Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I have a friend who drove an old Golf for years and years and when she later bought a Japanese car she was astonished that you don't have to replace the fuel pump every 18 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Despite this list my dream car is an F90 M5 even though I know I’d be enjoying it from the back of a flatbed.

If I had the money I’d probably also be able to afford to keep it running too. Unless there’s glaring quality issues that hamper the enjoyment of it.

Why must all the most interesting cars also be the most unreliable? I like Toyota reliability but it honestly feels like a chore to drive one.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

German engineers don't grow up chugging lead or something, they aren't actually retarded, they just learn and work in a very different culture.

The reason a German luxury sedan rides a little better than a Japanese sedan is because the German engineers designed the chassis and suspension with ride quality as the primary concern, after cost of course. The reason the suspension and entire subframes of German luxury sedans fall apart is for the same reason, the poo poo is always a hideously complex Rube Goldberg contraption engineered with no thought toward reliability or repairability.

Japanese manufacturers, especially Honda and Toyota, focus more on simplicity and production efficiency. Toyota and Honda have long led the industry in manufacturing automation and consistency, along with an engineering focus on simplicity.

There's just straight up more moving parts and poo poo in most German cars, in addition to less mindful engineering and sloppier production.

Similarly, GM has some of the most talented engineers in the industry but their products are all poo poo because GM also has a horrifically stupid and awful American management culture.

Wheeee fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Feb 23, 2018

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Wheeee posted:

There's just straight up more moving parts and poo poo in most German cars, in addition to less mindful engineering and sloppier production.

In a general sense I don't think it's less mindful engineering. The engineering is usually incredible, but they build cars to be regularly maintained - suspension parts replaced regularly, fluids changed regularly (with the exception of that lifetime transmission fluid crap BMW pulled), and driven on first-world-country roads. Those same cars are then sold to people that care only about image, and as a result they end up being reglected, bought second-hand for a quarter of their cost, neglected more, and poo poo breaks and is expensive to fix.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

CornHolio posted:

In a general sense I don't think it's less mindful engineering. The engineering is usually incredible, but they build cars to be regularly maintained - suspension parts replaced regularly, fluids changed regularly (with the exception of that lifetime transmission fluid crap BMW pulled), and driven on first-world-country roads. Those same cars are then sold to people that care only about image, and as a result they end up being reglected, bought second-hand for a quarter of their cost, neglected more, and poo poo breaks and is expensive to fix.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

I mean, I see some incredible engineering there. I didn't say anything about ease of maintenance, did I?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

That's all at the front of the engine, I don't see what the problem is!

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

I'm the *~mysterious spheres~*

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

Monkey Fracas posted:

As the owner of a fine German vehicle on its second water pump (NO not a bmw), this was my first thought

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Monkey Fracas posted:

I'm what looks like a ~*water cooled alternator *~

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

This was done to change a headlight.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Monkey Fracas posted:

Probably a vacuum tank

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Kraftwerk posted:

Despite this list my dream car is an F90 M5 even though I know I’d be enjoying it from the back of a flatbed.

My buddy has one with a six-speed. Last time I rode in it, he went to WOT, and it immediately lit every warning light, the info page filled with errors, it went into limp mode, and then spent two weeks out of service.

Great car when it runs...

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

MrYenko posted:

My buddy has one with a six-speed. Last time I rode in it, he went to WOT, and it immediately lit every warning light, the info page filled with errors, it went into limp mode, and then spent two weeks out of service.

I've heard way more bad poo poo about BMW reliability, especially relative to Mercedes since about 2010. Just off the top of my head I can think of all the problems with the TT V8s in the 550/650/750/x5/x6 etc and I'm assuming the same issues in the M variants. However, it will be interesting to see how the Mercedes TT V8s hold up over time. Particularly the newer 4.0 L engines with the 'hot v' turbo configuration.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Wheeee posted:

The reason a German luxury sedan rides a little better than a Japanese sedan is because the German engineers designed the chassis and suspension with ride quality as the primary concern, after cost of course.

I think you meant to say 'French'.

Germans tend to prioritise dynamics over comfort, even in extremely large luxury cars.

Sits on Pilster
Oct 12, 2004
I like to wear bras on my ass while I masturbate?

dissss posted:

I think you meant to say 'French'.

Germans tend to prioritise dynamics over comfort, even in extremely large luxury cars.

Except Daimler

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Sits on Pilster posted:

Except Daimler

Even the a large portion of the S Class come optioned with lower suspension and huge AMG wheels - they’re not going to ride any better than a Lexus LS

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

You Am I posted:

Probably a vacuum tank

6 of them though? Also lol at rs5 rear timing chain.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

MrYenko posted:

I was shopping for a fun runabout and test drove a 135i at Carmax. It exhibited the symptoms of every common fault of the car. Slow window regulators, hard starting, and after a mild pull on the accelerator off the lot, limp mode because the HPFP poo poo the bed. That pull was awesome and the steering wheel was a glorious fat thing that filled my meathooks, but goddamn the thought of a fuel pump with a short life cycle like that.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

BloodBag posted:

I was shopping for a fun runabout and test drove a 135i at Carmax. It exhibited the symptoms of every common fault of the car. Slow window regulators, hard starting, and after a mild pull on the accelerator off the lot, limp mode because the HPFP poo poo the bed. That pull was awesome and the steering wheel was a glorious fat thing that filled my meathooks, but goddamn the thought of a fuel pump with a short life cycle like that.

