Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"

KakerMix posted:

hahah when was the last time you stood next to a car and the roof was below your nipples

edit
A new car
Nearly every day if I walk by most any coupes? The Mustang and Camaro are only 2-3" taller now than in their first generations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

I remember seeing the new (current) Camaro and wondering what the gently caress was wrong with GM that they’d gently caress it up again

Turns out they did their market research and people who actually buy new cars love the mean aggressive bunker look

and they’re right, the Camaro looks way cooler than the Mustang

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

The Sicilian posted:

Okay. So you can make an "airy luxury car" that uses advanced composites and materials, is acceptable emissions wise and has horsepower?

Got it.

This is one of those, "gotta see it to believe it," things.
Model S

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Not a luxury car.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Also pretty dark inside and bad rear visibility

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

In other news, today I saw the following license plate on a Tesla:

S★TRGEN

(you can get stars and other symbols in your license number in California)

I know the Tesla owner's agreement says that you have to get a smug electricity pun license plate when you buy one, but I can't figure this one out. The best guess I can come up with is "starter-gen[erator]", which would make sense on a Prius or something, where the traction motor is also the starter and a generator. Doesn't make sense on a Tesla but it's possible that they took it off their old car (Priuses used to require smug electricity puns until the plebs got ahold of them) and that's what it means.

Anyone have any other guesses?

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Idk, My Lexus (Toyota) LS430 has some pretty impressive engineering going on and is the best riding/driving car I've ever owned or ridden in. It's also dead reliable. If Toyota can do it why the hell can't the Germans do it?

Compare your LS430 to an S-Class or 7 Series of the same era. The LS430 is nowhere near as complicated in engineering or technology. Besides, I think the Japanese automakers know that anything they build for U.S. consumption has to be robust enough to survive our lackadaisical take on auto maintenance (i.e. the dolt who runs a Corolla for 100k+ miles without a single oil change).

Wheeee posted:

I remember seeing the new (current) Camaro and wondering what the gently caress was wrong with GM that they’d gently caress it up again

Turns out they did their market research and people who actually buy new cars love the mean aggressive bunker look

and they’re right, the Camaro looks way cooler than the Mustang

No.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Sagebrush posted:

S★TRGEN

I know the Tesla owner's agreement says that you have to get a smug electricity pun license plate when you buy one, but I can't figure this one out. The best guess I can come up with is "starter-gen[erator]", which would make sense on a Prius or something, where the traction motor is also the starter and a generator. Doesn't make sense on a Tesla but it's possible that they took it off their old car (Priuses used to require smug electricity puns until the plebs got ahold of them) and that's what it means.

Estrogen?

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

david_a posted:

Estrogen?

yea

incorrect

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Wheeee posted:

yea

incorrect

The front comes pre-smashed?

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Yeah I'm sorry but the Camaro is ugly and impossible to see out of.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Domestic Amuse posted:

Compare your LS430 to an S-Class or 7 Series of the same era. The LS430 is nowhere near as complicated in engineering or technology. Besides, I think the Japanese automakers know that anything they build for U.S. consumption has to be robust enough to survive our lackadaisical take on auto maintenance (i.e. the dolt who runs a Corolla for 100k+ miles without a single oil change).

So you're confirming what I said then, that Japanese luxury cars are more reliable lol. Apparently the Germans should engineer their cars for lackadaisical Americans too?

And I don't know about Lexus engineering being "nowhere near" Mercedes or BMW that sounds like a stretch to me. Just because a BMW 7 series has more unnecessary options than an LS doesn't mean it's engineered better.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Domestic Amuse posted:

I'm trying to think of which features were lacking on the LS. Apparently the LS got air suspension before the S-Class.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Yeah I'm sorry but the Camaro is ugly and impossible to see out of.

Yep.

So you're confirming what I said then, that Japanese luxury cars are more reliable lol. Apparently the Germans should engineer their cars for lackadaisical Americans too?

And I don't know about Lexus engineering being "nowhere near" Mercedes or BMW that sounds like a stretch to me. Just because a BMW 7 series has more unnecessary options than an LS doesn't mean it's engineered better.

IMHO the original LS400 did a good job of copying what the Germans were doing, only with a bit more quality and at a much lower price point. The Japanese in general are more content with constant refinement, whereas the Germans are more willing to step outside of the engineering box now and again.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Domestic Amuse posted:

IMHO the original LS400 did a good job of copying what the Germans were doing, only with a bit more quality and at a much lower price point. The Japanese in general are more content with constant refinement, whereas the Germans are more willing to step outside of the engineering box now and again.

The problem with that is the Germans seem content with their cars being worthless out of warranty, and going by that lemon list not too great during the warranty period either. You would think that they would take cues from the japanese at some point and try to engineer some sort of reliability into their cars.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
Not sure they have a reason to, look at Subaru's performance on that list, terrible, and they've still been killing it for several years now nearly entirely on image.

Cellular Suicide
Dec 9, 2005

Classical 33's at 45RPM
Maybe not entirely on image, we had a 2003 Forester that I sold for parts or repair when it finally threw a rod after 20,000 miles of terrible oil consumption. That model and others had well documented ring and head gasket issues. We still bought a 2016 Outback well aware of the oil consumption and CVT history.

There aren’t many AWD setups that beat Subaru for a winter like the northern midwest has this year. We’ve been down fire access roads a few hours north of Duluth through 12+ inches of snow, and it hauls a week’s worth of tenting gear for four across hints of once groomed dirt roads in the summer. It’s appropriately equipped for the price.

Basically, given full awareness of past and current reliability issues it was worth it for us. Different strokes for different new car buyers, but Subaru still has some practicality behind the marque.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Elem7 posted:

Not sure they have a reason to, look at Subaru's performance on that list, terrible, and they've still been killing it for several years now nearly entirely on image.

