Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

TheKingofSprings posted:

Has anyone tinkered with BBE in a Knightfall deck? Testing with Jace has been pretty reasonable so far but I know some people are trying that route too and it seems worth testing.

Typically the deck’s worst matchups are Tron and Control and I’m looking to improve those. Jace seems incredible vs. both Control and Lantern but just makes us durdle more vs. Tron. I’m looking at slapping 3 Geist in the board for those matchups but I’m not sure about it, does BBE change the nature of those matchups? Is it actually worth trying over Company?

I posted a BBE Zoo list further up the page on the previous page that has KotR, that might be a good starting point. I haven't been able to try it out myself but some version of it has popped up in the last few MTGO 5-0 dumps from Wizards.

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Tried some blue moon last night, the more controlling build without maindeck titi or peezy. Had a lot of fun and the deck seems like it has some super strong matchups and also some weak ones. Beat affinity twice, r/g eldrazi, and lost to elves game 3 after we both mulled to 5 and he had a turn 4 kill. Played a game against jund after, the pre-sideboard games against jund seem miserable.

Jace feels really good to cast but at no point did he feel "unfair", he just closed out games where I was already ahead or bought me time.

Are you running Platinum Empiriom + Madcap or Emrakul + Breach? My last Tarn is in the mail and I'm excited to finally be able to try it out. Though I'm sad that I didn't gamble on buying a Jace right before he got unbanned...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

C-Euro posted:

I posted a BBE Zoo list further up the page on the previous page that has KotR, that might be a good starting point. I haven't been able to try it out myself but some version of it has popped up in the last few MTGO 5-0 dumps from Wizards.

Are you running Platinum Empiriom + Madcap or Emrakul + Breach? My last Tarn is in the mail and I'm excited to finally be able to try it out. Though I'm sad that I didn't gamble on buying a Jace right before he got unbanned...

Nah I went with a 4 young peezy sideboard plan and the only maindeck wincons are snaps, burn, 2 jace and 1 Chandra ToD. Don't have a 3rd Jace yet but Chandra was actually pretty good. Didn't have a chance to board in pyro with the matchups I played.i adjusted my maindeck list to include a logic knot and a negate as well. I'll probably try it again on Tuesday before testing out UB control.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
https://www.twitch.tv/dutchopenseries first medium size tournament with the new cards is going on for anyone who wants to take a look

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Nah I went with a 4 young peezy sideboard plan and the only maindeck wincons are snaps, burn, 2 jace and 1 Chandra ToD. Don't have a 3rd Jace yet but Chandra was actually pretty good. Didn't have a chance to board in pyro with the matchups I played.i adjusted my maindeck list to include a logic knot and a negate as well. I'll probably try it again on Tuesday before testing out UB control.

I'd be interested to see that list, I saw a Blue Moon variant with 4 maindeck Blood Moon and 4 Spreading Seas which seems spicy and kind of what you're talking about, but lol at acquiring a playset of Jace. Chandra might be good in that deck, I'm hoping that she goes down in price with the Standard Challenger deck coming out.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Feb 25, 2018

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

TheKingofSprings posted:

https://www.twitch.tv/dutchopenseries first medium size tournament with the new cards is going on for anyone who wants to take a look

4C pile on stream with Slaughter Games & Notion Thief. Someone wanted to play with BBE and Jace :v:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Can someone post the top 8? I can’t watch anymore right now and I’m curious what did well

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
i've never cast bbe and kinda want to, so i may play this instead of burn (modern)? is 22 lands too many or nah?

i don't own goyfs. i could go naya for wild nacatl's and lightning helix over narnam renegade and atarka's command, too. this just seems easier to cast everything.

we unbanned a zoo

x4 goblin guide
x4 experiment one
x4 narnam renegade
x4 burning-tree emissary
x4 kird ape
x4 reckless bushwhacker
x4 bloodbraid elf
x2 ghor-clan rampager

x4 lightning bolt
x4 atarka's command

x4 wooded foothills
x4 bloodstained mire
x3 stomping ground
x6 mountain
x5 forest

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

What is 4c pil?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Cactrot posted:

What is 4c pil?

maybe they forgot an "e"

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Yeah it’s 4c pile, Jaces, Lilis, BBE

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

j8910 posted:

What's the most fun modern deck?

