Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

El Grillo posted:

Sprint Vector currently discounted 52% on Oculus FYI. Only for the next 22 hours or something though.

It's $14.99 instead of $29.99. I think this is by far the biggest discount it's ever seen it launched with a 20% discount at $23.99.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
^^yeah folks on Reddit are speculating that it hasn't sold well. What's the online population like? It really only just came out.. but then again if it doesn't have crossplay then it's probably not that great..

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Getting automatched with 9 random people that I don't have any interaction with doesn't really interest me. It's not surprising that the multiplayer is lackluster and it's failing to snag people. I have just as much fun playing against AIs and since I know I'll never make leaderboards and don't really care, global rankings or whatever doesn't interest me either.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Is Sprint Vector good in solo mode? I dont have any friends with VR.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
New Gorn Update:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTKUPHtrpFg

Features include:
Windable crossbow gloves
Captain America style throwing shield, but with blades
little dudes that sit on the shoulder of bigger dudes
Different arenas, with things like spiked walls you can knock people into
A great sword and a great axe
Local multiplayer supporting 4+ people
a number of other things as well

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

mehall posted:

Is Sprint Vector good in solo mode? I dont have any friends with VR.
It's literally the same game; there's no interaction like there is with say star trek or rec room where you have to work together. They might as well be bots or a racing ghost recording. There's no lobby like in echo arena where you fool around or talk, people get hot-seated in at the start line.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Bhodi posted:

It's literally the same game; there's no interaction like there is with say star trek or rec room where you have to work together. They might as well be bots or a racing ghost recording. There's no lobby like in echo arena where you fool around or talk, people get hot-seated in at the start line.

Thats a bit disappointing to hear. Can you even chat while in game with people in any way? Like it looks like mario kart style fun, but wheres the fun if you can't play with friends or trash talk or do anything at all?

It also feels like, after echo arena, developers really need to understand the importance of a good lobby in VR.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Tom Guycot posted:

Thats a bit disappointing to hear. Can you even chat while in game with people in any way?

Public voice chat would most likely be a bunch of people heavily breathing into mics, so I can see why they didn't bother. There's always discord and a million other solutions for friends/private chat.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

I've been playing Onward quite a bit lately, mostly in the mornings GMT (when it is mostly Australians), and in the evenings GMT (when it is mostly Americans). The difference between those two groups is pretty amusing.

The Americans are either obnoxious teenagers yelling memes, or grown-rear end men who are super serious about playing soldier on the internet, complete with hand gestures and weird army lingo.

The Australians are all extremely chill and friendly and I am pretty sure most of them are high.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Geisladisk posted:

I've been playing Onward quite a bit lately, mostly in the mornings GMT (when it is mostly Australians), and in the evenings GMT (when it is mostly Americans). The difference between those two groups is pretty amusing.

The Americans are either obnoxious teenagers yelling memes, or grown-rear end men who are super serious about playing soldier on the internet, complete with hand gestures and weird army lingo.

The Australians are all extremely chill and friendly and I am pretty sure most of them are high.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAXp58W9aEE

:australia:

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Obsurveyor posted:

Public voice chat would most likely be a bunch of people heavily breathing into mics, so I can see why they didn't bother. There's always discord and a million other solutions for friends/private chat.

There’s voice in sprint vector. Wtf?

I think some of you need to play it before explaining how it works lol.

It don’t have cross platform grouping. You can make a lobby with friends, assuming they are on the same platform (oculus or steam, not both together). Which is the whole reason it’s not as popular. Can’t play with friends.

Beyond that. The game itself is fun. It’s just dumb how they did the MP

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Feb 23, 2018

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

EbolaIvory posted:

There’s voice in sprint vector. Wtf?

I think some of you need to play it before explaining how it works lol.

How can you play it to find out these things when no one bought it? :v:

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Has anyone had any luck putting their lighthouses low down and pointing them up?

My computer room is an awkward shape and has a slopping ceiling.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

Angrymog posted:

Has anyone had any luck putting their lighthouses low down and pointing them up?

My computer room is an awkward shape and has a slopping ceiling.

You might need to use that sync cable, since you'll block LoS between the lighthouses every few seconds.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Obsurveyor posted:

How can you play it to find out these things when no one bought it? :v:

Hahaha

There was launch day, when we all played that one time for 3-4 hours! Just enough to not be able to refund it! :v:

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

El Grillo posted:

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/vrgoons
There's a discord linked in the OP but it's not hugely active.
Hopefully some day there will be community functions on Oculus Home.

Great! Thanks.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
So Sprint Vector says it has cross-platform multiplayer (at least on their Steam page). Is that just a flat-out lie.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

jubjub64 posted:

So Sprint Vector says it has cross-platform multiplayer (at least on their Steam page). Is that just a flat-out lie.