For pride? I figured since the German engineers were so much better they would want to build the best product possible, but if their intentions are only to build disposable luxury cars for wealthy people I guess they succeeded.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

The problem with that is the Germans seem content with their cars being worthless out of warranty, and going by that lemon list not too great during the warranty period either. You would think that they would take cues from the japanese at some point and try to engineer some sort of reliability into their cars.

It's insane how you can spend close to 100k on a luxury car only to find out the water pump is completely made of plastic or the coolant runoff tank is actually a two piece plastic container glued together with adhesive that fails and leaks coolant everywhere....
Also brittle cheap plastic tubing that reacts bad to heat expansion... :psyduck:

Who makes loving decisions like that?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Kraftwerk posted:

It's insane how you can spend close to 100k on a luxury car only to find out the [anything under the hood…]

If I'm spending $100k on a luxury car I ain't gonna find that out.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

There had to be a discussion about it you would think.

"do you really think a plastic water pump is a good idea? We could engineer a metal water pump."

"Nah, that would add to the costs. If it breaks under warranty we'll just fix it. If it breaks after warranty who gives a gently caress?"

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

There had to be a discussion about it you would think.

"do you really think a plastic water pump is a good idea? We could engineer a metal water pump."

"Nah, that would add to the costs. If it breaks under warranty we'll just fix it. If it breaks after warranty who gives a gently caress?"

That's like replacing the battery every oil change because the alternator only runs when coasting.

engineer: "but what about when it's out of warranty?"
accountant: "what ABOUT when it's out of warranty? that doesn't sound like our problem"

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Powershift posted:

That's like replacing the battery every oil change because the alternator only runs when coasting.

accountant: "hahaha.....HaHaHa....HAHAHAAHAHAAHAAAAHAAAAA"

FTFY

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Elem7 posted:

That list doesn't mean that Subaru's quality is bad.

Saddamnit
Jul 5, 2003

I have brained my damage.

Charles posted:

That list doesn't mean that Subaru's quality is bad.

Exactly. You look at some of the reliability rating lists (like consumer reports), Subaru is usually in the top 5 or 6.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Saddamnit posted:

Exactly. You look at some of the reliability rating lists (like consumer reports), Subaru is usually in the top 5 or 6.

Consumer reports top brands for 2018: BMW, Audi, Genesis.

Pay for placement at its finest or else they don’t factor in reliability.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Kraftwerk posted:

It's insane how you can spend close to 100k on a luxury car only to find out the water pump is completely made of plastic or the coolant runoff tank is actually a two piece plastic container glued together with adhesive that fails and leaks coolant everywhere....
Also brittle cheap plastic tubing that reacts bad to heat expansion... :psyduck:

Who makes loving decisions like that?

You either cut corners on the mechanicals and thes second owner after the lease has to buy a new car when it breaks, or you do what GM does and cut corners on the interior and convenience features so that everything you can see or use breaks but the car continues to run so you still keep it until you hate the brand forever because nothing works right

Saddamnit
Jul 5, 2003

I have brained my damage.

rdb posted:

Where's the proof that says they pay for placement? I know everyone here assumes that's what happens, but doesn't mean that it actually happens. Consumer reports describes their methodology here: https://www.consumerreports.org/cars-car-reliability-guide/

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Saddamnit posted:

Where's the proof that says they pay for placement? I know everyone here assumes that's what happens, but doesn't mean that it actually happens. Consumer reports describes their methodology here: https://www.consumerreports.org/cars-car-reliability-guide/

From what I hear it's not so much paying for placement, but if you talk with them and prioritize ir you can figure out how to game their system to get more points

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

From what I hear it's not so much paying for placement, but if you talk with them and prioritize ir you can figure out how to game their system to get more points

and its foolish to think that manufactures wouldn't do this, they game their cars to perform well at tests like the EPA MPG ones, rather than actual real world performance.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Feb 26, 2018

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

S★TRGEN

start ragin'

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

rdb posted:

Reliability's only part of it, and it's probably the hardest to game for a manufacturer. However, CR gets reliability from reader surveys, and how many people read CR and own luxury cars for the long term?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
I thought that for CR, reliability is rated separately from overall car rating when new

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

I thought that for CR, reliability is rated separately from overall car rating when new

For new cars, CR's overall scores and recommendations are based on the review, predicted reliability, predicted owner satisfaction, and safety features. Many of Toyota's cars get just okay reviews from CR's staff, but the standard safety features and reliability carry their lineup to recommendations.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
How is the gotta have it factor applied to the rating?

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
This isn't related to anything but, :lol:

quote:

I have a FICO score of 540, I make good money (100K+ a year) and have a good history with Ford Credit (2 years worth) . I went to the Ford dealership here in Orlando a few days ago and saw a new Raptor priced at almost 80K. I applied, surprisingly got approved through Ford Credit and had to put 15K down, my payment is about 1200.00 a month. There is hope

edit: his interest rate is about 12-13% assuming he did 72 months. but let's be real, it's not 72 months.

TheWevel fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Feb 26, 2018

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

With financial sense like that, no wonder the credit score is 540.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

A new raptor for 80k?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Powershift posted:

accountant: "what ABOUT when it's out of warranty? that doesn't sound like our problem"

Which models did this again? I have a friend that bought a used F30 and maybe I'll warn him about that when I'm in a good mood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

CornHolio posted:

Which models did this again? I have a friend that bought a used F30 and maybe I'll warn him about that when I'm in a good mood.

Cars with the N63 engine so anything x50i from 2008-2012

The engine seems to be complete garbage all around.