Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
I thought it was going to be a bigger downgrade going from an OLED galaxy s8+ to an LCD iphone 8+ but I am really impressed with it. The colors aren't as good as OLED but TrueTone and an actually usable auto-brightness have become a really good trade-off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
please stop singing praises about the X and making me regret not being an early adopter and instead trying to stretch my 6S until the XI comes out

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Pivo posted:

No they totally look ridiculous, I notice them immediately when someone is wearing them in public. Make black ones with a shorter stem please Apple.

But when you are wearing them, gently caress what others think, it's just so comfortable to have decoupled wireless earbuds. I think your demographic cohort is most revealed by "caring what strangers think of you" rather than your birth year.

They make black skins for them but from reading they are a pain in the rear end to put on and are like $15 for some small rear end stickers.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

They make black skins for them but from reading they are a pain in the rear end to put on and are like $15 for some small rear end stickers.

A can of Krylon is like $3

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

MarcusSA posted:

Beats x are great for running but a little bit of a pain in the rear end at the gym. The behind the neck cord falls off when I bench and gets in the way during the front squat.

http://i.imgur.com/6jRj7nn.jpg

Not ideal but you can cross it in front of your neck for bench etc

I tried running with the beatsx and yeah it’s just not really designed around that with the way the bulk hangs on and in front of your neck, and quickly wants to go toward the back with wind.

I had my beatsx replaced because of battery life and yeah the replacements were no better at all. I’ve thought about having them replaced again but meh, just think battery life isn’t their thing. I haven’t measured it proper but I would say 5 maybe 6 hours on a good day

The micro USB on the power beats is annoying but I’m still curious to try them out

Those that have used the Powerbeats 3 or beatsx and AirPods in the gym. Which do you prefer for all your exercises? And running? I suppose you don’t always want earbud noise isolation

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

FCKGW posted:

A can of Krylon is like $3

I’ve considered Plastidipping mine but after looking at the sensors and how they charge I doubt I would be able to do a good enough job. I don’t really mind the white, though it would have been a lot easier to find the one I dropped in the snow last month if it had been black instead.

[Edit: I might Plastidip the case though, after a few months in the coin pocket of my jeans everyday the case is stained slightly blue.]

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

http://i.imgur.com/6jRj7nn.jpg

Those that have used the Powerbeats 3 or beatsx and AirPods in the gym. Which do you prefer for all your exercises? And running? I suppose you don’t always want earbud noise isolation

Powerbeats 3 or AirPods.

Although my Powerbeats 2 died after a long running session (2+ hours) and I’m a little salty about that.

Still though the PB3s for like 85ish are great and really do have great battery life. I wish it used a lightning connector but that’s the only drawback.

lelandjs posted:

I’ve considered Plastidipping mine but after looking at the sensors and how they charge I doubt I would be able to do a good enough job. I don’t really mind the white, though it would have been a lot easier to find the one I dropped in the snow last month if it had been black instead.

[Edit: I might Plastidip the case though, after a few months in the coin pocket of my jeans everyday the case is stained slightly blue.]

Amazon has cases for the case. Not sure I would dip the case either because of the button on the back.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

BeatsX aren’t officially sweat-proof, Powerbeats are.

Best Buy has the PB3 starting at $70 for refurb right now

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

FCKGW posted:

Yeah that’s a great deal for the PB3s. I paid like 88 for mine. Very recommended at that price.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I'd never go smaller than a + size

I went to an 8+ from a 6 and I regret it. Will definitely go back to a smaller phone next time.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Just get the X or whatever they end up calling the sequel later this year: very close to the form factor of the smaller phones, but the screen is larger than the plus phones.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Yeah I’m leaning towards that.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I went from a + to an X and have zero regrets. I don't miss having a giant phone at all.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
As much as I like the screen of the X, I've played around with one and I don't really like such small bezels on any phone. Once you get past the wow factor, it can be annoying when you're trying to hold the phone horizontally and you accidentally hit something because there's no real place to put your fingers on the front of the phone. This normally comes up most when I'm trying to watch something in bed while on my back, holding my phone up.

These are certainly first world problems, but I actually enjoy having places to put my fingers on the +.

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."

BottleKnight posted:

As much as I like the screen of the X, I've played around with one and I don't really like such small bezels on any phone. Once you get past the wow factor, it can be annoying when you're trying to hold the phone horizontally and you accidentally hit something because there's no real place to put your fingers on the front of the phone. This normally comes up most when I'm trying to watch something in bed while on my back, holding my phone up.

These are certainly first world problems, but I actually enjoy having places to put my fingers on the +.

I love my X, but I have this terrible problem where I cannot get my phone out of my pocket without pressing somewhere on the screen where it thinks I'm trying to open a notification, and then it sees my face and unlocks and opens, and I never get a chance to actually look at my notifications.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

So I got the iPhone X today and it’s my first phone that supports HEIC. How much of a pain is it to use that as opposed to jpg? I only got the 64gb as I never used up half of my 6s with 64gb but having extra space using HEIC would be nice

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

It’s s good format. I convert on the way out

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

god this blows posted:

So I got the iPhone X today and it’s my first phone that supports HEIC. How much of a pain is it to use that as opposed to jpg? I only got the 64gb as I never used up half of my 6s with 64gb but having extra space using HEIC would be nice
It's pretty much seamless. Only thing I could potentially being a problem would be dumping photos into Windows or something.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
AirPods are great if your ears and purposes suit them. Like I keep them attached to my car keys and they make taking the occasional phone call infinitely easier. At work I have a headset on one ear and an AirPod on the other and it's great.