Elves or Bant Spirits

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Soul Glo posted:

maybe they forgot an "e"

I was hoping it was somehow 4c pili pala and there was a new hole in the meta for jank :(

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

TheKingofSprings posted:

Watching Turns vs. RW Control and these people play like they've never seen the game before

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

GoutPatrol posted:

Watching Turns vs. RW Control and these people play like they've never seen the game before

Small part I saw was miserable; neither player knew what the other's cards did & it made the gamestate a mess.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

TheKingofSprings posted:

Has anyone tinkered with BBE in a Knightfall deck? Testing with Jace has been pretty reasonable so far but I know some people are trying that route too and it seems worth testing.

Typically the deck’s worst matchups are Tron and Control and I’m looking to improve those. Jace seems incredible vs. both Control and Lantern but just makes us durdle more vs. Tron. I’m looking at slapping 3 Geist in the board for those matchups but I’m not sure about it, does BBE change the nature of those matchups? Is it actually worth trying over Company?

If I went that route I would cut the paths and use bloodbraid elves as collected companies #5-8. Flipping a reflector mage off bloodbraid elf is a buttload of tempo.

Tron is always going to be tough, but I like the control matchup after adding a few selfless spirits maindeck.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
could bant walkers be a thing or am i an idiot as usual

turn 2 Garruk into Nissa into turn 3 Jace seems strong, right? #christmasLand

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Feb 27, 2018

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Tim Raines IRL posted:

What's your gameplan to not get baked by Storm

E: Affinity too

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

TheKingofSprings posted:

What's your gameplan to not get baked by Storm
Almost certainly lose g1, bring in RiP and counters

quote:

E: Affinity too
almost certainly lose g1, bring in boardwipes and counters

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Tim Raines IRL posted:

Throw some Ewits in there & Tamiyo ult can be close to a hardlock :v: The synergy with Ancestral is nice too

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

hello, friends. two purposes for this post. one, i'd like to do a roll call of anyone that is going to GP Seattle in April. I had a good time with dudes I met up with Vegas last year. Second, I'm thinking of running back UB Death's Shadow, with some changes derived from the lessons learned of piloting it in that tournament and some others since.

//Main
3 Death's Shadow
4 Deathrite Shaman
4 Delver of Secrets
3 Gurmag Angler
2 Street Wraith

4 Brainstorm
4 Gitaxian Probe
3 Ponder
4 Daze
4 Force of Will
2 Dismember
1 Fatal Push
3 Thoughtseize
2 Snuff Out

1 Swamp
1 Tropical Island
2 Underground Sea
4 Wasteland
4 Polluted Delta
3 Verdant Catacombs
2 Watery Grave

//Sideboard
1 Abrupt Decay
2 Dread of Night
1 Fatal Push
2 Flusterstorm
1 Massacre
1 Null Rod
1 Pithing Needle
1 Reanimate
2 Surgical Extraction
1 Sylvan Library
1 Toxic Deluge
1 Winter Orb

I'm still on the same threatbase as last year. One lesson that someone pointed out was that one Watery Grave wasn't going to do it, and they were right. I've upped the watery grave count and changed my play patterns a little bit. Rather than concealing "the joke" for as long as possible it's correct to start shocking yourself asap so you can return the graves on Dazes. From there, the dismembers, snuff outs, probes and street wraiths get you there.

The other "innovation" is reanimate out of the sideboard. This card is fuckin gasoline, particularly in the Czech Pile matchup. Even something as silly as reanimating a street wraith is great - they can't bolt, fatal push, decay it or even BLOCK it. Since I'm using my life total as a resource more than most decks, reanimate just becomes a sweet value spell

the final oddity is Massacre. I'm testing this card out to see if it is worth it. It's there to solve two problems: Mirran Crusader and True-name Nemesis. Most TNNs I battle with are coming out of a stoneblade shell, so Massacre is turned on. It's the card I'm least sure about but i think it merits testing

Johnny Five-Jaces fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Feb 28, 2018

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug
What happened to Cruel Bargin? Was it too slow or?

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Thisuck posted:

What happened to Cruel Bargin? Was it too slow or?

yeah the only matchup where you really got your money's worth was lands. it was also in the older build before i broke down and put in street wraiths and more shocks so in those noninteractive matchups I really needed help with my own life total.

e: on the other hand its comedy potential is unmatched

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

hello, friends. two purposes for this post. one, i'd like to do a roll call of anyone that is going to GP Seattle in April. I had a good time with dudes I met up with Vegas last year. Second, I'm thinking of running back UB Death's Shadow, with some changes derived from the lessons learned of piloting it in that tournament and some others since.

