-category.html

They pack down to nothing, so you can just keep one in your pocket for whenever you need it. They are great for preventing chafing while touring, and protecting from the sun.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Seconding thirding Buff for 0'C and up. They're thin enough that you can get it up under your helmet, over or under your nose/mouth as you prefer.

I permanently have one in my coat pocket but I keep forgetting to use it because I automatically throw my helmet on first without thinking and then I don't want to take it off just to put on the buff :downs:

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Feb 26, 2018

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I always ride with a Buff regardless of temperature. It cuts the wind and keeps the sun off, so none of that burning and drying during any season. Soaked in the summer, it really helps keep cool since there's so much blood near the surface in your neck.

In the winter, I use this Mountain Hardwear balaclava. It's pretty thin, so easy to deal with under a helmet. Thin enough that if I was still cold, I could add a very thin skullcap on over it. And then I throw on a Buff or two over that depending on temperature. I've never used anything fleece or otherwise insulated, but I also rarely ride in super cold temperatures. Usually, just cutting the wind is enough to stay warm.

The other nice thing about Buffs is that they bunch up and cut the wind buffeting noise around the underside of the helmet a little.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

poo poo, guess I need a Buff too.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Kastivich posted:

Im pretty tolerant of riding in the cold, but if I needed this thing I would probably not ride.

Do you have a second helmet or does this somehow fit in the same helmet you wear without it?

It's a tight fit, but somewhat works in my Schuberth E1. If I rode more in the winter I'd get a proper snowmobile helmet with heated double visor + proper built in breath mask.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Wore my $8 neck gaiter on a ride in the 40s last night, A++ would purchase again. Made a huge difference in comfort at night, now I just need to keep my hands warmer.

Niacin
Mar 8, 2005
not so much
Does anyone have any experience with the Dainese D-Air gear? It seems like a good, if expensive, way to potentially save a collarbone.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

MomJeans420 posted:

Wore my $8 neck gaiter on a ride in the 40s last night, A++ would purchase again. Made a huge difference in comfort at night, now I just need to keep my hands warmer.

You coulda gone to a army surplus store and gotten a $2 flash hood.

I have a Seirus windproof thing when it's <50, and a Mountain Hardwear Windstopper Fleece for <30. I have to change helmet pads to fit the fleece, but the windproof thing is thinner than t-shirt material and soft, so normal padding works for that.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

Niacin posted:

Does anyone have any experience with the Dainese D-Air gear? It seems like a good, if expensive, way to potentially save a collarbone.

I just spent a fortune on a jacket and I really considered an airbag jacket. In the end I was concerned about being a beta tester for new technology and having to deal with it when it breaks.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

Jazzzzz posted:

RAM makes several models - https://www.rammount.com/device/phone-mounts - I have an X Grip on one bike and a Quick Grip on the other and they both work fine. The Quick Grip locks the phone into the mount where the X Grip just holds onto it, but I didn't have any issues in 8+ hours of slabbing with the X Grip

Supradog posted:

Seconding ram mounts and Chinese knock offs of the same design. The claw or the bar clamp design works good, the ball / extension system is versatile and the xgrip works.

Thanks, one heading my way now.

Capn Jobe
Jan 18, 2003

That's right. Here it is. But it's like you always have compared the sword, the making of the sword, with the making of the character. Cuz the stronger, the stronger it will get, right, the stronger the steel will get, with all that, and the same as with the character.
Soiled Meat
Can anyone recommend a cover for a Kawasaki Vulcan S? I keep the bike in my backyard, where there isn't any shelter. I'm in the Bay Area, so there's no snow or super high winds to worry about, just sun and occasional rain. No garage, and I rent the house, so I'm not interested in a pre-fab shed or anything like that.

I had been eyeing something like a CycleShell (http://www.cycleshell.com/), but I think I'd be fine with a standard cover. I started looking at them on Revzilla, and there's so drat many I don't know where to start. Therefor, a recommendation would be helpful.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Bilt makes a cover for Cycle Gear. It's served me well. It did a couple years in Arkansas and a couple in Colorado, all seasons and is still in awesome shape. One of those hidden gems, like Harbor Freight nitrile gloves. It's usually like $75 but there's pretty often a sale on that kind of thing and I got mine for maybe $45.

