Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustached5thGrader
Oct 1, 2011

My mother won't let me grow a goatee.

Jedit posted:

It blows my mind a bit that the guy who played Lance Sweets on Bones went on to write Spider-Man: Homecoming and now directs movies.

I think 99% of people know him as the kid from freaks and geeks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Mustached5thGrader posted:

I think 99% of people know him as the kid from freaks and geeks

I didn't know who the guy from Bones was, but as soon as you said this, I knew exactly who it was.

The weird part is, I've never seen Freaks and Geeks.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Leavemywife posted:

I didn't know who the guy from Bones was, but as soon as you said this, I knew exactly who it was.

The weird part is, I've never seen Freaks and Geeks.

Yeah, it's crazy thinking that I don't know a single person who has ever watched Bones, but it was on the air for like 12 years.

I knew he was doing some writing, but I didn't realize he directed Vacation (which got terrible reviews) and Game Night (which is getting surprisingly good reviews). And Spiderman Homecoming was fantastic.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Nihonniboku posted:

Yeah, it's crazy thinking that I don't know a single person who has ever watched Bones, but it was on the air for like 12 years.

I knew he was doing some writing, but I didn't realize he directed Vacation (which got terrible reviews) and Game Night (which is getting surprisingly good reviews). And Spiderman Homecoming was fantastic.

I've seen a few episodes of the show, and I couldn't stand the titular character. She was so off-putting to me, because of her lovely personality, that I couldn't stand the show. I've never known anyone else to watch it, either, which is weird.

It's like NCIS; I only know of my parents watching it, but nobody else. And The Big Bang Theory.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

NCIS and its parent show JAG have, combined, 25 years worth of television. I somehow doubt every case dealt with the Navy.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

The MSJ posted:

Content:

This is great.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Bones was an okay murder mystery procedural type show but it had a tendency to get really gross-out gory in a way I really hate.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Freaks and Geeks is classic though

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Shoehead posted:

Freaks and Geeks is classic though

Someone should pay that casting director a lot of money.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
John Francis Daley was great casting for Freaks and Geeks. He isn't really a great actor, but that's just what was needed to perfectly capture a dorky high school freshman. It was spot on, as was all the casting for the show.

It's cool that he's now a director/writer. I saw Game Night and it wasn't bad at all. Not the best R comedy I've seen, but it got a few laughs out of me and had some clever bits in the script.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Jose Oquendo posted:

John Francis Daley was great casting for Freaks and Geeks. He isn't really a great actor, but that's just what was needed to perfectly capture a dorky high school freshman. It was spot on, as was all the casting for the show.

It's cool that he's now a director/writer. I saw Game Night and it wasn't bad at all. Not the best R comedy I've seen, but it got a few laughs out of me and had some clever bits in the script.

Well, that's the thing. Are there that many great comedic movies these days? Even R Rated comedies seem to be catering to the greatest common denominator. I can't recall the last time I saw a movie that was explicitly a movie. I think the funniest movie I've seen in the last year was the anime Your Name.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Guy Goodbody posted:

Outlaw Star blended sci-fi and western tropes with Asian philosophy to create an interesting world and mystery that drove the show. That's what gave Josh Whedon the idea to have a bunch of white guys read Chinese words phonetically occasionally, and also not have any asians in the show

Outlaw Star also has the main character kill a flying tao magician by shooting him with a gun that fires wizard spells. In the first episode.

Suffice to say that whedon lacked the core vision that made Outlaw Star work as a setting.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Chris Knight posted:

This is great.

What do you like about it, besides it being kind of nicely Saul Bassy.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The perspective on the title doesn't match the graphic. And even if it was more straight for legibility, the 'night' repetition is just the word cloned a couple of times without getting smaller, so it grows past the right edge of the previous word each time.

Also the movie is just okay.

edit: Something more like this (except with the NIGHTs fixed, which I couldn't be bothered to do)

ee: and that's just an eyeballed correction, so no complaining!