I am tentatively planning on doing SeaTac in April.

muon
Sep 13, 2008

by Reene

Tim Raines IRL posted:

I don't think Tamiyo and Venser are worth playing, they're just not impactful enough for 4/5 mana in modern. Nissa is another sweet card but her 0 is mostly irrelevant in your deck and Scry 2 on a stick is nice but is it worth spending at least 3 mana on?

Esper Walkers with JtMS/LotV/LtLH, TS/IoK, Verdict/Damnation, Permission seems like it'd be stronger but I'm very bad at magic so

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

muon posted:

Esper Walkers with JtMS/LotV/LtLH, TS/IoK, Verdict/Damnation, Permission seems like it'd be stronger but I'm very bad at magic so

I was thinking of a jace/souls deck for this week.

But I'll probably cram thopter sword in there, because I too am bad at magic

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Has anyone tried to brew vampires in modern? Seems possible now that we have a 2-drop lord. I am thinking there's some kind of hyper-aggressive deck that curves out on 2-3, and also probably some kind of midrange deck. Here's a very rough first pass at a more aggro oriented build. Lots of 2 ofs, but those cards mostly have useful effects that don't stack.

Something like
4 aether vial
4 liliana of the veil
3 faithless looting
2 path to exile
2 inquisition of kozelik
2 lightning bolt
2 lightning helix
2 vampire nighthawk
4 stromkirk captain
2 stromkirk condemned
2 tithe drinker
2 pawn of ulamog
4 heir of falkenrath
2 indulgent aristocrat
4 legion lieutenant
4 bloodstained mire
2 arid mesa
2 marsh flats
2 blood crypt
2 godless shrine
1 sacred foundry
1 concealed courtyard
1 blackcleave cliffs
3 swamp
2 plains

SB
2 vampire hexmage
1 mirri the cursed
2 thoughtseize
1 inquisition of kozelik
2 stony silence
3 relic of progenitus
1 path to exile
3 blood moon

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Don't play Aether Vial.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

suicidesteve posted:

Don't play Aether Vial.

why not? being able to vial in lords seems good, and unlike elves we don't have another plan to cheat on mana

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Tim Raines IRL posted:

why not? being able to vial in lords seems good, and unlike elves we don't have another plan to cheat on mana

Aether vial in your deck that has 15 other non-creature spells is pretty bad.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
It's not the same thing but one of the budget Modern decklists on MTGGoldfish is a BW Vampires list trying to kill people with Blood Artist-like effects and Rally the Ancestors. It's a few years old and doesn't account for any of the new Ixalan vampires so maybe check that out?

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Aether vial in your deck that has 15 other non-creature spells is pretty bad.

you're talking to someone who's spent a lot of time piloting Eternal Command, so...

I'll test it both ways on Mage before I buy any of this poo poo (already have a playset of vials I've never sleeved, though, so if anything I'll probably move towards cutting some of the other spells)

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Tim Raines IRL posted:

you're talking to someone who's spent a lot of time piloting Eternal Command, so...

I'll test it both ways on Mage before I buy any of this poo poo (already have a playset of vials I've never sleeved, though, so if anything I'll probably move towards cutting some of the other spells)

Sure, but in that case vial is important because it's a part of a value/combo engine. This is just trying to get dudes in play, and it's competing with IoK and thoughtseize for your turn 1 plays. I'd either cut the vials, or cut some of the other spells depending on which direction you want to go.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Sure, but in that case vial is important because it's a part of a value/combo engine. This is just trying to get dudes in play, and it's competing with IoK and thoughtseize for your turn 1 plays. I'd either cut the vials, or cut some of the other spells depending on which direction you want to go.

Yeah, that's all reasonable.

Also not having k-command here seems definitely wrong. I'll tinker with this over the next couple weeks; this week I think I'm going to play some kind of jace/lilly esper control list.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

C-Euro posted:

It's not the same thing but one of the budget Modern decklists on MTGGoldfish is a BW Vampires list trying to kill people with Blood Artist-like effects and Rally the Ancestors. It's a few years old and doesn't account for any of the new Ixalan vampires so maybe check that out?