1/2 a lie.

If you just play public lobbies, You'll play with other PC players across the platforms.

You cannot friends with the other side though, Or join private games with them. So theres no party groups, no playing with specific friends. You just all have to click "go" together in discord and cross fingers.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bam6_6D7lYE&t=157s

Another through the lens vid from Pimax. Guess the bands of lighter and darker are a camera artifact, but the brighter bits certainly don't look dim like people complained at CES so if it's all like that then whoopee.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Capturing screens Through a camera is completely points as it will never look how it will to a human eye. Especially brightness.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Feb 24, 2018

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

GutBomb posted:

Capturing screens Through a camera is completely points as it will never look how it will to a human eye. Especially brightness.

Also, no one who tries this apparently knows how to use focus either.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.
A friend of mine at work brought in his Vive and demoed it my office about a year ago, leading to me buying one shortly after. Fast forward to this week - we both brought in and set up our Vive setups side by side and did demos for our coworkers. We did 15-20 minute sessions for somewhere around 70 different people, plus some repeat customers, over the course of 3 days. Almost everyone 'got it' pretty quickly. We had a printed 'menu' of 10 different games/experiences for people to choose from.

Almost everyone did (and enjoyed) Richie's Plank Experience as their first taste of VR. All but a few people walked out on the plank. Most who did also grabbed cake/donuts. About 10% voluntarily stepped off (and a couple fell off unintentionally).

Most of the people did The Lab Longbow or Space Pirate Trainer as well, and everyone took to the mechanics really quickly - even the weapon switching in SPT, which surprised me, since many of the people were not gamers.

The 3rd most demoed game (if you combine Longbow and SPT into one "shooter' catagory at least) was Job Simulator, and probably 90% of people chose the Chef job. Almost everyone who tried it loved it, and did several of the tasks (and many people wanted to keep going past their time slots to do more).

Surprisingly few people were interested in Tilt Brush, and only a handful did Audio Shield or Soundboxing. A few of the more gamerly people tried Budget Cuts Demo and loved it, though only a couple got all the way through (some came back to try again when there was a free timeslot).

Overall the "VR Demo Days" went great - everyone enjoyed it, noone got hurt, and no equipment was damaged! I'm very glad we put waterproof sport covers on the headsets - it made wiping them down between demos super quick and easy, and spared people from sharing makeup and face grossness. I think the highlight for me was doing a PipeJob faceoff with a coworker (We both started at the same level at the same time on the two separate rigs - last man standing rules) in full view of a huge 25 person meeting. Good thing I work for a laid back fun-minded company!

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

I just got into the Vox Machinae playtest and its pretty great. I've only played against bots with garbage AI but the way all the cockpit controls are implemented is really neat. Its well worth signing up for if you haven't already. http://www.voxmachinae.com/index.shtml

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

JohnnySmitch posted:

A friend of mine at work brought in his Vive and demoed it my office about a year ago, leading to me buying one shortly after. Fast forward to this week - we both brought in and set up our Vive setups side by side and did demos for our coworkers. We did 15-20 minute sessions for somewhere around 70 different people, plus some repeat customers, over the course of 3 days. Almost everyone 'got it' pretty quickly. We had a printed 'menu' of 10 different games/experiences for people to choose from.

Almost everyone did (and enjoyed) Richie's Plank Experience as their first taste of VR. All but a few people walked out on the plank. Most who did also grabbed cake/donuts. About 10% voluntarily stepped off (and a couple fell off unintentionally).

Most of the people did The Lab Longbow or Space Pirate Trainer as well, and everyone took to the mechanics really quickly - even the weapon switching in SPT, which surprised me, since many of the people were not gamers.

The 3rd most demoed game (if you combine Longbow and SPT into one "shooter' catagory at least) was Job Simulator, and probably 90% of people chose the Chef job. Almost everyone who tried it loved it, and did several of the tasks (and many people wanted to keep going past their time slots to do more).

Surprisingly few people were interested in Tilt Brush, and only a handful did Audio Shield or Soundboxing. A few of the more gamerly people tried Budget Cuts Demo and loved it, though only a couple got all the way through (some came back to try again when there was a free timeslot).

Overall the "VR Demo Days" went great - everyone enjoyed it, noone got hurt, and no equipment was damaged! I'm very glad we put waterproof sport covers on the headsets - it made wiping them down between demos super quick and easy, and spared people from sharing makeup and face grossness. I think the highlight for me was doing a PipeJob faceoff with a coworker (We both started at the same level at the same time on the two separate rigs - last man standing rules) in full view of a huge 25 person meeting. Good thing I work for a laid back fun-minded company!