Anecdotes, data, etc, but my brother and I have been driving F30 3-series (him two leases, me a CPO) for the past five years or so and all three have been stone reliable. I’m coming up on 60k miles and the only issue I’ve had is trouble pairing my phone with the car. He had to get an iDrive issue sorted, but no other problems.

Having written that, I now expect my N20’s timing chain to fail and kill my motor this week, because I probably just jinxed myself.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

davebo posted:

This was done to change a headlight.

Look it also let them fill the washer fluid so the cost is split up.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Everything is relative, even Chrysler products are really good these days compared to cars twenty years ago and most BMWs won’t blow up and cost the owner thousands of dollars a year in repairs.

It’s just that cars are major financial and lifestyle decisions, so compromising on quality has potentially greater costs in time and money than with most consumer purchases.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Wheeee posted:

German engineers don't grow up chugging lead or something, they aren't actually retarded, they just learn and work in a very different culture.

The reason a German luxury sedan rides a little better than a Japanese sedan is because the German engineers designed the chassis and suspension with ride quality as the primary concern, after cost of course. The reason the suspension and entire subframes of German luxury sedans fall apart is for the same reason, the poo poo is always a hideously complex Rube Goldberg contraption engineered with no thought toward reliability or repairability.

Japanese manufacturers, especially Honda and Toyota, focus more on simplicity and production efficiency. Toyota and Honda have long led the industry in manufacturing automation and consistency, along with an engineering focus on simplicity.

Idk, My Lexus (Toyota) LS430 has some pretty impressive engineering going on and is the best riding/driving car I've ever owned or ridden in. It's also dead reliable. If Toyota can do it why the hell can't the Germans do it?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Christobevii3 posted:

6 of them though? Also lol at rs5 rear timing chain.

Yeah, that Audi V8 is a pretty big counter-example to the "Germans design their cars to be maintained" idea.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Yeah, that Audi V8 is a pretty big counter-example to the "Germans design their cars to be maintained" idea.

Maybe "Germans design their cars to need maintenance" is a better wording

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Well you see, the superior German metal in the timing chain will never need maintenance.

It's the German plastic in the guides that gets you!

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Idk, My Lexus (Toyota) LS430 has some pretty impressive engineering going on and is the best riding/driving car I've ever owned or ridden in. It's also dead reliable. If Toyota can do it why the hell can't the Germans do it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvnFrI0KEW4

New crash test standards render it not sellable. We need pillboxes to pass the crush evaluation.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The Sicilian posted:

New crash test standards render it not sellable. We need pillboxes to pass the crush evaluation.

What is your point? I was comparing the dependability of Japanese luxury cars to German luxury cars :confused:

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Wheeee posted:

Everything is relative, even Chrysler products are really good these days compared to cars twenty years ago and most BMWs won’t blow up and cost the owner thousands of dollars a year in repairs.

I don't know about that - I know someone with a one year old Jeep Renegade and it's been unmitigated garbage. I think I'd take a 20 year old Cherokee over that.

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

Applebees Appetizer posted:

What is your point? I was comparing the dependability of Japanese luxury cars to German luxury cars :confused:

In a roundabout way, bloat from safety standards leads to increased weight. Pair that with tightening emissions standards, a new horsepower race and you get today's cars.

It just isn't as simple as copying the great engineering of early 2000's Lexus designers and putting on a contemporary body or many would.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

The Sicilian posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvnFrI0KEW4

Not entirely true - you could make an airy luxury car if you wanted to. Materials advances mean you could do it if you budgeted for it. But people like the pillbox look. They think it looks cool, tough, safe, and modern. Concept sketches and chopped hot rods have looked like that for a long time, only now production cars end up looking more like the sketches than they used to.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Not entirely true - you could make an airy luxury car if you wanted to. Materials advances mean you could do it if you budgeted for it. But people like the pillbox look. They think it looks cool, tough, safe, and modern. Concept sketches and chopped hot rods have looked like that for a long time, only now production cars end up looking more like the sketches than they used to.

Okay. So you can make an "airy luxury car" that uses advanced composites and materials, is acceptable emissions wise and has horsepower?

Got it.

This is one of those, "gotta see it to believe it," things.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

The Sicilian posted:

Okay. So you can make an "airy luxury car" that uses advanced composites and materials, is acceptable emissions wise and has horsepower?

Got it.

This is one of those, "gotta see it to believe it," things.

If you can make a convertible with no roof structure, you can make a sedan with a big greenhouse that passes regulations. But that's not what people want.

Range Rover came out with the Evoque concept which was basically just a Land Rover with a tiny greenhouse and sloping roofline and people liked it.

Also emissions and horsepower have absolutely nothing to do with rising beltlines and tiny windows.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

All of these have small greenhouses, it's true, but they also are overall pretty short/low. The doors on a modern porky car are probably taller than the roofline on these concepts. Look at the Challenger as an example of this. They aren't any lower than older cars, they just have monkeyed with the proportions. If you took the same low beltline that classic cars have and you chop the top down, you have a hotrod. If you take the same and you raise the beltline up to your ears, you have modern garbage.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

hahah when was the last time you stood next to a car and the roof was below your nipples

edit
A new car

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Feb 25, 2018

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
I really just miss 70s styling

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Also emissions and horsepower have absolutely nothing to do with rising beltlines and tiny windows.

Never said they did.

I said, manufacturers pump out the poo poo they do, due to a combination of all three.

I've always wondered with your posts, what do you for work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

KakerMix posted:

hahah when was the last time you stood next to a car and the roof was below your nipples

edit
A new car

i wandered through the mclaren dealership a few weekends ago. does that count?