That said, you need ears shaped like Steve Jobs to enjoy them. The battery life isn't great even if the charging case is. And depending on your activity, they may fall out.

I love my AirPods, but I think I'm getting one of those bone conductive headsets for the gym.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Krispy Wafer posted:

AirPods are great if your ears and purposes suit them. Like I keep them attached to my car keys and they make taking the occasional phone call infinitely easier. At work I have a headset on one ear and an AirPod on the other and it's great.

How?

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

FCKGW posted:

Except PB3 aren’t , no matter what they say. I loved mine until I used them in the gym. The controls would get sweat on them and they would start to change the volume on their own, and then not work at all until they dried out. I hoped it was just mine and an exchange would fix it, but a google search showed it was a pretty widespread thing. It’s sad because I really did love mine, awesome sound and fantastic fit.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

My PB2 were pretty bad. The volume control didn’t work, I didn’t find them comfortable beyond 30 minutes of running and then they just refused to turn off so I had to discharge and then recharge them after every run. I have got some £20 Bluetooth headphones off amazon that have one volume setting that isn’t deafening but apart from that are pretty great so far.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=airpod+case

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

A case for your case. I love it.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I'm kinda half joking here but have anybody "invented" cords for AirPods? Like I could totally picture some tech bro going on about solving the problem of losing your AirPods with a cable that attaches to them and goes around your neck.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Of course. Some were probably linked in the last few pages in this thread.

E: I didn’t mean that in a “pay attention, dummy” way.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Boris Galerkin posted:

I'm kinda half joking here but have anybody "invented" cords for AirPods? Like I could totally picture some tech bro going on about solving the problem of losing your AirPods with a cable that attaches to them and goes around your neck.

Yes. There’s a lot actually. Hell there’s tons of videos reviewing all that poo poo for airpods on YouTube

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Pivo posted:

I went on A319 and a A321 this past weekend with only AirPods and I was sat in rows, uh, 31 and 35 respectively, and I could barely hear Stranger Things season 2 over the engines & HVAC on my AirPods. Gotta say, the one time I have to complain about them. They are fine for Toronto transit, they are not fine for medium range jets in Economy, get some fuckin' noise cancelling or over-ears poo poo. I'll be bringing my NAD HP50 on the flight next time, closed back but not active noise cancelling, still quieter than AirPods. Really thought they'd do better in such a high noise environment. The lack of wire is amazing for mobility on a cramped plane.

Bose QC30 are amazing for flights.

Best purchase I've made since I bought the wired QC20, I actually travel with both all the time.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Got to hear the HomePod at Best Buy today. Uhhh... I don't care what reviewers and "audiophiles" say, it kinda sounds like a Bluetooth piece of poo poo. Maybe it fares better in a smaller room? Either way, it being on display in a huge warehouse-style store wasn't doing it any favors.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Yeah that’s the absolute worst place for a speaker like that

Weedle
May 31, 2006

It’s a HomePod not a StorePod :smugdog:

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
The next time someone says airpods look silly:

https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/02/26/sony-introduces-wireless-xperia-ear-duo-open-ear-ambient-stereo-sound/

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

For that old-timey hearing aid aesthetic

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Lt. Uhura called

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I like how the article tries really hard to gush over it instead of doing the appropriate thing and calling it the piece of poo poo it obviously is.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Also, $100 more.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
"There are also sensors on board that let you shake your head to take or decline calls and skip through your music"

Sir, are you ok? Are you having a seizure?

Nah, I'm just skipping through this Spotify playlist.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Phthisis posted:

I love my X, but I have this terrible problem where I cannot get my phone out of my pocket without pressing somewhere on the screen where it thinks I'm trying to open a notification, and then it sees my face and unlocks and opens, and I never get a chance to actually look at my notifications.

:same:
Even picking it up off the table my finger will edge around the non-bezel and give the screen 1/1000th of a "slide" and FaceID will chose that moment to over perform at a 90 degree angle and whoops, home screen. Mostly can swipe down of the notch and see most of the notifications it just blanked, though.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Pivo posted:

ya welcome to samsung devices for the past 5 years, its just a high quality Samsung screen

literally the only reason I bought the X over the 8. uff Dark Mode in a dimly lit room, no eye strain.

as you said, so worth it.

Samsung still cranks up the saturation on their own devices don't they? Every S8 I've seen has looked overly saturated to my eyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

MrBond posted:

Samsung still cranks up the saturation on their own devices don't they? Every S8 I've seen has looked overly saturated to my eyes.

All their recent phones (since the S5 I think?) have a few different display calibrations to choose from. The "Photo" mode is, according to a few websites, almost perfectly color calibrated (better than any of Apple's phones until the X, in fact).

The default calibration is totally oversaturated though.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Feb 26, 2018