I was playing a really fun Junk Aristocrats deck for a while because I missed that from RTR/ISD standard so much. All 1-2 mana creatures + Flip Lily + Return to the Ranks. It was surprisingly consistent and really fun to play, not least because your opponent has zero idea what's going on. It would be budget if the mana base wasn't so bad, as 3-color usually is.

I will always remember the first round of a PPTQ I took it to, sat down across from an insufferable ultra-Spike with a fully foiled out Jund deck. Turn 1 Tukatongue Thallid, pass.....opponent just stares, takes my card without asking to read it (hate that), throws it back down and says out loud, "What the gently caress...". Absolutely crushed him, turns out targeted removal is awful against a deck that wants to sacrifice its own creatures regularly. He got game 2 by having all the discard in his opener to take my Return to the Ranks, but otherwise it was pretty easy. The final game he tried to bolt my Voice Elemental token that was at the time a 3/3 when I had an uncracked green fetch on board....he saw Dryad Arbor both of the previous games, there's no excuse.

He was fuming with his buddies after about losing to "not even a real deck", even though he played like garbage and was clearly on tilt from turn 1 seeing something unfamiliar.

Now I kind of want to play it again......

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

BaronVonVaderham posted:

He was fuming with his buddies after about losing to "not even a real deck", even though he played like garbage and was clearly on tilt from turn 1 seeing something unfamiliar.

and that's why I run reciprocate ;)

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Which of these two decks that I haven't bothered to update since the un-bannings should I run at FNM this week?

Deck: Blue Moon 180228

//Main
1 Breeding Pool
2 Desolate Lighthouse
1 Flooded Strand
7 Island
3 Misty Rainforest
1 Mountain
4 Scalding Tarn
3 Steam Vents
2 Sulfur Falls
2 Blood Moon
3 Cryptic Command
2 Electrolyze
3 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Opt
1 Pull from Tomorrow
4 Remand
1 Search for Azcanta
3 Snapcaster Mage
2 Spell Snare
2 Supreme Will
4 Through the Breach
1 Vendilion Clique

//Sideboard
2 Ancient Grudge
2 Anger of the Gods
1 Blood Moon
2 Ceremonious Rejection
2 Dispel
1 Engineered Explosives
1 Entrancing Melody
1 Jace, Architect of Thought
1 Keranos, God of Storms
2 Roast

Display deck statistics

OR

Deck: Ponza 180228

//Main
8 Forest
1 Kessig Wolf Run
1 Mountain
1 Sheltered Thicket
4 Stomping Ground
2 Verdant Catacombs
4 Wooded Foothills
4 Arbor Elf
2 Beast Within
2 Birds of Paradise
4 Blood Moon
2 Bonfire of the Damned
2 Harmonize
1 Huntmaster of the Fells
1 Inferno Titan
2 Mwonvuli Acid-Moss
2 Obstinate Baloth
1 Plow Under
1 Primal Command
4 Stone Rain
4 Stormbreath Dragon
1 Thragtusk
2 Tireless Tracker
4 Utopia Sprawl

//Sideboard
1 Ancient Grudge
2 Anger of the Gods
1 Choke
1 Fracturing Gust
2 Grafdigger's Cage
2 Kitchen Finks
2 Relic of Progenitus
1 Shatterstorm
1 Thrun, the Last Troll
2 Trinisphere

Display deck statistics

I feel like Ponza is in a slightly better spot right now but I want to get reps on Blue Moon since I don't usually play control decks. Also I'll be switching to the BBE version of Ponza as soon as I get my BBEs so I might just wait to get my Ponza reps in once I have that version of the deck ready to go.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

yeah just wait until you have BBEs to jam with Ponza. BBEs go a long way in solving the problem that Ponza has of running out of gas in the mid game after the opponent does hosed up things like "draws lands" or "disrupts your acceleration in any way at all"

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

yeah just wait until you have BBEs to jam with Ponza

It also ups your odds of finding your Blood Moons early and helps repair damage done by discard.

gently caress I wish we could find any other name for the archetype though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

BaronVonVaderham posted:

gently caress I wish we could find any other name for the archetype though.

GR Land Destruction
Inferno Titan Tribal
Oops! No Lands
An Inconvenient Truth