Sounds like a hoot, you guys need a DevOps Engineer?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

mashed_penguin posted:

I just got into the Vox Machinae playtest and its pretty great. I've only played against bots with garbage AI but the way all the cockpit controls are implemented is really neat. Its well worth signing up for if you haven't already. http://www.voxmachinae.com/index.shtml

Still waiting for an invite :argh:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I put in another application just in case the first one didn't work.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

PerrineClostermann posted:

Still waiting for an invite :argh:

Same. Signed up foreeeeeever ago

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/232263399

Here is some saved robot footage from last night against bad AI bots. This is the first round I played so I'm pretty trash.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

mashed_penguin posted:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/232263399

Here is some saved robot footage from last night against bad AI bots. This is the first round I played so I'm pretty trash.

No squawking, 0/5

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
looks real good, can't wait to

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

Got home a few days ago after being gone for a month and holy poo poo there are a bunch of new games out.

Do I get Onward, Sprint Vector or Brass Tactics? Open to other suggestions too.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
^^You can try Brass Tactics by getting the free demo, Brass Tactics Arena. Got it today but no time to try it out.

I did some more Sprint Vector (multiplayer) today and it can definitely be fun but it's also pretty tricky. You can get stuck at a certain point in some maps, where you die by falling down a chasm and then are just respawned in front of that chasm, meaning you can't get up enough speed to jump it... is really frustrating.
Then again I am bad at video games so it may be better for most people.

Onward is still one of, if not the coolest experiences out there for VR I reckon. The medium pace and the mechanics just make it really tense and incredibly satisfying when you get kills.

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

Great, thanks! I’m hesitant to get Sprint Vector because our ceilings are low and I had to refund Gorn after smashing the ceiling fan a bunch of times. It looks pretty intense. I’ll try that demo for sure.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Lemming posted:

No squawking, 0/5

I didn't have mic capture turned on. I was squawking in spirit :parrot:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I'm fairly new to VR (got a Vive just after Christmas) and have mostly been enjoying Longbow and Solus Project (but boy did that game get samey after a while).

First time blew me away though, the depth perception is incredible and although it's a little blurry, I find that if I just let my eyes relax (and try not to read a lot) I don't get any sort of eye fatigue and can play for hours.

Yesterday I got SuperHot and I'm loving it. God drat that game feels made for VR, I'm not sure why anyone would get the non-VR version now that the VR version exists.

I do like a good RTS so I'm rather excited about Brass Tactics but I assume that's not for Vive? A shame if so.

An another note Rec Room doesn't work for me - it keeps loading on the wrong screen and my VR goggles just show red. Any ideas? And what even is Rec Room anyway? I hear it's good.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I do like a good RTS so I'm rather excited about Brass Tactics but I assume that's not for Vive? A shame if so.
You can play Oculus-only game on Vive using ReVive, a free bit of software which isn't officially supported by Oculus but which seems to have gained their tacit approval. Lots of great games on Oculus so it's worth looking into.

quote:

An another note Rec Room doesn't work for me - it keeps loading on the wrong screen and my VR goggles just show red. Any ideas? And what even is Rec Room anyway? I hear it's good.
Rec Room is a sort of free small-scale MMO with fantastic game design, a neat aesthetic and a bunch of really cool 'quests' that you can take on with parties of four and which basically imitate MMO dungeons. Really worth getting working if you can. The only complaints tend to be that there are annoying kids - but you can easily get them kicked if they're under 13 and on the adult servers, or just mute them - and that the quests are really loving difficult even with a good four-man team.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

I'm fairly new to VR (got a Vive just after Christmas) and have mostly been enjoying Longbow and Solus Project (but boy did that game get samey after a while).

First time blew me away though, the depth perception is incredible and although it's a little blurry, I find that if I just let my eyes relax (and try not to read a lot) I don't get any sort of eye fatigue and can play for hours.

Yesterday I got SuperHot and I'm loving it. God drat that game feels made for VR, I'm not sure why anyone would get the non-VR version now that the VR version exists.

Superhot and superhot VR are different games though. Both are awesome in their own ways. There are some presentation elements in each that wouldn't work in the other.

Moogs
Jan 25, 2004

Proceeds the Weedian... Nazareth
Has anyone has issues with Revive and Lone Echo? I was able to play a week ago but last night when I tried firing it up, it wouldn't start and I got an error dialog box saying "this game needs to have been purchased through the Oculus store" or something. I did purchase it through the Oculus store, but I'm trying to run it through Revive.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

Maybe because the non-VR version is a full game, and the VR version is a short wave shooter with a gimmick?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
The full version is also, by that definition, a short wave shooter with a gimmick though. Also, compared to most VR games on the market right now, it's about 'full length' right now as goes the standard.

Longest games I've seen in VR come in the order of 3-5 hours (by average). SuperHot VR has so far taken up about 2.5hrs of my time and I've yet to finish it - that puts it in the 'full length' category for me.

Firgof fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Feb 25, 2018