Also get yourself a ground anchor if there's no chance you'll have a garage soon.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
The Bilt waterproof cover is $60. I don't know why they even bother saying it's "on sale" when it's almost always that price. The non-waterproof one is, I think, $35. Just get the $60 one. A Vulcan S should fit a large. Maybe a medium.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

EkardNT posted:

Use a spoon to push down your forehead until it fits the foam of the helmet better.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Capn Jobe posted:

Can anyone recommend a cover for a Kawasaki Vulcan S? I keep the bike in my backyard, where there isn't any shelter. I'm in the Bay Area, so there's no snow or super high winds to worry about, just sun and occasional rain. No garage, and I rent the house, so I'm not interested in a pre-fab shed or anything like that.

I had been eyeing something like a CycleShell (http://www.cycleshell.com/), but I think I'd be fine with a standard cover. I started looking at them on Revzilla, and there's so drat many I don't know where to start. Therefor, a recommendation would be helpful.

I park my DRZ outside year round and use a Dowco Guardian. If it's extra windy, I have to put an extra strap around it to keep it from ballooning up, but otherwise it's been perfect.

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
Looking for a pair of 3/4 zip leather overpants, I came across this review, ordered myself a pair, and plan on stitching in knee, hip, and coccyx armor. I’m typically a 30 or 31 waist in regular pants so I ordered these in a 30, based on the general understanding that leather gear should be snug/form fitting, and will break in and stretch out a bit after use.

They arrived yesterday and they’re tight. Extremely tight. I can get them on over a pair of jeans, but just barely, and my jeans are slim fitting. I feel like when I add the armor pads, in particular on the hips, they’re probably going to be completely compressed against my body and not offering a lot of impact absorption.

Should leather pants be that tight when new? Do I just need to wear them more and break them in, or should I exchange for a 32?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

Ride more. Motorcycles smell like gas and oil and rubber and exhaust and soot and dust and all kinds of other things all the time.

Put them outside in the sun for a week so all the volatile compounds vaporize and escape.

Which reminds me of a thing that always bothered/interested me - what is that smell a bike gets in the wet? It seems to be the same for all bikes, a weird kinda earth smell, and riding in the UK it's one of the main sensory experiences of my biking life.

Capn Jobe
Jan 18, 2003

That's right. Here it is. But it's like you always have compared the sword, the making of the sword, with the making of the character. Cuz the stronger, the stronger it will get, right, the stronger the steel will get, with all that, and the same as with the character.
Soiled Meat

its all nice on rice posted:

The Bilt waterproof cover is $60. I don't know why they even bother saying it's "on sale" when it's almost always that price. The non-waterproof one is, I think, $35. Just get the $60 one. A Vulcan S should fit a large. Maybe a medium.

Just went with this one; exactly what I needed, something basic. Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Which reminds me of a thing that always bothered/interested me - what is that smell a bike gets in the wet? It seems to be the same for all bikes, a weird kinda earth smell, and riding in the UK it's one of the main sensory experiences of my biking life.

I've never noticed this? I do get a horrifying swampy odour when any of my textiles get wet though.

You should invite me over for drinks next time it rains so we can sniff each other's bikes.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
It's a little known fact that many motorcycle filters are made from dog hair, so this is probably what you are smelling OP.

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I know what you mean, I always assumed it was the smell of rain and road grime steaming off the radiator and engine. My SV basically funnels water into the radiator at a stop, which means big steam clouds and a lot of smell; my street triple less so.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Any opinions about the Icon Raiden boots? They're on closeout for about $80 and I'm looking for a more casual riding boot in terms of taking them on and off than my power ranger Sidi boots.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I would say it's either a version of this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petrichor

or it's literally that and you just notice it more on a bike the way you perceive all environmental smells more intensely.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Fats posted:

I know what you mean, I always assumed it was the smell of rain and road grime steaming off the radiator and engine. My SV basically funnels water into the radiator at a stop, which means big steam clouds and a lot of smell; my street triple less so.

This is what I've always thought it was too. I assumed you do't get it from cars since you son't get as much wet road grime directly on the engine. Definitely a different smell from petrichor. I get it as a more burnt smell than just earthy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
Anyone else with an RF1200 have a problem with literally all of their vents flying off the drat thing in 3 years?

e: also visor mounting tabs falling off, pinlock mounts falling off, pinlock inserts themselves not having enough tension to really seal up

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Mar 10, 2018