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Feb 26, 2018

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Teenage Fansub posted:

Also the movie is just okay.

It's a broad comedy. It was never going to be more than just okay. In fact, I can't even remember the last time there was a major studio comedy that was actually funny and good.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
What constitutes a major studio? Because A Futile and Stupid Gesture was quite funny.

But yeah, on the whole you're totally right. These days at best we get an occasional funny genre crossover movie like Nice Guys or Thor Ragnarok, but very rarely a great straight-up comedy. The last great comedy-first I can think of is What We Do In the Shadows, and then maybe 22 Jump Street, both of which are also genre movies.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jumanji is a comedy.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

feedmyleg posted:

What constitutes a major studio? Because A Futile and Stupid Gesture was quite funny.

Oh I've seen advertised that on Netflix. I'll check it out.

quote:

But yeah, on the whole you're totally right. These days at best we get an occasional funny genre crossover movie like Nice Guys or Thor Ragnarok, but very rarely a great straight-up comedy. The last great comedy-first I can think of is What We Do In the Shadows, and then maybe 22 Jump Street, both of which are also genre movies.

You're right, Thor was hilarious, thanks to Taika Waititi.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

New Pokemon movie

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
If there's one thing anime posters are good at, it's beautiful blue skies.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
That Chansey needs to be taken away from that man.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Steve Yun posted:

This is one of my favorite posters

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Oh yeah, and the bestest greenest grass.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

(The Girl Who Leapt Through Time)

It's not blue but I like this one

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Steve Yun posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibPCLMH1NM4

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

What's interesting about the new Pokemon movie is that the previous movie was an anniversary reimagining of the first episode of the anime, and this one seems to be continuing from that and establishing a new alternate movie continuity.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
This abomination popped up when I was browsing some new movies today.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wow, bold move of them to make a biopic centered around the world's only Jeb enthusiast

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
JESUS CHRIST WHAT IS WRONG WITH THAT WOMAN'S FACE. :stonk:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Bad Photoshop job or fuckin captured alien, you be the judge

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Have you never seen Amanda Seyfried?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
That looks like they took Amanda Seyfried's face and shopped it onto another woman's much smaller head

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

That’s her normal face, dude.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Yeah, Amanda Seyfried has always been a little weird looking. It’s kind of her thing, I thought? So I’d say she looks pretty normal in that, although it’s not exactly flattering to either of them.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Her face is fine. She's very cute. This is why she's weird:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZ_HugKUePs

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

el oso posted:

This abomination popped up when I was browsing some new movies today.

Is this the prequel to American Gothic?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
*claps off*

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I think it's a time travel movie, cause that's clearly Ed Helms from ten years ago, and Amanda Seyfried from ten years in the future.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

The MSJ posted:

Her face is fine. She's very cute. This is why she's weird:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZ_HugKUePs

true story:

i worked at a bakery in Chicago for a while, and my first few months were spent as an overnight baker (until i realized that working two jobs, from 3:30-10:30 and then 12:30-6:00am sucks hardcore), and my least favorite thing in the entire job was taking the garbage out at the end of my shift because it was early morning before the garbage trucks had come and there were gross rats and poo poo outside and rats are fuckin' gross. So one day my boss comes in as I'm finishing up my shift and notes that there's a dead rat in the driveway and neither of us wanted to take the trash out so we were just kind of waffling when the girl who worked the front-of-house came in. We told her our predicament and she got really excited and went outside and scooped that gross dead rat up in a bag and put it (i think) in our fridge to take home that night. Turns out she really loves taxidermy and the rat was apparently not damaged in any way so it was a good specimen but gently caress if that wasn't the grossest thing.

My other job had me work with someone who had a dead bird in her freezer for a while but she was going to draw it at some point because she was studying medical illustration and apparently that's good practice. I prefer my dead animals to be processed by a butcher before I put them in my fridge/freezer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

All those shadows in her face make her look incredibly average. It's like the photographer just shot her without any lights whatsoever.